[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What's the consensus on Dennis Smith Jr?
Author Thread
jskinny35
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #928
USA
3/21/2019  11:29 AM
If we land the #1 it seems like it's Zion. If we land pick #2-5 we have some decisions to make about who to select. If we stick with best prospect available - it seems like we might be looking strongly at Ja Morant. So... do we think Dennis Smith Jr has the tools and talent to be our point guard of the future? If not, we pick Ja and case closed. If we do think - do we still select Ja and try to trade DSJr to a team that needs a point (eg Phx)? Wondering what people here think about DSJr and his possible future here? I'm torn because he seems to have the tools and athletic ability, yet there seems to be a PG quality possibly missing... he's still young, our team sucked this year - so maybe unfair to evaluate? That said, if we are sold on his talent and potential - then we're likely looking at RJ, Rui and others... We in or out on DSJr?
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/21/2019  11:34 AM
I do what Boston did with Terry Rozier and Marcus Smart. Develop them. Carlisle is a very rigid coach ( a good one) and Fiz is coaching a god awful team.
Its not that I trade him, Its what I'd get in return. I don't know who we draft and our free agent catch.
Ja Morant might be raw and if we are "win now" for some reason that's a different timeline.

Concensus? Undecided for Nalod.

jskinny35
USA
3/21/2019  11:56 AM
I hear you but think that there would be too much distraction between Ja and DSJr being on the same team... really can't see DSJr being okay with sharing minutes with Ja. It could be another distraction next year when we're trying to finally start playing ball again (eg no tanking). I think their talent/athletics are similar, but not sure who has the leadership, smarts, intangibles to be the one to lead us... thanks for your thoughts!
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/21/2019  12:00 PM
We need so much that balancing the roster is irrelevant. If Ja is the third best player and we draft third, that's who we take. That has little to nothing to do with DSJ and everything go do with the roster being a little talent dumpster fire
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/21/2019  12:08 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:We need so much that balancing the roster is irrelevant. If Ja is the third best player and we draft third, that's who we take. That has little to nothing to do with DSJ and everything go do with the roster being a little talent dumpster fire

Yep. We go BPA and continue collecting assets. Maybe trade down if we find a team that loves Morant.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/21/2019  12:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2019  12:47 PM
Nalod wrote:I do what Boston did with Terry Rozier and Marcus Smart. Develop them. Carlisle is a very rigid coach ( a good one) and Fiz is coaching a god awful team.
Its not that I trade him, Its what I'd get in return. I don't know who we draft and our free agent catch.
Ja Morant might be raw and if we are "win now" for some reason that's a different timeline.

Name the players on this team that are god awful?

ES
Chandler
Member: #6197

3/21/2019  12:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2019  12:57 PM
BPA period. We have no young stars to dissuade us from that course. Even if we had KD and Kyrie and Kawhi in the bag, still stick to BPA because of the age difference

And DSJ certainly has not shown enough to dissuade us from that approach

(5)(5)
jskinny35
USA
3/21/2019  1:12 PM
I get BPA - what I'm asking/saying is the FO has to decide what they think of DSJr or next year is going to be a big distraction if we also select Ja Morant. Nothing is certain, but we have to make some sense of a decision if we feel he/DSJr is the one to go forward with. DSJr didn't like sharing the spotlight/ball with Luka - that's partially why he's here. The same thing is likely to happen if we draft Ja. We have enough information to believe that having 2 young, talented PG's is likely to result in this. I'm not saying we can't draft Ja and then trade DSJr - I'm asking us fans that have been watching to weigh in on if they believe DSJr has the goods or potential to be our future PG. It's a small sample size and not an easy call - but if we think he has it - it would likely influence who we draft (eg RJ instead of Ja).
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/21/2019  1:34 PM
jskinny35 wrote:I get BPA - what I'm asking/saying is the FO has to decide what they think of DSJr or next year is going to be a big distraction if we also select Ja Morant. Nothing is certain, but we have to make some sense of a decision if we feel he/DSJr is the one to go forward with. DSJr didn't like sharing the spotlight/ball with Luka - that's partially why he's here. The same thing is likely to happen if we draft Ja. We have enough information to believe that having 2 young, talented PG's is likely to result in this. I'm not saying we can't draft Ja and then trade DSJr - I'm asking us fans that have been watching to weigh in on if they believe DSJr has the goods or potential to be our future PG. It's a small sample size and not an easy call - but if we think he has it - it would likely influence who we draft (eg RJ instead of Ja).

Even if the front office is high on DSJ, you go with Morant if you think he's the best player available. Imagine if Dallas worried about any potential distractions when they drafted Luka? DSJ has potential, but not enough for us to blindly throw him the keys. As an aside, I'm not particularly high on Morant, but I'll but I'll leave it up to our scouting department.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/21/2019  1:37 PM
DSjr hasn't answered any questions.
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/21/2019  2:06 PM
Don't really see how he fits with Kyrie, I'd rather keep Frank as he would be the better fit.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/21/2019  2:11 PM
Right now my biggest concern with DSJr going forward is his back.

Skills wise he is the best young PG we've had on this squad in decades. I would not trade him even if we drafted Morant. Would at least want to see either Morant take the job from DSjr, or try them as a backcourt. Taking turns running the point, playing off the ball, before making a decision.

If Smith jr wasnt a very willing passer, and a dynamic scorer, I might look for offers. Has shown enough to want to see him brought back for another season. The price is right.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/21/2019  2:21 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Right now my biggest concern with DSJr going forward is his back.

Skills wise he is the best young PG we've had on this squad in decades. I would not trade him even if we drafted Morant. Would at least want to see either Morant take the job from DSjr, or try them as a backcourt. Taking turns running the point, playing off the ball, before making a decision.

If Smith jr wasnt a very willing passer, and a dynamic scorer, I might look for offers. Has shown enough to want to see him brought back for another season. The price is right.

Haven't seen DSJr except his time on the Knicks. He is VERY athletic.

Shot isn't very good, haven't seen him really take control of an offense, passing is nothing that has separated him and some of his passing decisions are very suspect. Not a willing defender.

I guess I don't understand what a willing passer means, nor dynamic scorer, especially in the context of being a PG.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/21/2019  3:41 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:I do what Boston did with Terry Rozier and Marcus Smart. Develop them. Carlisle is a very rigid coach ( a good one) and Fiz is coaching a god awful team.

Often the lack of chemistry, or the talent does not add up. One might say "Chemistry".
One might say "experience/maturity", one might say "inconsistency", and one might say "roster construction".
Another might read my signature and think your picture would be next to it.

One might say "it does not add up for now" and understand the part that says "for now".
Another might say " I know what I don't know". Not you.
My expectations was not that high with this team preseason. It was about a late run with KP and our vets. That day has come and gone.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
3/21/2019  4:44 PM
Smith doesn’t play as hard as he should. He seems like he has talent he doesn’t seem to play hard.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/21/2019  5:25 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Right now my biggest concern with DSJr going forward is his back.

No reason for him to rush back but this is concerning.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Cartman718
Member: #1694

3/21/2019  6:49 PM
The consensus is he will be out of the league in 5 years. sorry not high on him at all...europe and china are calling
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
3/21/2019  6:58 PM
Smith abilities are high but maturity level low.
No sense of urgency and looks like issue with his regiment and professional approach.
He need help with his game and his overall preparation.
Its no way to know if he will became an NBA level pro for now.
Any near-sure thing will kick him out to the end of the bench.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
3/21/2019  7:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2019  7:16 PM
Ja over DSj as the PG. Trade DSj keep Frank as the backup. Can DSj play the 2? or 1A? then keep him.

I don't want KYRIE. I'd rather go Ja and make a run at Durant AND Kawhii, hard. if Kawhii is out then get the next best 2/3 (Kemba ?) you can get. Dotson is showing he is at least a backup 2. Knox needs more grooming and playing behing KD and Kawhii would be perfect.

Ja
DSj
Kawhii
KD
Mitch

DSj cant defend the 2...maybe start Dotson and make DSj the 6th man?

sidsanders
Member: #2426

3/21/2019  8:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

you just posted an agreement with this post in a diff thread http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=58992&page=5:
Dotson and Robinson are the only players I care about. We can trade everyone else as far as Im concerned.

if you think that is true, do you not think this team has some bad players? at the least you must not think they are worth keeping if you agree with that post. if they are not worth keeping, what value do you think they have?

GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!!
What's the consensus on Dennis Smith Jr?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy