[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

New member - Free Agency if KD doesn't sign
Author Thread
pearce92
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8758
United Kingdom
5/16/2019  11:11 AM
Wanted to know peoples opinion's on what the knicks should do if we don't land KD in free agency.(take Kawhi out of it)

Do we still sign Kyrie on his own?
Kemba and someone else?
or do we just add vets to help the younger players grow?

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/16/2019  12:06 PM
pearce92 wrote:Wanted to know peoples opinion's on what the knicks should do if we don't land KD in free agency.(take Kawhi out of it)

Kemba and someone else?

A definite no to kyrie on his own. I’m sceptical about Kemba on his own. Probably just sign someone like Rubio on a short deal and roll with developing the youth

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
5/16/2019  12:06 PM
If KD does not sign, the only other person who might make sense is Middleton, but MIL wants him back. I really would rather the knicks do what they did this past offseason. If they cannot get KD, then just sign 2-3 veterans to inflated one year deals and try again next summer. I fully expect that with the addition of Barret and the natural growth of Knox and Mitchell, if the right veterans are added, this team could be a middle of the pack team that almost makes the playoffs, which will then make us far more attractive next summer, when we will still have a huge amount of cap space.
Trust the Process
alexs
Member: #1262
Kenya
5/16/2019  12:09 PM
TheGame wrote:If KD does not sign, the only other person who might make sense is Middleton, but MIL wants him back. I really would rather the knicks do what they did this past offseason. If they cannot get KD, then just sign 2-3 veterans to inflated one year deals and try again next summer. I fully expect that with the addition of Barret and the natural growth of Knox and Mitchell, if the right veterans are added, this team could be a middle of the pack team that almost makes the playoffs, which will then make us far more attractive next summer, when we will still have a huge amount of cap space.

And no FA worth signing
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/16/2019  12:11 PM
I might even consider taking Conley in a griz salary dump- next years FA class is trash (only AD worth considering, so you can take on salary for 2yrs. I think we need a good PG to help develop the young guys
pearce92
United Kingdom
5/16/2019  12:28 PM
AD is pretty much the only top tier guy next year. Can see Griz trying to trade Conley now they are going to draft Ja Morant at 2. I don't think RJ at no.3 is as bad most people think. Be interesting to see which vets would sign on 1 year deals though
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
5/16/2019  12:59 PM
If we strike out on free agency (KD and Kawhi), trading for AD or even Lebron becomes more important to us.

As I noted in another thread, Mitchell Robinson is supremely valuable - hopefully they understand this. It's like we drafted a young Dwight Howard but are only on the hook for peanuts for a 3 more years, plus he'll be an RFA. Really amazing job by the management.

If he's included in a deal for Anthony Davis (esp with the Knicks WAAAY under the cap), there's no need to match salaries. Mitch + fillers for AD, close to straight up is definitely a deal I'd go with. I wouldn't think the Knicks would need to empty the tank if Mitch is included.

It's a bit of a different scenario if we get 2 max FAs - we'd have to clear out EVERYONE to get a 3rd max on the roster.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
5/16/2019  1:13 PM
I would consider signing Kemba alone because:

1. We would still have max cap space for another star in future free agency.
2. He can help accelerate the timeline of our young players.
3. He can help us win games, even if we aren't a contender.
4. He wouldn't cost us any assets.

A lineup of Walker, Dotson, Barrett, Knox, and Robinson offers the ability to be a better team next year and still grow the young guys. Ultimately, our future success rests on their development. No one in that group is ready to be a #1 option. We need someone who can carry the load for a couple of years, while the others group into their roles. People get too caught up into championship or tank and no in between. It would be fun to have an all-star guard leading a young core group of high-upside guys. That and maintaining a ton of flexibility with all the future draft picks. That's how you build sustainable success.

pearce92
United Kingdom
5/16/2019  2:09 PM
I like this idea. I think Kemba is a great player and could go well with any other top player. Also like your point on how this would help the younger players grow into their roles.
Knixkik wrote:I would consider signing Kemba alone because:

A lineup of Walker, Dotson, Barrett, Knox, and Robinson offers the ability to be a better team next year and still grow the young guys. Ultimately, our future success rests on their development. No one in that group is ready to be a #1 option. We need someone who can carry the load for a couple of years, while the others group into their roles. People get too caught up into championship or tank and no in between. It would be fun to have an all-star guard leading a young core group of high-upside guys. That and maintaining a ton of flexibility with all the future draft picks. That's how you build sustainable success.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/16/2019  2:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/16/2019  2:28 PM

We could take cap and an asset as inducement. WE absorb contracts for picks. It won't be popular with fans but building a war chest can have its rewards.

I suppose I can't just do the "open concept" thing and not give an example. Say Boston wants to move Haywood. Dr.s say he is fine and the back end of his two years he should be back to normal but he still might need time. His trade value is shyt. Boston gives us a valuable pick. They in turn can sign Kyrie and Trade For AD.
But Im talking inducement and knowing Haywood is not 100% yet. This is Durant is not coming..........
Or.....If Durant is ok with haywood and this phantom pick we have yet another trade asset to move a bit down the road. Shyt happens as does opportunities.
Haywood? A healthy haywood is not that far from Klay Thompson. Just bigger. Risk is the ankle. Again I defer to the Doctors........
We are Hording picks. is that ever a bad thing??

Nalod thinking incrementally. Not in terms of one magical starphuch summer fantasy. I can't speak for Durant's expectations year one.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/16/2019  2:21 PM
Nalod wrote:

We could take cap and an asset as inducement. WE absorb contracts for picks. It won't be popular with fans but building a war chest can have its rewards.

I'm all for this if KD doesn't sign.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
USA
5/16/2019  2:55 PM
pearce92 wrote:I like this idea. I think Kemba is a great player and could go well with any other top player. Also like your point on how this would help the younger players grow into their roles.

Kemba is a good culture guy. He's from NYC too. He can lead a team a little more in the limelight than he did in Charlotte, and get credit for giving us a boost. There will be no championship expectations. We just need to get better as a team while developing the young players at their own pace. This may not be a popular approach here overall because people like to go all in 1 direction or the other, but there is plenty of value in adding a player like Kemba even if it's not to go all-in.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
5/16/2019  3:04 PM
smackeddog wrote:
pearce92 wrote:Wanted to know peoples opinion's on what the knicks should do if we don't land KD in free agency.(take Kawhi out of it)

Kemba and someone else?

A definite no to kyrie on his own. I’m sceptical about Kemba on his own. Probably just sign someone like Rubio on a short deal and roll with developing the youth

This would be great IMO, and when you look at the lottery system there is no reason to be terrible.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
USA
5/16/2019  6:43 PM
fishmike wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Kemba and someone else?

This would be great IMO, and when you look at the lottery system there is no reason to be terrible.

It just needs to be considered that guys don't want to come on their own, so hypothetically if you did get the opportunity to get someone like Kyrie or Kemba on his own you do it, because you are more likely to get someone to join that player the following summer.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/16/2019  7:44 PM
smackeddog wrote:I might even consider taking Conley in a griz salary dump- next years FA class is trash (only AD worth considering, so you can take on salary for 2yrs. I think we need a good PG to help develop the young guys

I think this might work. Fiz loves Conley. They also could just over pay some high character vets for a season to keep the cap flexibility.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

5/16/2019  8:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/16/2019  8:53 PM

Kemba and someone else?

I've always said that if free agency doesn't start with one of KD, AD or Kawhi then we just keep building with the young guys and only sign players to one year deals.

ankurk
Member: #6075

5/17/2019  1:25 AM
Take on chandler parsons contract with a future pick
Knixkik
USA
5/17/2019  6:44 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I might even consider taking Conley in a griz salary dump- next years FA class is trash (only AD worth considering, so you can take on salary for 2yrs. I think we need a good PG to help develop the young guys

I think this might work. Fiz loves Conley. They also could just over pay some high character vets for a season to keep the cap flexibility.

I agree. Conley trade or kemba for me. We need a good vet PG to accelerate the rebuild. Dotson, Barrett, Knox, and Robinson would be the other 4 starters. I think Smith is better suited as 6th man similar to Lou Williams or Dennis Schroeder.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/17/2019  8:51 PM
Knixkik wrote:
pearce92 wrote:I like this idea. I think Kemba is a great player and could go well with any other top player. Also like your point on how this would help the younger players grow into their roles.

Kemba is a good culture guy. He's from NYC too. He can lead a team a little more in the limelight than he did in Charlotte, and get credit for giving us a boost. There will be no championship expectations. We just need to get better as a team while developing the young players at their own pace. This may not be a popular approach here overall because people like to go all in 1 direction or the other, but there is plenty of value in adding a player like Kemba even if it's not to go all-in.

I dont get the love for Kemba. I can't even remember when the last time Charlotte made the playoffs in a rather weak East Conference.

He's 29 and if he is the only guy you are signing, probably not the right long term bet.

29 and his quickness and athletic ability are his best attributes? Does he shoot the ball well? Weird that he only averages ~5.5 assists per game

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
New member - Free Agency if KD doesn't sign

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy