[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Trust The Scott Perry Process
Author Thread
misterearl
Posts: 38742
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/16/2004
Member: #799
USA
5/15/2019  11:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/15/2019  2:30 PM
This is a two year project. At least.
Do not fall for the hype that the 2019 roster must be set in stone and deliver a playoffs run.

Last season was an open audition to determine the best assets moving forward.
Robinson, Smith Jr, Hezonja, Knox, Trier and DeAndre Jordan can stay.

Next season is when the 2018 alumni must be adapted to the incoming class of as many as six new faces. Two draft picks, two free agents, two summer league surprises.

If RJ Barrett is the pick, I’m good with it.
Like Knox, his best basketball is years away. In June 2022, after his second season, he will turn the ripe old age of 21.
Twenty One years old.
Knox will be 22. Consider that.

The most vital decision is adding a veteran free agent is that he understands this is a work in progress that will not be near completion for at least another year or two.

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
Cartman718
Posts: 29017
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/12/2007
Member: #1694

5/15/2019  1:28 PM
Scott Perry traded KP for cap space and 2 first round picks one of which is protected

Um Perry might want to call and convey the same deal to Pelicans as the offer for them to not lose out on Zion just leaving after 4 years. After Zion’s mini interview, Pels would bite

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
martin
Posts: 48702
Alba Posts: 106
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #2
USA
5/15/2019  2:22 PM
misterearl wrote:This is a two year project. At least.
Do not fall for the hype that the 2019 roster must be set in stone and deliver a playoffs run.

Last season was an open audition to determine the best assets moving forward.
Robinson, Smith Jr, Hezonja, Knox, Trier and DeAndre Jordan can stay.

Next season is when the 2018 alumni must be adapted to the incoming class of as many as six new faces. Two draft picks, two free agents, two summer league surprises.

If 6’7 RJ Barrett is he is the pick, I’m good with it.
Like Knox, his best basketball is years away. By 2022 he will be the ripe old age of 22. Knox will be 22. Babies.

The most vital decision is adding a veteran free agent is that he understands this is a work in progress that will not be near completion for at least another year or two.

If Knicks draft RJ, it'll be the 3rd straight year the Knicks have drafted one of the youngest guys into the NBA

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
Posts: 38920
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 2/3/2004
Member: #582
5/15/2019  2:26 PM
Cartman718 wrote:Scott Perry traded KP for cap space and 2 first round picks one of which is protected

Um Perry might want to call and convey the same deal to Pelicans as the offer for them to not lose out on Zion just leaving after 4 years. After Zion's mini interview, Pels would bite

He was highly disappointed

ES
misterearl
Posts: 38742
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/16/2004
Member: #799
USA
5/15/2019  3:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/15/2019  3:54 PM
Adding a max free agent or two only means you still need a full season (or a few west coast road trips) to learn how to play defense as one and share the rock.
Like Red Holzman said, “on offense, you can do what you want...
... on defense you do what I want.”
once a knick always a knick
Marv
Posts: 34780
Alba Posts: 69
Joined: 9/2/2002
Member: #315
5/15/2019  3:57 PM
"red holzman is not walking through that door . . ."
“This board has become a repository for mentally unstable attention seekers. Or gimmick posters.” - sebstar
Nalod
Posts: 57878
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
5/15/2019  5:46 PM
Marv wrote:"red holzman is not walking through that door . . ."

I thought he did and we called him Jeff?

You don't show a fool a job half done!
Vmart
Posts: 31151
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 5/23/2002
Member: #247
USA
5/15/2019  6:03 PM
Nalod wrote:
Marv wrote:"red holzman is not walking through that door . . ."

I thought he did and we called him Jeff?

Imagine if Jeff could learn the MDA offense. It would a sure fire way to have the largest point differential.

KNICKSBIGCATS
Posts: 20821
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/15/2011
Member: #3745

5/15/2019  9:45 PM
I believe that a reasonable comp to RJB is Scottie Pippen
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -Michael Jordan
TripleThreat
Posts: 22331
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/24/2012
Member: #3997

5/15/2019  11:40 PM
misterearl wrote:This is a two year project. At least.
Like Knox, his best basketball is years away. In June 2022, after his second season, he will turn the ripe old age of 21.
Twenty One years old.
Knox will be 22. Consider that.


4-5 years. Maybe.

Phil Jackson really hurt this team on the way out. The Noah stretch hurts over time.

What no one wants to talk about is teams will hit on some picks and miss on some. What rarely happens when fans talk about their team is factoring in margin of error. This is a major reason why team building is so slow in the NBA. You get one or two picks maybe, then many of them don't pan out.

After 3 years in the league, you are likely to stay around what you've shown in the league at that point. Knox at 22 will be young in LIFE TERMS. In ANY OTHER CAREER. But in the NBA, 3 years in, that's a long long long long time.

NBA first round picks. Two years guaranteed. Then two team option years. There is a reason WHY ROOKIE CONTRACTS FOR FIRST ROUND PICKS OPERATE AT THIS LENGTH. Because it gives teams enough time to determine if a player is worth keeping and gives the player a chance to get to the open market at some point once he's proven himself. The four year hold on a first round rookie contract is a balance designed by the owners and the NBAPA. It's that length FOR A REASON.

Age matters. But it matters in context to league tenure, possible injury, games player and minutes accrued over time.

"Should have paid Lin and rid ourselves of Melo. Lin makes every team better." - HofstraBBall 11/12/2018
misterearl
Posts: 38742
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/16/2004
Member: #799
USA
5/16/2019  10:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/16/2019  11:22 AM
How Long did “the process” last?

A. Eight years?

4-5 years. Maybe.


Phil Jackson really hurt this team on the way out. The Noah stretch hurts over time.

What no one wants to talk about is teams will hit on some picks and miss on some. What rarely happens when fans talk about their team is factoring in margin of error. This is a major reason why team building is so slow in the NBA. You get one or two picks maybe, then many of them don't pan out.

After 3 years in the league, you are likely to stay around what you've shown in the league at that point. Knox at 22 will be young in LIFE TERMS. In ANY OTHER CAREER. But in the NBA, 3 years in, that's a long long long long time.

NBA first round picks. Two years guaranteed. Then two team option years. There is a reason WHY ROOKIE CONTRACTS FOR FIRST ROUND PICKS OPERATE AT THIS LENGTH. Because it gives teams enough time to determine if a player is worth keeping and gives the player a chance to get to the open market at some point once he's proven himself. The four year hold on a first round rookie contract is a balance designed by the owners and the NBAPA. It's that length FOR A REASON.

Age matters. But it matters in context to league tenure, possible injury, games player and minutes accrued over time.

Triple threat from deep.

The above post of the week.

If the Knicks are fortunate enough to hit on one draft pick and one free agent in 2019, it is a huge step forward.

People in Philly are still debating the value of Ben Simmons

once a knick always a knick
newyorker4ever
Posts: 26502
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/19/2014
Member: #5816

5/16/2019  11:14 AM
Cartman718 wrote:Scott Perry traded KP for cap space and 2 first round picks one of which is protected

Um Perry might want to call and convey the same deal to Pelicans as the offer for them to not lose out on Zion just leaving after 4 years. After Zion's mini interview, Pels would bite

It's only top 10 protected. So we have their 2021 unprotected and their 2023 top 10 protected.

fwk00
Posts: 21133
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 5/20/2015
Member: #6048

5/16/2019  5:47 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
misterearl wrote:This is a two year project. At least.
Like Knox, his best basketball is years away. In June 2022, after his second season, he will turn the ripe old age of 21.
Twenty One years old.
Knox will be 22. Consider that.


4-5 years. Maybe.

Phil Jackson really hurt this team on the way out. The Noah stretch hurts over time.

What no one wants to talk about is teams will hit on some picks and miss on some. What rarely happens when fans talk about their team is factoring in margin of error. This is a major reason why team building is so slow in the NBA. You get one or two picks maybe, then many of them don't pan out.

After 3 years in the league, you are likely to stay around what you've shown in the league at that point. Knox at 22 will be young in LIFE TERMS. In ANY OTHER CAREER. But in the NBA, 3 years in, that's a long long long long time.

NBA first round picks. Two years guaranteed. Then two team option years. There is a reason WHY ROOKIE CONTRACTS FOR FIRST ROUND PICKS OPERATE AT THIS LENGTH. Because it gives teams enough time to determine if a player is worth keeping and gives the player a chance to get to the open market at some point once he's proven himself. The four year hold on a first round rookie contract is a balance designed by the owners and the NBAPA. It's that length FOR A REASON.

Age matters. But it matters in context to league tenure, possible injury, games player and minutes accrued over time.

Good post except for kicking Phil. He took a risk. It didn't work out.

He left us draft picks and talented kids as well as the earthly remains of the Melo gambit.

CrushAlot
Posts: 58716
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/25/2003
Member: #452
USA
5/16/2019  6:03 PM
fwk00 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
misterearl wrote:This is a two year project. At least.
Like Knox, his best basketball is years away. In June 2022, after his second season, he will turn the ripe old age of 21.
Twenty One years old.
Knox will be 22. Consider that.


4-5 years. Maybe.

Phil Jackson really hurt this team on the way out. The Noah stretch hurts over time.

What no one wants to talk about is teams will hit on some picks and miss on some. What rarely happens when fans talk about their team is factoring in margin of error. This is a major reason why team building is so slow in the NBA. You get one or two picks maybe, then many of them don't pan out.

After 3 years in the league, you are likely to stay around what you've shown in the league at that point. Knox at 22 will be young in LIFE TERMS. In ANY OTHER CAREER. But in the NBA, 3 years in, that's a long long long long time.

NBA first round picks. Two years guaranteed. Then two team option years. There is a reason WHY ROOKIE CONTRACTS FOR FIRST ROUND PICKS OPERATE AT THIS LENGTH. Because it gives teams enough time to determine if a player is worth keeping and gives the player a chance to get to the open market at some point once he's proven himself. The four year hold on a first round rookie contract is a balance designed by the owners and the NBAPA. It's that length FOR A REASON.

Age matters. But it matters in context to league tenure, possible injury, games player and minutes accrued over time.

Good post except for kicking Phil. He took a risk. It didn't work out.

He left us draft picks and talented kids as well as the earthly remains of the Melo gambit.

Yep. Have to give Phil credit for not trading the 2018 pick. It is the cherry on his Nyk resume. Destroying any chance of KP staying doesn’t count as leaving the Knicks with young players.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nykshaknbake
Posts: 22191
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/15/2003
Member: #492
5/16/2019  6:47 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
misterearl wrote:This is a two year project. At least.
Like Knox, his best basketball is years away. In June 2022, after his second season, he will turn the ripe old age of 21.
Twenty One years old.
Knox will be 22. Consider that.


4-5 years. Maybe.

Phil Jackson really hurt this team on the way out. The Noah stretch hurts over time.

What no one wants to talk about is teams will hit on some picks and miss on some. What rarely happens when fans talk about their team is factoring in margin of error. This is a major reason why team building is so slow in the NBA. You get one or two picks maybe, then many of them don't pan out.

After 3 years in the league, you are likely to stay around what you've shown in the league at that point. Knox at 22 will be young in LIFE TERMS. In ANY OTHER CAREER. But in the NBA, 3 years in, that's a long long long long time.

NBA first round picks. Two years guaranteed. Then two team option years. There is a reason WHY ROOKIE CONTRACTS FOR FIRST ROUND PICKS OPERATE AT THIS LENGTH. Because it gives teams enough time to determine if a player is worth keeping and gives the player a chance to get to the open market at some point once he's proven himself. The four year hold on a first round rookie contract is a balance designed by the owners and the NBAPA. It's that length FOR A REASON.

Age matters. But it matters in context to league tenure, possible injury, games player and minutes accrued over time.

Good post except for kicking Phil. He took a risk. It didn't work out.

He left us draft picks and talented kids as well as the earthly remains of the Melo gambit.

Yep. Have to give Phil credit for not trading the 2018 pick. It is the cherry on his Nyk resume. Destroying any chance of KP staying doesn’t count as leaving the Knicks with young players.

Bar is real low if one of the top accomplishments was not trading the 2018 draft pick. Phil was a dud. Made a bunch of mistakes. I'm sure even now he's a great evaluator of talent and basketball mind, but he really mailed it in for us. Zero effort, just collecting a check.
Chandler
Posts: 23455
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

5/16/2019  8:55 PM
the process du jour seems to be marry 18-19 year olds with 31 year olds and nothing in between

yesterday it was draft guys who play D and pass, until they decided draft and sign guys who play ISO and don't pass and the coach admitted he can't really coach D

keeping my fingers crossed that the team drafts well and doesn't pull a Melo 2.0 or McDyess 2.0 with trades

Martin: Hezonja will be in the NBA next year. Martin was right; I was wrong. :-(
Nalod
Posts: 57878
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
5/17/2019  8:48 AM
Chandler wrote:the process du jour seems to be marry 18-19 year olds with 31 year olds and nothing in between

yesterday it was draft guys who play D and pass, until they decided draft and sign guys who play ISO and don't pass and the coach admitted he can't really coach D

keeping my fingers crossed that the team drafts well and doesn't pull a Melo 2.0 or McDyess 2.0 with trades

Good point but the draft has not happened, just the order of picking. Kyrie is somewhere still sulking and Durant is rehabbing. His team is not better with him injured but they are playing a joyful brand of ball and Durant is confirming what he knows......He did not define the run. I’m not sure they can win it all without him but they are winning enough. he returns, They win the threepeat its a good time to jump off.

You make a good point about the “gap”. The likely scenario to fill it in are smaller moves that are not starphuch worthy or obvious to us. If Durant and Kyrie are absolute I would imagine there is a grease board in MSG with the subsequent potential contingencies. It would include filing in the gap but also growing assets too. DSjr might be a great trade chip after a season of good health and playing along side two HOFers (Kyrie is on track).

I doubt we build a true contender in on summer. I would think Durant and Kyrie understand this.

You don't show a fool a job half done!
Marv
Posts: 34780
Alba Posts: 69
Joined: 9/2/2002
Member: #315
5/17/2019  9:15 AM
Chandler wrote:the process du jour seems to be marry 18-19 year olds with 31 year olds and nothing in between

yesterday it was draft guys who play D and pass, until they decided draft and sign guys who play ISO and don't pass and the coach admitted he can't really coach D

keeping my fingers crossed that the team drafts well and doesn't pull a Melo 2.0 or McDyess 2.0 with trades

the players we’re targeting for the 2nd FA slot are 26-28.

the youth core include a 21, 23 and 24 year old.

“This board has become a repository for mentally unstable attention seekers. Or gimmick posters.” - sebstar
Chandler
Posts: 23455
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

5/17/2019  10:47 AM
Marv wrote:
Chandler wrote:the process du jour seems to be marry 18-19 year olds with 31 year olds and nothing in between

yesterday it was draft guys who play D and pass, until they decided draft and sign guys who play ISO and don't pass and the coach admitted he can't really coach D

keeping my fingers crossed that the team drafts well and doesn't pull a Melo 2.0 or McDyess 2.0 with trades

the players we’re targeting for the 2nd FA slot are 26-28.

the youth core include a 21, 23 and 24 year old.

Who doesn't like the idea of improving by 20 or 30 games next season. A big part of me will enjoy those wins for a change. But being more realistic, even if we did imrpove that much, the fact of the matter is we're picking FAs as if we're contending for a championship next year or the year after (at which point KD will be 33). Sixers and Bucks and Toronto will be younger and more cohesive

I'd prefer more realistic goals of picking guys pre-prime (or at least younger) and who you think will continue to evolve so that we have some sustained trajectory and cohesiveness with hopefully solid drafting

Martin: Hezonja will be in the NBA next year. Martin was right; I was wrong. :-(
Marv
Posts: 34780
Alba Posts: 69
Joined: 9/2/2002
Member: #315
5/17/2019  12:57 PM
Chandler wrote:
Marv wrote:
Chandler wrote:the process du jour seems to be marry 18-19 year olds with 31 year olds and nothing in between

yesterday it was draft guys who play D and pass, until they decided draft and sign guys who play ISO and don't pass and the coach admitted he can't really coach D

keeping my fingers crossed that the team drafts well and doesn't pull a Melo 2.0 or McDyess 2.0 with trades

the players we’re targeting for the 2nd FA slot are 26-28.

the youth core include a 21, 23 and 24 year old.

Who doesn't like the idea of improving by 20 or 30 games next season. A big part of me will enjoy those wins for a change. But being more realistic, even if we did imrpove that much, the fact of the matter is we're picking FAs as if we're contending for a championship next year or the year after (at which point KD will be 33). Sixers and Bucks and Toronto will be younger and more cohesive

I'd prefer more realistic goals of picking guys pre-prime (or at least younger) and who you think will continue to evolve so that we have some sustained trajectory and cohesiveness with hopefully solid drafting

9 out of 10 times i would agree with you. this is the 1 out of 10 however. the reason - durant is absolutely transcendant and otherworldly. he’s super-aware on the court, plays a total team game and can and will take over the scoring when needed to win a game. dude not only scored 26 ppg on high efficiency but also dished out 6 apg from the frontcourt. he’s just a sick sick player at the top of his game who plays like the entire game is slowed down for him and is team-first. and we can get him without giving up a player or draft pick? 100% you do it.

btw i went to the gsw game this year and watched him closely. he was like mj. facilitated for 3 quarters and then heading into a tied 4th quarter just went off, burying everything he touched. effortlessly (i know, it was against the knicks . . . )

imo he will have nothing but a positive impact on this franchise. every young player on the team will improve at a faster rate playing with him. and the franchise’s arc of development will accelerate.

“This board has become a repository for mentally unstable attention seekers. Or gimmick posters.” - sebstar
Trust The Scott Perry Process

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.