crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
9/23/2004  11:44 AM
http://www.nba.com/knicks/inthepaint/isiah_040923.html

Part One of Two
Isiah Thomas Preseason Q&A

NEW YORK, NY, September 23, 2004 -- New York Knicks President, Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas sat down with NYKnicks.com this week to provide a state of the team preview as the Knicks prepare to open training camp on October 5 in Charleston, SC. This is the part one of a two-part interview:
Q: With training camp less than two weeks away, how would you describe this offseason?
A: I think we improved the team with some key acquisitions and that our returning players are coming back healthier and in great shape, mentally and physically. That is what you hope to do, so I am happy with the offseason.

Q: Did you accomplish what you set out to do at the beginning of the preseason?
A: Our goal was to improve the team while getting younger and more athletic, especially on the perimeter, and I think we did do that. Of course, if more opportunities do come up to improve our team, we will explore them. However, I think this group is a very good one.

Q: What are some of the characteristics that you think this team will display this year?
A: I think that our goal is to continue to have a team that is reflective of our city. We want a team that is younger, athletic and plays the game the way this city knows it should be played, with hustle and determination on both ends of the court. Our team will use all 94 feet of the court to achieve our goal, and there is no excuse not to put our best effort forth every day. That begins with training camp.

Q: A lot is made of the fact that this training camp will be invaluable to this team. How important will October be?
A: Training camp sets the tone for the whole season. Once the ball goes up on November 3, it is impossible to fully implement your system, so yes, this time will be critical for us as a team. I remain so impressed with the job the players and the coaches did last year, coming in so late in the season and still having success on the court. It makes me even more excited about our chances over a full season.

Q: The biggest change was the trade for Jamal Crawford and Jerome Williams. How do you see those guys fitting in?
A: One of the things you need to win in this league is depth, and the trade gives us depth at two key positions. Both guys are very pleased to be Knicks and they will be very positive additions to our team. Jamal’s best days are ahead of him as he has just started to learn the game, and Jerome is a very good defender and rebounder who our fans will love. He has had his best seasons playing under Lenny Wilkens (in Toronto), and I think that will continue. Jerome’s hustle and Jamal’s energy will be very important in lifting our team during the season’s dog days.

Q: Two other guys you added were Jamison Brewer and Bruno Sundov, two guys you had in Indiana. How do they factor in?
A: Jamison is a very steady player with great defensive skills, and gives us even more depth at point guard. Bruno has added some bulk this summer and also gives us more depth. He is a very skilled big man who I think is finally learning the game and it’s nuances and could be a factor for us.

Q: What do you think Stephon’s Olympic experience will mean to him?
A: I think it was invaluable for his development as a player and a person. Even though the team only won a bronze medal, he improved with every game and got to become one of the best stories of what many feel was a very disappointing time for USA Basketball. I think that adversity and experience will help him take the next step as a point guard, a person and as a leader.

Q: Michael Sweetney and Trevor Ariza both had solid summers. What are you expecting from them?
A: Michael really took a big step at the end of last season, and followed that up with a very solid summer. I fully expect him to be a big factor for us once we get going. People forget how young he is and that he got off to a slow start last year for a number of reasons. Trevor was also a pleasant surprise for us, but he is even younger and inexperienced. I look forward to seeing how he responds to his first training camp.

Q: Another key move this summer was the resigning of Vin Baker. What will that mean to the team?
A: Vin came to us late and banged up last season, and was still able to help us get to the playoffs. He is in better shape and seems more motivated to make a difference this season, and a healthy and happy Vin Baker could make a big difference in our success this year.

Q: How good do you think this team will be?
A: I am not in the prediction business, but I will tell you this. If we stay healthy I know we will be a fun team to watch and on the nights we lose, it will not be from lack of effort on our part. We improved in some key areas and have a full season to implement Lenny’s system. I think it will be an exciting season for our organization, our city, and for our fans.

-----------------------------------

basically a fluff piece, but hey, it's all we've got right now....
¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/23/2004  11:51 AM
he's forthright in talking about Sweetney's importance to the team.. so this is nice to hear. On top of it MS's pic on the teams homepage.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
9/23/2004  11:57 AM
If we stay healthy I know we will be a fun team to watch and on the nights we lose, it will not be from lack of effort on our part.

That was the best part of the article. You don't try your hardest, you are on the bench. That is so different than when Layden was in control. Hence, if Steph, Allan, JC and TT are slacking off, but Sweetney, JYD, Baker and Trevor are trying their arses off and doing a good job, the guys actuually trying are getting playing time. I remember, the last year Camby was here, we had nobody trying at all, and we were starting to get used to that. Now Isiah says it's unacceptable for people not to give it 100% each night. That's how our winning teams were. This all may seem like ho hum to you, but fact in the matter is, we just finished our 3rd losing season in a row, and it's finally about to change.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/23/2004  12:01 PM
here's a pic of sweetney that must've been taken recently - look at how freak'n skinnier he is:

http://www.nba.com/media/knicks/sweetney6_254x308_040810.jpg

[Edited by - djsunyc on 09/23/2004 12:02:42]
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
9/23/2004  12:06 PM
Good stuff. Training camp couldn't come any sooner.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Allanfan20
USA
9/23/2004  12:09 PM
I don't think skinny is the word I would be looking for. Perhaps DEFINED and TONED UP fits the bill better. That is one big dude, and he will probably never be skinny, but you can just see the work he has put in his body, starting with his face and neck. I don't really see anymore baby fat over there which is cool.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
fishmike
USA
9/23/2004  12:19 PM
wow... you can tell he's easily down 20-30 lbs. Man... this is giving me such the itch. Cant wait to see him go at it. I would love to see him all star weekend in the rookie vs. sophmore game. What a difference he can make for us.
fishmike
USA
9/23/2004  12:25 PM

you can tell he got a lighter and stronger
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
9/23/2004  12:30 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

here's a pic of sweetney that must've been taken recently - look at how freak'n skinnier he is:

Look ma, Sweetney has toned up! He looks chiseled up but skinny no. He should be able to make noise in training camp.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
fishmike
USA
9/23/2004  12:50 PM
I'm DYING for him to win the starting PF job.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
9/23/2004  1:03 PM
he does look stronger! he no longer has as much of that baby fat.

Sweetney is going to be a beast folks!!! The Savoir!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 09/23/2004 13:11:01]
Allanfan20
USA
9/23/2004  1:04 PM
That pic shows me 3 things.

1) Sweetney is lookin' good.
2) He looks like he can crush the life out of that pumpkin.
3) Someone can now compete with Patrick Ewing in the most sweaty players contest.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
9/23/2004  1:06 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I'm DYING for him to win the starting PF job.

Make that 2!

Wow! He looks so impresive in that picture. Looks like a man on a mission in 2004-2005.

Can't wait!
Knicks_Fan
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
9/23/2004  1:12 PM
make it 3
BrilliantTruth
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #622
9/23/2004  1:12 PM
fishmike.... I think that pic is from 7/10/2003.....
Wanted: Patience and Brilliance
fishmike
USA
9/23/2004  1:19 PM
hahaha!!! Sorry... here you are

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/23/2004  1:25 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

for the lazy

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
djsunyc
9/23/2004  1:29 PM
he IS skinnier. look at his face. you can actually see some semblence of a jaw line.

this ENTIRE season, to me, is not whether we win 47 games, is not whether we make the 2nd round, it's whether or not sweetney is our PF for the next 10 years.

things are looking good and i have NO DOUBT in my mind that if he gets 10-15 touches a night, we're looking at a 15/10 type player THIS SEASON.

it's kurt's time to move to the bench and i think he knows this (now that he's got his 30 mil)

got my letter a couple of days ago - season tickets are ready for pickup monday october 3rd. i haven't been this pumped for a season since 99.
djsunyc
9/23/2004  1:32 PM
fish, those pics were from before summer camp. look at the progress over the past 2 months even.
fishmike
USA
9/23/2004  1:42 PM
who knows what he can be... my dream is monster glass cleaner. He's got the build and the footwork and a nose for the ball and the desire to go get it. I'm talking about a premier rebounder... a 14-15 a game type of guy. He's also got penetrating guards that will make it easier for him to get position. He's a very good fit for an uptemp athletic slashing team. He's not good in the open court but he runs very well and he's a skilled passer.
Page 1 of 5  1  2  3 NextLast »
Topic LOCKED
Isiah Thomas Q & A on knicks.com

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy