[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

In praise of Clyde......
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/10/2019  11:08 AM

Was listening to a podcast by Simmons along with is Celtic Cronies are diehard fans of them. They were talking about all time great PG's and perhaps where CP3 might be. Not really sure where they landed him but his guest, a long time Celtic fan and season ticket holder said he had Clyde at the top of his list.
His reasoning was the when he needed to Clyde came up big and lead his team when it mattered.

And he did it on the biggest stage of the day.

Obvious I agree. Stats don't tell the whole story and I thought Willis leadership was always important but to some degree Clyde was tanken granted with some of the MVP's that Willis earned to some extent.
1970 Willis emotional lift was massive but Clyde orchestrated a masterpiece. This against the best guard duo in the game. The team went to game 7 in conf finals against Celtics in 1973 and without clyde there was not advance to the finals where they disposed of the Lakers. Clyde avged 22 and 6 in the 17 playoff games. Willis avged 12 and 7 rebs.
Again, not to take anything away from the Captain, but Clyde was at his best.
Willis played 17 games the next season and then retired. A true warrior over his 12 year career!

Why is Clyde not a coach or given more opportunity to influence? My opinion is you can't teach Cool or clutch. The knicks teams in that era wanted Clyde to have the ball and he wanted it. The prerequisite work was done over a few seasons and trust had to be earned. some players need to be emotional, preen, talk junk, Argue with Refs, or Sulk. Not all of that of course. But Clyde would save his energy when it mattered. He worked the refs to some extent because that what leadership does.

AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/10/2019  11:22 AM
I can only imagine that Clyde was the man then. Watching that team every day had to have been awesome. I hope to
Have that sometime soon.

Clyde has said a number of times that he is not interested in coaching.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/10/2019  11:33 AM
37 pts, 19 assists. He got reed going early.

In praise of Clyde......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy