so looks like Trier is not so liked around the campfire
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/15/2019  11:43 AM
I mean its the post... but
https://nypost.com/2019/04/15/durant-may-be-answer-to-knicks-veterans-allonzo-trier-disdain/

If Kevin Durant becomes a Knick, rookie guard Allonzo Trier will have at least one teammate who will like him.

Trier admitted last week he’s “absolutely’’ hoping the Knicks can land his mentor from Oklahoma City, where the Arizona product attended two years of high school.

However, according to multiple sources connected to the Knicks, Trier’s lack of popularity among his veteran teammates was something of a concern in the locker room. Maybe Durant can help him if he comes.

While Trier got along swimmingly with fellow rookies Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson, some vets felt Trier’s one-on-one style didn’t help the team’s culture during its league-worst 17-65 season.

Trier’s self-proclaimed nickname is “IsoZo” and Knicks coach David Fizdale levied praise on him as a bright spot, lauding his work ethic and overachievement as an undrafted player. Trier turned a two-way G-League contract into a spot on the 15-man roster in December.

But there were warts.

“His play on the court was cancerous,” one NBA source said. “A lot of guys didn’t like the way he didn’t play team ball. He cared about himself too much. He looked guys off who were open.’’

During a Nov. 27 game in Detroit, Trier brought the ball up the court with Trey Burke all alone ahead. Trier didn’t throw it ahead for the easy layup. Instead, Trier barreled toward the basket.

While he drew a foul, players on the bench yelled at Trier, scolded him for not feeding Burke, who held his palms up, shaking his head after the whistle.

The more publicized incident occurred Jan. 23, when Tim Hardaway Jr. chewed out Trier on the court after Trier failed to pass to him on a two-on-one fast break with Hardaway open on the left.

Another NBA source familiar with the situation said when players would choose sides for pickup games before or after practice, he often was one of the last chosen. The Knicks players wanted to play with guys who passed to the open man.

Both Hardaway and Burke were shipped to Dallas days after that on-court incident, part of the Kristaps Porzingis blockbuster. The trade opened up two max-salary slots, allowing the potential of Durant bringing along a star sidekick.

“I don’t have to watch social media,’’ Trier said last week when asked how he will follow July’s fireworks. “I’ll speak to him directly. Whatever he decides to do, it’s on him.”

The possibility is music to Trier’s ears. Durant used to attend some of his high school games in Oklahoma. While Trier chatted with two reporters recently, a Knicks public relations official warned Trier about tampering.

“I really don’t bother him [during the season],’’ Trier said. “If he wants to congratulate me on [me] playing well, [he’ll text,] ‘Keep it up.’ When we talk he says if I ever need advice, I should talk to him. He’s grown. I’m not a young man [any more,] I don’t want to be a burden. He’s a good family friend to have. He’s like a brother to me.”

Fizdale had admitted Trier’s scoring style was a dilemma. While Trier was effective, the Knicks coach’s mantra was to breed a ball-moving offense in which nobody holds the ball for more than a few seconds. Fizdale has said Trier was the lone player on the roster he gave more leeway in that department. Still, one of the NBA sources said Fizdale, in general, didn’t hold the three rookies accountable enough.

Trier finished averaging 10.9 points on 44.8 percent shooting. A series of leg injuries cost him 18 games, including the final 11 with a knee/calf strain. If the draft were redone, Trier, who failed two steroid tests at Arizona, probably would be a late first-rounder.
“I absolutely believed I continued to get better,’’ Trier said. “I was proud of the way I improved over the whole season. Really, aside from the time I had the hamstring injury, I came back and really wasn’t myself, other than that seven-game stretch, I was consistent all the way through. And I made strides in a lot of different areas. I learned a lot about myself and about this league.”

Trier has no shortage of confidence. Fizdale noted Trier, after getting snubbed in the draft, guaranteed to him he’d make the team out of training camp. Fizdale has compared Trier to Lou Williams, expected to win his third Sixth Man of the Year Award.

The 6-foot-5 guard out of Seattle admitted he still has to work on “small things’’ to take the next step, likely alluding to getting his teammates involved more.

“I have a lot of the hard stuff down, a lot of ability things a lot of people don’t have I’m blessed to have,’’ said Trier regarding his exit meeting with Fizdale. “It’s about putting together the small things to be that much better of a player. This summer with me improving and focusing on [that], it will allow me to make that jump.’’

The Knicks have a team option for $3.5 million on Trier. If they need added cap space to fit in Durant and, say, Kyrie Irving or Kemba Walker, they may be able to release Trier and re-sign him for a little less.

“We’ll see how, I guess,’’ Trier said. “Everything pointed toward me being here.”

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Member: #582
4/15/2019  12:02 PM
This was FIZ fault for allowing him the ability to be the only guy that can hold the ball as long as he likes, and pass when ever he feels.

It's the same thing he did with Knox, telling him to keep taking it to the hole and being aggressive.

Derek fishers (17 win roster) lacked talent, and the triangle killed all momentum

Fizdale had way more talent then fisher, had no triangle.

IMO..This was (hands down) by far the most selfish team in the NBA this season, and in Knicks history..Who do we blame for that?

Trier made Melo look like frank..(as far as passing)

ES
anrst
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1054
USA
4/15/2019  12:04 PM
his body language is aloof as F to his teammates
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/15/2019  12:09 PM
first things first - he CAN pass. he had 7 assists in a game, 8 in another, 5 in a couple. if the coach decides he wants him to he CAN do it.
Chandler
Member: #6197

4/15/2019  12:11 PM
UDFA comes in as a ball hog is always testy situation. Having said that seems more than fair to think he can contribute to winning given his skill set. Buy is confident, can shoot, and willing to play D

over time (no place mentioned in the Post article)he did a much better job sharing the ball. I suspect the sources were Burke and THJ and maybe Mario (tough to tell)

(5)(5)
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/15/2019  12:11 PM
My first thought was the 'vets' were Burke and Tim. Maybe Kanter. Guys that were pretty concerned with having the ball and getting their points. I do remember a game where Tim and Zo screamed at each other. I don't remember the context, I think Trier may have looked off Tim and missed a shot or turned the ball over. After the game Trier was asked about the play and what happened. His response was, two guys who care a lot about the outcome had a disagreement in the moment. I thought that was a great answer. Hopefully next year Zo's role is more defined. I liked him in the back court with Frank.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/15/2019  12:47 PM
I think Hardaway is probably the primary "vet" being referred to. Others were likely Burke, Kanter, and Mudiay. All guys who need the ball in their hands to have an impact. This team was a bunch of players with a similar skillset to Trier, not surprising. Either way they are all gone.
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

4/15/2019  1:09 PM
Can we maybe put a moratorium on the word "cancer" as it applies to a sports team lockerroom? First, it may be inappropriate. Moreover, it hardly describes a situation where one guy's style of play doesn't quite mesh with other players on the team.

I dislike the local sports media a little more every day. If anyone is going to be described as c....

Nevermind.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

4/15/2019  1:26 PM
It was by Berman, I shoulda known.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
4/15/2019  1:40 PM
knicks1248 wrote:This was FIZ fault for allowing him the ability to be the only guy that can hold the ball as long as he likes, and pass when ever he feels.

It's the same thing he did with Knox, telling him to keep taking it to the hole and being aggressive.

Derek fishers (17 win roster) lacked talent, and the triangle killed all momentum

IMO..This was (hands down) by far the most selfish team in the NBA this season, and in Knicks history..Who do we blame for that?

Fiz job was to identify who is who from this bunch of tryouts.
Looking at how definitive you are now on the topic he did a great job...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/15/2019  1:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2019  1:47 PM
knicks1248 wrote:This was FIZ fault for allowing him the ability to be the only guy that can hold the ball as long as he likes, and pass when ever he feels.

It wasn't just Trier. THJ and Knox were also guilty. I lost count of the times Dotson was open for a spot up 3, only to be brushed off by THJ. It seemed some players weren't held accountable. Also, there doesn't seem to be much of a system. We've had bad teams before, but at least you got a sense of what guys like Fisher, and Hornacek were trying to do. Even with those early Celtics and Sixers team, I got a sense of what Steven and Brown were trying instill. Maybe our talent was so bad that they couldn't show anything on the court? I'm still giving Fiz the benefit of the doubt, but I'd be lying if I said I was confident going into next season.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/15/2019  1:45 PM

Blame....... its so delicious to you.
It is well known he had more freedom to shoot. Same for Knox. If Frank wanted to, I think coach would not have an issue either.
Get the reps in, feel the game, look at tape, find whats missing, and LEARN FROM IT.
The Rainman in you says "Fire him". Not that you have any idea who to hire, except Mark Jax? Afterall, if he can win 55 with GSW, he can here?
Nalod thinks ball hogs in the locker room get called out and now Trier KNOWS it. Its bad for ball movement, bad for morale and won't equate to wins.
Good.

The Veterans had every right to call him out. Season is over. We all moving on.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/15/2019  1:47 PM
hopefully this is a maturity thing - look at D'angelo Russell
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/15/2019  1:50 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:hopefully this is a maturity thing - look at D'angelo Russell

Or look at Swaggy P I don't expect him to be like Harden as far as playmaking, but Trier is more than capable of being a drive and kick engine when (or if) we ever get a real offense in place.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/15/2019  1:53 PM
Fiz now has some yoot that have done things. The know they can shoot and play in the league. Now they have to learn to play with others in a system. Talent infusion should do wonders.
If not, then plan B.

What is plan B? I don't know.

CrushAlot
USA
4/15/2019  2:09 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:hopefully this is a maturity thing - look at D'angelo Russell

Or look at Swaggy P I don't expect him to be like Harden as far as playmaking, but Trier is more than capable of being a drive and kick engine when (or if) we ever get a real offense in place.

He reminds me of Harden a little. An upgrade in the roster should help.
CrushAlot
USA
4/15/2019  2:13 PM
knicks1248
4/15/2019  2:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2019  2:20 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

It wasn't just Trier. THJ and Knox were also guilty. I lost count of the times Dotson was open for a spot up 3, only to be brushed off by THJ. It seemed some players weren't held accountable. Also, there doesn't seem to be much of a system. We've had bad teams before, but at least you got a sense of what guys like Fisher, and Hornacek were trying to do. Even with those early Celtics and Sixers team, I got a sense of what Steven and Brown were trying instill. Maybe our talent was so bad that they couldn't show anything on the court? I'm still giving Fiz the benefit of the doubt, but I'd be lying if I said I was confident going into next season.

What i seen happen is fiz given guys free reign (his selling point to FA) and that's when sht just back fired and dudes started playing ISO, and not really caring about winning, habits they built over the course of the season.

if all you hear is "DON'T WORRY ABOUT WINNING JUST DO YOU" and get better..

I went to a AAU tournament this wknd in PA..OMG...damn near every kid in there played like trier, and MY girlfriends son played like Frank. While he kept passing the ball trying to play team ball,No one would passing him the ball despite being wide open..

It was just ugly basketball all wknd long

ES
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/15/2019  2:54 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I don't disagree with either of you...
my overall point though is there are plenty of examples (I picked DRuss because he's the most recent, major example) of a young, shoot-first player that was chased out of town a little too soon... how about Joe Johnson or Isaish Thomas... all I am saying is give IsoZo a chance!

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
knicks1248
4/15/2019  3:05 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I don't disagree with either of you...
my overall point though is there are plenty of examples (I picked DRuss because he's the most recent, major example) of a young, shoot-first player that was chased out of town a little too soon... how about Joe Johnson or Isaish Thomas... all I am saying is give IsoZo a chance!

his nick name is ISO..nuff said

ES
so looks like Trier is not so liked around the campfire

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy