[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pass On Zion
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
2/18/2019  5:36 PM
Charles Barkley was outstanding. But he never led a team to win a ring.

The hype that precedes him will be so intense, and the New York expectations so high, he can only fail.

Alternate direction: trust the process can last another three years. The next component should be 6’10 with the handles of rod strickland, shot of Bob McAdoo and the hops of a gazelle

Patience

once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
Welpee
Member: #6239

2/18/2019  5:39 PM
misterearl wrote:Charles Barkley was outstanding. But he never led a team to win a ring.

The hype that precedes him will be so intense, and the New York expectations so high, he can only fail.

Alternate direction: trust the process can last another three years. The next component should be 6’10 with the handles of rod strickland, shot of Bob McAdoo and the hops of a gazelle

Patience

Gotta admit, I'm not seeing what other folks are seeing in Zion. He may end up being good but I'm not seeing a franchise caliber player.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/18/2019  5:47 PM
He is not a finished product by any stretch. Of course he won’t be the Juggernut he is in college, but then won’t he still get stronger?
Barley didn’t win a ring? Should we have passed on Ewing? Stockton and Malone?
Sambakick
Member: #5646

2/18/2019  5:53 PM
Turn down Zion if we get the #1 pick?

Turn down for who?

Turn down for what?!

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
misterearl
USA
2/18/2019  6:17 PM
Nalod wrote:He is not a finished product by any stretch. Of course he won’t be the Juggernut he is in college, but then won’t he still get stronger?

This ain’t a Mr America contest.

The Zion skill set does not translate into the NBA where he will attempt to dunk on grown ass men.

The Knicks front court will need to match up with the seven foot new school like Antetekoumbo, The Brow and Durant.
We need shooters who can fill it.

Even Patrick Ewing needed help. Exactly my point.

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
2/18/2019  6:17 PM
You get the #1 pick, you hail heavens and start planning.

Option 1: Pick Zion. No brainer. There are red flags, but there is potential franchise player along with winning attitude.

Option 2: Trade the pick ONLY for the second pick if that gets you another future pick. Why? Because Barrett might also be the truth and could end up being the best player in the draft when the hype dies and the dust settles.

No Anthony Davis, please. Even if we get Durant and a second star, we still should keep the future in sight so our pick in this draft is crucial.

Knicks_Fan
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/18/2019  6:29 PM
If we get the #1 pick then you need to pick zion. Getting anybody close to barkley is a god send
blkexec
Member: #748
2/18/2019  6:39 PM
Knicksfan wrote:You get the #1 pick, you hail heavens and start planning.

Option 1: Pick Zion. No brainer. There are red flags, but there is potential franchise player along with winning attitude.

Option 2: Trade the pick ONLY for the second pick if that gets you another future pick. Why? Because Barrett might also be the truth and could end up being the best player in the draft when the hype dies and the dust settles.

No Anthony Davis, please. Even if we get Durant and a second star, we still should keep the future in sight so our pick in this draft is crucial.

I like option 2.....i have a feeling that zion will not be the best player in this draft. Hes the safest pick but Barrett or that PG could be a better pro. But to zions credit, hes a better prospect than Barkley at this age. More shooting skills and defensive instincts, which is something you cant teach. This is a situation where im happy either way. But i look at boston and how they turned the #1 pick into more picks and later picked 3rd who happens to be the best pick of the draft in Tatum. I want some of that luck.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/18/2019  7:18 PM
misterearl wrote:Charles Barkley was outstanding. But he never led a team to win a ring.

Patience

didn’t we just trade the 7’3” version to dallas?

ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
2/18/2019  7:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/18/2019  7:33 PM
Earl, you are one of the posters who I really enjoy on this forum. Once again your words have merit and wisdom. Let us all take a breather and consider which BIG MAN were the championship centerpiece on title teams "recently". The only players that come to mind are Olajuwon, Shaq, Dunkin and then Nowitzki. For a while now it has been clear as day that backcourt players win titles nowadays and thats the direction. Durant and Lebron are backcourt players even at their height. The writing is on the wall. Sir Charles failing to win it all might not be the strongest point there, same for Ewing. Not being able to run an effective offense in todays NBA through a traditional orthodox big man IS that strong point however.
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
2/18/2019  7:29 PM
Marv wrote:

Patience

We sure did. But he wasn't ours to keep anyway, according to his brother. Its like dumping a chick who is not marriage material anyway. She has all the goods but you just know its gonna be bad because she is under complete control of her mother who is crazy and tells her everyday how much of a loser you are and how it would be better for her to dump you.. Yes, Janis is the mother in law in this analogy. Saves both parties the time and gives both a better chance of finding "the one"
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/18/2019  7:40 PM
ramtour420 wrote:
Marv wrote:

Patience

We sure did. But he wasn't ours to keep anyway, according to his brother. Its like dumping a chick who is not marriage material anyway. She has all the goods but you just know its gonna be bad because she is under complete control of her mother who is crazy and tells her everyday how much of a loser you are and how it would be better for her to dump you.. Yes, Janis is the mother in law in this analogy. Saves both parties the time and gives both a better chance of finding "the one"

thanks. I needed that.

triplethreat has us all thinking more clearly these days.

Nalod
USA
2/18/2019  7:47 PM
misterearl wrote:
Nalod wrote:He is not a finished product by any stretch. Of course he won’t be the Juggernut he is in college, but then won’t he still get stronger?

This ain’t a Mr America contest.

The Zion skill set does not translate into the NBA where he will attempt to dunk on grown ass men.

The Knicks front court will need to match up with the seven foot new school like Antetekoumbo, The Brow and Durant.
We need shooters who can fill it.

Even Patrick Ewing needed help. Exactly my point.

We build with him, not around him. I don’t see a messiah in this draft.

VCoug
Member: #1406

2/18/2019  7:57 PM

Patience

Yeah, the last thing I would want out of this draft is a top 25 player of all time and a future league MVP. BTW, you don't say what we should do instead of drafting Zion.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/18/2019  9:08 PM
That Zion/Mitch Frontline defense could be worth it alone. Both of them can cover out to the 3.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/18/2019  10:29 PM
Welpee wrote:

Patience

Gotta admit, I'm not seeing what other folks are seeing in Zion. He may end up being good but I'm not seeing a franchise caliber player.

Not every first overall pick is a franchise player. For every Time Duncan there is a Kenyon Martin. That said, the #1 overall pick usually is the closest thing to an NBA caliber coming in then any other player coming in. Will he be LeBron? Probably not. But is he the safest bet to be a high level contributor in this draft class? Yeah.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/18/2019  10:36 PM

Patience

Barkley came pretty close to a title in Phoenix. Probably would have won one if Dumas stayed off the nose candy. This doesn't just apply to Zion, but every player: It's a team effort. One player can't do it alone.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
USA
2/18/2019  10:57 PM
Marv wrote:

Patience

Mr Earl described the Unicorn. They are still “Fable”!

misterearl
USA
2/18/2019  11:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/18/2019  11:15 PM
ramtour420 wrote:Earl, you are one of the posters who I really enjoy on this forum. Once again your words have merit and wisdom. Let us all take a breather and consider which BIG MAN were the championship centerpiece on title teams "recently". The only players that come to mind are Olajuwon, Shaq, Dunkin and then Nowitzki. For a while now it has been clear as day that backcourt players win titles nowadays and thats the direction. Durant and Lebron are backcourt players even at their height. The writing is on the wall. Sir Charles failing to win it all might not be the strongest point there, same for Ewing. Not being able to run an effective offense in todays NBA through a traditional orthodox big man IS that strong point however.

ramtour - Thank you for the kind words.

For me it is more a situational feeling. Not every player is built for New York. A college sophomore in the big city, with the weight of a franchise being the first player selected, just feels like a heavy load to drop on him.

There were no saviors on the 1969 or 1973 championship teams.
Constructed with deliberate care. DeBusschere was no savior, but he was the straw (via his veteran presence) that stirred the drink.
They were greater than the sum of their parts.

Take it slow.

fwk00
Member: #6048

2/18/2019  11:36 PM
misterearl wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:Earl, you are one of the posters who I really enjoy on this forum. Once again your words have merit and wisdom. Let us all take a breather and consider which BIG MAN were the championship centerpiece on title teams "recently". The only players that come to mind are Olajuwon, Shaq, Dunkin and then Nowitzki. For a while now it has been clear as day that backcourt players win titles nowadays and thats the direction. Durant and Lebron are backcourt players even at their height. The writing is on the wall. Sir Charles failing to win it all might not be the strongest point there, same for Ewing. Not being able to run an effective offense in todays NBA through a traditional orthodox big man IS that strong point however.

ramtour - Thank you for the kind words.

For me it is more a situational feeling. Not every player is built for New York. A college sophomore in the big city, with the weight of a franchise being the first player selected, just feels like a heavy load to drop on him.

There were no saviors on the 1969 or 1973 championship teams.
Constructed with deliberate care. DeBusschere was no savior, but he was the straw (via his veteran presence) that stirred the drink.
They were greater than the sum of their parts.

Take it slow.

Good advice. Number one picks come in a number of flavors, one a franchise player, two a player, three a bust. Many more busts than example one or two.

I'm ambivalent on Zion. The Knicks in recent years (Phil years) have done well picking later in the pack. I'm anxious post-Phil to see what transpires.

Pass On Zion

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy