[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Do you think the TANK worked?

Author Poll
Sambakick
Member: #5646

Did the Tank work or not?

We were tryin for Zion (or not tryin) and we didn't get him.

HOWEVER

If we did not finish dead last we would be picking where Cleveland and Phoenix are.

No, we didn't get the #1 pick and we were the worst squad.
Yes, the two next worst teams dropped out of the Top 3.
View Results

Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
5/15/2019  8:15 AM
Tanking sucks, doesn't it? How's that third pick project gonna taste while Zion goes bat**** crazy in NO?

How's Philly doing? One game, it's Simmons/Embid!! All Hail the Process!" then "it's break them up and start over again", and the next game it's "greatest players ever, Hinkie for Prez" then it's.... And if I'm counting Philly's seasons correctly, it's been 5 seasons of tanking so they are now nice and mediocre and have resorted to starphucquing just to get into the playoffs and lose...

AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/15/2019  8:21 AM
I think it definitely will get rid of the tanking mentality and I'm very happy about that, i had a strong feeling we weren't getting the #1 pick because that would mean the realignment of the lottery meant nothing.
ES
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

5/15/2019  8:22 AM
knicks1248 wrote:I think it definitely will get rid of the tanking mentality and I'm very happy about that, i had a strong feeling we weren't getting the #1 pick because that would mean the realignment of the lottery meant nothing.
Honestly we were never gonna be better than a bottom 5 team this year but we still ended up with a top 3 pick in a 3 player draft at least
jamp
Member: #3163

5/15/2019  8:23 AM
We didn't tank, we just sucked.
knicks1248
5/15/2019  8:27 AM
jrodmc wrote:Tanking sucks, doesn't it? How's that third pick project gonna taste while Zion goes bat**** crazy in NO?

How's Philly doing? One game, it's Simmons/Embid!! All Hail the Process!" then "it's break them up and start over again", and the next game it's "greatest players ever, Hinkie for Prez" then it's.... And if I'm counting Philly's seasons correctly, it's been 5 seasons of tanking so they are now nice and mediocre and have resorted to starphucquing just to get into the playoffs and lose...

Right because talent is only 25% of the puzzle needed to win and be a contender..

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

Philly had the most talent in the East, but the core players just got there and only played together for a couple of months, and now there pretty fcked .

ES
knicks1248
5/15/2019  8:29 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I think it definitely will get rid of the tanking mentality and I'm very happy about that, i had a strong feeling we weren't getting the #1 pick because that would mean the realignment of the lottery meant nothing.
Honestly we were never gonna be better than a bottom 5 team this year but we still ended up with a top 3 pick in a 3 player draft at least

right..and to me, you can't go wrong with either barret, zion or Ja

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/15/2019  8:39 AM

Strong feeling? With 86% odds of it not happening you boast about intuition the morning after? Ain’t you the cats meow!

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

5/15/2019  8:39 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

right..and to me, you can't go wrong with either barret, zion or Ja

agreed.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/15/2019  8:46 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Tanking sucks, doesn't it? How's that third pick project gonna taste while Zion goes bat**** crazy in NO?

Right because talent is only 25% of the puzzle needed to win and be a contender..

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

Philly had the most talent in the East, but the core players just got there and only played together for a couple of months, and now there pretty fcked .

Wouldn’t chemistry, Leadership and roles be components from Talent? Knicks talent by seasons end was younger and refined. The point I think to the season was to refine what’s good and discover what is not known. Frank perhaps had the worst season of all given his role was changed, the team composition changed and his injuries. Mudiay vastly improved statistically. Not to the degree I’m a fan. Kind of like Enes, he put up good numbers but the chemistry was not apparent.

I don’t think Fiz “system” was really installed or what the future lies. 17 wins does not really give us a glimpse into any success because we saw little of it. If broken down into small increments of player development over small samples there was very good progress. Mitch and Knox most apparent. Mario finished strong. How that matters going forward is not really in our wheelhouse as a fan. We don’t know what the coaches think or market values are.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/15/2019  8:47 AM

People remember Joel, but forget Okafor, MCW and Fultz. The reality behind the process is that you need multiple of years of high picks to have a "chance" at drafting a high performer. If the choice is a risking salary cap on the THJ's and Terry Roziers of the world or tanking, than I'd rather tank.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/15/2019  8:54 AM
After a sleep, I’m strangely delighted. Third is where we’d likely have ended up under the old lottery rules. rJ could actually be the best fit for us if we sign KD and Kyrie, as it avoids duplication. he’s not clutch but he won’t be needed to be.he might excel with two great shooters. he’s a good passer too.

If we’d won a game or two more we could have ended up at 7th.

People compare RJ to DeRozan, but he’s been shown to be effective and had success on winning teams. Plus he has a great attitude and has a strong competitive instinct.

My emotional rollercoaster is the same as this guys:

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
5/15/2019  9:19 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

Where do your numbers come from? Are you sure about the distribution?
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/15/2019  9:24 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

Yeah, I mean health, attitude, work ethic, personal and professional circumstances, being able to work under pressure, etc mean absolutely nothing to the team and individual player.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

5/15/2019  9:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/15/2019  9:57 AM

Never a fan of tanking or losing. There are way too many examples of teams that have sucked for many many years. In spite of always getting top picks. Fact is, it is very hard to put together a team that is able to get to the playoffs and be succesful. Unless you hit the lotto and draft a MJ, Kobe, Shaq or Curry. However, it is what it is. Since 2000 we have been a cluster ****. Had one good year and Phil decided to come in and break up that team. And with all cluster ****s there needs to be a bottom. Hopefully we hit bottoma and can slowly build a winner. Do think that good
FA signings or just as important if not more important than hoping we get lucky in the lotto.

However, I am really happy that we did not fall past the 3 pick. I know everyone is guaranteeing Zion and Ja as the next LBJ and Westbrook but fact is all the top 3 have the same probability of becoming franchise players. IMO
Keep saying that if you look at the caliber of teams Ja played against and that he was a sophmore, its not a given he goes at 2. Im sure NBA GM's will notice that as well. Zion still has questions with his shot, size and fit but do think his athletecism is just something that cant be ignored and passed on at 1. Either way, if we get RJ or Ja i am okay with it. As we have seen with most draft picks, it takes years before we know who was the right pick and its mostly a crap shoot.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/15/2019  9:58 AM
smackeddog wrote:After a sleep, I’m strangely delighted. Third is where we’d likely have ended up under the old lottery rules. rJ could actually be the best fit for us if we sign KD and Kyrie, as it avoids duplication. he’s not clutch but he won’t be needed to be.he might excel with two great shooters. he’s a good passer too.

People compare RJ to DeRozan, but he’s been shown to be effective and had success on winning teams. Plus he has a great attitude and has a strong competitive instinct.

Strangely delighted I wont have to hear anymore bleating about the Knicks tanking from the first fing game of the season anymore.

HofstraBBall

5/15/2019  10:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/15/2019  10:10 AM
smackeddog wrote:After a sleep, I’m strangely delighted. Third is where we’d likely have ended up under the old lottery rules. rJ could actually be the best fit for us if we sign KD and Kyrie, as it avoids duplication. he’s not clutch but he won’t be needed to be.he might excel with two great shooters. he’s a good passer too.

Areed. ONE extra point for Barrett. He will have a chip on his shoulder about losing the top spot to Zion and if he gets passed at 2, even more to prove.

Btw, this guy Ariel seems like he did not know how this years lottery worked. As you mentioned, we should be delighted that we did not go the course of Cavs and Suns.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
5/15/2019  10:09 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

he put a lot of thought into that forumula
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
5/15/2019  10:16 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Areed. ONE extra point for Barrett. He will have a chip on his shoulder about losing the top spot to Zion and if he gets passed at 2, even more to prove.

Btw, this guy Ariel seems like he did not know how this years lottery worked. As you mentioned, we should be delighted that we did not go the course of Cavs and Suns.

umm this guy sounds like he actually believes in basketball gods . . .

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
5/15/2019  10:22 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/15/2019  10:23 AM
Of course it worked but it is not what some fans think it is.
Tanking is switching the goals of the season from winning as many games as possible with current team roster to development, evaluation, and building the roster.
This goals switch will naturally produce less wins.
Knicks put the winning as the least goal of all and so they finished with less wins than any other team.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
HofstraBBall

5/15/2019  10:31 AM
fishmike wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

25% coaching
25% talent
25% chemistry
25% Leadership and roles

he put a lot of thought into that forumula

Think he left some important things out.

1% Pre game catering in the locker room.
1% Hot steam baths
1% Access to AND1 videos.
2% Comfortable bench seats.
2% Right size uniforms
3% Players getting along with all their girlfriends.
5% Good medicinal marijuana
5% Chemistry
60% Talent
20% Coaching Staff

Do you think the TANK worked?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy