[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Can't trade Mitch for AD
Author Thread
MooK
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3320

2/15/2019  7:32 PM
If Perry can actually pull off signing KD and Kyrie this summer then we know there's a strong chance the rest of the chips are put on the table for AD. Not really feeling that move myself because I think Mitch is already becoming an impact player. Yeah AD is still superior but to give up Mitch plus everything else it'll take I ain't tryna do it. I wanna keep the assets and the depth. I'd still sign some ring chasing vets and then look to use my assets to make smaller trades that give the roster more balance.
AUTOADVERT
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
2/15/2019  8:28 PM
Agree - I think Mitch has shown the most potential of our young guys and should not be involved in any trade. We need low cost guys to round out the max free agent roster anyway so better to keep young potential guys then sign vets to minimum deals.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/15/2019  9:19 PM
AD will be a laker most likely. And to be honest the cost would be insane. Mitch would just be a small piece of the package we would have to give up. I feel we got a steal with Mitch so im not trading him
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

2/15/2019  9:29 PM
I love Mitch but this reminds me when we were anointing Landry Fields the next John Havlicek. Let's see where we are in a few years, and in the meantime, if we can get AD for a reasonable package that includes Mitch, you do that 10 times out of 10. Though the Pels are not going to settle for reasonable, and the Celts are going to sell the farm.
The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
nyk2017
Member: #7538

2/15/2019  11:10 PM
Kyrie and KD will take up most of the cap space. To add AD afterwards would mean trading everyone else. I mean everyone. SMith Jr, Mitch, Frank, Trier, 1st rnd pick, Knox, DOtson just to make the finances work. Impossible to have 3 superstars unless they are obtained in the draft.
Caseloads
Member: #41
2/16/2019  12:34 AM
Trade them all.
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/16/2019  4:01 AM
I'm worried a trade for AD would turn out like the Antonio McDyess trade all over again. Risk wise, I'd rather keep Knox, this years pick and Mitch (and everything else we'd otherwise have to sacrifice) because there's a high chance at least one of those players will fulfil their potential, where as with AD (while he might be a sure thing now), he's a huge injury risk- one major injury and it's game over for us. Imagine trading for him, then AD gets injured, then having to watch Knox/Mitch/whoever got drafted, flourish, then also see the Pelicans land a top pick with the Mavs unprotected.
fwk00
Member: #6048

2/16/2019  10:34 AM
This is such a thorny issue.

On one hand, we have a number of players that we have paid dues on this year and last who, next year, should be emerging stars. This includes Mitch, Dotson, Frankie, Knox, Vonleh, and a few others. One possible trajectory is to hang onto all or the majority of them and simply augment that squad with whoever we pick-up in the draft and whoever we can sign during the summer. In this scenario I'm not necessarily suggesting starphuck signings, just rock solid pros whose contracts remain tradeable over time should one of the kiddie corp prove the better option.

On the other hand, there is the irresistible impulse to swing for the fences and trade a significant number of young assets for the current crop of available high-priced talent. If, in fact, more than one of these "stars" could be traded for or signed then the Knicks are at least players in the playoffs and so on. It would be naive to think that anyone on the current roster would be untouchable to trade.

Given the off-season war chest, my guess is that the Knicks will follow the latter trajectory. And its one, the Knicks have been burned on time and time again. I think we all hold our breath to see how brilliantly or tragically this plays out.

I think the fix is in with AD - he's being gift-wrapped for Lebron in LA. And this is both obscene and unfortunate for the league and the game. I think the Knicks have the assets to compete with both LA and Boston in terms of fair value but I doubt it matters.

It may be a mixed blessing. It could mean that we hang onto our kiddie corp in one form or another. If we try buying into a team this summer with FA signings then these players still face being traded for rotation players to supplement whoever is signed.

I know it won't play out this way, but my druther is that the Knicks stick to the former trajectory - stay with the kids, they won't win tomorrow but they will pick up steam next year and will start to compete a few years out which may be just as soon as anything the Knicks do in the near future will blossom anyway.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/16/2019  10:41 AM
fwk00 wrote:This is such a thorny issue.

On one hand, we have a number of players that we have paid dues on this year and last who, next year, should be emerging stars. This includes Mitch, Dotson, Frankie, Knox, Vonleh, and a few others. One possible trajectory is to hang onto all or the majority of them and simply augment that squad with whoever we pick-up in the draft and whoever we can sign during the summer. In this scenario I'm not necessarily suggesting starphuck signings, just rock solid pros whose contracts remain tradeable over time should one of the kiddie corp prove the better option.

On the other hand, there is the irresistible impulse to swing for the fences and trade a significant number of young assets for the current crop of available high-priced talent. If, in fact, more than one of these "stars" could be traded for or signed then the Knicks are at least players in the playoffs and so on. It would be naive to think that anyone on the current roster would be untouchable to trade.

Given the off-season war chest, my guess is that the Knicks will follow the latter trajectory. And its one, the Knicks have been burned on time and time again. I think we all hold our breath to see how brilliantly or tragically this plays out.

I think the fix is in with AD - he's being gift-wrapped for Lebron in LA. And this is both obscene and unfortunate for the league and the game. I think the Knicks have the assets to compete with both LA and Boston in terms of fair value but I doubt it matters.

It may be a mixed blessing. It could mean that we hang onto our kiddie corp in one form or another. If we try buying into a team this summer with FA signings then these players still face being traded for rotation players to supplement whoever is signed.

I know it won't play out this way, but my druther is that the Knicks stick to the former trajectory - stay with the kids, they won't win tomorrow but they will pick up steam next year and will start to compete a few years out which may be just as soon as anything the Knicks do in the near future will blossom anyway.

My guess is if the Knicks sign KD the commitment to the youth movement is done and the young guys become pieces to bring in vets. I don't think AD is going to the Lakers unless that was why Demps was fired. If the Knicks get KD and Kyrie I think there is a good chance that they put together an AD package. If the Celtics trade Tatum for AD I think Kyrie stays in Boston.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
2/22/2019  11:45 AM
This season Mitch Rob is tied for third in the league in blocks at 2.1 per game. All while playing only 18 minutes per game
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Cartman718
Member: #1694

2/22/2019  12:22 PM
ramtour420 wrote:This season Mitch Rob is tied for third in the league in blocks at 2.1 per game. All while playing only 18 minutes per game
Can you imagine Zion and him jumping toward a perimeter defender and blocking shots at 13-17 ft in the air
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/22/2019  12:32 PM
This year has been very educational from an NBA contract economics standpoint. Just a few years ago, the cap increased dramatically and the max contract went sky high, but I think we'll be going through a market adjustment; I think MLB is going through it now where sub-30 premium FAs are having a hard time getting super deals. Call it collusion or perhaps advanced analytics telling the cost hard facts that you need to be a very special player to be worthy of max.

Some similar awareness is happening in the NFL - where (if you're NOT the Patriots) there's an extreme premium drafting quality QBs and adding them to teams that are already stacked in other positions. Call it the Russell Wilson effect. Once the QB gets past the rookie contract, their cap hit on the 2nd contract becomes restrictive in holding on to a good team.

Here's a list of biggest contracts in the NBA this year:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html

11 are making $30m or more. (just off the list #11 Milsap and #12 Horford will crack $30m on the same contract).

In my judgement, Curry, Westbrook, James, Harden, and Durant are no-brainers on the list. They bring star power and are really that good. Chris Paul, fine, they had to overpay to get him to Houston - and he's a great winning player when he's healthy. And Paul George, fine, he's a great 2-way player and I think younger than anyone else I've mentioned to this point.

Then you get to players like Blake Griffin - outstanding player, but perhaps out of his era. Big men just don't seem to be that valuable at the moment in terms of winning. Gordon Hayward, well, he's massively underperformed his contract given his injury/slow return to form. Lowry? I can't even believe he's on this list. Mike Conley, the same.

I've stated this before, but Mitchell Robinson is basically the holy grail - as a 2nd round pick, he cost us close to nothing, his agent got duped into signing a long term affordable contract, so he's pretty much the best value in this draft class, perhaps the best trading chip in the entire NBA. Yes, there are 2 (Ayton, Doncic), maybe 3 (Young) better players in the class. But Robinson will make in 4 years basically what each of those lottery guys will make THIS SEASON alone.

I've actually begun to question whether even a player like Anthony Davis is worthy of a max contract. We can talk about his supporting cast, but they're not a .500 team. They had a nice run last season after Boogie got hurt, but I've wondering if Anthony Davis in the modern NBA is more of a #3 guy along the lines of Kevin Love on the Cavs.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/22/2019  2:09 PM
technomaster wrote:This year has been very educational from an NBA contract economics standpoint. Just a few years ago, the cap increased dramatically and the max contract went sky high, but I think we'll be going through a market adjustment; I think MLB is going through it now where sub-30 premium FAs are having a hard time getting super deals. Call it collusion or perhaps advanced analytics telling the cost hard facts that you need to be a very special player to be worthy of max.

Some similar awareness is happening in the NFL - where (if you're NOT the Patriots) there's an extreme premium drafting quality QBs and adding them to teams that are already stacked in other positions. Call it the Russell Wilson effect. Once the QB gets past the rookie contract, their cap hit on the 2nd contract becomes restrictive in holding on to a good team.

11 are making $30m or more. (just off the list #11 Milsap and #12 Horford will crack $30m on the same contract).

In my judgement, Curry, Westbrook, James, Harden, and Durant are no-brainers on the list. They bring star power and are really that good. Chris Paul, fine, they had to overpay to get him to Houston - and he's a great winning player when he's healthy. And Paul George, fine, he's a great 2-way player and I think younger than anyone else I've mentioned to this point.

Then you get to players like Blake Griffin - outstanding player, but perhaps out of his era. Big men just don't seem to be that valuable at the moment in terms of winning. Gordon Hayward, well, he's massively underperformed his contract given his injury/slow return to form. Lowry? I can't even believe he's on this list. Mike Conley, the same.

I've stated this before, but Mitchell Robinson is basically the holy grail - as a 2nd round pick, he cost us close to nothing, his agent got duped into signing a long term affordable contract, so he's pretty much the best value in this draft class, perhaps the best trading chip in the entire NBA. Yes, there are 2 (Ayton, Doncic), maybe 3 (Young) better players in the class. But Robinson will make in 4 years basically what each of those lottery guys will make THIS SEASON alone.

I've actually begun to question whether even a player like Anthony Davis is worthy of a max contract. We can talk about his supporting cast, but they're not a .500 team. They had a nice run last season after Boogie got hurt, but I've wondering if Anthony Davis in the modern NBA is more of a #3 guy along the lines of Kevin Love on the Cavs.

Hard to disagree on most of your observations.
However AD have to be it the best of the best list, so is Giannis and Embiid, Jokic and Kawhi.
I think about 10-15 players will always be worthy the max any given year.
Teams who manages to draft them or get them in trades early in their development will get the goods and will be able to afford them.
There are 30 teams in NBA and still not enough talent to have more that a half of them competitive.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

2/22/2019  3:47 PM
technomaster wrote:This year has been very educational from an NBA contract economics standpoint. Just a few years ago, the cap increased dramatically and the max contract went sky high, but I think we'll be going through a market adjustment; I think MLB is going through it now where sub-30 premium FAs are having a hard time getting super deals. Call it collusion or perhaps advanced analytics telling the cost hard facts that you need to be a very special player to be worthy of max.

Excellent analysis.

There is a prevailing argument for a "Franchise Max" player Versus a "Market Max" player

A Franchise Max guy is automatically implied as a Market Max guy. ( i.e. a Durant or Curry or LBJ, a guy who can push you into true contention but is also marketable enough to drive your ticket sales/branding/advertising/etc)

A Market Max guy is more akin to young Blake Griffin ( biracial to suit multiple demographics, plays way above the rim, highlight reel player, was in a large market, easy to sell on national TV broadcasts, easier to sell merchandise but a player who is not going to drive you into contention alone or even with their massive cap hold tradeoff)

You are likely the first person here to point out openly that if the money doesn't work ( if the cap situation doesn't add up given the current market climate) then the team has lost before it's even played a game to start the season. The money has to work.

Excellent. I look forward to seeing you post more.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/25/2019  12:02 PM
Bump

Dont trade our future away for Davis. Mitch's nickname should be "plug n' play" he fits in so well with his teammates.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/25/2019  12:06 PM
Mitch!
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/25/2019  12:24 PM
While Im onboard with not trading for AD. The value of this kid has to be rising so it could mean as easier path via trade. We have room to sign two free agents. We'd need to trade salary to fit him in.
Im more intrigued with the future with our kids than AD whom I think is awesome. I just don't want to pay full retail.

The time line this summer that trades are done after free agency opens up? Boston can move Tatum and some but does the plan include keeping Kyrie? Horford? Haywood? Gordo has a 15% trade kicker. Can't see him in NOLA, but elsewhere perhaps? Its not good business to trade free agents even two years after the fact.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/25/2019  1:36 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Bump

Dont trade our future away for Davis. Mitch's nickname should be "plug n' play" he fits in so well with his teammates.

To make the salary and assets work. Knicks would/could deal Zion, DSjr, Frank, Knox & Trier. If Kyrie and Durant are signed then they replace the need for DSjr and Knox. While Frank and Trier obviously aren't close to ADs level. The question becomes giving up Zion as well. To add Mitch to that list imo I would dead any calls. Would have to be an either or in terms of Zion or Mitch but I wouldn't do both.

I don't even know if I would add in a future draft pick on top of that deal. But that's the beauty of having the assets and cap space and dealing from a position of strength.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
2/25/2019  2:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/25/2019  2:10 PM
If we sign KD and Kyrie, I agree that I would not trade everything for AD. We could sign those two and keep our draft pick, and have Knox and Mitchell and Dennis Smith. Our team would be stacked. Yeah, Knox and Mitchell probably need another year of seasoning but we would make it to the playoffs next year and then take the whole thing in 2021, and we would still have all our draft picks, plus Dallas's picks. Also, there is always going to be some else we can get on the cheap. I say keep our assets. AD might come for free that following year. Trading for AD would be like the mistake we made trading for Melo.
Trust the Process
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/25/2019  3:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/25/2019  3:23 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Bump

To make the salary and assets work. Knicks would/could deal Zion, DSjr, Frank, Knox & Trier. If Kyrie and Durant are signed then they replace the need for DSjr and Knox. While Frank and Trier obviously aren't close to ADs level. The question becomes giving up Zion as well. To add Mitch to that list imo I would dead any calls. Would have to be an either or in terms of Zion or Mitch but I wouldn't do both.

I don't even know if I would add in a future draft pick on top of that deal. But that's the beauty of having the assets and cap space and dealing from a position of strength.

Dont want to see the Knicks give up the players you cited for any max player. Especially Zion
We have 2 max slots, Knicks should sign the best players to compliment the youth movement, not put it on the backburner again.

Will be accused of overrating the talent on the roster, compared to the prospect of having elite options, at the same position. Fair enough.

My concern are long term contracts for players who have trouble staying healthy. This franchise has been kicked you know where over the decades, with long term, expensive, deals. Deals that fans kept counting down, because said player was always hurt and almost untradeable.

If Mitch Trier, Knox, Dsjr among others, werent showing that they have real skills, Id be more willing to take a shot with an AD, or a Kyrie. Dont want to max out a PG, if Smith proves he can be the man.

We have a decent chance to get Zion or Barett. Hope Perry/Mills puts taking on 2 max salaries on the backburner, if we draft one of them. Next thing, we start trading away youth for veteran role players for the yearly playoff push. Bye-bye youth movement. Hope the max players stay healthy.

Would rather just add Durant, or one other max player like Thompson. If a max contract is to be given out. See if the team can make the playoffs. See if the younger players like Mitch, Trier, Dsjr, etc show they can be long term building blocks. Make gradual adjustments instead of going all in over the summer, just to make a splash.

Was glad to hear that Perry/Mills are not locked into signing 2 max players this summer either, from interviews.

Can't trade Mitch for AD

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy