[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Montrezl Harrell
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/25/2019  10:16 AM
Been impressed with his performance in the playoffs. Montrezl will be an FA this summer, I believe. Not sure what he will ask for though.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/25/2019  10:55 AM
FA next summer
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler

4/25/2019  12:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2019  12:38 PM
Welcome to the Montrezl Harrell trade thread!

If we land some big time FAs this summer, giving up one of those extra first rounders (to add depth to the bench) might not be a bad idea. If not Harrell, then somebody else.

JesseDark
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #467
4/25/2019  1:45 PM
He was balling out... kept reminding me of Ben Wallace with more skill. Don’t think I would pursue him as a free agent, I want to see how we can develop Robinson.
Bring back dee-fense
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/25/2019  3:35 PM
JesseDark wrote:He was balling out... kept reminding me of Ben Wallace with more skill. Don’t think I would pursue him as a free agent, I want to see how we can develop Robinson.

Yep. Those two don't really fit together. Plus I'm wary of signing guys off of one good playoff stretch. It's the reason I wasnt feeling signing Scary Terry long-term after his hot stretch. That said, I like Harrell a heckuva lot more than Rozier.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler

4/25/2019  5:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2019  5:06 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
JesseDark wrote:He was balling out... kept reminding me of Ben Wallace with more skill. Don’t think I would pursue him as a free agent, I want to see how we can develop Robinson.

Yep. Those two don't really fit together. Plus I'm wary of signing guys off of one good playoff stretch. It's the reason I wasnt feeling signing Scary Terry long-term after his hot stretch. That said, I like Harrell a heckuva lot more than Rozier.

Both have a strong motor. Could see them getting most of the hustle points. The idea would be to bring Harrell off the bench if we land two big time FAs. We will still need a deep bench. If not Harrell, dont mind giving up one of the first rounders we acquired to get someone close to a new deal. Some teams know they cant afford to re-up some players who are showing something.

We get KD/Kyrie, we are going to need more than some retreads willing to take less. GS is hurting without Cousins. Even with all the star power they have. I would treat the first couple of seasons with a couple of big FA stars like it was the only good ones we'll get. Dont rely on one or both staying healthy for long. If it takes a few first rounders to buy a better bench for a couple of seasons, dont mind.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/26/2019  1:49 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Both have a strong motor. Could see them getting most of the hustle points. The idea would be to bring Harrell off the bench if we land two big time FAs. We will still need a deep bench. If not Harrell, dont mind giving up one of the first rounders we acquired to get someone close to a new deal. Some teams know they cant afford to re-up some players who are showing something.

We get KD/Kyrie, we are going to need more than some retreads willing to take less. GS is hurting without Cousins. Even with all the star power they have. I would treat the first couple of seasons with a couple of big FA stars like it was the only good ones we'll get. Dont rely on one or both staying healthy for long. If it takes a few first rounders to buy a better bench for a couple of seasons, dont mind.

Will be tricky. I think Harrell could get a full mid-level, or close. We'll have to be creative with our exceptions the next few years and Harrell, right now, is probably too expensive. It would be cheaper just to roll with Vonleh.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
4/26/2019  6:09 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Been impressed with his performance in the playoffs. Montrezl will be an FA this summer, I believe. Not sure what he will ask for though.

Honestly i don't really see him as a fit. He's similar to M Robinson in a lot of ways, and hopefully Robinson becomes the type of impact player Montrezl has become.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

4/27/2019  11:48 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

If Irving and Durant sign with the Knicks, and they want to contend, they will have to both leave massive money on the table.

Both will sign, in theory, WITHOUT their Bird Rights. Huge issue.

Priority will be to spend whatever is left on wing help. Irving is an attack guard, not a true wing. The reality is if the Knicks want to really contend, they will need either Leonard or Klay Thompson plus Durant at massive discounts. Then spend the rest on more wing help.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/28/2019  9:13 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

If Irving and Durant sign with the Knicks, and they want to contend, they will have to both leave massive money on the table.

Priority will be to spend whatever is left on wing help. Irving is an attack guard, not a true wing. The reality is if the Knicks want to really contend, they will need either Leonard or Klay Thompson plus Durant at massive discounts. Then spend the rest on more wing help.

and the odds of that happening are . . . zero?

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/30/2019  12:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/30/2019  12:34 PM
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

You think their main incentive to come to NY is a NBA paycheck, If that was the case they would re-up for max $$ on their respective teams...

This is more about their legacy,and the status they would have if they can turn NYK into a contender, plus all of the off court money making potential..

These guys play for rings not $$$

ES
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/30/2019  12:45 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

You think their main incentive to come to NY is a NBA paycheck, If that was the case they would re-up for max $$ on their respective teams...

This is more about their legacy,and the status they would have if they can turn NYK into a contender, plus all of the off court money making potential..

yeah i don't think so. these guys are at the top of the nba talent pool and pecking order and they want to be recognized as such and strike whlile the financial iron is hot. after this next contract expires they might consider playing their final couple of years at a discount to play for a loaded team, but not now.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

5/1/2019  3:35 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Durant and Thompson OR Leonard as massive discounts is needed because

A) The Knicks need defense and wing help, not an attack guard like Irving

B) This is ultimately a resource management problem. You have a cap, you have the tax zone and you have to find a way to make the money work. You really need Bird Rights to make it work on your elite players.

No player is really leaving money on the table. They get crypto on the back end silently for cap relief upfront. That's it. No one really believes Dirk left a historic amount of money on the table in Dallas.

Off the court money making potential is limited because

A) Both Irving and Durant are Nike Signature Athletes. They get big Nike deals but they are functionally disbarred from other companies ( even non shoes) that are not aligned with the Big Swoosh.

B) There are DIMINISHING RETURNS for your marketability and Q Rating once you get past your first ring. ( The difference between Tiki Barber and Mike Strahan is a good example) Zero to one is a huge leap. One to whatever else is not so much. Since Durant and Irving ( and Leonard and Thompson too) all have rings, it's functionally moot

C) A players marketability declines in his normal decline phase. Once he stops playing, it generally tanks. "Fatigue" of a particular brand is common over time.

A max deal is a form of status in the NBA. Even if you are already a market max type player.

Montrezl Harrell

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy