[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Did we trade for the wrong PG?
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/17/2019  7:54 PM
Jalen Brunson last 7 games. 18pts, 3.6rebs, 5.3ast on 59% shooting.

"We're proud of him, very proud of him," coach Carlisle said. "He's a winner all the way. I see him continuing to get better. [Brunson] does everything right. He works at his craft and pays attention to detail. This guy was the 33rd pick in the draft. Pretty good."
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
Sangfroid
Member: #2784

3/17/2019  8:03 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Jalen Brunson last 7 games. 18pts, 3.6rebs, 5.3ast on 59% shooting.

"We're proud of him, very proud of him," coach Carlisle said. "He's a winner all the way. I see him continuing to get better. [Brunson] does everything right. He works at his craft and pays attention to detail. This guy was the 33rd pick in the draft. Pretty good."

Jalen ws definitely the one to get. Unfortunately, he wasn't the one being dangled

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
3/17/2019  8:52 PM
Sangfroid wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Jalen Brunson last 7 games. 18pts, 3.6rebs, 5.3ast on 59% shooting.

Jalen ws definitely the one to get. Unfortunately, he wasn't the one being dangled

He was my late draft pick we could've purchased in the late 1st round....along with his teammate Bridges(instead of knox)

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/17/2019  9:48 PM
Well, I found it sad (and odd) that the Mavs would pick up Doncic and then draft Brunson in the 2nd round with DSJr on board. Well, I thought it was a sad fate for Brunson, anyway, after being an NCAA champion starting PG.

It's clearly KP's leadership that's helping rise to new heights.

It's a bit funny about fitting in with a team. I think a lot of folks felt that Ntilikina would be a very functional PG in tandem with KP. While that may be the case, we won't see it.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

3/17/2019  10:11 PM
Big Brunson fan...Its a joke that he lasted into the 2nd round last year after winning player of the year and winning a championship. On draft night, I was hoping that we would acquire another 2nd round pick once I saw that he slipped out of the 1st round.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

3/17/2019  11:18 PM
blkexec wrote:
Sangfroid wrote:

He was my late draft pick we could've purchased in the late 1st round....along with his teammate Bridges(instead of knox)

You can't buy a 1st round pick for cash considerations. The standard cash allotment per team, even with the bump in the last few years, doesn't even come close to approximating market value anyway for a pick in the range.

Given the way the current Rookie Scale Exception is constructed, this would also create a horrible open negative PR situation as cash rich teams would effectively have another loophole in their favor.

Then again, I've been told endlessly that cash in a white envelope can get you pretty far in AAU though.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
3/18/2019  6:15 AM
After watching the tourney last year, I thought Brunson would make a nice addition to this team. He is just a good solid player. Like most players who have fathers who were in the league, he has a more developed understanding of how to play NBA ball. The issue is going to be once teams start game planning for him, but I think he will overcome and will have a solid career. A guy like Smith has more upside as a scorer but he has to learn the NBA game and what it takes to win. Brunson already has a lot of that knowledge.
Trust the Process
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/18/2019  7:34 AM
Uptown wrote:Big Brunson fan...Its a joke that he lasted into the 2nd round last year after winning player of the year and winning a championship. On draft night, I was hoping that we would acquire another 2nd round pick once I saw that he slipped out of the 1st round.

I agree that it's a ****ing joke that he lasted until the 2nd. Things like that give me hope I could be a GM one day. That said, brunson over DSJ? Seriously people? that would be like being "nah, we're good, we're building our team around Charlie Ward"

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
3/18/2019  8:10 AM
Look, if Fizdale can turn Mudiay into a competent pg, which has when compared to what Mudiay looked like last year, then I can only imagine how good DSJ is going to look next season if he buys into Fizdale's program and works hard. Given that anticipated growth, I would take Smith over Brunson easily, though I did like Brunson too out of the draft.
Trust the Process
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/18/2019  9:32 AM
Mavs are 1-6.
Not saying those stats are meaningless. Not saying what his +/- is.
He is the kind of 22 year old player that is a low ceiling player but can hang in the league.
Knicks are taking a high volume/high ceiling approach in my opinion. If true we will wiff on some. Brunson defensively? Scouting report was iffy. Aren't they all.
newyorknewyork
3/18/2019  10:11 AM
Nalod wrote:Mavs are 1-6.
Not saying those stats are meaningless. Not saying what his +/- is.
He is the kind of 22 year old player that is a low ceiling player but can hang in the league.
Knicks are taking a high volume/high ceiling approach in my opinion. If true we will wiff on some. Brunson defensively? Scouting report was iffy. Aren't they all.

It's an extremely small sample size. I was just having fun with it.

newyorknewyork
3/18/2019  10:17 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Uptown wrote:Big Brunson fan...Its a joke that he lasted into the 2nd round last year after winning player of the year and winning a championship. On draft night, I was hoping that we would acquire another 2nd round pick once I saw that he slipped out of the 1st round.

I agree that it's a ****ing joke that he lasted until the 2nd. Things like that give me hope I could be a GM one day. That said, brunson over DSJ? Seriously people? that would be like being "nah, we're good, we're building our team around Charlie Ward"

At 18pts per game if he maintained that pace. He wouldn't be looked at as a Charlie Ward. They would have also been able to ask for more in the deal of Branson was the guy instead of DSJr. But I do agree they would never be able to sell that they moved KP for Branson. If Smith don't pan out they can say they gambled on a great talent. If Branson didn't pan out....

Optics matter more than substance.

Nalod
USA
3/18/2019  11:03 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:

At 18pts per game if he maintained that pace. He wouldn't be looked at as a Charlie Ward. They would have also been able to ask for more in the deal of Branson was the guy instead of DSJr. But I do agree they would never be able to sell that they moved KP for Branson. If Smith don't pan out they can say they gambled on a great talent. If Branson didn't pan out....

Optics matter more than substance.

Dress up that sarcasm!!!! Sorry I missed the fun part!
We are well past the "sell" part of this rebuild. For some fans its just getting frustrating and very little can satisfy them until we either get stars on paper or wins on the court. Dolan has become the object of "affection" again with his latest antics.

I will say the team that beat the sad Lakers yesterday did not play like a team that given up on the coach. Im not saying Lakers are formidable but our team is not exactly a roster dream either. Knox had a solid outing as did Dotson. Add him to the "developed" list.

There is a point to Mario being role player and perhaps on a good team. We'll see him next year with SAS and blame Fiz.

technomaster
USA
3/18/2019  12:51 PM
Yeah, well, we got the player who the Mavs were willing to trade. We have no idea whether the Knicks asked for Brunson.

Brunson had a fantastic college career. His shooting stats in his final season were phenomenal. 60%fg, 40%3pt, 80%ft. With 2 NCAA titles on his resume, he'll go down as one of the all-time great college PGs.

So with all that, he came into the NBA relatively old. Drafted at 21, he's 22 now. He was already 19 when he started college.

Compared to the Knicks:
* ~6 months younger than Mudiay
* ~15 months older the DSJr
* ~23 months older than Ntilikina.

The problem with relating age and upside is that everyone has a different development/experience curve. As a 19 year old freshman, he was averaging 24mpg and learning on a veteran college squad against college competition. He didn't light the world on fire then, but was solid and played within himself as part of a title team. Fast forward to his junior year he was the driving force for a title team. He improved his game craft to the point where he could dominate against his level of competition.

On the other hand... our Knick lottery PGs took a very different approach. Mudiay had a year of pro experience then had to learn on the fly vs NBA competition. Frank also made a bit of a leap. The Mavs saw enough potential in DSJr as a freshman that he was a lottery pick. Who knows how much he'd have grown as a player with another year in college vs a year in the NBA.

We'll never know, but according to Wikipedia, DSJr turned down Duke (Grayson Allen), Wake Forest (Bryant Crawford), UNC (Joel Berry, now in the G-league, part time with Lakers?), and Kentucky (He likely would have replaced either D'Aaron Fox & Malik Monk) to play at NC State.

DSJr with a year of coaching from coach K, Danny Manning, Roy Williams, or Calipari? Perhaps he'd have hit the NBA as a different player. At the same time, perhaps he turned them all down because most of the other coaches on this list wanted to play him as a SG.

Nalod
USA
3/18/2019  1:35 PM
technomaster wrote:Yeah, well, we got the player who the Mavs were willing to trade. We have no idea whether the Knicks asked for Brunson.

Brunson had a fantastic college career. His shooting stats in his final season were phenomenal. 60%fg, 40%3pt, 80%ft. With 2 NCAA titles on his resume, he'll go down as one of the all-time great college PGs.

So with all that, he came into the NBA relatively old. Drafted at 21, he's 22 now. He was already 19 when he started college.

Compared to the Knicks:

The problem with relating age and upside is that everyone has a different development/experience curve. As a 19 year old freshman, he was averaging 24mpg and learning on a veteran college squad against college competition. He didn't light the world on fire then, but was solid and played within himself as part of a title team. Fast forward to his junior year he was the driving force for a title team. He improved his game craft to the point where he could dominate against his level of competition.

On the other hand... our Knick lottery PGs took a very different approach. Mudiay had a year of pro experience then had to learn on the fly vs NBA competition. Frank also made a bit of a leap. The Mavs saw enough potential in DSJr as a freshman that he was a lottery pick. Who knows how much he'd have grown as a player with another year in college vs a year in the NBA.

We'll never know, but according to Wikipedia, DSJr turned down Duke (Grayson Allen), Wake Forest (Bryant Crawford), UNC (Joel Berry, now in the G-league, part time with Lakers?), and Kentucky (He likely would have replaced either D'Aaron Fox & Malik Monk) to play at NC State.

DSJr with a year of coaching from coach K, Danny Manning, Roy Williams, or Calipari? Perhaps he'd have hit the NBA as a different player. At the same time, perhaps he turned them all down because most of the other coaches on this list wanted to play him as a SG.

DSjr missed his senior year in HS with ACL. He has the freakish extra tendon in his knee with gives him the freakish return to play. He had to not only return to form, but then acclimate to the next level of play. Would the other schools have given him that much play? Or as we have learned, money?

Funny you mention Mudiay, if he was a rookie this season would we not all be just praising the gods for this rookie and being chill on his deficits? Maybe.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/18/2019  4:55 PM
technomaster wrote:Yeah, well, we got the player who the Mavs were willing to trade. We have no idea whether the Knicks asked for Brunson.

Compared to the Knicks:

There is a great, very thorough article on the Knicks in Tye Atletic by Sam Vecenie. In the article Vecenie says Smith is the best prospect on the Knicks roster in his opinion. I can’t post the article but if you get their app you get 4 free articles a month.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/18/2019  6:28 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Compared to the Knicks:

There is a great, very thorough article on the Knicks in Tye Atletic by Sam Vecenie. In the article Vecenie says Smith is the best prospect on the Knicks roster in his opinion. I can’t post the article but if you get their app you get 4 free articles a month.

He said that, even though we have Mitch on the roster? I can't take that article seriously.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/18/2019  8:59 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Compared to the Knicks:

He said that, even though we have Mitch on the roster? I can't take that article seriously.

He did say that. Some guys don't value centers as much. It was a fantastic article. There is a ton of stuff in there. Definitely worth your time.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
3/19/2019  9:46 AM
I liked Brunson in the draft. I was surprised he went that low...reminds me of Mark Jackson. Has the intangibles. He is a winner 2x in college. Team leader personality. Not overly athletic but knows how to get it done on the court.
technomaster
USA
3/19/2019  9:50 AM
I presume you mean this article? I'm not a subscriber. Meh.

https://athletique.com/852400/2019/03/13/knicks-draft-fits-roster-analysis-cap-situation-and-team-specific-big-board/

For what it's worth, the writer likes covering Dennis Smith Jr...
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/8qyxm3/dennis-smith-jr-is-back-from-injury-and-nc-state-and-the-nba-are-next

Skip to 56:43 on the Vecenie podcast (from December 2018):
https://gametheorysam.libsyn.com/who-replaces-alford-at-ucla-nba-draft-risers-dennis-smith-and-pat-mccaw

Did we trade for the wrong PG?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy