raven is back from NYC
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
9/24/2004  10:45 AM
Hope you guys are all doing well.

I came back yesterday from Montréal, after spending some days in Toronto and a week in NYC. My brain is still upside down but

At first thanks again for all your advices, I used that metrocard to death, had to buy another pair of sneakers cause my feet were really hurting, and had an awesome (to say the least) time in New York.

Without looking like a poor country man from eastern russia, I’ve been living in Paris for the past 10 yrs, had the chance to live in Beijing, spend a few months in Atlanta & London… Fact is, I had forgotten how you can feel tiny in a big city, a feeling I really rediscovered in NY. Guys, this city is huge. We love walking and are used to that, but this time we did that till we couldn’t walk and fell asleep on a sunny day in central park. Funny thing is that Toronto looked like a tiny village after NYC. Sad but true, it was very hard to fairly judge and appreciate toronto after a week in the big apple.

To date, 2 things I’m really sure of :
1 Though we tried to see as many things as possible in the less “tourist way” as possible, I think we only saw a fraction of the treasures NY can offer. So, we have to come back.
2 Next time I’ll come, I’ll do my best to come and see a game at the garden.

Seeing it for the first time with my own eyes and not on TV, wow, I was so excited. A great moment to be in front of this mythic arena, though I would have given a lot to have an opportunity to hear it rocking.

I feel I now much more understand why this city can’t accept the knicks to rebuild. Noise never stops, people never stop running, walking, driving… So I guess the knicks can’t stop either and take their time. Things must go quickly, results must be brought right now and long term plan must be erased from the dictionary.

Thanks again. I wish all fans here a great year and great season. Gonna be a tremendous year. Heck, I have to come back soon.

Peace !

raven

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/24/2004  11:09 AM
gonna put it here for a little while just cause everyone has been asking.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/24/2004  11:35 AM
Posted by raven:

I feel I now much more understand why this city can’t accept the knicks to rebuild. Noise never stops, people never stop running, walking, driving… So I guess the knicks can’t stop either and take their time. Things must go quickly, results must be brought right now and long term plan must be erased from the dictionary.

interesting observation
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
raven
Canada
9/24/2004  11:40 AM
Dunno who moved my OT topic (I swear I tried to do the things "the right way", ) thx andrew & martin.

So, what did i do ?

a lot of tourist stuffs, of course :
- empire state on a sunny day, great view & pics from there

- central park, so surprising to see a so big "green" area in a city. I even had an opportunity to save a turtle that was stuck between 2 rocks under the sun (please vote for raven as the hero of the day). This place is really wonderful and... so clean. No dog **** that you usually have to avoid in parks. great ! a lot of those tiny animals (don't know the word and don't have a dictionary), those rats with long tails that climb the trees.

- staten island ferry night and day to see the skyline, impressive though the guy that was working on the ferry seemed really sad and hurt when we talked about it. Wounds from September 11th seem to never fully heal. We went to ground zero, not as a tourist stuff, but to try to feel what this place used to be before that. I have to tell you that I was born on sept 11th 1976 and it was my 25th birthday the day the planes struck. So in a way it is a day I will never forget, and I wanted to go there to be sure I would not.

- wallstreet (on labor day the first time, that was empty like in the movie vanilla sky). Could only find one place open to drink a beer, a place named Ulysses I think. Nice beer.

- time square. ouch, that is a special place too. I went there a couple of times, night and day too. No camera can tell what your eyes catch there. I even had the chance to get myself lost on a party (brazilian or caribean, don't really know).

- the MET. Spent an entire day there. Though I visited many museum and am quite a knowledgeable person in terms of arts, painting... I'd like to to underline the fact that I was amazed by the quality (as well as quantity) of great paintings, sculptures, relics... that are showed in that museum. Never seen a museum like that out of Paris. What I appreciated the most is how things are showed in a very simple way, so that every single person has a chance to get close and take his time to appreciate and try to understand the paintings.

- shopping between canal street and union square. OK, i have to say that I nearly had to kidnap my own girlfriend as she was buying her 5th pair of sneakers, using the same sentence each time "look it's much cheaper than in France, and since the dollar is down right now, I have to buy them. I didn't check our bak accounts since that day, but in the hotel, I willingly put my bed against the exit door so that she could not shop while i was sleeping. Before criticizing me, think that I had not a lot of choices ! ļ

- chinatown. great experience too, as it reminded me my days as a student in china. I could practice my Chinese a bit, as it sometimes was easier for me to order in some restaurants that way.

- Greenwich and east village. Nice areas and so different than the place we were staying at (our 1st hotel was on the 53rd st and the second one was on the 59th). Small houses with a very special style. My girlfriend told me that Greenwich would be the only place in NY where she could live right now. It¡¦s a good point, at least she didn¡¦t say no when I asked her about moving. Call that a good first step.

- crossed brookly bridge by walk. Longer than planned, unfortunately, weather was cloudy and freaking windy that day. While we arrived in Brooklyn we had to retreat to get some warmer clothes (which took us 1h and a half btw). We could eat a very good pizz at the bottom of the bridge though.

- I though about one of you while I was I think in Washington square, and that I had just took a place on a bench a rasta guy came and wanted to sell me some weed. I kindly refused thinking and explained the whole story to my girlfriend. She asked me why it could possible for them to sell weed in that park if everybody knew about it. Instead of answering cause I didn¡¦t know what to say, I simply offered her to visit another foot locker store. ƒ¼

- of course we went to see MSG and took a few pics there. Next time, be sure I¡¦ll have tickets and the knicks will be playing. Hope some of you guys be there too.

¡K so many things we saw and did. I cant¡¦ even remember right now and write them all down. It was a great great time. Can¡¦t wait to come back !

raven
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
9/24/2004  11:41 AM
Glad you enjoyed NY - I live out on Long Island but used to work in the city. It is am amazing place to say the least.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
raven
Canada
9/24/2004  11:42 AM
Posted by martin:

gonna put it here for a little while just cause everyone has been asking.

thanks.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/24/2004  12:01 PM
Hey Raven,what is Montreal like? I might be moving there.
Bizzy211
Member: #601
USA
9/24/2004  12:02 PM
Great post. I had a good feeling while reading this. And when u mentioned about the city always moving, the one thing that came to mind were car horns and the smell of the hot dog stands. I miss and Love N.Y.
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/24/2004  12:30 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

i just got back from Montreal last week...i have to say, having grown up in NYC all my life, there is no other city that can compare...but Montreal had a different quality about it that was nice as well...it had a European flavor (the French speaking natives adds to that obviously) & i have to say, the relative proportion of attractive females over there is quite high...not too many fat cows walking around that i saw anyway.

btw, if you plan on driving up there, watch out for the troopers past Lake George...they are sneaky MO-FO's! & don't forget to visit some of the "Contact Dance" places up there...there's not too many places you can get your jollies for only $8 a pop unless you're married to it or dating it, in which case it costs a whole helluva lot more.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
9/24/2004  12:41 PM
btw raven, welcome back to the boards...it's great to hear you had a good time in NYC...hope you come visit again soon.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Kwazimodal
9/24/2004  12:43 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

i just got back from Montreal last week...i have to say, having grown up in NYC all my life, there is no other city that can compare...but Montreal had a different quality about it that was nice as well...it had a European flavor (the French speaking natives adds to that obviously) & i have to say, the relative proportion of attractive females over there is quite high...not too many fat cows walking around that i saw anyway.

btw, if you plan on driving up there, watch out for the troopers past Lake George...they are sneaky MO-FO's! & don't forget to visit some of the "Contact Dance" places up there...there's not too many places you can get your jollies for only $8 a pop unless you're married to it or dating it, in which case it costs a whole helluva lot more.

Thanks alot for the tips TMS.Ive heard montreal is a great place.I might be going to the CIA (culinary institute of america) to learn to be a chef and was thinking of maybe moving somewhere out of the country(especially if Bush wins) and open a restaurant.I speak french and I also like the fact that its not too far from NYC where I was born and raised as well.

Nice to hear there are some hot women in Montreal!Its weird when I used to visit my granfather up in Vancouver a long time ago I couldnt get over how there werent hardly any attractive girls there.Dont know if thats changed.

Thanks for the tips,especially the speed traps! I havent gotten a ticket in 11 yrs,dont ask me how.
TMS
USA
9/24/2004  12:59 PM
cool man...what kind of restaurant are you thinking of opening? French cuisine?

btw, i had read on a Maxim magazine article that Vancouver was the place to visit in Canada if you planned on going wild & having fun...maybe things have changed? how long ago were you there? what kind of fun can you have w/o any attractive females around?
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/24/2004  1:30 PM
Welcome back raven. glad you like NYC. But like always, I disagree with something u said,
I think the Knick fans will be patient through a real rebuilding process.
Seeing it for the first time with my own eyes and not on TV, wow, I was so excited. A great moment to be in front of this mythic arena
I get an awesome feeling everytime I get off the NJTransit train at Penn Station and walk upstairs. I love it and I can really understand how you felt.

It's good to have you back French man, and glad you had a fun trip.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
9/24/2004  1:47 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

Glad you enjoyed NY - I live out on Long Island but used to work in the city. It is am amazing place to say the least.

Oasis, what part? I am from Glen Cove, in the Nassau area on Long Island.

And raven, glad you had fun! NYC sure is fun man.
Kwazimodal
9/24/2004  1:53 PM
Posted by TMS:

cool man...what kind of restaurant are you thinking of opening? French cuisine?

btw, i had read on a Maxim magazine article that Vancouver was the place to visit in Canada if you planned on going wild & having fun...maybe things have changed? how long ago were you there? what kind of fun can you have w/o any attractive females around?

I was in high school in the early 80s and lucky to hook up with from what I could tell was the only cute girl in Vancouver.It was great but the next summer I saw here she went from cute to dressing up punk.Not a pretty sight..But it was a fun summer while it lasted.

I hear Vancouver has changed alot.I used to love going to the racetrack with my grandfather,it was built with this great view of the canadian rockies.They also have a great chinatown there too and stanley park is beautiful although I hear the city isnt as safe as it used to be.I might go back there someday to see how its changed.
Silverfuel
USA
9/24/2004  1:59 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

It was great but the next summer I saw here she went from cute to dressing up punk.Not a pretty sight.
LMAO
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/24/2004  2:04 PM
I spent 11 days in Quebec city last winter and was amazed how few fat people there are compared to USA. Manhatten is less cuz people walk, but "Generica", the land of malls and plent of super sized meals and people, we are getting real BIG.

I loved canada as a tourist. The tax struture is a bitch, but great people we met and the food is great. We are big on Hockey in our family, so we felt right at home. We root for Canada to win in the olympics and the world cup against all but the USA. Its their sport, they feel much better about things when Canadian hockey rules. Tampa Vs. Calgary in the stanley cup? No problem, We rooted for Calgary.

Tip: vacation in canada, its cheap vs. the dollar and its close by. Phuch Europe right now! (currancy wise that is!)

Raven, glad you enjoyed your stay!
Silverfuel
USA
9/24/2004  2:16 PM
How did this thread go from 'raven is back' to 'I was in Montreal for ....'?
TMS
USA
9/24/2004  2:21 PM
Posted by raven:

Hope you guys are all doing well.

I came back yesterday from Montréal, after spending some days in Toronto and a week in NYC.

that's how.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/24/2004  2:44 PM
Hey, welcome back raven. Glad you had a blast.
raven is back from NYC

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy