[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
5/31/2019  12:39 PM
smackeddog wrote:
JesseDark wrote:Knicks should take the BPA at 3 and take the phone off the hook. Why trade back if it is considered a 3 player draft?

Because if we sign KD and Kemba/Kyrie, it raises the question as to whether you want player with best upside but poor fit, or better fitting 3-D role player types.

I could see us moving back from 4 or 5, because the players projected between 4-10 are in the same tier. But for 3 no way.

AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/31/2019  12:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/31/2019  12:44 PM
martin wrote:

Bump, this one is a newer ESPN clip, the other one is pre-Duke, posted it a few weeks ago.

A couple of things from the last one. They complimented RJ's ability to stop and go on a dime and finish strong like a smaller player. DSJr has that in his game. Another thing they talk about is his ability to take long strides to the rim. Reminded me of Giannis. Its another thing to show this ability at the NBA level, but Barrett looks like he's got it.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/31/2019  12:41 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Knicks are in a great position right now. If anybody wants to trade for the 3rd pick then you ask for 3 first round picks. If Atlanta wants RJ then give me the 8th, 10th and 35th pick of this years draft plus a future 1st rounder. If not then I pick RJ. That is the price.

We already have our all our 1st round picks, plus the two from Dallas. If we were back in the days when all our draft picks were spoken for (for years) Id agree about maybe trading this pick for more picks.

I wouldn't pass on Barrett for draft picks. Highest pick since 85', hope Perry/Mills drafts Barrett, and dont look back.

It depends. I'm sure there were some Boston fans who wanted the Celtics to take Fultz. RJ has potential, but he is no guarantee to be a star in this league. I'm not sure 8&10 is enough to trade down in this draft, but we need to keep all our options open. Heck, I'd be open to trading for future draft picks that line up with the time high schoolers become eligible. I want the Knicks front office to check every box.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/31/2019  12:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/31/2019  12:50 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Knicks are in a great position right now. If anybody wants to trade for the 3rd pick then you ask for 3 first round picks. If Atlanta wants RJ then give me the 8th, 10th and 35th pick of this years draft plus a future 1st rounder. If not then I pick RJ. That is the price.

We already have our all our 1st round picks, plus the two from Dallas. If we were back in the days when all our draft picks were spoken for (for years) Id agree about maybe trading this pick for more picks.

I wouldn't pass on Barrett for draft picks. Highest pick since 85', hope Perry/Mills drafts Barrett, and dont look back.

It depends. I'm sure there were some Boston fans who wanted the Celtics to take Fultz. RJ has potential, but he is no guarantee to be a star in this league. I'm not sure 8&10 is enough to trade down in this draft, but we need to keep all our options open. Heck, I'd be open to trading for future draft picks that line up with the time high schoolers become eligible. I want the Knicks front office to check every box.

No guarantee the picks we get will be stars either. Fultz's injury was a freak accident, having nothing to do with his game. Wouldn't sleep on Fultz in Orl. Barrett looks like the real deal at SG. We already have recent picks who are starting to show something as well. Dont see the need to pass on Barett, for a player(s) who might not be available down the road.

Sambakick
Member: #5646

5/31/2019  6:46 PM
Memphis has FOMO on RJ

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/mark-giannotto/2019/05/31/nba-draft-memphis-grizzlies-rj-barrett-ja-morant/3743916002/

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
JesseDark
Member: #467
5/31/2019  6:48 PM
Knixkik wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
JesseDark wrote:Knicks should take the BPA at 3 and take the phone off the hook. Why trade back if it is considered a 3 player draft?

Because if we sign KD and Kemba/Kyrie, it raises the question as to whether you want player with best upside but poor fit, or better fitting 3-D role player types.

I could see us moving back from 4 or 5, because the players projected between 4-10 are in the same tier. But for 3 no way.

I'm already having flashbacks of moving Nene for Antonio McDyss on draft night.

Bring back dee-fense
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/31/2019  7:14 PM
JesseDark wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

That sucked!!!
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
6/1/2019  1:07 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
Put some perspective on his name....the kid is just 18....what do you expect??? He is nowhere near a finished product. The kid averaged 22 per in one of the tougher conferences with a generational talent on the team.

Cut the kid some slack.

If I can get good value out of the 3rd pick I'd do it. These are the qualities people bring regarding RJ that quite frankly I don't care about at all:
1) Stop on a dime
2) Great downhill player
3) Good at Attacking the rim / Aggressive seeking contact
4) Good body control

These are the things I want in a wing:
1) Excellent shooting - 3 pointers and free throws
2) High IQ
3) Excellent defense - both on ball and help
4) Court vision

Just watch the finals and you will see the types of players that excel. High volume inefficient scorers that are super athletes get exposed if they can't shoot and can't defend. Physical tools are only part of the story, you need high skill players in todays game. I think there's too many holes in RJs game to not even consider trading down to get good value back.

Rose is not the answer.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/1/2019  2:08 PM
knickstorrents wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
Put some perspective on his name....the kid is just 18....what do you expect??? He is nowhere near a finished product. The kid averaged 22 per in one of the tougher conferences with a generational talent on the team.

Cut the kid some slack.

If I can get good value out of the 3rd pick I'd do it. These are the qualities people bring regarding RJ that quite frankly I don't care about at all:
1) Stop on a dime
2) Great downhill player
4) Good body control

These are the things I want in a wing:
1) Excellent shooting - 3 pointers and free throws
2) High IQ
3) Excellent defense - both on ball and help
4) Court vision

Just watch the finals and you will see the types of players that excel. High volume inefficient scorers that are super athletes get exposed if they can't shoot and can't defend. Physical tools are only part of the story, you need high skill players in todays game. I think there's too many holes in RJs game to not even consider trading down to get good value back.

1) Stop on a dime
2) Great downhill player
4) Good body control

The above qualities are essential abilities for your primary or secondary initiators. They don't guarantee stardom, but they are things that can't be taught. You can improve three point shooting and court awareness. Now, I'm not as high on Barrett as some on this forum. I think he's a secondary initiator at best. I think he will be an empty stats for any team that asks him to be their lead creator. Still, I would rather take a chance on him than Culver. Yes, Culver has court vision and he defends. But his shooting is iffy for lead initiator type and he doesn't really have the burst to consistently stress the defense. He smells like a role player at the he next level and there's nothing wrong with that. I can still see him starting on a good team, but I think most people want more out of the third pick.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
6/3/2019  7:29 PM
The Athletic’s scouting report on RJ. From a reddit poster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYKnicks/comments/bwfn8n/just_how_good_is_rj_barrett_a_comprehensive/?st=JWH063CW&sh=7c30bab9

PresIke
Member: #33
USA
6/3/2019  9:38 PM
Because some scouts have their doubts.

"Watching highlight videos now is about the worst thing you can do."

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

6/4/2019  11:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/4/2019  11:11 AM
CrushAlot wrote:The Athletic’s scouting report on RJ. From a reddit poster.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYKnicks/comments/bwfn8n/just_how_good_is_rj_barrett_a_comprehensive/?st=JWH063CW&sh=7c30bab9

Good article. It came with a pic too. 18 years old? Sign him up!

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
knickstorrents
Hong Kong
6/4/2019  11:50 AM
https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2019/6/4/18649395/five-graphs-jarrett-culver-and-r-j-barrett
Rose is not the answer.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/4/2019  12:53 PM
JesseDark wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Godamit! Why? Why share that with everybody? Now I am thinking bad thoughts and lose out on everything.
CrushAlot
USA
6/4/2019  4:19 PM
knickstorrents wrote:https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2019/6/4/18649395/five-graphs-jarrett-culver-and-r-j-barrett
i heard a podcast with Johnston Wasserman where I thought he was a bit dismissive of Spencer Pearlman’s take on RJ. He said Spencer was going on the synergy stats in his comparison of RJ and Cukver. Wasserman, Vecenie, Givony and Schmidts are guys that have watched RJ for years and make a good living providing their analysis. The only one from that group that might hedge on RJ at three is Schmidt. Yesterday Vecenie was talking about how much RJ had improved his jumper over the last 18 months and mentioned that he didn’t see it as a weakness going forward. I hope the Knicks don’t over think this. RJ is the second or third best pick in this draft and after that the drop off is considerable.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/4/2019  6:28 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
knickstorrents wrote:https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2019/6/4/18649395/five-graphs-jarrett-culver-and-r-j-barrett
i heard a podcast with Johnston Wasserman where I thought he was a bit dismissive of Spencer Pearlman’s take on RJ. He said Spencer was going on the synergy stats in his comparison of RJ and Cukver. Wasserman, Vecenie, Givony and Schmidts are guys that have watched RJ for years and make a good living providing their analysis. The only one from that group that might hedge on RJ at three is Schmidt. Yesterday Vecenie was talking about how much RJ had improved his jumper over the last 18 months and mentioned that he didn’t see it as a weakness going forward. I hope the Knicks don’t over think this. RJ is the second or third best pick in this draft and after that the drop off is considerable.

Yeah, we should be excited about RJ. With that said, I am hoping the Knicks are excited about both RJ and Ja equally. If there is that teny tiny chance (Maybe 1% chance?) that Ja falls to us, the Knicks should be celebrating.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
knickstorrents
Hong Kong
6/5/2019  2:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/5/2019  2:50 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

I'm open to new information, let me try to find this podcast.... Thank you.
Just finished listening to it... Wasserman didn't really give specifics other than his own feelings on why RJ Barrett would succeed... and his upside comparable for RJ is Demar Derozan!!! To me this is not a ringing endorsement. The biggest positive I got out of the podcast was that RJ is an absolute gamer and has a winning mentality. But I'm still not sold on his game especially when you see the types of players in the finals (Curry, Draymond, Kawhi) and those that got knocked out (Derozan, Lillard)

Rose is not the answer.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/5/2019  8:59 AM
How about making the playoffs?
IF RJ is Deronzeon, multiple all star and various all team dude your missing just one thing with him, the clutch gene. Do you not have wanted the next Ewing or Barkley because they never won a chip? Often its the team . Durant had to leave OKC to get in the conversation which he is now in. You don’t want Lillard but want Curry. We all do. Both drafted in the same position funny enough both widely exceeded draft position. Derozen did not have this version of Pascal Siakim and Derozon is not Kawhi.
IF not RJ, then who? Culver? Who is he compared to?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/5/2019  9:12 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Yeah, we should be excited about RJ. With that said, I am hoping the Knicks are excited about both RJ and Ja equally. If there is that teny tiny chance (Maybe 1% chance?) that Ja falls to us, the Knicks should be celebrating.

I think a lot of us rank Barrett higher than Morant. Younger, more proven against elite competition, more suited for NY spotlight, and better positional size for today's game. And it's not a knock on Morant, i think he's a great prospect and i would be happy with either.

knickstorrents
Hong Kong
6/5/2019  9:13 AM
I'd rather get 2 shots at the draft rather than 1, since I don't think RJ Barrett is that great. Given that it's a crapshoot, I'd rather get 2 shots at a star rather than 1.

So if I can trade down and get Jarrett Culver who I like much more, and another pick, even if its late in the lottery like 20 plus, I think its worth it. Because RJ Barrett is the type of player that helps sell tickets, not win games.

Rose is not the answer.
Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy