[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kudo’s to Mills & Perry
Author Thread
Nalod
Posts: 56802
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
2/10/2019  11:26 AM
When KP missed his exit meeting we assumed Our coach was being a dick, Melo was the “MalContent Whisperer” and it was not a good move, we sort of were kool with KP. The bike ride publicity thing he did on the upper west side the next deal was a telling sign. KP was immature.

We got rid of PHil and exiled Melo. Bought in a new GM to solidify the FO as it should be. The president is the financial guy and the GM sweats the players details and both work to right the franchise.

We gave KP the keys to the franchise. Coach Hornacek was likely told to build on the Latvian God and all was good. Team was over .500, Rookie Frank was young but we could see the promise. KP was an all star leading the team to 4 games over .500 about 30 games in. Then he fatigued and that can bring injury. Then the unthinkable.
KP instead of being depressed looks to create a documentary and then bolts to Spain. Knicks offer him financial security with some injury caveats like Embiid got. He passed, we to 10mil more in cap space and it all sounded good.
Booker has not lead PHX like a superstar (yet) and Markkennnannennnn has basically lost his season to injury.

Hindisight is wonderful. Jax for all his insanity was spot on instinctively regarding KP’s health and wanting to jump on a trade. I did not agree with that as my hopes were this kid was special. He might be on the court still, but off it I remain perplexed. He is no god. Mooby was a false prophet. Nalod starphuched his hopes on KP.

Now that was are seeing what happened and are “Woke”, my opinion this current front office did mostly act reasonable and could do little else to make him happy. KP’s antics since the first of the year was to devalue himself making it easier to trade to his preferred landing spot. Mills and Perry were ahead of Janis and him. No doubt it would have been better to send him to Detroit or CLeveland but KP even if it was not on his list landed in a good situation in Dallas. Cube is a smart owner and I think will make it work. While “Good riddance” and any KP failure makes us look better the real test of time is how we fair. I don’t care about Dallas. Yes, If KP becomes what we had hoped it will hurt.

The future will no doubt resolve the final grade. We had fans here lambasting the franchise and accusing them of being inept on this issue as it has been over many admisnistrations before them. Even Dolan was blamed. IN a few short days in retrospect my hopes for this admin was never based on its past, but for its future. Its calming to hire someone from the SAS tree and be patient but not when you have Mills (former MSG Pres before coming back) and Dolan lurking. Perry has a good reputation but was never top dog at a franchise and was assistant to Orlando idiot.
In this case it appears we were decisive and made the right call. WE cut down KP before he could some how gain more leverage at the teams future expense.

I transfer my hope to DSjr and all our FizKids. The chance at Zion and Barret all with Big historical cap space. 7 no. 1 picks in 5 years. Big changes are still coming! The chess game will continue.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/10/porzingis-depreciating-value-left-dallas-deal-as-knicks-top-option/

You don't show a fool a job half done!
AUTOADVERT
ekstarks94
Posts: 20651
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/5/2015
Member: #6104

2/10/2019  11:33 AM
Nalod wrote:When KP missed his exit meeting we assumed Our coach was being a dick, Melo was the “MalContent Whisperer” and it was not a good move, we sort of were kool with KP. The bike ride publicity thing he did on the upper west side the next deal was a telling sign. KP was immature.

We got rid of PHil and exiled Melo. Bought in a new GM to solidify the FO as it should be. The president is the financial guy and the GM sweats the players details and both work to right the franchise.

We gave KP the keys to the franchise. Coach Hornacek was likely told to build on the Latvian God and all was good. Team was over .500, Rookie Frank was young but we could see the promise. KP was an all star leading the team to 4 games over .500 about 30 games in. Then he fatigued and that can bring injury. Then the unthinkable.
KP instead of being depressed looks to create a documentary and then bolts to Spain. Knicks offer him financial security with some injury caveats like Embiid got. He passed, we to 10mil more in cap space and it all sounded good.
Booker has not lead PHX like a superstar (yet) and Markkennnannennnn has basically lost his season to injury.

Hindisight is wonderful. Jax for all his insanity was spot on instinctively regarding KP’s health and wanting to jump on a trade. I did not agree with that as my hopes were this kid was special. He might be on the court still, but off it I remain perplexed. He is no god. Mooby was a false prophet. Nalod starphuched his hopes on KP.

Now that was are seeing what happened and are “Woke”, my opinion this current front office did mostly act reasonable and could do little else to make him happy. KP’s antics since the first of the year was to devalue himself making it easier to trade to his preferred landing spot. Mills and Perry were ahead of Janis and him. No doubt it would have been better to send him to Detroit or CLeveland but KP even if it was not on his list landed in a good situation in Dallas. Cube is a smart owner and I think will make it work. While “Good riddance” and any KP failure makes us look better the real test of time is how we fair. I don’t care about Dallas. Yes, If KP becomes what we had hoped it will hurt.

The future will no doubt resolve the final grade. We had fans here lambasting the franchise and accusing them of being inept on this issue as it has been over many admisnistrations before them. Even Dolan was blamed. IN a few short days in retrospect my hopes for this admin was never based on its past, but for its future. Its calming to hire someone from the SAS tree and be patient but not when you have Mills (former MSG Pres before coming back) and Dolan lurking. Perry has a good reputation but was never top dog at a franchise and was assistant to Orlando idiot.
In this case it appears we were decisive and made the right call. WE cut down KP before he could some how gain more leverage at the teams future expense.

I transfer my hope to DSjr and all our FizKids. The chance at Zion and Barret all with Big historical cap space. 7 no. 1 picks in 5 years. Big changes are still coming! The chess game will continue.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/10/porzingis-depreciating-value-left-dallas-deal-as-knicks-top-option/

Great post..

Funny thing is that if Phil had projected more stability in the FO although trading KP would have been an unpopular move...Phil would have had the cred to withstand the public criticism and trading him would not have been viewed as sacrilegious..

Vmart
Posts: 30874
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 5/23/2002
Member: #247
USA
2/10/2019  11:45 AM
ekstarks94 wrote:
Nalod wrote:When KP missed his exit meeting we assumed Our coach was being a dick, Melo was the “MalContent Whisperer” and it was not a good move, we sort of were kool with KP. The bike ride publicity thing he did on the upper west side the next deal was a telling sign. KP was immature.

We got rid of PHil and exiled Melo. Bought in a new GM to solidify the FO as it should be. The president is the financial guy and the GM sweats the players details and both work to right the franchise.

We gave KP the keys to the franchise. Coach Hornacek was likely told to build on the Latvian God and all was good. Team was over .500, Rookie Frank was young but we could see the promise. KP was an all star leading the team to 4 games over .500 about 30 games in. Then he fatigued and that can bring injury. Then the unthinkable.
KP instead of being depressed looks to create a documentary and then bolts to Spain. Knicks offer him financial security with some injury caveats like Embiid got. He passed, we to 10mil more in cap space and it all sounded good.
Booker has not lead PHX like a superstar (yet) and Markkennnannennnn has basically lost his season to injury.

Hindisight is wonderful. Jax for all his insanity was spot on instinctively regarding KP’s health and wanting to jump on a trade. I did not agree with that as my hopes were this kid was special. He might be on the court still, but off it I remain perplexed. He is no god. Mooby was a false prophet. Nalod starphuched his hopes on KP.

Now that was are seeing what happened and are “Woke”, my opinion this current front office did mostly act reasonable and could do little else to make him happy. KP’s antics since the first of the year was to devalue himself making it easier to trade to his preferred landing spot. Mills and Perry were ahead of Janis and him. No doubt it would have been better to send him to Detroit or CLeveland but KP even if it was not on his list landed in a good situation in Dallas. Cube is a smart owner and I think will make it work. While “Good riddance” and any KP failure makes us look better the real test of time is how we fair. I don’t care about Dallas. Yes, If KP becomes what we had hoped it will hurt.

The future will no doubt resolve the final grade. We had fans here lambasting the franchise and accusing them of being inept on this issue as it has been over many admisnistrations before them. Even Dolan was blamed. IN a few short days in retrospect my hopes for this admin was never based on its past, but for its future. Its calming to hire someone from the SAS tree and be patient but not when you have Mills (former MSG Pres before coming back) and Dolan lurking. Perry has a good reputation but was never top dog at a franchise and was assistant to Orlando idiot.
In this case it appears we were decisive and made the right call. WE cut down KP before he could some how gain more leverage at the teams future expense.

I transfer my hope to DSjr and all our FizKids. The chance at Zion and Barret all with Big historical cap space. 7 no. 1 picks in 5 years. Big changes are still coming! The chess game will continue.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/10/porzingis-depreciating-value-left-dallas-deal-as-knicks-top-option/

Great post..

Funny thing is that if Phil had projected more stability in the FO although trading KP would have been an unpopular move...Phil would have had the cred to withstand the public criticism and trading him would not have been viewed as sacrilegious..

Public criticism is what got Phil fired. So he was never Teflon Don. ESPN and their cronies lead a massive lynch mob. While Phil made some poor decisions you can say all the previous GMs and even this current GM all have red on their ledger.

Phil got a raw deal.

Uptown
Posts: 27450
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 4/1/2008
Member: #1883

2/10/2019  11:53 AM
Gotta be in it to win it...before the KP trade, we didn't have enough space to sign Durant to a max. Now we have space for Durant and a friend. Thoughts of Signing KP to a max contract next year was scary, and possibly locking us into mediocrity (chasing 8th and 7th seeds for the next few years while praying that KP remains healthy)...KP and bro offered an ultimatum and Perry was already two steps ahead.

Looking back at our roster, when were burdened with Courtney Lee, Melo and Noah's unmovable contracts, who would have ever thought that a few years later we have opened up the most cap space in the history of the league!! Mos Def Kudos to Mills and Perry!!

“It’s much more about the perception of the organization,” Fizdale said. “What I think we’ve done together with Steve [Mills] and Scott [Perry], Mr. Dolan and myself an
newyorknewyork
Posts: 28274
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 1/16/2004
Member: #541
2/10/2019  12:22 PM
Vmart wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
Nalod wrote:When KP missed his exit meeting we assumed Our coach was being a dick, Melo was the “MalContent Whisperer” and it was not a good move, we sort of were kool with KP. The bike ride publicity thing he did on the upper west side the next deal was a telling sign. KP was immature.

We got rid of PHil and exiled Melo. Bought in a new GM to solidify the FO as it should be. The president is the financial guy and the GM sweats the players details and both work to right the franchise.

We gave KP the keys to the franchise. Coach Hornacek was likely told to build on the Latvian God and all was good. Team was over .500, Rookie Frank was young but we could see the promise. KP was an all star leading the team to 4 games over .500 about 30 games in. Then he fatigued and that can bring injury. Then the unthinkable.
KP instead of being depressed looks to create a documentary and then bolts to Spain. Knicks offer him financial security with some injury caveats like Embiid got. He passed, we to 10mil more in cap space and it all sounded good.
Booker has not lead PHX like a superstar (yet) and Markkennnannennnn has basically lost his season to injury.

Hindisight is wonderful. Jax for all his insanity was spot on instinctively regarding KP’s health and wanting to jump on a trade. I did not agree with that as my hopes were this kid was special. He might be on the court still, but off it I remain perplexed. He is no god. Mooby was a false prophet. Nalod starphuched his hopes on KP.

Now that was are seeing what happened and are “Woke”, my opinion this current front office did mostly act reasonable and could do little else to make him happy. KP’s antics since the first of the year was to devalue himself making it easier to trade to his preferred landing spot. Mills and Perry were ahead of Janis and him. No doubt it would have been better to send him to Detroit or CLeveland but KP even if it was not on his list landed in a good situation in Dallas. Cube is a smart owner and I think will make it work. While “Good riddance” and any KP failure makes us look better the real test of time is how we fair. I don’t care about Dallas. Yes, If KP becomes what we had hoped it will hurt.

The future will no doubt resolve the final grade. We had fans here lambasting the franchise and accusing them of being inept on this issue as it has been over many admisnistrations before them. Even Dolan was blamed. IN a few short days in retrospect my hopes for this admin was never based on its past, but for its future. Its calming to hire someone from the SAS tree and be patient but not when you have Mills (former MSG Pres before coming back) and Dolan lurking. Perry has a good reputation but was never top dog at a franchise and was assistant to Orlando idiot.
In this case it appears we were decisive and made the right call. WE cut down KP before he could some how gain more leverage at the teams future expense.

I transfer my hope to DSjr and all our FizKids. The chance at Zion and Barret all with Big historical cap space. 7 no. 1 picks in 5 years. Big changes are still coming! The chess game will continue.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/10/porzingis-depreciating-value-left-dallas-deal-as-knicks-top-option/

Great post..

Funny thing is that if Phil had projected more stability in the FO although trading KP would have been an unpopular move...Phil would have had the cred to withstand the public criticism and trading him would not have been viewed as sacrilegious..

Public criticism is what got Phil fired. So he was never Teflon Don. ESPN and their cronies lead a massive lynch mob. While Phil made some poor decisions you can say all the previous GMs and even this current GM all have red on their ledger.

Phil got a raw deal.

While I would never understand wtf he was thinking with the Noah signing. He came into a situation where the Knicks had 1 first round draft pick over the next 3 seasons and were capped out until the following season with bad contracts. While also having to deal with an expiring Carmelo Anthony. Phil took the hit for the mistakes of the previous regime. But Phil's relationship with Melo and the media will make people hold a blind eye and pile all that on him. Politics.

He made some poor decisions but I hear on the radio by radio personalities all the time how he "set the team back 5 years" or some nonsense like that. I hear lazy false narratives on a daily basis. Like the drafting of Frank over Smith as it was only Phil who pushed for Frank while everyone else wanted Smith. But because Phil was a tyrant and the boss, he did what he wanted to do. Yet Phil confides in Gaines and Gaines is the one who pushed for him to draft KP. With KP being a hit there is no reason for Phil not to trust Gaines again.

With all that said Phil had to go, to much negative attention was being acquired. The politics of the situation. Phil would have had to made moves that immediately made the Knicks a quality team or he would get torn down. With a new GM time becomes afforded.

Phil left Mills enough cap space to sign a Hardaway level player, a valuable piece in KP, and all the picks going forward. On the negative side contracts of Melo, Noah, Lee. So while not clean a way better situation that what he came into. Phil's record was brought up against him during his tenure but as you can see that was just more politics. Perry imo has been doing an amazing job yet the losing records maintain which is why going by record just politics.

This trade now that the "truth has come out" shows Perry's chops. The fact he sensed KPs feelings based on his actions and was extremely pro active creating contingency plans with the stones to act swiftly. Highly impressive. The fact that he also has shown the patience with Frank's development. He has proven to be a strong big picture guy and not a band aid trying to keep and save my job type guy with style over substance.

mlby1215
Posts: 20295
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/16/2017
Member: #6486

2/10/2019  1:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/10/2019  1:20 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:While I would never understand wtf he was thinking with the Noah signing.

He wanted a center who could pass which is crucial for triangle offense, as the center is usually in the middle. It didn't work out, as Noah was injured. But not playing him on the second year was a real bad decision. It forced FO to buy him out as he didn't have a chance to show he at least could be a rotation player as he is now. Other centers with similar or worse contracts got traded but we just paid him in full to go away.

newyorknewyork wrote:He came into a situation where the Knicks had 1 first round draft pick over the next 3 seasons and were capped out until the following season with bad contracts. While also having to deal with an expiring Carmelo Anthony. Phil took the hit for the mistakes of the previous regime. But Phil's relationship with Melo and the media will make people hold a blind eye and pile all that on him. Politics.

Melo and Mills had a lot of friends in NY media. Looking back Melo should have been thankful that a legendary ex-coach once talked so highly of him. He is retiring now, as his pride will not allow him to be a bench player. People loved Melo and they really took it as Phil vs Melo, so they wanted to help.

At the end, who they really helped is Steve Mills.


newyorknewyork wrote:He made some poor decisions but I hear on the radio by radio personalities all the time how he "set the team back 5 years" or some nonsense like that. I hear lazy false narratives on a daily basis.

I start to understand in sporting, people really try too hard to be "knowledgeable". When it comes to bball, I admit I am just clueless. I don't know a ****. Many fans are like me, but few would admit it.

How could people hide their ignorance? Repeating what "experts" are telling you. Triangle is god, Triangle is ****. Phil is god, Phil is ****. They are all the same. At the time, Phil was **** so why don't I say the same? It means I get the same answer as those experts do!


newyorknewyork wrote:Like the drafting of Frank over Smith as it was only Phil who pushed for Frank while everyone else wanted Smith. But because Phil was a tyrant and the boss, he did what he wanted to do. Yet Phil confides in Gaines and Gaines is the one who pushed for him to draft KP. With KP being a hit there is no reason for Phil not to trust Gaines again.

Gaines is gone, and it is expected.


newyorknewyork wrote:With all that said Phil had to go, to much negative attention was being acquired. The politics of the situation. Phil would have had to made moves that immediately made the Knicks a quality team or he would get torn down. With a new GM time becomes afforded.

When he at least allowed Melo to be re-signed, everything is gone. Melo just wanted (and still wants) to play his brand of bball. He didn't intend to win at any cost. Winning was just a byproduct. Winning by his way of playing was his main thing.

newyorknewyork wrote:Phil left Mills enough cap space to sign a Hardaway level player, a valuable piece in KP, and all the picks going forward. On the negative side contracts of Melo, Noah, Lee. So while not clean a way better situation that what he came into. Phil's record was brought up against him during his tenure but as you can see that was just more politics. Perry imo has been doing an amazing job yet the losing records maintain which is why going by record just politics.

Lee was not negative at first but he was kept too long. Yes, it was all politics, and this is why NY media are very supportive of Mills now.

newyorknewyork wrote:This trade now that the "truth has come out" shows Perry's chops. The fact he sensed KPs feelings based on his actions and was extremely pro active creating contingency plans with the stones to act swiftly. Highly impressive. The fact that he also has shown the patience with Frank's development. He has proven to be a strong big picture guy and not a band aid trying to keep and save my job type guy with style over substance.

KP (and Janis) could have been tamed at the time, but we sided with Melo, right? We gave them the wrong msg. KP was a second year player and people worshipped him like he was Jesus. He was new to this country and he was new to his sudden fame. Like Melo, we actually ruined him.

ekstarks94
Posts: 20651
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/5/2015
Member: #6104

2/10/2019  1:23 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Vmart wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
Nalod wrote:When KP missed his exit meeting we assumed Our coach was being a dick, Melo was the “MalContent Whisperer” and it was not a good move, we sort of were kool with KP. The bike ride publicity thing he did on the upper west side the next deal was a telling sign. KP was immature.

We got rid of PHil and exiled Melo. Bought in a new GM to solidify the FO as it should be. The president is the financial guy and the GM sweats the players details and both work to right the franchise.

We gave KP the keys to the franchise. Coach Hornacek was likely told to build on the Latvian God and all was good. Team was over .500, Rookie Frank was young but we could see the promise. KP was an all star leading the team to 4 games over .500 about 30 games in. Then he fatigued and that can bring injury. Then the unthinkable.
KP instead of being depressed looks to create a documentary and then bolts to Spain. Knicks offer him financial security with some injury caveats like Embiid got. He passed, we to 10mil more in cap space and it all sounded good.
Booker has not lead PHX like a superstar (yet) and Markkennnannennnn has basically lost his season to injury.

Hindisight is wonderful. Jax for all his insanity was spot on instinctively regarding KP’s health and wanting to jump on a trade. I did not agree with that as my hopes were this kid was special. He might be on the court still, but off it I remain perplexed. He is no god. Mooby was a false prophet. Nalod starphuched his hopes on KP.

Now that was are seeing what happened and are “Woke”, my opinion this current front office did mostly act reasonable and could do little else to make him happy. KP’s antics since the first of the year was to devalue himself making it easier to trade to his preferred landing spot. Mills and Perry were ahead of Janis and him. No doubt it would have been better to send him to Detroit or CLeveland but KP even if it was not on his list landed in a good situation in Dallas. Cube is a smart owner and I think will make it work. While “Good riddance” and any KP failure makes us look better the real test of time is how we fair. I don’t care about Dallas. Yes, If KP becomes what we had hoped it will hurt.

The future will no doubt resolve the final grade. We had fans here lambasting the franchise and accusing them of being inept on this issue as it has been over many admisnistrations before them. Even Dolan was blamed. IN a few short days in retrospect my hopes for this admin was never based on its past, but for its future. Its calming to hire someone from the SAS tree and be patient but not when you have Mills (former MSG Pres before coming back) and Dolan lurking. Perry has a good reputation but was never top dog at a franchise and was assistant to Orlando idiot.
In this case it appears we were decisive and made the right call. WE cut down KP before he could some how gain more leverage at the teams future expense.

I transfer my hope to DSjr and all our FizKids. The chance at Zion and Barret all with Big historical cap space. 7 no. 1 picks in 5 years. Big changes are still coming! The chess game will continue.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/10/porzingis-depreciating-value-left-dallas-deal-as-knicks-top-option/

Great post..

Funny thing is that if Phil had projected more stability in the FO although trading KP would have been an unpopular move...Phil would have had the cred to withstand the public criticism and trading him would not have been viewed as sacrilegious..

Public criticism is what got Phil fired. So he was never Teflon Don. ESPN and their cronies lead a massive lynch mob. While Phil made some poor decisions you can say all the previous GMs and even this current GM all have red on their ledger.

Phil got a raw deal.

While I would never understand wtf he was thinking with the Noah signing. He came into a situation where the Knicks had 1 first round draft pick over the next 3 seasons and were capped out until the following season with bad contracts. While also having to deal with an expiring Carmelo Anthony. Phil took the hit for the mistakes of the previous regime. But Phil's relationship with Melo and the media will make people hold a blind eye and pile all that on him. Politics.

He made some poor decisions but I hear on the radio by radio personalities all the time how he "set the team back 5 years" or some nonsense like that. I hear lazy false narratives on a daily basis. Like the drafting of Frank over Smith as it was only Phil who pushed for Frank while everyone else wanted Smith. But because Phil was a tyrant and the boss, he did what he wanted to do. Yet Phil confides in Gaines and Gaines is the one who pushed for him to draft KP. With KP being a hit there is no reason for Phil not to trust Gaines again.

With all that said Phil had to go, to much negative attention was being acquired. The politics of the situation. Phil would have had to made moves that immediately made the Knicks a quality team or he would get torn down. With a new GM time becomes afforded.

Phil left Mills enough cap space to sign a Hardaway level player, a valuable piece in KP, and all the picks going forward. On the negative side contracts of Melo, Noah, Lee. So while not clean a way better situation that what he came into. Phil's record was brought up against him during his tenure but as you can see that was just more politics. Perry imo has been doing an amazing job yet the losing records maintain which is why going by record just politics.

This trade now that the "truth has come out" shows Perry's chops. The fact he sensed KPs feelings based on his actions and was extremely pro active creating contingency plans with the stones to act swiftly. Highly impressive. The fact that he also has shown the patience with Frank's development. He has proven to be a strong big picture guy and not a band aid trying to keep and save my job type guy with style over substance.

Agree...100% Perry is a ninja....because had it fully got out and had a chance to marinate that KP was returning back to Spain to rehab and wait for a trade...we would have gotten 25-50 cents on the dollar. H made a lightening quick move that looked as a hit the panic button move, but news started to trickle out it became clear. I feel good about the FO right now....and that is hard for me to believe given that we are 10-45, just traded our franchise player, etc, etc...but I think we are in a good spot right now. Free agency will be the next big test....whether we strike out or hit it big...."no more paying mediocre players as stars"...

Nalod
Posts: 56802
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
2/10/2019  6:08 PM
Im not attempting to revisit the whole Jax era, just relative to KP.
Knicks looked bad at first glance on this trade. In retrospect It sucks the way it fell out but I like the way it was handled buy our FO.
I thought perry handled Melo's exit very well. Perry seems to be doing a good job cleaning up shyt he did not create.
Its all his now going forward.
You don't show a fool a job half done!
GustavBahler
Posts: 35114
Alba Posts: 15
Joined: 7/12/2010
Member: #3186

2/10/2019  9:23 PM
Been reading about the deals for KP, while Phil was here. Have little or no confidence that Phil would have put in the work, the time and effort to not only find the best offer for KP, but to put in the time to properly consider what would be the best deal for the team, long term. Not like Perry has.
arkrud
Posts: 31477
Alba Posts: 7
Joined: 8/31/2005
Member: #995
USA
2/10/2019  10:59 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Been reading about the deals for KP, while Phil was here. Have little or no confidence that Phil would have put in the work, the time and effort to not only find the best offer for KP, but to put in the time to properly consider what would be the best deal for the team, long term. Not like Perry has.

Phil was immature GM and should never take the job he is not a professional in.
His ego get bugger that his Zen.
He was OK player who was on the right team at right time.
He was great coach who get best players at best time.
But any luck is running out so man should stay true to his philosophy.
Phil did not and get burned.
The rest is history.

He can teach them to meditate... but no one can control even his own mind...
franco12
Posts: 30312
Alba Posts: 4
Joined: 2/19/2004
Member: #599
USA
2/11/2019  9:34 AM
I'd like an apology here on the board from everyone who ever criticized me for broaching the topic of trading KP.

And to disagree with the sentiment in the article, I think the Knicks got as much value as was ever offered. Booker & a swap of picks, Celts bunch of picks would have been nice, but we netted DSjr, 2 picks and we cleared cap tremendously.

And we still have DeAndre Jordan who many of us have clamored for for years.

I don't think there was a better deal out there - I'd also commend our FO for making this move at the perfect time - they didn't wait for the summer, they didn't try to get a better deal. They acted at the best time.

SO AWESOME for once!

And it reinforces my belief that Fizdale is the best coach we've had since Riley.

I hope we can land the top pick and really get lucky for once - because having cap space isn't enough, and even if we land KD, he needs help and we need depth.

Nalod
Posts: 56802
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
2/11/2019  11:20 AM
arkrud wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Been reading about the deals for KP, while Phil was here. Have little or no confidence that Phil would have put in the work, the time and effort to not only find the best offer for KP, but to put in the time to properly consider what would be the best deal for the team, long term. Not like Perry has.

Phil was immature GM and should never take the job he is not a professional in.
His ego get bugger that his Zen.
He was OK player who was on the right team at right time.
He was great coach who get best players at best time.
But any luck is running out so man should stay true to his philosophy.
Phil did not and get burned.
The rest is history.

sorry, 11 rings is more than luck. Phil took over in Chicago and got Jordan to buy into the system.
Jordan was in the league 6 seasons before they won a chip. Sorry, it was a great marriage and PHil gets credit not for Jordans greatness, but for creating a platform for him to succeed. No coach ever won without great players. Kobe never won without Phil. And that Laker team was a challage. The talent was their, he got them to the next level.
Ask Utah, Portland and the Supersonics if they had great HOF talent too? They did, they did not have the chemistry.
Phil ego and limitations as GM/President in my opinion was he approached the job like a coach. In my opinion he handled wanting to trade KP as would a be a coach who could not get thru to a player.
One more time, Just my opinion. I read every phil book.
As a player in college he was a prolific scorer and rebounder but he had Debusscure and Cazzie in front of him. In his second year, 1970 he had back surgery. That ended many careers then but he came back and reinvented himself to stay in the league. He was intellectually vested in the great knick team and accepted mentorship from coach RED. That was a recipe for a great coach. Most of the great ones were not great players but found a way to stay in the league. Jerry Sloan was limited but he was tough. Pat Riley. Larry Brown, Pop, Kerr...... There is a list far longer of ex NBA or college non star players who became excellent coaches.
Phil like many great coaches was arrogant and close minded. They stuck to the success they know. Can't blame PHil for taking the gig. Ego and the money are good bedfellows!!!

You don't show a fool a job half done!
Nalod
Posts: 56802
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
2/11/2019  11:22 AM
franco12 wrote:I'd like an apology here on the board from everyone who ever criticized me for broaching the topic of trading KP.

And to disagree with the sentiment in the article, I think the Knicks got as much value as was ever offered. Booker & a swap of picks, Celts bunch of picks would have been nice, but we netted DSjr, 2 picks and we cleared cap tremendously.

And we still have DeAndre Jordan who many of us have clamored for for years.

I don't think there was a better deal out there - I'd also commend our FO for making this move at the perfect time - they didn't wait for the summer, they didn't try to get a better deal. They acted at the best time.

SO AWESOME for once!

And it reinforces my belief that Fizdale is the best coach we've had since Riley.

I hope we can land the top pick and really get lucky for once - because having cap space isn't enough, and even if we land KD, he needs help and we need depth.

I apologize if I ever was critical and encroached on your topical brilliance in manner both respectful or via sarcasm.

You don't show a fool a job half done!
franco12
Posts: 30312
Alba Posts: 4
Joined: 2/19/2004
Member: #599
USA
2/11/2019  11:33 AM
Nalod wrote:
franco12 wrote:I'd like an apology here on the board from everyone who ever criticized me for broaching the topic of trading KP.

And to disagree with the sentiment in the article, I think the Knicks got as much value as was ever offered. Booker & a swap of picks, Celts bunch of picks would have been nice, but we netted DSjr, 2 picks and we cleared cap tremendously.

And we still have DeAndre Jordan who many of us have clamored for for years.

I don't think there was a better deal out there - I'd also commend our FO for making this move at the perfect time - they didn't wait for the summer, they didn't try to get a better deal. They acted at the best time.

SO AWESOME for once!

And it reinforces my belief that Fizdale is the best coach we've had since Riley.

I hope we can land the top pick and really get lucky for once - because having cap space isn't enough, and even if we land KD, he needs help and we need depth.

I apologize if I ever was critical and encroached on your topical brilliance in manner both respectful or via sarcasm.

HA! Although, I don't think even ever been brilliant!

Who could have ever seen an opportunity like the one the Knicks were able to pull off?

Nalod
Posts: 56802
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
2/11/2019  12:17 PM
franco12 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
franco12 wrote:I'd like an apology here on the board from everyone who ever criticized me for broaching the topic of trading KP.

And to disagree with the sentiment in the article, I think the Knicks got as much value as was ever offered. Booker & a swap of picks, Celts bunch of picks would have been nice, but we netted DSjr, 2 picks and we cleared cap tremendously.

And we still have DeAndre Jordan who many of us have clamored for for years.

I don't think there was a better deal out there - I'd also commend our FO for making this move at the perfect time - they didn't wait for the summer, they didn't try to get a better deal. They acted at the best time.

SO AWESOME for once!

And it reinforces my belief that Fizdale is the best coach we've had since Riley.

I hope we can land the top pick and really get lucky for once - because having cap space isn't enough, and even if we land KD, he needs help and we need depth.

I apologize if I ever was critical and encroached on your topical brilliance in manner both respectful or via sarcasm.

HA! Although, I don't think even ever been brilliant!

Who could have ever seen an opportunity like the one the Knicks were able to pull off?

Obviously it will take a few years to sort this out. We love to "Letter grade the trade" but fact is KP signs a max deal and we wince when his tibia protrudes thru his skin that moment we win the deal. If KP becomes Drago and is the new Aryan posterchild for the world to gasp in reverence than we lose.
If Smith Becomes an allstar and we have Kawhi, Boogie, Knox and our glue frank showered by confetti down the canyon of heroes then we win.
My hope is KP and the knicks meet in the finals for few years. We need a real rival/villain!!!

You don't show a fool a job half done!
VCoug
Posts: 24902
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/28/2007
Member: #1406

2/11/2019  3:01 PM
Man, there's so much Phil apologism since the KP trade and it's bull****. Phil made a bunch of terrible win-now moves because making the playoffs as an 8th seed and ****ing triangle magic was going to turn us into a contender. Meanwhile, those moves which were supposed to lead us to the promised land put our current rebuild behind by at least 4 years and led us to seasons of 17, 32, 31, and 29 wins. Phil "knew" that KP was injury prone and his body couldn't stand up to the rigors of the NBA but he's the one who ****ing drafted him. He also "knew" that Melo was terrible and didn't fit in with what he wanted to do but he's the one who resigned Melo to a huge deal and gave him a ****ing no-trade clause. Phil was ****ing terrible and we should all be glad he's gone. He was as bad as any other team pres we've had this millennium except he didn't trade any future 1st round picks (he did trade future 2nd round picks including this year's!), and by all reports, that's because Dolan won't let anyone trade 1st round picks anymore.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Uptown
Posts: 27450
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 4/1/2008
Member: #1883

2/11/2019  3:10 PM
VCoug wrote:Man, there's so much Phil apologism since the KP trade and it's bull****. Phil made a bunch of terrible win-now moves because making the playoffs as an 8th seed and ****ing triangle magic was going to turn us into a contender. Meanwhile, those moves which were supposed to lead us to the promised land put our current rebuild behind by at least 4 years and led us to seasons of 17, 32, 31, and 29 wins. Phil "knew" that KP was injury prone and his body couldn't stand up to the rigors of the NBA but he's the one who ****ing drafted him. He also "knew" that Melo was terrible and didn't fit in with what he wanted to do but he's the one who resigned Melo to a huge deal and gave him a ****ing no-trade clause. Phil was ****ing terrible and we should all be glad he's gone. He was as bad as any other team pres we've had this millennium except he didn't trade any future 1st round picks (he did trade future 2nd round picks including this year's!), and by all reports, that's because Dolan won't let anyone trade 1st round picks anymore.

“It’s much more about the perception of the organization,” Fizdale said. “What I think we’ve done together with Steve [Mills] and Scott [Perry], Mr. Dolan and myself an
Knixkik
Posts: 29867
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/24/2001
Member: #11
USA
2/11/2019  3:10 PM
Nalod wrote:
franco12 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
franco12 wrote:I'd like an apology here on the board from everyone who ever criticized me for broaching the topic of trading KP.

And to disagree with the sentiment in the article, I think the Knicks got as much value as was ever offered. Booker & a swap of picks, Celts bunch of picks would have been nice, but we netted DSjr, 2 picks and we cleared cap tremendously.

And we still have DeAndre Jordan who many of us have clamored for for years.

I don't think there was a better deal out there - I'd also commend our FO for making this move at the perfect time - they didn't wait for the summer, they didn't try to get a better deal. They acted at the best time.

SO AWESOME for once!

And it reinforces my belief that Fizdale is the best coach we've had since Riley.

I hope we can land the top pick and really get lucky for once - because having cap space isn't enough, and even if we land KD, he needs help and we need depth.

I apologize if I ever was critical and encroached on your topical brilliance in manner both respectful or via sarcasm.

HA! Although, I don't think even ever been brilliant!

Who could have ever seen an opportunity like the one the Knicks were able to pull off?

Obviously it will take a few years to sort this out. We love to "Letter grade the trade" but fact is KP signs a max deal and we wince when his tibia protrudes thru his skin that moment we win the deal. If KP becomes Drago and is the new Aryan posterchild for the world to gasp in reverence than we lose.
If Smith Becomes an allstar and we have Kawhi, Boogie, Knox and our glue frank showered by confetti down the canyon of heroes then we win.
My hope is KP and the knicks meet in the finals for few years. We need a real rival/villain!!!


While i hope KP stays healthy (i never want injury on anyone) i hope that he gets humbled a bit in this experience. The west will make it harder for him to make the playoffs and be an all-star. If the Knicks needed to move KP to create the flexibility to improve, that would be ironic for him.
Nalod
Posts: 56802
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
2/11/2019  3:42 PM
VCoug wrote:Man, there's so much Phil apologism since the KP trade and it's bull****. Phil made a bunch of terrible win-now moves because making the playoffs as an 8th seed and ****ing triangle magic was going to turn us into a contender. Meanwhile, those moves which were supposed to lead us to the promised land put our current rebuild behind by at least 4 years and led us to seasons of 17, 32, 31, and 29 wins. Phil "knew" that KP was injury prone and his body couldn't stand up to the rigors of the NBA but he's the one who ****ing drafted him. He also "knew" that Melo was terrible and didn't fit in with what he wanted to do but he's the one who resigned Melo to a huge deal and gave him a ****ing no-trade clause. Phil was ****ing terrible and we should all be glad he's gone. He was as bad as any other team pres we've had this millennium except he didn't trade any future 1st round picks (he did trade future 2nd round picks including this year's!), and by all reports, that's because Dolan won't let anyone trade 1st round picks anymore.

Im trying to stay focused on KP as a subject, not Phils whole knick Tenure.
The point was if Phil was to have traded him it just turned out to be the right thing in hindsight.
KP value after KAT was better than OKA4 and Russell. After that the draft really dropped.
Mario, Willie cauly stein then Mudiay were the next three.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NBA_draft

You don't show a fool a job half done!
smackeddog
Posts: 33503
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
2/11/2019  4:11 PM
Must say I’ve been surprised by the fan and media reaction to the trade, I thought we were going to get pummelled and fans would be distraught. Instead most have been okay with it, which has been nice to see/hear
Kudo’s to Mills & Perry

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.