[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Next Decade of the NYKnicks is on the Clock - Is Durant an Answer?
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
4/25/2019  9:42 AM
One Max Player
Kawhi Leonard is three years younger, versatile and fluid as a ball handler.
Start with him.

Let’s not get greedy.
How many players on the Utah Jazz or LA Clippers are household names?
When considering available free agents, what is the criteria?
Think about players who are 26 years old or younger, and on the rise.
Think about players who dive on the floor for a loose ball.

There is no quick fix for the long distance from 17 wins to the playoffs.
This could STILL be a three year process of trial and error, because like no other sport, the components of a basketball team must fit.

The point being, thinking about recognizable names without context is a huge mistake.
Scott Perry MUST know that temperament, willingness to adapt, loyalty to a cause, patience and humility are as important as three point range. Hit the open man.

I miss Danilo Gallinari.

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/25/2019  10:28 AM
very interesting post.

at the beginning of the season i would have totally agreed with you. now i'm not so sure. why - the porzingis turn of events.

we were looking at going into next year with a 24 year-old homegrown 2-way all-star. quite possibly a dirk with better D for the next 10 years. no matter how i look at it that's a huge loss. PLUS - ntilikina showed no signs this year of being ready to be a starring 2-way player yet. dennis smith is very undetermined as to his ultimate level of play. so is knox. and we are looking at very long odds at landing zion.

so - my conclusion is i would take durant in any second that he's willing to come here. and i would love a marquee partner like kyrie. we're sitting on an amazing pot of gold in 2 max slots. we've got mitch, trier, our #1 and hopefully the development of knox, frank and smith to fit in. let's roll!!

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/25/2019  11:26 AM
misterearl wrote:One Max Player
Start with him.

Let’s not get greedy.

This could STILL be a three year process of trial and error, because like no other sport, the components of a basketball team must fit.

The point being, thinking about recognizable names without context is a huge mistake.
Scott Perry MUST know that temperament, willingness to adapt, loyalty to a cause, patience and humility are as important as three point range. Hit the open man.

I miss Danilo Gallinari.

Im 110% sure that if Fiz was the coach for the jazz or clippers this season, they would be in the lottery..

I'm not hating on fiz either because i like him as a person, but he is a really clueless head coach.

ES
MS
Member: #724
4/25/2019  12:02 PM
The draft is the number one salvation for this team.

#1 Pick - Franchise altering. Bring in Zion to pair in the front court with Mitch would be devastating defensively. It would also allow the team to hang on to all their young talent and allow Smith and Trier to learn fro Irving and Knox to learn from Durant. It really would be tough for those guys to pass up especially with Horford getting older and Hayward being a question mark. Obviously a lot depends on how the playoffs end, but the Clippers are making the case that they are the right option for KD. So that's a big concern, better coach, gm, owner and team, the Knicks don't offer any of those things, but the western conference certainly is a concern going forward.

#3 Pick - Let's face it, AD will be traded for a package featuring, Smith, Knox or Mitch (hopefully not), DSJR, our lottery pick and likely three future first two of which we just got from Dallas. But, keeping Mitch, Dotson Trier give us a decent amount of depth, with Allen as the backup pg, kornet and potentially Voleah staying. Kyrie and Durant both join, the Knicks go to the NBA finals.

#5 Pick - no difference making talent, KD chooses the Clippers with Leonard, Kyrie stays with the Celtics, KP returns healthy and is a superstar leading the Mavs to the playoffs and the Knicks are holding the bag and while Butler signs with the Nets and we talking about 2020.

misterearl
USA
4/25/2019  12:12 PM
Kawhi goes home to the Lakers
Durant stays in San Francisco
Kyrie Irving is crazy.

Dave DeBusshere was NOT marquee talent but he changed the franchise with his leadership and toughness.

Mike Singletary: “I want winners.”

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/25/2019  1:23 PM
misterearl wrote:
Dave DeBusshere was NOT marquee talent but he changed the franchise with his leadership and toughness.

well he was an all-star 3 years running when the knicks picked him up at age 28. i think in today's league he would have qualified as a max marquee player.

misterearl
USA
4/25/2019  2:32 PM
Marv wrote:
misterearl wrote:

well he was an all-star 3 years running when the knicks picked him up at age 28. i think in today's league he would have qualified as a max marquee player.

Top five talent in his era?
Nah.

And I LOVED DeBusschere.

The max Free agents of that era would be among Oscar, Havlicek, Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Elvin Hayes and Wilt Chamberlain.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/25/2019  3:03 PM
Dude was also pitched over two seasons for the Chicago White Sox 36 games with an ERA under three. His second season he was 3-4.
In 1962, DeBusschere was signed by the Chicago White Sox as an amateur free agent. He was a pitcher for the White Sox from 1962 to 1963. He pitched a shutout on August 13, 1963, against the Cleveland Indians, giving up six hits, one walk and striking out three. In 22 career at bats, he had only one hit, a single off Bennie Daniels on July 17, 1963. He pitched in the White Sox's minor league system for two more seasons before giving up pitching to focus on both playing and coaching basketball.[4]

He is one of only 13 athletes to have played in both the National Basketball Association and Major League Baseball

DeBusschere not only a three time all star he was the head coach of the pistons too!
DeBusschere was selected by the Detroit Pistons in 1962 NBA draft as a territorial draft selection. During his rookie season, he averaged 12.7 points and 8.7 rebounds per game, and was later named to the NBA All-Rookie Team. However, DeBusschere was injured during his second season and only played in 15 games, resulting in the Pistons finishing with a disappointing record of 23-59.

In the 1964–1965 season, at the age of 24, he was given the position of player-coach for the Pistons, and thus became the youngest-ever coach in league history. However, this stint as coach was not successful and he became a full-time player. During the 1968–1969 season, DeBusschere was traded to the New York Knicks for Walt Bellamy and Howard Komives.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/25/2019  3:42 PM
misterearl wrote:The point being, thinking about recognizable names without context is a huge mistake.
how is that a point?

KD is the best player in the league or top. Kyrie is a top 10 talent and one of the most clutch on top of it. Signing those two ensure your next decade likely starts with deep playoff runs. It also starts with a roster that is very young and loaded with upside, and will have 6 first rounders in the next 4 years to supplement that talent or make trades without depleting the pipeline.

KD isnt even here and people are wondering if he's the right guy? Its play offs and we are KNick fans... I get it

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
y2zipper
Member: #3287

4/25/2019  3:58 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Start with him.

Let’s not get greedy.

I miss Danilo Gallinari.

Im 110% sure that if Fiz was the coach for the jazz or clippers this season, they would be in the lottery..

I'm not hating on fiz either because i like him as a person, but he is a really clueless head coach.

I don't know what Fitz is as a coach, but the Knicks don't have anywhere near the talent the Jazz or the Clippers have, the Jazz especially.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
4/25/2019  4:50 PM
y2zipper wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Start with him.

Let’s not get greedy.

I miss Danilo Gallinari.

I don't know what Fitz is as a coach, but the Knicks don't have anywhere near the talent the Jazz or the Clippers have, the Jazz especially.

which of those teams has a top 5 pick and $70mm in cap space? Talk to me in 70 days. You might be right, or things could change wildly.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/26/2019  6:13 PM
My hope is we finally get our 2 max free agents (KD and either Kyrie or Kemba) and can compete while developing a young core of Robinson, Knox, and our 2019 top pick. That would be our core 5 players, and building around them as best as possible. It can lead to sustainable success as we will have youth growing into increased roles as the 2 stars age. We also have a surplus of draft capital for the first time ever. The only question is can it lead to a championship. It really takes a lot of development, but also a lot of luck. We will see what happens.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/29/2019  8:22 AM
if we were playing a video game, yea, you could pick different players - but if KD is open to signing here, there is no reason to not do it.

He seems to have a physique and style of athleticism that will age very well.

Hopefully, if he signs, he stays healthy.

If I am going to quibble about signing him, it's to try to carve out extra dollars to keep some of the players we have that showed promise- a Vonleh, a Mudiay or Mario- that might add depth and develop into great role players for us.

knicks1248
Member: #582
4/29/2019  10:28 AM
Knixkik wrote:My hope is we finally get our 2 max free agents (KD and either Kyrie or Kemba) and can compete while developing a young core of Robinson, Knox, and our 2019 top pick. That would be our core 5 players, and building around them as best as possible. It can lead to sustainable success as we will have youth growing into increased roles as the 2 stars age. We also have a surplus of draft capital for the first time ever. The only question is can it lead to a championship. It really takes a lot of development, but also a lot of luck. We will see what happens.

The knicks haven't resigned a rookie contract since charlie ward(despite 16 first round selections), and have had just 1 player(melo) that had a tenure more than 4 yrs..this is over the course of 20+ yrs.

So to think that we will be grooming any of these young players like mitch, knox, dotson to be the face of the franchise or part of any long term core is about as far fetch as TRUMP at a Jay Z concert in webster hall.

This off season should be a 3 yr plan. I wouldn't sign any FA for more than 3 yrs this off season,definitely not in this day and age

ES
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
4/29/2019  10:36 PM
franco12 wrote:if we were playing a video game, yea, you could pick different players - but if KD is open to signing here, there is no reason to not do it.

<snip>

Yeah. Basically he can get the same money anywhere (he'll get taxed less in Texas or Florida). He'll have a whole range of endorsement opportunities and as well as job opportunities for his friends and families if he moves to NY or LA.

If he can get a championship for the Knicks, a franchise that came oh-so-close a few times (94, 99) but has been a disappointment for the large part of the last 20 years... he'd be legendary.

But yeah, it's not so simple, because it's not really the Knicks choices, it's where the FA's want to go.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/30/2019  8:28 AM
technomaster wrote:
franco12 wrote:if we were playing a video game, yea, you could pick different players - but if KD is open to signing here, there is no reason to not do it.

<snip>

Yeah. Basically he can get the same money anywhere (he'll get taxed less in Texas or Florida). He'll have a whole range of endorsement opportunities and as well as job opportunities for his friends and families if he moves to NY or LA.

If he can get a championship for the Knicks, a franchise that came oh-so-close a few times (94, 99) but has been a disappointment for the large part of the last 20 years... he'd be legendary.

But yeah, it's not so simple, because it's not really the Knicks choices, it's where the FA's want to go.

I used to think that was a reason for Lebron to come here prior to his decision to go to so beach. But, really - trying to be objective and not a fan, if I am Durant and I can bring respectability to the Knicks and lead them back to the play offs year after year - then that is huge. That is endorsements, that is visibility. That is HOF cementing. That may get you over Lebron in the greatest player conversation.

I assume these things matter to players.

I don't think those same things are quite as available to him in TX and FL. And he is in the one place that is probably more expensive than NYC - SF/Bay Area.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/30/2019  8:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/30/2019  8:48 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:My hope is we finally get our 2 max free agents (KD and either Kyrie or Kemba) and can compete while developing a young core of Robinson, Knox, and our 2019 top pick. That would be our core 5 players, and building around them as best as possible. It can lead to sustainable success as we will have youth growing into increased roles as the 2 stars age. We also have a surplus of draft capital for the first time ever. The only question is can it lead to a championship. It really takes a lot of development, but also a lot of luck. We will see what happens.

The knicks haven't resigned a rookie contract since charlie ward(despite 16 first round selections), and have had just 1 player(melo) that had a tenure more than 4 yrs..this is over the course of 20+ yrs.

So to think that we will be grooming any of these young players like mitch, knox, dotson to be the face of the franchise or part of any long term core is about as far fetch as TRUMP at a Jay Z concert in webster hall.

This off season should be a 3 yr plan. I wouldn't sign any FA for more than 3 yrs this off season,definitely not in this day and age

I agree, but guys like KD will want a 4 year deal. Obviously we won't say no. As far as the rookies, we have never really built through the draft before. No one is really suggesting Mitch and Knox are the face of the franchise, but i would say having them remain here beyond their rookie contracts is much more likely than in previous regimes.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
4/30/2019  9:50 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

3-year plans are good for mediocre team to get good.
For underwater junkies it takes longer.
I would not bet on anything less that 6 years for the Knicks to get to consistent post-season runs.
No one can plan for own draftees to became the face of franchise unless it is a generational player like Bron.
Some say Zion is one but its not a sure thing.
Bringing 2 max of course changing the story and we see this happening a couple of times.
But are we ready roster-vise and image-vise to get them on-board?
No need to guess. We will find out soon enough.
It will take a lot of luck and precision from FO to pull it out.
In the meantime FO is doing aright thing by collecting assets and talent.
Quantity sooner or later will became quality. Just stay the course.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
5/1/2019  4:09 PM
I think Durant hedge his bet and will want a 4 year deal with a player option after year 2. He's age 30 now. Figure 2 more years at peak prime. At 32, he'll still be young enough to get another max deal.

At age 34, well, that becomes a far riskier proposition for both him (to secure a deal) and any team going after him. They'll point to 34 year old Lebron. While his overall stats are pretty much as good as ever, he suffered the worst injury of his career and missed the most games. (he's generally missed games in recent seasons to rest, rather than for specific injury reasons - basically the Lakers lost 25%+ of the regular season value of having him on the team)

I don't think it's really our goal to become a perennial contender. Front office executives and coaches who've been with the same team for more than 3 years are becoming a bit of a dinosaur. Get in, win fast. Or get fired.

Contender is one thing, but winning titles is something else altogether... and a dynasty? A lot of things have to go right - as they have with the Warriors. They already had a team good enough to break the regular season win record. Then they added the 2nd best player in the league. And they extended Curry. According to 1 article, I read the team is slated to pay an absurd $90+million in luxury tax.

I was thinking back to the Portland TrailBlazers. They were regular contenders from 1983-2003. Never missed the playoffs for 2 decades. Made it to the finals twice in that span but didn't bring home a title (vs Bulls, Pistons). Toward the tail end were the years when they added Pippen in the twilight of his career. I guess the Portland fans had hope.

I'd be more than happy if the Knicks got Durant and the lights shined bright at MSG for a year or two, we got our title and some memories for a lifetime. (At least the Cleveland fans have that)

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/1/2019  5:27 PM
Cav's had a long run with Lebron so it was a build up.
Two year starphuch with a title? Worth it? Sort of. Not if we trade all the yoot.
Dynasty are not built, they happen. Not sure GSW had a master plan and but it was an evolution that grew and grew.
Same for all great teams except the Heatles.
Not sure any of us can really understand what Durant is thinking and wants.
The Next Decade of the NYKnicks is on the Clock - Is Durant an Answer?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy