Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/22/2004  9:22 PM
NY trades Tim Thomas & Kurt Thomas
NY gets Shareef Abdur-Rahim & Ruben Patterson

- Rahim gives the Knicks the low post scoring threat they lack, & can switch between SF & PF on certain rotations when Sweetney is on the floor, w/Ruben being a valuable player off the bench to pair w/Penny & Ariza at the swing position...Rahim's expiring contract is also a valuable trade chip to have at the trade deadline.

POR trades Shareef Abdur-Rahim & Ruben Patterson
POR gets Jerry Stackhouse & Tim Thomas

- Stack & TT give the Blazers a pair of athletic swing players & they get rid of a malcontented player & another player who they would probably like to get rid of as well in Ruben.

DAL trades Jerry Stackhouse
DAL gets Kurt Thomas

- KT gives the Mavs some physical presence down low on D for a swing player they don't really need anyway...this deal is alot easier for them to make than to find a team willing to take on Finley's longterm deal & get back good value for him in the process.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
9/22/2004  9:37 PM
Not bad at all. Someone call Zeke.
¿ △ ?
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
9/22/2004  10:27 PM
I think Dallas and NY would like it, but Portland might shy away from the added contracts. T Thomas has 2 years left and Stackhouse 3. Although them moving Patterson would sweeten the deal, they still lose 15 million in cap room next season. I think they would rather let Abdhur Rahim walk or trade him mid-season.

I do like the trade though.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/22/2004  10:44 PM
Posted by toodarkmark:

I think they would rather let Abdhur Rahim walk or trade him mid-season.

I do like the trade though.
yep. I dont see Portland doing this because Stack and TT are both very injury prone over the last two years. Also, if they sit on Shareef cause they dont get equal value in a trade, they will be getting a huge amount of thier cap.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/22/2004  11:24 PM
After re-signing Miles, the Blazers probably won't be looking to add an SF (let alone two)
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
9/23/2004  2:04 AM
Tim Thomas is better than Shareef and Kurt Thomas is better than Patterson
Silverfuel
USA
9/23/2004  7:34 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Tim Thomas is better than Shareef
GUNS AT HIS BEST!! LMAO
and Kurt Thomas is better than Patterson
WOW! YOU are giving KT respect? What happened?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/23/2004  7:59 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I'd rather have TT than Shareef even though Shareef puts up better #s. He's a better fit for the team. And obviously Kurt is better than Ruben. The only point in making this trade would be to get Shareef's expiring contract.
TMS
USA
9/23/2004  9:22 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

After re-signing Miles, the Blazers probably won't be looking to add an SF (let alone two)

Stackhouse is a natural SG...if you want to call him a SF, then i guess you consider Sprewell a SF too?

you would have Miles, TT & Stack manning the SF & SG positions...why is that a bad thing? 2 of them start & the other becomes the 6th man.

& just how is he better? neither one of them have elevated the level of play of their teams to the point where you could make that type of statement, & Rahim's career numbers are much better...it's not as if TT is a defensive wizard either...both of them are good, talented players, but Rahim has a low post scoring game, something which anyone who knows this team realizes is their biggest hole to fill right now...just how does anyone think Rahim doesn't fit the needs of this team?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/23/2004  9:27 AM
tt gets better daily.
Silverfuel
USA
9/23/2004  9:30 AM
I think Shareef is a better player than TT as well but I think, if TT can stay healthy for 70 to 80 games this year, I would rather have him running with Steph and Craw.

This is off topic but, I just cannot wait to see how fast a backcourt of Steph and Crawford is going to be. They really are going to be lightning quick. I would say Steph and Craw make us Top 3 best Backcourts in the NBA. Our 3 guard rotation where Crawford can run with Steph and Houston is without a doubt the best in the league.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/23/2004  9:46 AM
Posted by TMS:

[DAL trades Jerry Stackhouse
DAL gets Kurt Thomas

Would they do that straight up? Heck no....

What is up with Dallas' roster? They actually need to make this trade. Getting KT would at the very least give Dampier some help on the boards.

Besides Stack they have Howard, Daniels and Finley....all those dudes need to start. Talk about NY having a glut at swingman? They have it worse.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
toodarkmark
Member: #515
USA
9/23/2004  9:54 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

I think Shareef is a better player than TT as well but I think, if TT can stay healthy for 70 to 80 games this year, I would rather have him running with Steph and Craw.

This is off topic but, I just cannot wait to see how fast a backcourt of Steph and Crawford is going to be. They really are going to be lightning quick. I would say Steph and Craw make us Top 3 best Backcourts in the NBA. Our 3 guard rotation where Crawford can run with Steph and Houston is without a doubt the best in the league.

Shareef may be a better player, but his teams are perenial losers. The first time he's on a team that is making the playoffs (which they didnt) he's suddenly a reserve. 8 years in the league and no playoffs. Of course you can't blame him, but there have been players who have done real well on bad teams, and tanked on good teams.

I am WAYYYY excited about Marbury and Crawford running together. I envision a two man game a la Francis and Mobely, but MUCH better. And my hope is they can add an All Star big man next off season.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/23/2004  3:37 PM
I agree with Bonn, I'd rather have TT here than Shareef.

First of all, Shareef threatened to sit out in Portland because he didn't want to play the 3. Second, we'd be trading away our only true SF (besides Ariza who has yet to play in an NBA game), and finally, I think we'd be better off for the future letting Sweetney develop than adding Shareef.

I suppose we could trade him off mid-season if things didn't work out. He is an expiring contract and we would probably be able to get a very nice play out of it, but it's hard to go that route, not knowing who is available.

[Edited by - MaTT4281 on 09/23/2004 15:38:17]
TMS
USA
9/23/2004  3:54 PM
the expiring contract aspect of his deal is what makes this trade even more attractive from the Knicks' standpoint...it doesn't matter if you don't know who's going to be available...the fact remains that Shareef will be eminently more tradeable & can get you alot more in return in a trade than Tim Thomas can at the allstar break...there are always good players who become available at the trade deadline...i'd like to have the assets necessary to go after them if need be...& even if there aren't any worthwhile players who become available at the trade deadline, Shareef is still a better player overall than Tim Thomas.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/23/2004  4:08 PM
the only thing I like about this is Rahim's deal is a mego blue chip come trading time and Isiah's proven he can make a big deal.

Talent wise its probably an upgrade for us, but TT is a perfect fit for a team with Crawford and Marbury. One of the things I like about Isiah's moves so far is he's put together skilled players that have complimentary skills. Rahim and Patterson both have a lot to offer but I dont consider them goo fits. Thats just me. Also like Bonn said Miles is a 40 minute a night player at the 3. Why add two more? Sure you could play Jerry at the 2 but they still have Derrick Anderson there also.

I guess I'm pretty happy with this squad unless we can land an athletic 5 to pair with Sweets moving forward.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
9/23/2004  4:44 PM
This trade is ok only because Shareef is on his last year and can be traded for a big man preferable a C. But since good C is scarce in the NBA these days, I would rather stick with the current squad.

Unless TMS reverse this trade and make it for Ratliff instead.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
TMS
USA
9/23/2004  8:30 PM
trust me, i wish i could think up a trade to get Ratliff, but POR seems to love him & he's an ending contract as well, so i doubt we have any shot at him unless as a FA if he'll accept a MLE offer next year & wants to play in NY.
3 way trade w/POR & DAL

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy