[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kyrie Vs Kemba
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
5/23/2019  3:58 PM

Yikes, that’s a lot of coin- not sure if MJ stumps up for the super max (don’t think it would be the wise)- they have some ridiculous salaries on that team, Batum’s contract is horrific (2 more years with the second paying $27mil!).

I really think the nba needs to rethink the supermax, they don’t do the small market teams any favors- I think they should change it so the extra salary of the supermax vs the normal max doesn’t count towards the cap.

AUTOADVERT
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
5/24/2019  9:53 AM
smackeddog wrote:<snip>
I really think the nba needs to rethink the supermax, they don’t do the small market teams any favors- I think they should change it so the extra salary of the supermax vs the normal max doesn’t count towards the cap.

Another alternative would be if the supermax premium over regular max wouldn't count against the luxury tax. I think there's pure benefit for the player to stick around with the incumbent team. It's going to cost their team their salary + the "extra year" + likely lux tax implications. The benefit for the team is that they get to keep the player. I guess the question is whether that last point is enough of a win.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/24/2019  10:01 AM
technomaster wrote:
smackeddog wrote:<snip>

Another alternative would be if the supermax premium over regular max wouldn't count against the luxury tax. I think there's pure benefit for the player to stick around with the incumbent team. It's going to cost their team their salary + the "extra year" + likely lux tax implications. The benefit for the team is that they get to keep the player. I guess the question is whether that last point is enough of a win.

there is nothing worse that spending $200 on a official jersey for the player to then banana boat it somewhere else, other than explaining to a kid why the thing they loved to wear is now trash

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
5/24/2019  10:08 AM
I doubt MJ gives Kemba the supermax. MJ is cheap and that team did not even make the playoffs. He will probably offer him the max though, and if I am Kemba, I take that CHA money. Kyrie probably is willing to come to Knicks, but I don't really like him. He is so aloof and is hurt alot. Not sure I would want to give max money to a guy like that. I would only sign Kyrie if Durant came with him, but I would not try to build a team around Kyrie alone.
Trust the Process
smackeddog
5/29/2019  2:44 PM

Seems to have been a definite cooling down of kyrie to ny talk- now Lakers and nets are considered to have the best chance to sign him. The nets rumor claimed they’d be fine pairing him with d’angelo but that’s clearly BS (it would be like the Marburg/Francis pairing). Still think they’re a big threat to land kyrie and AD

SupremeCommander

5/29/2019  2:52 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Seems to have been a definite cooling down of kyrie to ny talk- now Lakers and nets are considered to have the best chance to sign him. The nets rumor claimed they’d be fine pairing him with d’angelo but that’s clearly BS (it would be like the Marburg/Francis pairing). Still think they’re a big threat to land kyrie and AD

if KD prefers Kemba well GREAT because Kemba and MSG were made for each other. Kyrie is still better but Kemba ain't too far behind

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/29/2019  4:17 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

if KD prefers Kemba well GREAT because Kemba and MSG were made for each other. Kyrie is still better but Kemba ain't too far behind

He’s very far behind. He’s not nearly as efficient and he doesn’t have the playoff experience.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
USA
5/29/2019  4:19 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

He’s very far behind. He’s not nearly as efficient and he doesn’t have the playoff experience.

For the record, I WOULD love to have Kemba and KD if other options aren’t there. Kemba is not as good as Kyrie though.... and I’m not really a Kyrie fan.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
USA
5/29/2019  4:23 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

For the record, I WOULD love to have Kemba and KD if other options aren’t there. Kemba is not as good as Kyrie though.... and I’m not really a Kyrie fan.

I will say though... I love Kembas durability.

Kemet
Member: #6148

5/29/2019  5:54 PM
Kyrie? or Kemba? No thank u !!!
Their Flaws are bigger than their performance .. Lebron needed JR.Smith & Shumpert strong defensive presence to make up for all Kyrie's many defense weakness. Kemba's lack of leadership are the reason no team wanted to trade for him the past 2 seasons.
Plus, I see better potential in Knicks young-core guards Kadeem, Trier, DSJr, Frank, and RJ Barrett.

The Knicks do need a veteran starter PG .. Hopefully a 2-Way performer like FA Klay? Or FA Beverley? Or trade for Conley $$$ contract?

Avengers
Member: #3899

5/29/2019  6:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/29/2019  6:30 PM
I like Kyrie but his stinky attitude is so off putting. I don’t know how long the honeymoon period would last between him and Durant.

Kyrie May be the worst locker room “leader” out there.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/30/2019  12:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/30/2019  12:15 AM
Surprised its been so quiet on the Kyrie/KD front. As in package deal to NY. Just stories about KD or Kyrie headed to different destinations. Relieved if it means KD isnt locked into bringing one specific player to NY. Is more flexible, letting mgmt keep their options open. If KD to NY really is a done deal.

Looking forward to finding out soon. Guessing is fun but Id like to see where the team is really headed.

smackeddog
5/30/2019  3:13 AM
Kemet wrote:Kyrie? or Kemba? No thank u !!!
Their Flaws are bigger than their performance .. Lebron needed JR.Smith & Shumpert strong defensive presence to make up for all Kyrie's many defense weakness. Kemba's lack of leadership are the reason no team wanted to trade for him the past 2 seasons.
Plus, I see better potential in Knicks young-core guards Kadeem, Trier, DSJr, Frank, and RJ Barrett.

The Knicks do need a veteran starter PG .. Hopefully a 2-Way performer like FA Klay? Or FA Beverley? Or trade for Conley $$$ contract?

This isn't true- lots of teams wanted to trade for kemba as he was on a ridiculously cheap contract- he didn't get traded because the hornets decided against it.

smackeddog
5/30/2019  3:15 AM
Avengers wrote:I like Kyrie but his stinky attitude is so off putting. I don’t know how long the honeymoon period would last between him and Durant.

Kyrie May be the worst locker room “leader” out there.

injuries and character are my two main worries about Kyrie. Kemba seems more durable and a comes across asa really nice guy, but is a worse shooter and is older. Ultimately KD saves us from this dilemma as we basically sign whichever one he wants (if either/both want to come here).

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/30/2019  9:06 AM
I like Kemba. I like kyrie. Note how fresh and wonderful Curry has been the last two rounds. Why? Because this wonderful ball they play with the splash brothers is not sustainable for a full season. Was proved in their lost to Cavs in the finals. They wore out. The guy that stepped up was Kyrie in that series. Thats what Lebron did for him. He was fresh.
This is what Durant can do for a team. He can do it for Kemba who has had to tow the line in Charlotte. I want neither unless we get Durant. If no Durant, I’ll visit the AD trade. Give me Durant and an elite guard I’ll pass on AD. Give me just Durant, I’ll trade Eitehr frank or DSjr with a pick for the last two years of Conleys big contract. IF Memphis has a desire for Barrett and wants to flip with us for Morant I work incentive there too. Nothing crazy. Morant becomes understudy to Conley and its his job to win it. Conley also needs minutes managed.
I’m just throwing shyt and seeing what sticks.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

5/30/2019  9:57 AM
smackeddog wrote:

Yikes, that’s a lot of coin- not sure if MJ stumps up for the super max (don’t think it would be the wise)- they have some ridiculous salaries on that team, Batum’s contract is horrific (2 more years with the second paying $27mil!).

The SuperMax, in theory, actually is a fail safe option for small market franchises. From a marketing/sales perspective.

You need an "anchor" for your marketing. Essentially think of Mark McGwire on some pretty bad A's teams. One player you can use as a selling point to fans and drive some nationally broadcast games/local sponsors and keep jerseys selling and whatnot.

The problem is two fold

1) There is a very narrow talent pool in the NBA. This has all kinds of fallout but it means there are too few marketable players to help drive and sustain a franchise ( this doesn't even begin to address the issue of winning)

2) Brands, esp the shoe companies, are really the employers of many of the elite players. The SuperMax won't compete with Nike giving some players some massive endorsement contract ( or silent under the table money or other incentives) to go one place over another.

Creating tax exemptions or salary loopholes benefits CASH RICH TEAMS. Remember when the Yankees and Red Sox would go to war over a Dice K or a Contreras or even a Fat Toad Irabu? And no other team even bothered trying because no one could outspend those two teams? While that was nice for us Yankees fans to have those choices, it was bad for the entire sport. The Big Three in Miami, the Heatles, was great for South Beach, but it gutted two other franchises to do it. That's not good for the sport as a whole.

The league needs a hard cap and widespread use of non guaranteed contracts, with locked in money coming in from signing bonuses that impact the cap against the length of the contract ( the NFL system essentially)

Signing John Wall is one issue. Being forced to keep him is another massive issue. But they are separate resource management issues.

Folks here have to step outside their shoes as Knicks diehards and put themselves into the shoes of an Atlanta Hawks fan. From that perspective, what makes the league function for every team is a much different story.

SupremeCommander

5/30/2019  11:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/30/2019  4:59 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I think this is off. Kyrie is All NBA second team material. Kemba is All NBA third team material and I have no doubts that he'll be happy with what he gets and won't get mopey. Kyrie got mopey in Cleveland. He got mopey in Boston ffs. I'm willing to deal with him moping around here but apparently not all his teammates feel the same way. Pros and cons to both. Advanced stats for their careers:

Rk Player From To G MP PER TS% 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% OWS DWS WS WS/48 OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
1 Kyrie Irving 2012 2019 508 17169 22.1 .571 .306 .248 2.5 9.6 6.0 30.7 2.0 0.8 12.0 29.2 43.7 14.7 58.4 .163 4.9 -1.2 3.7 24.9
2 Kemba Walker 2012 2019 605 20607 19.3 .535 .360 .288 1.8 10.8 6.2 28.7 2.0 0.9 10.5 27.3 31.2 17.3 48.5 .113 3.6 -1.1 2.5 23.2

Again, Kyrie is still better but to me that's not worlds apart, especially when you realize Kemba did that on one of the worst franchise in the NBA.

And to add one more point, Kyrie has played almost 100 more games during this time frame. Kyrie's injury history goes back to his "playing" days at Duke. So we might not care now but it might become an issue in four years. not saying it will but it deserves consideration (see Dyess and Amar'e for reference)

Nalod
USA
5/30/2019  12:04 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

The SuperMax, in theory, actually is a fail safe option for small market franchises. From a marketing/sales perspective.

You need an "anchor" for your marketing. Essentially think of Mark McGwire on some pretty bad A's teams. One player you can use as a selling point to fans and drive some nationally broadcast games/local sponsors and keep jerseys selling and whatnot.

The problem is two fold

1) There is a very narrow talent pool in the NBA. This has all kinds of fallout but it means there are too few marketable players to help drive and sustain a franchise ( this doesn't even begin to address the issue of winning)

2) Brands, esp the shoe companies, are really the employers of many of the elite players. The SuperMax won't compete with Nike giving some players some massive endorsement contract ( or silent under the table money or other incentives) to go one place over another.

Creating tax exemptions or salary loopholes benefits CASH RICH TEAMS. Remember when the Yankees and Red Sox would go to war over a Dice K or a Contreras or even a Fat Toad Irabu? And no other team even bothered trying because no one could outspend those two teams? While that was nice for us Yankees fans to have those choices, it was bad for the entire sport. The Big Three in Miami, the Heatles, was great for South Beach, but it gutted two other franchises to do it. That's not good for the sport as a whole.

The league needs a hard cap and widespread use of non guaranteed contracts, with locked in money coming in from signing bonuses that impact the cap against the length of the contract ( the NFL system essentially)

Signing John Wall is one issue. Being forced to keep him is another massive issue. But they are separate resource management issues.

Folks here have to step outside their shoes as Knicks diehards and put themselves into the shoes of an Atlanta Hawks fan. From that perspective, what makes the league function for every team is a much different story.

Good ideas. The secret society of brands paying conspiracy is logical, but these guys have contracts. Why not just provide an opt out and players can renegotiate based on play and team? AD more valuable in NY than Nola? Yes. does Nike give under the table money as incentive to make up for not resigning with Nola?
His leverage now is to say where he'll resign and where he won't. I get it. The No trade clause if he got one would not start until his new deal?

I think small market teams would benefit from a cap on big contracts. Say player makes 54mill, it only counts as 30 via cap. They still paying the salary but it helps keep a good team together and the tax. Should be for players of certain age and tenure? GSW can keep a core together and still compete.

smackeddog
6/3/2019  3:50 PM
If MJ does decide to give Kemba the supermax and we luck out on big name FA, hornets should be an excellent trade partner for us as they’ll be looking to dump some bad contracts. They have Biyombo at 1 yr $17mil, Marvin Williams at 1yr $15mil, MKG at 1yr and $13mil. We could pick up 1st rounders, Monk, Kaminsky, whatever.
Nalod
USA
6/3/2019  4:09 PM
smackeddog wrote:If MJ does decide to give Kemba the supermax and we luck out on big name FA, hornets should be an excellent trade partner for us as they’ll be looking to dump some bad contracts. They have Biyombo at 1 yr $17mil, Marvin Williams at 1yr $15mil, MKG at 1yr and $13mil. We could pick up 1st rounders, Monk, Kaminsky, whatever.

Don't forget Nick Batum!!!
Not enough time in the the day to figure out what in gods name Hornets are doing. Kupchek im my opinion would be best served letting these contracts dry up and go away. really he can't move them and dump assets as he'll be left with just cap space.
He should have traded Kemba. Kupchek has just finished his first year in charlotte and I can't blame him for the years of over spending and drafting poorly.
My take is Jordan has a tough time delegating previously.
Kemba is not worth the super max and they will get screwed if they resign him to it down the road. He is simply not worth it.
what one has to project is how he will play on a more talented roster. Never went deep enough to a rebuild which is problematic demonstrated by the current roster.

Kyrie Vs Kemba

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy