[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The biggest surprise team in the NBA will be Orlando
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/22/2004  12:43 AM
i think the trade for McGrady is WAY undervalued---heck getting Steve Francis who is a 20 point 6 .5 reb 6 assit guy at PG would be in the range of enough but to throw in Cutino Mobley who is one of the most under-rated players in the league+ a 6-11 270 pound athletic shot blocker--i think the magic did very well heck it reminds me a bit of when they traded for Grant hill--they gave up 3-1 in that trade and look how it turned out. They added Dwight Howard Hedo turkglo, they re getting back garrity and hill+ they added tremendous veteran depth.

if you look at the line up of

C Cato 6-11 270
PF Howard 6-11 245
SF Hill 6-8 225
SG Mobley 6-4 200
PG Francis 6-3 205
C Battie 6-11 240
PF Garrity 6-9 240
SF Turkglo 6-10 225
SG Bogans 6-5 215
PG Nelson 6-0 200

depth
6-10 240 Bradley
6-8 210 Augmon
6-5 210 Stevenson
6-10 250 Declerq

this team is MUCH MUCH improved defensively more diversified fire power with much needed quality depth

of course it remains to be seen with Grant Hill but all things are go with him this team talent wise is AS GOOD as ANY team in the east iF healthy IMHO. they have the high quality size and dpeth in the frontcourt that is pivotal--a top 3 PG and they are much more athletic as a whole unit. Even if grant ends up out--this team will be radically improved. if the team is as is they will compete for a 4-8 seed I think they are every bit as good as the knicks or better.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
9/22/2004  12:56 AM
It also depends on how quickly Howard develops.
Masterplan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #362
9/22/2004  1:22 AM
Posted by Rich:

It also depends on how quickly Howard develops.

and if francis is the best guy to help him develop. if he didn't want to play with yao, will he be that much happier with howard? or will he dominate the ball and be selfish with his shots? that's a big question mark for the team.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/22/2004  8:38 AM
maybe moving forward but here's the thing(s):

Howards defense will be terible. Is he Amare part 2? Maybe but there is a learning curve.. especially for bigs. Also didnt Howard struggle in the SL?

Please please please lets see if Hill is playing after xmas...

If Mobley was on this team you would die. This guy is a world class chucker. He's what would happen if you gave Lavar Postell 20 shots a game. You have Yao in the post but a contested 3 looks like a better shot to him. Maybe he's ready to change... maybe he's not.

I do agree w/ your assesment of the TMac trade, and thing the Magic got the better. Tmac's back, work habits and wishy washy attitude would have made it an easy trade for me. Personally I would have looked to move Mobley for a big but thats just me.

Magic have a long way to go....
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/22/2004  8:40 AM
I guess this will be two years in a row that Orlando was the biggest surprise in the NBA
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
9/22/2004  8:42 AM
Posted by fishmike:

maybe moving forward but here's the thing(s):

Howards defense will be terible. Is he Amare part 2? Maybe but there is a learning curve.. especially for bigs. Also didnt Howard struggle in the SL?

Please please please lets see if Hill is playing after xmas...

If Mobley was on this team you would die. This guy is a world class chucker. He's what would happen if you gave Lavar Postell 20 shots a game. You have Yao in the post but a contested 3 looks like a better shot to him. Maybe he's ready to change... maybe he's not.

I do agree w/ your assesment of the TMac trade, and thing the Magic got the better. Tmac's back, work habits and wishy washy attitude would have made it an easy trade for me. Personally I would have looked to move Mobley for a big but thats just me.

Magic have a long way to go....
Is this the same Briggs that got so many votes on the other thread?
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
9/22/2004  8:46 AM
Orlando? LOL!
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/22/2004  9:05 AM

I think Orlando is taken for granted, but they will be much improved. All teams have ifs. If marbs goes down with an ankle, are we so solid? I would not count on Dwight for at least the first half of the season, in fact he might not even start. The Magic will have one of the better backcourts in the game, and IF Grant is 3/4 the player he used to be, they will be solid.

They are doing a nice Re-do on that team. THey have both veterans and some nice youth.

I would put them in "a work in progress" with an eye of 2nd half of the season to see how its working.

Teams like boston and Orlando will not be cake walks toward the back end of the season.

With the likes of Miami, PHilly and Cleavland all improving and/or maturing, its will be important for some of these to put it together fast and get a good jump on the season. Those early few games will not be fatal to a good team, but can offer homecourt advantage, or division title.

Thus, I hope Lenny can get a group effort and hit the ground running in the first 2 months of the season.
tkf
Member: #87
9/22/2004  9:42 AM
I also think that the magic will be better than most people think, but as mentioned they have a lot of questions.... As far as mobley, this guy is a big time chucker who IMO does not make this team better, I remember when francis got hurt the rockets lost something like 17 out of 20 games with mobley leading that team... I do think Orlando came out pretty good in that deal though..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/22/2004  10:00 AM
Yeah,Grant Hill needs to be healthy to get them over the hump.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
9/22/2004  10:12 AM
I think the biggest surprise in the NBA will be the Knicks.

-Houston coming back from surgery>Hill coming back from surgery (I'm talking in terms of likelihood).
-Sweetney will be more ready to contribute than Howard, who had zero offensive moves and struggled to score in the SL. It's basically 4 on 5 when the Magic play offense.
-Adding Crawford is huge, taking pressure off of Marbury.
-The influence of Isiah on Marbury is huge. We saw this in the Olympics, when Marbury was struggled and called Isiah, he responded by being the best player on the floor two games in a row. We will see this even more this year.
-They have an entire training camp to work with Lenny Wilkens.

I think all of those factors outweigh the Magic. In 3 years when Howard is putting up 25/12/3 I'll give them the nod, but right now the Knicks look like they're in better shape.
#Knickstaps
fishmike
USA
9/22/2004  11:49 AM
chemistry is the xfactor in the NBA. A perfect example is the Bucks. Pretty much everyone picked the Bucks to win 18 games and be among the worst in the NBA. Instead they were competing for homecourt through out the year. Nobody on that team did anything crazy... Ford was solid until he got hurt. TT was great down the stretch hitting big baskets, Redd continues to improve... but most of all they just played good together, and whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

This goes both ways... The Lakers won 56 games with 4 HOFers. I would say based on their talent thats a disapointment. The Jazz were so confident they were offering refunds if they didnt make the playoffs, and Terry, Rahim, Jackson and Ratliff look like a solid squad on paper. 2 months later they are looking to have a fire sale.
BRIGGS
9/22/2004  12:29 PM
I dont expect Dwight to be consistent on the o--he will have his games where he gets a great deal of high % shots and others he will struggle. But where i like him in year 1, will be his ability to really become a dominant type rebounder/shot blocker right away. he's to big athletic and skilled not to have immediate impact. I think he is mentally stronger with a much better supporting cast then a guy like kwame brown. This is a guy coming into the league who is 6-11 with a wingspan of 7-5 and can jump over 3 feet in the air and has tremendous basketball IQ with skills for his age. He's going to have his 20 point games and hes going to have 6 point games, but if he gets 30+ minutes --hes going to average 13 points 11 rebounds 3 blocks 4 assits and be a real disruptive force on the D if you add in Garrity for the other 15-18 minutes as aback up--you are likely looking at 18-19 points 15 rebounds 5 assits coming out of that 4 spot
shooting close to 50%. Lat year really that had no c they had PFs playing C--now they dont have a supertsra for sure, but they have 2 athletci shot blockers who can also rebound. So their interior D will be RADICALLY improved from last year--night and day IMHO.

Arguably they have a top 3 PG who in any give season can be ranked 1-2-3. hes just as good as Marbury--sometimes better sometimes worse but right on par with Marbury which says a lot. Mobley is very under rated---a chaucker? well 2Gs are supposed to score and he does so at 43% in this offense I see him going back to 20 points 4 reb 3 assits with solid D.

Last year who played 1-2 if we count Tmac as 3? Gordon gircek+stevenson bogans +jaques vaughn now they have Steve Francis Cutino Mobley Bogans and Jameer Nelson

Grant hill in his prime was a better player than Mcgrady and if he is healthy and at 75% of his old self, he will be a tremendous complimentary player at SF--remember he has been 1st and 2nd team all defensive as well with hedo backing him up OR starting if grant cant go.

They lost a lot of ME type players who wrent good two way players. there will be NO team in the league who will have improved as much in the defensive+rebounding dept+ they have done a marvelous job of diversyfing the O and adding the depth they just didnt have last year. they spent the money--they made some smart trades and they got 1-2 what I would call lock franchise type players along the frontline in the draft--in addition to the player of the year in Nelson who reminds me a lot of tim hardaway without the hops

I agree with Nalod-there are a lot of ifs and it is going to take some time when you change over the roster, but i think they can get things going after the intial 10 games--in the eastthat doesnt mean much--just like the knicks--even if we do suffer in the first ten--its not a big deal.
RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
Member: #87
9/22/2004  12:39 PM
Grant hill in his prime was better than Mcgrady?

ooohh, I dunno about that....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
fishmike
USA
9/22/2004  12:51 PM
Posted by tkf:

Grant hill in his prime was better than Mcgrady?

ooohh, I dunno about that....
I take Hill. Better mentally if nothing else. More fundamentals, more of a leader. I'm not sure Tmac is a top 5 player where Hill easily was.
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
9/22/2004  12:52 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

but if he gets 30+ minutes --hes going to average 13 points 11 rebounds 3 blocks 4 assits

You do realize that you are predicting him to have a better or equal rebounding and shot blocking season than...

Jermaine O'Neal
Marcus Camby
Shaq
Yao
Rasheed
Amare
Maglore

...and countless others in 04-05.

He is a good kid that I expect to work hard. I don't think he will be able to stay onthe floor for the 30+ minutes you are saying he needs to meet his stats because of foul trouble.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
MS
Member: #724
9/22/2004  1:01 PM
Getting Francis is almost enough for McGrady. Nope not a chance, the deal is alright for the Magic, they gave away two solid starter Howard and McGrady...

They should have done the deal with the Suns but didn't, and they should have tried a deal with the Clippers for Q, and a pick, but they didn't.

Howard is going to make a tough first year transition, but works hard, so they got one great building block, and another that slipped under the radar...Jameer Nelson, thank the Miami Heat.

But the Magic are no underated at all they are going to be playing for a spot in the 7-10 range...
fishmike
USA
9/22/2004  1:03 PM
numbers schumbers... I hear Briggs. I think his point is just that he will be an impact player, at least on one side of the ball.

I cant argue with any of the points really. Not only did Orl get better in a ton of ways, but they werent as bad as their record last year in the first place.

I hope they do... I hate a lot of lousy teams. It makes for lousy games. When you play better teams every night you become better. I have no doubt the Knicks can compete w/ anyone if they are healthy. They wont win a title but they can be good enough scoring and on the boards to be in every game.
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
9/22/2004  1:08 PM
Posted by Andrew:

...and countless others in 04-05.

Sorry...I meant 03-04.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
BRIGGS
9/22/2004  1:28 PM
i think so--as long as he gets the minutes. hes just to big and athletic not to be an immediate impact shot blocker and rebounder. you have to watch this guy play. I dont think that 13 points 11 rebounds 3 blocks is something out of reach for Dwight. Look at the history of what you would call franchise players taken at number 1 and their stats. This guy is a freak of nature--
RIP Crushalot😞
The biggest surprise team in the NBA will be Orlando

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy