[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?
Author Thread
ekstarks94
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6104

5/30/2019  2:47 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I could see the Lakers taking Culver @ 4, so I wouldn't trade back to 5.

I hope the Knicks just draft RJ at 3 and try to sign KD and Kyrie. I don't want to do a five quarters for a dollar trade for AD and have no roster depth. Also, if KD wants to win his own ring, how does winning one with AD accomplish that? I like AD, but I hope the Knicks don't trade all their youth away to build a "super team".

Not a huge RJ fan yet, but he's definitely the best prospect at 3 and I might take him over Morant as well. I would worry we'd get burned passing on him. I think he could be a mix of Jalen Rose and Harden at the next level. With the way fouls are called in the league today, he'd clean up. Also, I watched the Duke team a bunch - there was no spacing at all and RJ is clearly a guy who would benefit playing off guys who could shoot. (i.e. Knox, KD, Kyrie, etc)

I've heard him compared to Harden and TMac. He put up historic numbers for a freshman in the ACC. I am commenting on your post because you would take him but aren't excited. I am really commenting at others that don't like his game and would take Garland or Culver or some other lotto ticket. RJ was the consensus #1 overall pick in the pre season. I wish he was a better/more efficient shooter but I mean ****, we are stumbling into a blue chip prospect. Sure, that might not pan out. But I would rather bet on a blue chip at a discount than some crazy random best case scenario

100%

AUTOADVERT
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
5/30/2019  3:55 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but let's say, very hypothetically, if KD comes then... then this is probably our last chance to get a starter on a rookie deal. We def got one in Mitch Rob. Maybe Knox. RJ we better not trade out of .
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/30/2019  4:20 PM
ramtour420 wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned, but let's say, very hypothetically, if KD comes then... then this is probably our last chance to get a starter on a rookie deal. We def got one in Mitch Rob. Maybe Knox. RJ we better not trade out of .

I agree about RJ. But we also have six firsts over the next four years from 2020 to 2023 (our own and two dallas picks (and we have two Charlotte seconds that could be high 30s)...

We should be able to draft another starter, or hopefully two with six first rounders. Even if that means packaging a few to move up. It's imperative to keep drafting well whether you are drafting in the lotto or mid or late first.

¿ △ ?
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
5/30/2019  5:54 PM
crzymdups wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned, but let's say, very hypothetically, if KD comes then... then this is probably our last chance to get a starter on a rookie deal. We def got one in Mitch Rob. Maybe Knox. RJ we better not trade out of .

I agree about RJ. But we also have six firsts over the next four years from 2020 to 2023 (our own and two dallas picks (and we have two Charlotte seconds that could be high 30s)...

We should be able to draft another starter, or hopefully two with six first rounders. Even if that means packaging a few to move up. It's imperative to keep drafting well whether you are drafting in the lotto or mid or late first.

Ok we will get more chances, but trying to add a starter with ,say, an 8th pick is a whole another story. Yes there are some drafts 5-6 players deep but how often do those come around? Some drafts are 1-2 players deep. Yes we can also luck out and move up but that's such a low% chance. We will likely not see another top 3 pick if KD signs. Maybe that Dallas unprotected could be an exception, can't count on that tho

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/30/2019  6:46 PM
Check the market, but in the end, don’t overthink: pick R.J. and move on.
Knicks_Fan
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/30/2019  8:54 PM
RJ reminds me of a lefty Scottie Pippen. When RJ retires I hope his espn description is that he dunked really hard on KP
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/30/2019  8:56 PM
NYKBocker wrote:RJ reminds me of a lefty Scottie Pippen. When RJ retires I hope his espn description is that he dunked really hard on KP

...on his way to one of many rings with the Knicks.

Knicks_Fan
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/30/2019  9:16 PM
NYKBocker wrote:RJ reminds me of a lefty Scottie Pippen. When RJ retires I hope his espn description is that he dunked really hard on KP

Scottie Pippen over Ewing style? That's cold man

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
NYKBocker
USA
5/30/2019  9:17 PM
martin wrote:
You ever see Pippen 's info on the screen on espn? I thought it was hilarious but you are right. Cold.
Sambakick
Member: #5646

5/30/2019  9:18 PM
martin wrote:

It says more for Patrick that he's the one thing keeping Scotty relevant after all these years.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
5/30/2019  11:36 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I could see the Lakers taking Culver @ 4, so I wouldn't trade back to 5.

I hope the Knicks just draft RJ at 3 and try to sign KD and Kyrie. I don't want to do a five quarters for a dollar trade for AD and have no roster depth. Also, if KD wants to win his own ring, how does winning one with AD accomplish that? I like AD, but I hope the Knicks don't trade all their youth away to build a "super team".

Not a huge RJ fan yet, but he's definitely the best prospect at 3 and I might take him over Morant as well. I would worry we'd get burned passing on him. I think he could be a mix of Jalen Rose and Harden at the next level. With the way fouls are called in the league today, he'd clean up. Also, I watched the Duke team a bunch - there was no spacing at all and RJ is clearly a guy who would benefit playing off guys who could shoot. (i.e. Knox, KD, Kyrie, etc)

I've heard him compared to Harden and TMac. He put up historic numbers for a freshman in the ACC. I am commenting on your post because you would take him but aren't excited. I am really commenting at others that don't like his game and would take Garland or Culver or some other lotto ticket. RJ was the consensus #1 overall pick in the pre season. I wish he was a better/more efficient shooter but I mean ****, we are stumbling into a blue chip prospect. Sure, that might not pan out. But I would rather bet on a blue chip at a discount than some crazy random best case scenario

My problem with RJ - he's not great at things that you need in a superstar in todays game. He's not a great shooter. He's not a great defender (though he has the physique to do so). He's not a great passer. He's a volume shooter with questionable decision making. If you can get assets for him I'd go for it. Harden is a great shooter. Pippen is a great defender. RJ is neither of those things yet.

Rose is not the answer.
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

5/31/2019  5:19 AM
knickstorrents wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

My problem with RJ - he's not great at things that you need in a superstar in todays game. He's not a great shooter. He's not a great defender (though he has the physique to do so). He's not a great passer. He's a volume shooter with questionable decision making. If you can get assets for him I'd go for it. Harden is a great shooter. Pippen is a great defender. RJ is neither of those things yet.

Put some perspective on his name....the kid is just 18....what do you expect??? He is nowhere near a finished product. The kid averaged 22 per in one of the tougher conferences with a generational talent on the team.

Cut the kid some slack.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/31/2019  6:54 AM
knickstorrents wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

The players you mention had things to work on when they came out to the NBA. Your comparing HOF talent to a one and done kid. Zion is a god, but his outside shooting is not great. Morant has holes in his game.

Jordan went no 3 behind Sam Bowie and Hakeem. Bowie was polished. Hakeem was a freak but fundamentally no offense. Yet!!! Jordan was a skinny sophomore but was not seen as the god he became. The point? Very few players are a sure thing. Zion for all his freakish attributes has a body not easily comparable to another. That makes him special and intriguing or its a warning. Take away his highlight hops and who is he? Because 82 games is going to be a big adjustment for him as will the wear and tear of what we saw. You take him for sure, but Barrett might be special too. Not Jordan special, but really whose to say not??? “HINDSIGHT WILL”!!

smackeddog
Member: #883
5/31/2019  11:18 AM

Interesting that the Knicks seemed to get Hahn and Bagely to instantly strike this down:

JesseDark
Member: #467
5/31/2019  11:27 AM
Knicks should take the BPA at 3 and take the phone off the hook. Why trade back if it is considered a 3 player draft?
Bring back dee-fense
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/31/2019  11:34 AM
JesseDark wrote:Knicks should take the BPA at 3 and take the phone off the hook. Why trade back if it is considered a 3 player draft?

Because if we sign KD and Kemba/Kyrie, it raises the question as to whether you want player with best upside but poor fit, or better fitting 3-D role player types.

NYKBocker
USA
5/31/2019  12:05 PM
Knicks are in a great position right now. If anybody wants to trade for the 3rd pick then you ask for 3 first round picks. If Atlanta wants RJ then give me the 8th, 10th and 35th pick of this years draft plus a future 1st rounder. If not then I pick RJ. That is the price.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/31/2019  12:17 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Knicks are in a great position right now. If anybody wants to trade for the 3rd pick then you ask for 3 first round picks. If Atlanta wants RJ then give me the 8th, 10th and 35th pick of this years draft plus a future 1st rounder. If not then I pick RJ. That is the price.

We already have our all our 1st round picks, plus the two from Dallas. If we were back in the days when all our draft picks were spoken for (for years) Id agree about maybe trading this pick for more picks.

I wouldn't pass on Barrett for draft picks. Highest pick since 85', hope Perry/Mills drafts Barrett, and dont look back.

NYKBocker
USA
5/31/2019  12:19 PM
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/31/2019  12:37 PM
Im ok with them "Investigating" the possibility. If the thought is to sign Durant and say Kyrie you have to think there would be "timeline" trade(s) also to put an in the moment team around them.
I Mitch is not ready for deep playoff runs! Nor Knox, or DSjr. Im not sayting all get traded, but you get the jest.
Would Hunter be as good as Knox the next two years?? Is Redish seen as Knox and might need work but good upside over the longer run? See what Im doing, I still have a player for later.
This is not my preference. just looking at scenarios and trying to understand.
Why are we not that excited to add RJ Barrett?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy