Stop it Mitchell! Just stop!
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
4/17/2019  5:32 PM
The kid is already thinking of 3s!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/elitesportsny.com/2019/04/17/new-york-knicks-news-mitchell-robinson-wants-to-shoot-3s/amp/
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
Sambakick
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5646

4/17/2019  5:42 PM
I don't like it.

Get stronger. Your money will be made with the work you do in the paint.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/17/2019  5:54 PM
I'd like to see him experiment with a faceup game of the dribble. He just needs one or two dribbles and he's in the paint. He'd be killer on closeouts. Nothing wrong with him working bon different aspects of his game, tho this past season was the time to do it. Chances are we will never see him flash the 3, but can't hurt trying.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Sambakick

4/17/2019  6:03 PM
Don't want him shooting threes til he becomes a 75% FT shooter.
Sambakick

4/17/2019  6:03 PM
Just make your free throws kid ... you will be getting fouled a lot.
Allanfan20
USA
4/17/2019  6:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/17/2019  6:05 PM
He 100% should work on his free throws and I think he could certainly experiment with elbow jumpers or 10-15 foot baseline shots but 3s? Get the hell out of here! Build on your strengths young man!
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/17/2019  7:38 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:He 100% should work on his free throws and I think he could certainly experiment with elbow jumpers or 10-15 foot baseline shots but 3s? Get the hell out of here! Build on your strengths young man!

....not for nothing but the high analytic team of Houston has been preaching shots at rim and 3-pointers.... and you want more mid-ranges?

Why?

I mean, I understand the concept of building small and figuring out FT's and such, but why not 3's? Why bother with the shot that is going away? You stick Mitch in the elbow jumper area and all it does is allow his defender to park himself in the paint or be more accessible to guarding the paint and preventing guard penetration.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Sambakick

4/17/2019  9:33 PM
martin wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:He 100% should work on his free throws and I think he could certainly experiment with elbow jumpers or 10-15 foot baseline shots but 3s? Get the hell out of here! Build on your strengths young man!

....not for nothing but the high analytic team of Houston has been preaching shots at rim and 3-pointers.... and you want more mid-ranges?

Why?

I mean, I understand the concept of building small and figuring out FT's and such, but why not 3's? Why bother with the shot that is going away? You stick Mitch in the elbow jumper area and all it does is allow his defender to park himself in the paint or be more accessible to guarding the paint and preventing guard penetration.

But why extend his game at all? You want your big man to be close to the rim for many reasons. Rebounds, putbacks, lobs, 'oops. When you take him away from the rim you run the risk of a smaller guy defending him because they don't respect his range. That leaves you at a rebounding disadvantage so you better hope Kevin Knox becomes a stellar rebounder as he battles bigger men for boards.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/17/2019  10:10 PM
Sambakick wrote:
martin wrote:

Why?

But why extend his game at all? You want your big man to be close to the rim for many reasons. Rebounds, putbacks, lobs, 'oops. When you take him away from the rim you run the risk of a smaller guy defending him because they don't respect his range. That leaves you at a rebounding disadvantage so you better hope Kevin Knox becomes a stellar rebounder as he battles bigger men for boards.

... If your big man CAN shoot 3's, your team is at a big advantage. Watch the Bucks.

And if Mitch CAN shoot 3's, aint no team gonna put a smaller man on him.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Allanfan20
USA
4/17/2019  11:30 PM
martin wrote:

Why?

And what championships has Houston won since Hakeem? Actually, they haven’t even made it to the finals since Hakeem. Just because Houston loves analytics doesn’t mean it’s bullet proof. Down the road, MR can maybe work on his 3s but how can you expect him to perfect them if he hasn’t perfected his mid range shot and free throws? At least with the occasional mid range shot, his misses wont lead to as many long rebounds and therefore, a quicker fast break.

I didn’t even say he should be taking a lot of mid range shots. Just an occasional one if he’s left open. I don’t care what the numbers say. Go ahead and criticize me for saying that but if he’s not yet good at shooting anywhere then why the hell should he start working on 3s? That’s ridiculous.

Allanfan20
USA
4/17/2019  11:35 PM
martin wrote:
Sambakick wrote:
martin wrote:

Why?

... If your big man CAN shoot 3's, your team is at a big advantage. Watch the Bucks.

And if Mitch CAN shoot 3's, aint no team gonna put a smaller man on him.

That’s more what I am talking about. If he can take it, throw the occasional one up. Generally though, his work is really around the basket, cutting to the hoop. If anything, he needs to work on his post up game and passing so he can open up the 3s and yes, mid range game for his teammates.

And if he’s taking the 10 footer, at least he’s closer to the basket.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/17/2019  11:37 PM
Sambakick wrote:Don't want him shooting threes til he becomes a 75% FT shooter.
I heard a podcast with his high school coach right after the draft. I believe he talked about Mitch being a good three point shooter. He also talked about him having a very good all around game. I think the coaching staff wanted to keep things basic for him this year. Adding a three point shot can’t hurt.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/18/2019  12:40 AM
did anyone actually read the article?

From the original Post article:

“I want to shoot threes next year,’’ Robinson said to Marc Berman of the New York Post. “That’s not the No. 1 focus [but] really to get stronger, work on my post moves. And then when it gets close to summer league [in July], start bringing in that jump shot.’’

Everyone just take a giant step back, and chill. Mitchell is well grounded. He is not going to try to become something he isn't. Baby steps. He is a lot more together than I was at his age.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/18/2019  7:03 AM
I want him to be able to shoot 3s but I don't want him doing that regularly. If he is hanging at the 3 point line then he is not a threat for lobs or a threat for offensive rebounds
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/18/2019  10:00 AM
I would like to see him have the green light to shoot the corner three for sure. I don't want him running of of screens to get freed up to shoot a three. I reject the notion that his game should be limited because he is big though, that's bs
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Allanfan20
USA
4/18/2019  10:27 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:I would like to see him have the green light to shoot the corner three for sure. I don't want him running of of screens to get freed up to shoot a three. I reject the notion that his game should be limited because he is big though, that's bs

If he can shoot 3s, I agree. If he can’t shoot 3s, I reject the notion that he should take 3s just bc he’s a big that can someday shoot 3s.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/18/2019  10:39 AM
Another tool for the toolbox. Doubt any coach would leave Mitch on the perimeter for long, with his abilities in the paint.

Mitch developing a mid, and long range shot, gives his coach more options, more situational plays he can draw up, including using Robinson as a decoy.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/18/2019  10:42 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I would like to see him have the green light to shoot the corner three for sure. I don't want him running of of screens to get freed up to shoot a three. I reject the notion that his game should be limited because he is big though, that's bs

If he can shoot 3s, I agree. If he can’t shoot 3s, I reject the notion that he should take 3s just bc he’s a big that can someday shoot 3s.

I agree with that but I still reject the notion that he shouldn't try to expand his game

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/18/2019  10:48 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
martin wrote:

Why?

And what championships has Houston won since Hakeem? Actually, they haven’t even made it to the finals since Hakeem. Just because Houston loves analytics doesn’t mean it’s bullet proof. Down the road, MR can maybe work on his 3s but how can you expect him to perfect them if he hasn’t perfected his mid range shot and free throws? At least with the occasional mid range shot, his misses wont lead to as many long rebounds and therefore, a quicker fast break.

I didn’t even say he should be taking a lot of mid range shots. Just an occasional one if he’s left open. I don’t care what the numbers say. Go ahead and criticize me for saying that but if he’s not yet good at shooting anywhere then why the hell should he start working on 3s? That’s ridiculous.

Because that's the NBA Game, how many times did we see a wide open Kanter behind the arc...

If you can't shoot a open 3 in today's NBA, your a limited player.

If you have been watching any of the Utah/Houston series, you will see how Rudy Golbert is a big time liability

ES
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/18/2019  7:03 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
martin wrote:

Why?

Because that's the NBA Game, how many times did we see a wide open Kanter behind the arc...

If you can't shoot a open 3 in today's NBA, your a limited player.

If you have been watching any of the Utah/Houston series, you will see how Rudy Golbert is a big time liability

But Capella cant shoot 3s and Houston is winning and Capella isnt a liability... hmmmm....
dude you never cease to amaze me. Watch 7 seconds of that series and you see Gobert's lack of 3 point shooting?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Stop it Mitchell! Just stop!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy