OT PG Rankings
Author Thread
Mac
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #470
Japan
9/23/2004  2:39 AM
Kahn's last position:

1. Jason Kidd, New Jersey Nets: He is 31 and his knee is a problem, but he's still the best at running an offense and his teammates love him.

2. Allen Iverson, Philadelphia 76ers: This will be the most interesting season for the most exciting guard in the league to prove he can run an offense.

3. Baron Davis, New Orleans Hornets: He is so gifted, and potentially better than any of these guys, but he's just too selfish too often.

4. Chauncey Billups, Detroit Pistons: When Joe Dumars signed him as a free agent, he saw a lot of himself in Billups. This season we'll find out.

5. Sam Cassell, Minnesota Timberwolves: Last season will be a tough act for him to follow, but if he does, the Timberwolves have a great shot to win the West.

6. Stephon Marbury, New York Knicks: Isiah Thomas invested the future of the Knicks and his own credibility in Marbury. Will he step up this year?

7. Steve Francis, Orlando Magic: It's impossible to know how getting traded will affect Francis, but he certainly has a lot to learn about running a team.

8. Mike Bibby, Sacramento Kings: Some might believe he should be higher in this ranking, but defensive shortcomings and unpredictability in big games linger.

9. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs: He could end up being the best of this group with his quickness and all-around ability, but only if he improves.

10. Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns: It appears age is catching up to him considering how he has tired the past couple of seasons. We'll see what he has left.

Also receiving consideration: Gary Payton, Boston Celtics; Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat; Gilbert Arenas, Washington Wizards; Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets; Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks; Jason Williams, Memphis Grizzlies; Carlos Arroyo, Utah Jazz; Eric Snow, Cleveland Cavaliers; Damon Stoudamire, Portland Trail Blazers.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7708485

IMO Sam Cassel isn't better than Steve Nash...
AUTOADVERT
SKY
Member: #687
USA
9/23/2004  4:32 AM
My PG ranking :

1. Stephon Marbury - With Kidd out, he's going to be the man! Needs to show that he can be a leader and make others around him better.
2. Tony Parker - He's a great PG, and he's improved dramatically in the past 2 seasons. But he's got Duncan and Manu. Lucky guy.
3. Baron Davis - Too selfish, but he's a dominant player. Needs to stay healthy
4. Dwayne Wade - Superstar of the future, but needs to be more consistent with his shots. Tandem with Shaq is going to be fun to watch (when they're not playing the Knicks)
5. Sam Cassell - He had one of the highest FG% and 3P% of all PGs last yr. Age doesn't seem to slow this guy. Again, he's got Garnett & Spree. That'll make your #s look good...
6. Steve Nash - Great PG, fun to watch. but not sure if he can stay healthy. Not good defensively. Can he gel with Amare & Matrix?
7. Mike Bibby - Another great PG. Consistent with high shooting %. Not a good defender.
8. Chauncey Billups - Good player, but not a fan of his game. If he goes down, will Detroit play Prince as Point Forward?
9. Steve Francis - Too selfish. Time to prove that he can be coached, and that he can carry a team on his back
10. Andre Miller - He came back quietly last season logging good numbers

Kidd - He's not going to be the same player after the knee surgery... I hope!
Payton - He's still good, but age is catching up with him. Remember how he got humiliated by Parker in the playoff series against Spurs? And he's not happy to be in Boston... what a pssy
Iverson - He's a SG. Doubt he can be an effective PG to run an offense. His FG & 3P%s are way too low.

My only concern with Marbury is his stamina & conditioning after playoffs and olympic games. Man, I can't wait for the season to start...!

[Edited by - sky on 09/23/2004 04:34:01]

[Edited by - sky on 09/23/2004 08:28:11]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/23/2004  7:19 AM
Posted by Mac:

Kahn's last position:

6. Stephon Marbury, New York Knicks: Isiah Thomas invested the future of the Knicks and his own credibility in Marbury. Will he step up this year?

Don't you guys love this crap about "investing the future of the Knicks" as if we're a lost franchise without Vujanic and Lampe? At this point I just laugh and blow it off.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/23/2004  7:32 AM
Posted by SKY:

My PG ranking :
1. Stephon Marbury - With Kidd out, he's going to be a man! Need to show that he can be a leader an make others around him better.
2. Tony Parker - He's a great PG, and he's improved dramatically in the past 2 seasons. But he's got Duncan and Manu. Lucky guy.
Stephon is definately the best PG this year. I am sure of it. I really hope TT and Crawford stay healthy.

I dont think Tony Parker is good enough to be #2. I dont think he is better than Steve Nash. I think it should be: Steph, Sam I am, Baron, Nash, D-Wade, Bibby, Tony, Chauncey, Franchise. I want to see what Iverson does before I can rate hi Top 10 PG. He might be more of a scorer, better suited to play 2 or off.
My only concern with Marbury is his stamina & conditioning after playoffs and olympic games. Man, I can't wait for the season to start...!
I think Marbury's stamina will be fine but your fears are well founded. Especially after the Olympics. I cannot wait for the season to start either. NYK3: keep that countdown going.

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 09/23/2004 07:33:15]
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/23/2004  9:03 AM
Dumb rankings.He has Iverson at 2 but writes that he has yet to prove that he can run an offense.WTF? Billups? Writes about Dumars seeing himself in Billups but Dumars was an SG so why include that quote? Besides his numbers arent near Marbs.Cassell? Marbury put up the same numbers in a few more minutes but didnt have close to the same talent to get all those assists.I can see Kidd and Davis ahead although you could argue that Marbury isnt selfish which would put him ahead despite Davis having better numbers.Marbury should be 3rd at the very least.He has him ranked 2nd last year.No reason given for the big drop.
Silverfuel
USA
9/23/2004  9:13 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Dumb rankings.He has Iverson at 2 but writes that he has yet to prove that he can run an offense.WTF?
That IS funny. I dont know why Stephon doesn't get more respect? Anyone have last years PG rankings? IT seems as if as soon as a player puts on the orangeandblue he gets pushed down atleast two or 3 ranks.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/23/2004  9:41 AM
actually I thought this was fair. Until Steph runs a winning team for more than one year this will follow him around and guys with less talent like Billups and Cassell will be regarded as better PGs. I do think Steph is more or as talented as everyone on that list except Iverson
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/23/2004  10:06 AM
Posted by fishmike:

actually I thought this was fair. Until Steph runs a winning team for more than one year this will follow him around and guys with less talent like Billups and Cassell will be regarded as better PGs. I do think Steph is more or as talented as everyone on that list except Iverson
Marbury was 2nd all nba team (behind just Kidd) two years ago. These rankings have a lot to do with how well your team did in the previous season (unless you're cut some slack for making it to the finals previously like Iverson did).
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
9/23/2004  10:07 AM
I think Steph is ranked just wrong there. He should be numero tres behind Kidd and Davis. Iverson has always played sg with philly and now that he will slide to pg and he is already one of the top three?
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
9/23/2004  10:24 AM
These ratings are insane and are made by a guy who doesn't know much about basketball. For instance, he left Andrei Kirilenko off either the small forward or power forward list and he's practically a top 10 player in the league at this point his rankings mean nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I'd put more stock in the NBA Live 2005 rankings...(incidentally: Marbury 85, Baron 88, Francis 85, Kidd 85, Iverson 85, Billups 74, Parker 78...). See, those rankings make a little more sense.

People are biased against the Knicks and particularly Isiah and Steph. That's going to make this year all the more fun.
¿ △ ?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/23/2004  10:25 AM
if Iverson is switching to PG this year, he immediately becomes 1 of the top 3 imho...i would have to rank them like this:

1. Kidd
2. Iverson
3. Marbury
4. Baron
5. Parker
6. Cassell
7. Nash
8. Wade
9. Billups
10. Francis
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/23/2004  10:32 AM
no way Billups is that low. Especially for a PG the success of your team should be a big factor. Billups isnt the playmaker some of those guys are but he's definatly the leader ANY of them are.

Again... I think Marbury could easily be #2 and pass even Kidd this year but he's got a lot to prove. Part of the thing I like about rooting for him is even thought he's been in the league a while he can really make his mark in NY and this could be where he finds himself.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/23/2004  11:17 AM
my rankings are based on individual talent & skills...Billups had a much better team around him than Marbury, Iverson, Baron or some of the others did too...if the poll were judging which PG played on a better team, he'd be on the top of the list.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/23/2004  11:22 AM
i think the next two years are make-or-break years for marbury. if he can elevate his game this season and help the knicks win 45+ and get to the 2nd round, and then get them to a top 2 seed after this season, then he'll be the accepted as the best PG in the league.

billups isn't great, but he's not a slouch. middle of the pack where everything just came together perfectly this past season.
Silverfuel
USA
9/23/2004  2:30 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

middle of the pack where everything just came together perfectly this past season.
Billups is a lot better than middle of the pack. can you give me a PG one rank above and below him? It will help me understand what you are calling middle of the pack.
crzymdups
USA
9/23/2004  4:49 PM
I would BARELY put Billups in the top ten PG in the league. Any team that had a front line of Ben, Rasheed and Tayshun would be tough. Throw in Rip Hamilton as perhaps the hottest young SG in the game after Kobe and Tmac and Chauncey's job is to play defense and hit the open jumper. Chauncey is NOT a playmaker. Plug Marbury in on Detroit and they'd win just as easily and might win a few more.

My Lucky 13:

1) Marbury
2) Davis
3) Iverson
4) Kidd (due to injury)
5) Bibby
6) Nash
7) Cassell
8) Jason Williams
9) Chauncey
10) Francis (will put up numbers this year...)
11) Parker
12) Wade
13) Arenas

[Edited by - crzymdups on 09/23/2004 16:54:19]
¿ △ ?
MS
Member: #724
9/23/2004  5:09 PM
He did invest the future into Marbury. He is the face of the team, and every trade Isiah makes is centered around him.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
9/23/2004  5:21 PM
My rankings would be:
1) Kidd -- Until his injury proves otherwise.
2) Iverson -- He's carried his team to playoff victories and to the finals, nobody else in this group but Kidd can say that.
3) Cassel -- Was awesome last year and has won 2 championships.
4/5/6) Marbury, Francis, Davis -- All will put up big numbers, none has been out of the first round, all criticized for scoring too much. Their talent groups them here, tied.
7) Mike Bibby -- Arguably best pick-and-roll in the game, his big shots.
8) Steve Nash -- Fantastic shooter, awesome at never picking up his dribble. So-so defensive player.
9) Billups -- Quarterbacked an NBA champion.
10) Tony Parker -- Also quarterbacked an NBA champion, I think he'll make the jump this year.
11) Gilbert Arenas -- Awesome scorer, questionable decision-making.
#Knickstaps
crzymdups
USA
9/23/2004  8:17 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

My rankings would be:
1) Kidd -- Until his injury proves otherwise.
2) Iverson -- He's carried his team to playoff victories and to the finals, nobody else in this group but Kidd can say that.
3) Cassel -- Was awesome last year and has won 2 championships.
4/5/6) Marbury, Francis, Davis -- All will put up big numbers, none has been out of the first round, all criticized for scoring too much. Their talent groups them here, tied.
7) Mike Bibby -- Arguably best pick-and-roll in the game, his big shots.
8) Steve Nash -- Fantastic shooter, awesome at never picking up his dribble. So-so defensive player.
9) Billups -- Quarterbacked an NBA champion.
10) Tony Parker -- Also quarterbacked an NBA champion, I think he'll make the jump this year.
11) Gilbert Arenas -- Awesome scorer, questionable decision-making.

Okay. I like your rankings better than mine
¿ △ ?
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/24/2004  9:04 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Good assessment.

I'll put Marbury ahead of them all. He might not be the best but I think he matches up with anyone. Marbs is our guy and I'm glad we got him.

My Rankings:
1)Jason Kidd: He's the best point guard at everything and the best decision maker in the game.

2)Marbury: He's been #2 in assists for most of his career and no one can keep him out the lane. Great court vision.

3)Baron Davis: He'll find a way to score, he's a big clutch performer. More or a play maker than a decision maker.

4)Iverson: He's always been a point guard it's just he's been given the ultimate green light to score. Biggest heart in sports also one of the quickest.

5)Steve Nash: Great court vision. May be the biggest threat from the outside. Slick and crafty moves to the basket and great open court player.

6)Sam Cassell: You don't want the ball in his hands down the stretch. Best mid range game at his position. He's lost a step or too but knows his position.

7)Chancey Billups: Cold as ice. He's the biggest point guard not named Kidd. Great defender and takes advatage of what the defense gives him. The only point guard able to be effective with Larry Browns whining every posession.

8)Steve Francis: He's a strong athelete but seems to work too hard during the game to get his stats. Not good at running an offense. Unless he's passing to Cuttino.

9)Mike Bibby: Great shooter and is always active in the offense. Not really a floor general because of the offense his team runs. Good heart and determination.

10)Tony Parker: Very fast. Not a very good decision maker. He is a streaky shooter and if he's not scoring he is uneffective.

*)Jason Williams: May have the best court vision in basketball. He would average more assists if guys would learn to keep their eye's peeled. Can't tell a good shot from a bad one. Easily rattled.

**)Dwayne Wade: Awesome scorer. He could and should be in the top ten but he's not really a point guard. He brings the ball up but then turns into a scorer.

I think my top ten plus 2 is the best

[Edited by - enyspree on 09/24/2004 09:07:48]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
OT PG Rankings

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy