[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Best Chance for Knicks to Get AD
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
5/18/2019  11:47 AM
blkexec wrote:Mitch is no AD....want to make that clear first.

But Mitch has proven that he can guard AD...Especially if he improves physically and mentally over the summer. Mitch is younger than his age. When talking to him in person, it's obvious. His maturity level was very low....almost like talking to a HS kid. By now his confidence should be sky high, and knicks staff should be pumping him with workouts and routines to improve his basketball skills.

I dont trust ADs health...or committment. Yes hes a star player, but GS is showing you that its possible to win a chip with only 2 superstars....as long as you have a Draymond Green and iggy....with role players that knows their role.

But I think the Knicks are probably watching the Bucks in the playoffs and thinking they really need someone who can counter Giannis (and also Embiid). if you think about it the East could be severely weakened next season- Kawhi might go west, Celtics might lose Kyrie, Pacers have their best player returning late from a difficult injury, Butler and harris might leave the Sixers.

So really the east could be dominated the next few years by Embiid and Giannis, so I get the need to at least consider AD.

I'm not a fan of 3 star lineups though as one has to greatly defer- I'd rather have two and a deeper team with developing players who might make the next step.

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
5/18/2019  12:00 PM

Guilty as charged!

blkexec
Member: #748
5/18/2019  12:23 PM
smackeddog wrote:
blkexec wrote:Mitch is no AD....want to make that clear first.

But Mitch has proven that he can guard AD...Especially if he improves physically and mentally over the summer. Mitch is younger than his age. When talking to him in person, it's obvious. His maturity level was very low....almost like talking to a HS kid. By now his confidence should be sky high, and knicks staff should be pumping him with workouts and routines to improve his basketball skills.

I dont trust ADs health...or committment. Yes hes a star player, but GS is showing you that its possible to win a chip with only 2 superstars....as long as you have a Draymond Green and iggy....with role players that knows their role.

But I think the Knicks are probably watching the Bucks in the playoffs and thinking they really need someone who can counter Giannis (and also Embiid). if you think about it the East could be severely weakened next season- Kawhi might go west, Celtics might lose Kyrie, Pacers have their best player returning late from a difficult injury, Butler and harris might leave the Sixers.

So really the east could be dominated the next few years by Embiid and Giannis, so I get the need to at least consider AD.

I'm not a fan of 3 star lineups though as one has to greatly defer- I'd rather have two and a deeper team with developing players who might make the next step.

I agree....2 star lineups with hope that 1 of your young high draft picks will step up.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/19/2019  10:52 AM
Yes, the formula seems to be have 3 “Stars”. Have to grow at least one. GSW core was Dray, Klay and Steph. Dray is not a star but the glue. Add Durant you have the possible three peat. Without him they did win won, then after record win season didn’t. Health always plays a role.
That 73 win team as epic and lost on a lot of folks is how great was Lebron rising up his team to defeat perhaps the best team (Record wise) of all time!!
PHils great teams in Chicago and LA WERE THE GREAT TEAM!
Knicks Time line is the issue if immediate gratification is the focus.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/19/2019  12:21 PM
Nalod wrote:Yes, the formula seems to be have 3 “Stars”. Have to grow at least one. GSW core was Dray, Klay and Steph. Dray is not a star but the glue. Add Durant you have the possible three peat. Without him they did win won, then after record win season didn’t. Health always plays a role.
That 73 win team as epic and lost on a lot of folks is how great was Lebron rising up his team to defeat perhaps the best team (Record wise) of all time!!

The Draymond suspension helped that year.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

5/19/2019  8:41 PM
Nalod wrote:Yes, the formula seems to be have 3 “Stars”.

The "formula" is to have the Bird Rights of your key players and you HOPE, you just HOPE, you can get them to accelerate in value during their rookie contracts while they have some cost controlled value to the team.

If you want to build a team with depth and with critical talent that is a true contender, you need to go over the cap and into the tax zone. You only do that with Bird Rights and you only really do that by drafting those players ( trade and FA is too hard to get the cap/money to work right, nearly impossible)

That's it. You take the simple and make it insanely complicated.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
5/19/2019  9:05 PM
We should not trade Mitch unless two things occur: 1) AD signs an extension for at least 3 years; and 2) KD or Kauai Leonard say they will sign if we can get AD. If you don't have both things locked up, I would not trade Mitch and RJ Barrett and picks for a potential 1 year rental of AD. I hope Knicks are smart enough not to make that move
Trust the Process
smackeddog
5/20/2019  4:46 AM
TheGame wrote:We should not trade Mitch unless two things occur: 1) AD signs an extension for at least 3 years; and 2) KD or Kauai Leonard say they will sign if we can get AD. If you don't have both things locked up, I would not trade Mitch and RJ Barrett and picks for a potential 1 year rental of AD. I hope Knicks are smart enough not to make that move

I'm more worried about how exactly you upgrade the backcourt if we just land KD and AD, especially if you give up DSJ and Frank (not that I'm high on either of them)- and by upgrade, I mean get to a point where you have at least an average, starting backcourt.

Nalod
USA
5/20/2019  6:41 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:Yes, the formula seems to be have 3 “Stars”. Have to grow at least one. GSW core was Dray, Klay and Steph. Dray is not a star but the glue. Add Durant you have the possible three peat. Without him they did win won, then after record win season didn’t. Health always plays a role.

The Draymond suspension helped that year.

What amazing this year is Durant and Draymond had a beef early in the year. Drays response was to get in shape, lose weight and stop getting techs/doing stupid shyt. Rather then worry about Durant leaving he took this play to the next level. That he did this mid season and not an over the summer kind of thing is super impressive.
No doubt being is better shape reduces fatigue and it improves mental control.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

5/20/2019  7:29 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:Yes, the formula seems to be have 3 “Stars”.

The "formula" is to have the Bird Rights of your key players and you HOPE, you just HOPE, you can get them to accelerate in value during their rookie contracts while they have some cost controlled value to the team.

If you want to build a team with depth and with critical talent that is a true contender, you need to go over the cap and into the tax zone. You only do that with Bird Rights and you only really do that by drafting those players ( trade and FA is too hard to get the cap/money to work right, nearly impossible)

That's it. You take the simple and make it insanely complicated.

Yep, once again you are correct. The Knicks could be setup really well if Barrett is a star. I think Robiinson has already showed enough to be considered a hugely valuable piece. I think they would be insane to trade him.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

5/20/2019  12:38 PM
Honestly I want no part of trading for Davis. It has nothing to do with his talent,we know how great of a player he is. My two biggest concerns are his frequent injuries and the amount of assets we would have to give. Obviously we have been down this road before and it didnt turn out well. But now the cost would be more. Honestly im hoping the Lakers get the deal done and we can focus on our draft/free agency. I for one and very happy to get Barrett. I also dont want to give away Mitch or Knox. Im not suggesting Mitch is anywhere close to AD but he brings so much to the table especially on a cheap longterm rookie deal. Last year impressed us and that was after missing an entire year. Knox I know plays out of control sometimes but he is so young and raw. He will get better and better. I think Calipari said 3 years down the road he will seem like a steal. Perry and Mills said that they arent trading picks/young assets so I hope they stick to their plan
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
5/20/2019  2:26 PM
Couldn't agree more StarksEwing1... odds are good that one of our talented young players turns into a decent player (Mitch, Knox, DSJr, Dotson, Frank) if we give them the 2-3 years that they would normally have finishing in college. I don't even like Knox as a prospect, but hope the FO shows maturity and not impulsivity for a change
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/22/2019  9:55 AM
http://clutchpoints.com/the-new-york-knicks-shouldnt-trade-for-anthony-davis/amp/
fwk00
Member: #6048

5/22/2019  4:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/22/2019  4:03 PM
blkexec wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
blkexec wrote:I wouldnt make any deal until I know for sure KD is coming....Once its confirmed, u do whatever it takes to get AD here. Miami and Boston already set the blue print for building an overnight championship team.

KD and AD will attract all the missing pieces....to finally get a chip.

Personally I have a connection with MR, since we balled at the same gym prior to his draft. But if MR is the missing piece, u have to include him as a last resort.

Wow, I thought you'd be the one person adamant about keeping Mitch hahaha. I'm sure there were people in Boston adamant about keep Al Jefferson when they trade for KG. I'm sure there are people saying they would never give up Tatum in an AD deal. But as much potential as Mitch has, you just don't know. I'd like to see all the youth develop, but our window shortens the moment KD signs. This will be Perry biggest test.

Last resort man....

But I woke up this morning and watched a KD scouting video on RJ and he loves him. This had me thinking.

Is it smart to gut your team of young players that wants to be in ny, for AD who made it clear he prefers his hometown team LA.

I dont trust the knicks with these over haul trades. I was against the melo trade. And now I'm having second thoughts on AD.

We are in a better situation now since NO has zion....and NO wasnt Zions preferred destination. What better way for NO to show they are committed to making zion happy, by adding RJ. RJ is a better trade chip than anybody else, due to zion instant chemistry and feeds his home sickness playing with his buddy since they appear to be very close.

Knicks should play hard ball.

RJ with young assets and depth

Vs

AD who's injury prone and hasnt proved to make his teammates better.

IDK, is this "gutting the team of its assets" meme is actually all that true.

A Pelicans deal at its core would have to be has to include pick #3, two future picks [likely the Dallas picks], and no more than three other players, so a 4 for one swap [#3 being the phantom].

MR, Knox, and DSJ would be the likely marquee players. That hardly strips the cupboard bare.

Knicks would still have a formidable set of young assets in Frankie, Dotson, Allen, Trier, and so on. And you can interchange these names quite a bit. Maybe the Pels want Frankie, or Trier or Dotson rather than Knox or DSJ. Again, what's so stripped down?

And AD's current salary may give a little wiggle room for an extra FA role player to slide in. So while an argument can be made for and against an AD trade, I'm not sure that the comparison to the Melo trade makes sense. *That* set of young players were winning some games together and looking like they had the chemistry to gel. Our current lot simply doesn't have that charisma.

jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
5/23/2019  12:03 AM
3 1st round picks and 3 highly drafted players (less then 3 years in the league) is draining the cupboard and too much of our youth. Then there's the financial implications in addition...

Mitch - started potential with minimal coaching (no college) after just 1 season
Knox - who knows - a chucker so far but only 1 season after 1 college season
DSJr - has all the tools but not sure if he has the mental makeup and discipline to become a starting point

#3/RJ - seems like a can't miss prospect with potential to be a cornerstone
Dallas #1 pick - who knows?
Dallas #1 pick - who knows?

It's too much even if Knox and DSJr turn out to be just bench players... One AD injury or poor chemistry and you're basically sunk if you give this many resources away for 1 player. If either Knox or DSJr turn into players, or if one of the Dallas picks becomes a good player... we'll regret this in 3 years. And I don't value Knox or Frank, Trier or DSJr that much - they're expendable in my eyes. But the odds are greater that 1 our of our 5 young players will work out and become a really player. IMO better then the odds that adding 3 max guys will have the right chemistry, suffer no injuries, mix well with a team comprised of vet minimum-type players and win us a championship in the next 2-3 years.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

5/23/2019  5:21 AM
blkexec wrote:

MRob hasn't proven jack ****. He's had a nice rookie season. Good for him. Lots of potential. Did some really nice things. But he's only been in the league one year. Show it consistently for a couple of more seasons and then you have something. Show it when teams are bracketing him by focusing on neutralizing him and he still produces and then you have something. Have him do it after grinding down game after game and proving he can be durable and counter adjust to when teams are going to naturally adjust to him and then you have something.

I'm happy for MRob and happy for the Knicks that he's done well, but it's no lock in that he will stay on this current trajectory.

Golden State has BIRD RIGHTS to their key players and are wing dominant and can shoot the three ball at a historic rate.

Green and Durant are really jumbo wings who can defend the rim and operate out in space as well as handle big men/bigger players. Iggy , Curry and Thompson are also all versatile wings ( Curry is more akin to an attack guard)

You need more than just two random superstars.

Everyone seems to ignore the issue that the Warriors have the BIRD RIGHTS to all of these players and will get Durants full Bird Rights this offseason. If you don't make the money work, you can't make a team work.

You also seem to ignore this league is built around wing depth. AD and Irving are both technically superstars. But so were Griffin and Paul in LA. But that mix of cap hit and roles are tough to build around ( it's still better than 90 percent of other teams, but if the goal is to win a ring, you need wings more than pivots and attack guards and powerforwards)

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/29/2019  11:39 AM
If the Lakers land AD, pretty sure Kyrie will follow. Pelicans might want to get AD out of the West though. With the constant drama surrounding the Lakers (not the Knicks!) guessing ownership is going to want to pull out all the stops to change the headlines, make a better offer.

Hard to say how long that big 3 would last. Kyrie and AD having their share of injuries. LeBron will be the most rested he has been going into a season since entering the league. Will be dangerous for a few years, at least. Pelicans would be on a different timetable with all the recent picks going their way.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lakers-the-favorite-to-land-anthony-davis-according-to-oddsmaker-141202208.html

Cheer up, Los Angeles Lakers fans, things will be better in the offseason. Ignore all the drama surrounding Magic Johnson, Rob Pelinka and Heath Ledger and focus on the fact that your team is the favorite to land Anthony Davis this offseason.

At least, that’s what one oddsmaker believes. Sportsbetting.ag lists the Lakers as a slight favorite over both the New Orleans Pelicans and Boston Celtics for Davis.

How close is it? Well, the Lakers are listed at plus-100 to open the 2019-20 season with Davis. The Pelicans and Celtics are both plus-200. The New York Knicks are the only other team with odds to land Davis. They are listed at plus-400.

Nalod
USA
5/29/2019  12:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/29/2019  12:41 PM
GustavBahler wrote:If the Lakers land AD, pretty sure Kyrie will follow. Pelicans might want to get AD out of the West though. With the constant drama surrounding the Lakers (not the Knicks!) guessing ownership is going to want to pull out all the stops to change the headlines, make a better offer.

Hard to say how long that big 3 would last. Kyrie and AD having their share of injuries. LeBron will be the most rested he has been going into a season since entering the league. Will be dangerous for a few years, at least. Pelicans would be on a different timetable with all the recent picks going their way.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lakers-the-favorite-to-land-anthony-davis-according-to-oddsmaker-141202208.html

Cheer up, Los Angeles Lakers fans, things will be better in the offseason. Ignore all the drama surrounding Magic Johnson, Rob Pelinka and Heath Ledger and focus on the fact that your team is the favorite to land Anthony Davis this offseason.

At least, that’s what one oddsmaker believes. Sportsbetting.ag lists the Lakers as a slight favorite over both the New Orleans Pelicans and Boston Celtics for Davis.

How close is it? Well, the Lakers are listed at plus-100 to open the 2019-20 season with Davis. The Pelicans and Celtics are both plus-200. The New York Knicks are the only other team with odds to land Davis. They are listed at plus-400.

Financially can the lakers do that? Is it three guys and 12 on Minimums?
Did anyone see the dramas last season? Not really. So why would we expect it to continue? I read today the clusterphuch of the draft where at the last minute they went with Wagner over Spellman. Dumb.
Media loves to talk about knick dysfunction as a reason to stay away but Post phil it looks like a rather calm process outside of Dolan and Oak.
Lakers got something that helps: The 4th pick. Its an asset. While I have enjoyed magic's reign of dysfunction and his denials the facts are they are working to consolidate and refine what was obviously a rogue situation. Should not be that hard to fix. Hard part is coming to the realization of the problem and then streamlining.
That said, can Lakers reasonably trade for AD and sign Kyrie with Lebron already eating big salary?
I get it, its southern Cali and its nice.

Kyrie bought a new home in in Orange NJ. Thus we speculate Brooklyn? He Does Kyrie on a guard talented team (they could make trades)make sense? Do they want to keep growing Russell as the floor leader? Brooklyn needs a star attraction. Not sure where to go on that.

It all begins and ends with Durant for knicks. As for recruiting, if its not in the media does it mean it does not exist? for that matter, lots of players might be reaching out to Kyrie.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
5/29/2019  12:38 PM
The main concern/annoying part about AD is that he can become a free agent after the season, which means:
1) you can sign him a year from now without losing anything - or at the very least, carefully unloading players to create cap space/collect more draft assets rather than being forced into a bulk package under pressure

2) if we were to trade for him now, we'd be giving up a lot of assets (much like we did to get Carmelo a little early)... for 1 year of bonus value and the right to leverage his bird rights (to pay him more) if he wants to stay.

Trading for him only makes sense if KD/superstars are locked and loaded and we're really ready to go for it now.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
smackeddog
5/29/2019  2:54 PM
Shams saying AD is meeting Griffin today. Hopefully griffin has done what we did with KP and has several trades lined up, and when AD tells him he doesn’t want to be there, he pulls the trigger.

I suspect he goes to the nets. Seems we’re definitely exploring moving down in the draft (looking at culver and reddish), if we get to the draft and move down I guess we’ll know for sure.

Best Chance for Knicks to Get AD

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy