[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Your favorite/ most hated Knicks trades of all time
Author Thread
Welpee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6239

2/16/2019  2:23 PM
Jmpasq wrote:The McDyess trade is the worst for me. I loved Camby and to throw in the pick too for an injured player. I mean what the f were you thinking. First I was pissed we took Nene over Amare and the trade drove me further towards insanity . We could of had Amare and Camby for a decade.
I agree but remember, Camby only played 29 games his last season here so they were both kinda injured players.
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/16/2019  2:35 PM
Welpee wrote:Favorites:

October 22, 1982: Bernard King for Micheal Ray Richardson and a 1984 5th round draft pick (Scott McCollum was later selected). Got a future HOFer for a formerly great player with a drug problem.

June 27, 1988: Oakley and a 1988 1st round draft pick (Rod Strickland was later selected) and a 1988 3rd round draft pick (Phil Stinnie was later selected) for Bill Cartwright, a 1988 1st round draft pick (Will Perdue was later selected) and a 1988 3rd round draft pick (Derrick Lewis was later selected). Trade that helped both teams but I think it was first step in taking us to the next level during the Ewing era.

June 25, 1998: Camby for Sean Marks, Charles Oakley and cash. Hated it at the time, loved it during the 1999 playoffs.

January 21, 1999: Traded by the Golden State Warriors to the New York Knicks for Terry Cummings, Chris Mills and John Starks. Knicks rolled the dice and finally had it work out for us.

Hated:

October 4, 2005: Eddy Curry with Antonio Davis and a 2007 1st round draft pick (Wilson Chandler was later selected) for Jermaine Jackson, Mike Sweetney, Tim Thomas, a 2006 1st round draft pick (LaMarcus Aldridge was later selected), a 2007 1st round draft pick (Joakim Noah was later selected), a 2007 2nd round draft pick (Kyrylo Fesenko was later selected) and a 2009 2nd round draft pick (Jon Brockman was later selected). Not only was the trade horrible, didn't we also give Curry a huge contract? Possibly the worst trade in Knicks history.

February 21, 1990: Rod Strickland to the San Antonio Spurs for Maurice Cheeks. So we trade a 23 year old 2nd year potential stud point guard for a 33 year old over the hill Mo Cheeks. Brilliant.

September 20, 2000: Ewing as part of a 4-team trade, traded by the New York Knicks to the Seattle SuperSonics; the Los Angeles Lakers traded Travis Knight, Glen Rice and a 2001 1st round draft pick (Jamaal Tinsley was later selected) to the New York Knicks; the New York Knicks traded Chris Dudley and a 2001 1st round draft pick (Jason Collins was later selected) to the Phoenix Suns; the Phoenix Suns traded Luc Longley to the New York Knicks; the Seattle SuperSonics traded Emanual Davis, Greg Foster, Horace Grant and Chuck Person to the Los Angeles Lakers; and the Seattle SuperSonics traded Lazaro Borrell, Vernon Maxwell, Vladimir Stepania, a 2001 2nd round draft pick (Eric Chenowith was later selected), a 2001 2nd round draft pick (Michael Wright was later selected) and a 2002 1st round draft pick (Kareem Rush was later selected) to the New York Knicks. Mainly because it makes me sick seeing photos of Ewing in those ugly Seattle and that cartoonish Orlando uniforms. There shouldn't be any images of Ewing other than in a Knick uniform. Plus we acquired a player (Rice) who we had no use for nor had a position for him to play with Houston and Spree already on the roster.

What was the logic of the Strickland trade at the time? (It was a few years before my time). I always liked him with the blazers and I was surprised when I found out he used to be a knick

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/16/2019  3:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/16/2019  3:08 PM
It was to surround Ewing with talent or he’d bolt.
King was troubled at the time. it was a trade of two guys having problems.
Richardson blew himself out of the league but I recall he playe in Europe into his 40’s.
He as better than Magic Johnson.
Welpee

2/16/2019  3:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/16/2019  3:06 PM
smackeddog wrote:

October 22, 1982: Bernard King for Micheal Ray Richardson and a 1984 5th round draft pick (Scott McCollum was later selected). Got a future HOFer for a formerly great player with a drug problem.

June 27, 1988: Oakley and a 1988 1st round draft pick (Rod Strickland was later selected) and a 1988 3rd round draft pick (Phil Stinnie was later selected) for Bill Cartwright, a 1988 1st round draft pick (Will Perdue was later selected) and a 1988 3rd round draft pick (Derrick Lewis was later selected). Trade that helped both teams but I think it was first step in taking us to the next level during the Ewing era.

June 25, 1998: Camby for Sean Marks, Charles Oakley and cash. Hated it at the time, loved it during the 1999 playoffs.

January 21, 1999: Traded by the Golden State Warriors to the New York Knicks for Terry Cummings, Chris Mills and John Starks. Knicks rolled the dice and finally had it work out for us.

Hated:

October 4, 2005: Eddy Curry with Antonio Davis and a 2007 1st round draft pick (Wilson Chandler was later selected) for Jermaine Jackson, Mike Sweetney, Tim Thomas, a 2006 1st round draft pick (LaMarcus Aldridge was later selected), a 2007 1st round draft pick (Joakim Noah was later selected), a 2007 2nd round draft pick (Kyrylo Fesenko was later selected) and a 2009 2nd round draft pick (Jon Brockman was later selected). Not only was the trade horrible, didn't we also give Curry a huge contract? Possibly the worst trade in Knicks history.

February 21, 1990: Rod Strickland to the San Antonio Spurs for Maurice Cheeks. So we trade a 23 year old 2nd year potential stud point guard for a 33 year old over the hill Mo Cheeks. Brilliant.

September 20, 2000: Ewing as part of a 4-team trade, traded by the New York Knicks to the Seattle SuperSonics; the Los Angeles Lakers traded Travis Knight, Glen Rice and a 2001 1st round draft pick (Jamaal Tinsley was later selected) to the New York Knicks; the New York Knicks traded Chris Dudley and a 2001 1st round draft pick (Jason Collins was later selected) to the Phoenix Suns; the Phoenix Suns traded Luc Longley to the New York Knicks; the Seattle SuperSonics traded Emanual Davis, Greg Foster, Horace Grant and Chuck Person to the Los Angeles Lakers; and the Seattle SuperSonics traded Lazaro Borrell, Vernon Maxwell, Vladimir Stepania, a 2001 2nd round draft pick (Eric Chenowith was later selected), a 2001 2nd round draft pick (Michael Wright was later selected) and a 2002 1st round draft pick (Kareem Rush was later selected) to the New York Knicks. Mainly because it makes me sick seeing photos of Ewing in those ugly Seattle and that cartoonish Orlando uniforms. There shouldn't be any images of Ewing other than in a Knick uniform. Plus we acquired a player (Rice) who we had no use for nor had a position for him to play with Houston and Spree already on the roster.

What was the logic of the Strickland trade at the time? (It was a few years before my time). I always liked him with the blazers and I was surprised when I found out he used to be a knick

I remember hearing stuff about Strickland constantly being late for practice and I guess the Knicks thought he was a discipline problem waiting to happen. I also remember the Knicks didn't miss a beat when he used to sub for Mark Jackson. I will never forget the look on Mark Jackson's face (who was at the draft) when the Knicks picked Strickland. Jackson knew what the fellow NYC point guard brought to the table and he had to be thinking about his future as a Knick.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/16/2019  4:15 PM
smackeddog wrote:Almost forgot- loved the Mase for LJ trade (as much as I liked Mase), and it worked out great for us (in an unexpected way)

I hated the Mase trade. Mase was an mvp candidate his first year in Charlotte.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Welpee

2/16/2019  4:49 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Almost forgot- loved the Mase for LJ trade (as much as I liked Mase), and it worked out great for us (in an unexpected way)

He had a great 1st year but I'm not sure if I would consider getting 7 out of a possible 1,150 MVP votes a candidate, unless getting any votes qualifies.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/16/2019  7:21 PM
Welpee wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He had a great 1st year but I'm not sure if I would consider getting 7 out of a possible 1,150 MVP votes a candidate, unless getting any votes qualifies.
I thought he came in fourth. Was he an all star that year as well?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Welpee

2/16/2019  10:51 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Welpee wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I thought he came in fourth. Was he an all star that year as well?
Weird, he wasn't an all-star that year, which I was surprised to learn. He made the team when he played with Miami. Totally don't remember that.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/masonan01.html

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/17/2019  9:16 PM
Welpee wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Mason was a warrior I hated the trade at first but I learned to Love LJ even more
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/17/2019  9:53 PM
Welpee wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:The McDyess trade is the worst for me. I loved Camby and to throw in the pick too for an injured player. I mean what the f were you thinking. First I was pissed we took Nene over Amare and the trade drove me further towards insanity . We could of had Amare and Camby for a decade.
I agree but remember, Camby only played 29 games his last season here so they were both kinda injured players.

Yeah but he was locked up on a cheap contract. Could you imagine a Amare Camby frontcourt.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
bigjeep8
Member: #3297

2/18/2019  8:00 AM
homeskillitprigioni wrote:I can't remember a Knicks trade I liked. Ever.

I can! The trade for Dave Debuscherre that gave us our first Championship and the Earl Monroe trade that gave us our second Championship!

bigjeep8
Member: #3297

2/18/2019  8:01 AM
As far as the worst trade(s), there are just to many to name!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/18/2019  8:33 AM
Might want to look up the rumors about Mase that precipitated his exile. Rumors about under age girls and partying made for a problem waiting for happen. An event off the court would destroy any trade value.
No doubt Charlotte understood this but as a small market them they had lost Mourning who wanted out and LJ’s back was a problem given the enormity of his contract. Knicks being rich could absorb it. Mase had no public problems after his trade. Maybe a win-win trade. Mase was an in-house knick and like Starks a big reason knicks under riles came to be relevant. LJ was never the high flyer he was as a younger version but his charisma won over fans. Clutch play never hurts! He had a “Moment”!
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/18/2019  4:37 PM
Worst trade, ok not a trade but bad decision, ever was giving up LIN for a measly $25 million dollars.
Worst trade ever was...…
The tar and feather job done on Isiah Thomas.
Takes on a heart beat floundering, no game playing, $56 Million dollar earning Eddy Curry And gave away Sweetney, no great shakes, but nice role player, Tim Thomas, had a few nice years. Unprotected 2006 first round pick (#2) Lemarcus Aldridge. Other picks that resulted in Omar Asik, Sefalosha (traded for Taj Gibson). And the rights to swap picks in 2007 which resulted in OUR Favorite..Joakim Noah #9. This also started a heralded history of Knick ineptitude that we all grew to love.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Welpee

2/18/2019  5:44 PM
Nalod wrote:Might want to look up the rumors about Mase that precipitated his exile. Rumors about under age girls and partying made for a problem waiting for happen. An event off the court would destroy any trade value.
No doubt Charlotte understood this but as a small market them they had lost Mourning who wanted out and LJ’s back was a problem given the enormity of his contract. Knicks being rich could absorb it. Mase had no public problems after his trade. Maybe a win-win trade. Mase was an in-house knick and like Starks a big reason knicks under riles came to be relevant. LJ was never the high flyer he was as a younger version but his charisma won over fans. Clutch play never hurts! He had a “Moment”!
LJ by most accounts was a great, unselfish teammate. I remember Mase grumbling about Ewing grumbling about Don Nelson wanting to run the offense through Mase. The same edge that made Mase Mase also may have made him a little difficult to deal with.
JesseDark
Member: #467
2/18/2019  6:27 PM
Welpee wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Hated:

I remember hearing stuff about Strickland constantly being late for practice and I guess the Knicks thought he was a discipline problem waiting to happen. I also remember the Knicks didn't miss a beat when he used to sub for Mark Jackson. I will never forget the look on Mark Jackson's face (who was at the draft) when the Knicks picked Strickland. Jackson knew what the fellow NYC point guard brought to the table and he had to be thinking about his future as a Knick.

Yeah that sounds about right to me. I also recall he used to kick Coach Stu Jackson's towel when he would sub him out of games.

Bring back dee-fense
93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
2/18/2019  9:00 PM
trading for Spree- and I was so bummed to lose Starks- Spree might have been the one dude in the league who brought as much spirit and more speed and talent. Amazing trade.
I like to harp on the little bad trades- not the McDyess/Melo/EddyCurry/etc.
I wish we had kept Trevor Ariza. He could have helped on every Knicks team for 10 years. We sold low. That's why I don't want to trade Frank N.
Trading Zach and Crawford when both were in a good system for them. Both were really useful pros for a long time.
I hope the KP trade doesn't end up being the worst one. I hope I'm wrong like I was about trading Starks.
If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
2/18/2019  9:04 PM
Should have included the Ewing trade.
If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
Your favorite/ most hated Knicks trades of all time

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy