[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Your favorite/ most hated Knicks trades of all time
Author Thread
VCoug
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1406

2/7/2019  10:17 PM
Oakley is probably my favorite Knick of all time and trading him for Camby broke my heart but I thought it was a good trade. Favorite trade is probably Starks and friends for Sprewell. It hurt to trade Starks away but that was obviously such a good trade you had to do it.

Hated the Curry trade the most and it's probably the worst trade in Knicks history. Hated Curry and I remember being happy that we signed Jerome James because I thought it made it less likely that we would trade for Curry.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
AUTOADVERT
JesseDark
Member: #467
2/7/2019  10:53 PM
Most hated trade for me was the McDyss trade. We draft Nene and send him to Denver for Antonio McDyss. I still get mad thinking about it. That was a Layden move.
Bring back dee-fense
JesseDark
2/7/2019  11:03 PM
I remember the synergy between Marbury and KVH they had a good pick and pop game between them. They should have rode that for the entire season then make moves.
Nalod wrote:1. Clyde for Jim Cleammons. I understood the trade but broke my heart. Clyde in Cleveland in that era.
2. Eddy. A guy the Bulls were paying to retire.
3. Starbury. Toxic.
4. Reezy for Francis. Feels bad years later.
5. Melo. Not because of him, because it didn't move the dial. WE went know where.
6. Henderson for the pick that became Pippen. Do we actually draft him? Not sure but its a legacy boo boo.
7. Camby for Oak. Not because it was oak. His time had come and gone but the fact we got the wussy Camby. Not the later version who thrived in Denver and Portland.
9. Wasn't it Tim Thomas for KVH? Marbles had synergy with KVH and his ego could not handle it from their nets experience. MR. "All Alone". I thought Isiah tried too hard.
10. David Lee for Anthony Randolph and what ever. We moved Lee to get Amare. Lee was an allstar. Lee was the first player signed by the new owner at GSW. Not that he would have defined the franchise but he had value, was no expensive, could have signed another player, etc etc.......Or used in Melo trade next year.

That was easy.

Bring back dee-fense
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/7/2019  11:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2019  11:28 PM
And Doleac in the paint, also ran the P&R well with Marbury. Was an underrated post defender. Nazr went on to have a very long career, still thought trading Doleac, and his toughness in the paint, was a mistake.

JesseDark wrote:I remember the synergy between Marbury and KVH they had a good pick and pop game between them. They should have rode that for the entire season then make moves.
Nalod wrote:1. Clyde for Jim Cleammons. I understood the trade but broke my heart. Clyde in Cleveland in that era.
3. Starbury. Toxic.
5. Melo. Not because of him, because it didn't move the dial. WE went know where.
6. Henderson for the pick that became Pippen. Do we actually draft him? Not sure but its a legacy boo boo.
7. Camby for Oak. Not because it was oak. His time had come and gone but the fact we got the wussy Camby. Not the later version who thrived in Denver and Portland.
9. Wasn't it Tim Thomas for KVH? Marbles had synergy with KVH and his ego could not handle it from their nets experience. MR. "All Alone". I thought Isiah tried too hard.
10. David Lee for Anthony Randolph and what ever. We moved Lee to get Amare. Lee was an allstar. Lee was the first player signed by the new owner at GSW. Not that he would have defined the franchise but he had value, was no expensive, could have signed another player, etc etc.......Or used in Melo trade next year.

That was easy.

JesseDark
2/7/2019  11:32 PM
Yeah I agree...Doleac may have been the one on the pick and pop more than KVH. Either way they should have kept that together longer.
Isaih wanted to show how genius he is.

GustavBahler wrote:And Doleac in the paint, also ran the P&R well with Marbury. Was an underrated post defender. Nazr went on to have a very long career, still thought trading Doleac, and his toughness in the paint, was a mistake.

JesseDark wrote:I remember the synergy between Marbury and KVH they had a good pick and pop game between them. They should have rode that for the entire season then make moves.
3. Starbury. Toxic.

That was easy.

Bring back dee-fense
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/7/2019  11:38 PM
Spot on, thats what I thought at the time as well. Didnt care if it was working, wanted to put his owm stamp on the team. I "hated" KVH, like some here feel about Melo. Always thought KVH was talented but very, very, soft. Was genuinely surprised to see him be more aggressive, responded to playing at the Garden.

JesseDark wrote:Yeah I agree...Doleac may have been the one on the pick and pop more than KVH. Either way they should have kept that together longer.

GustavBahler wrote:And Doleac in the paint, also ran the P&R well with Marbury. Was an underrated post defender. Nazr went on to have a very long career, still thought trading Doleac, and his toughness in the paint, was a mistake.

3. Starbury. Toxic.

That was easy.

MS
Member: #724
2/8/2019  11:00 AM
It’s literally amazing how bad this team has been executing trades.

Outside of the 1999 offseason you could make the case we have lost every single trade we have made badly. Melo for Kanter and Doug was probably the only other time where we made a trade that made sense.

The Biggest Losers

1. Eddy Curry
2. Dice
3. Ewing
4. Andrea
5. Q Rich

Virtually every trade ever made by Thomas belongs on the list.

smackeddog
Member: #883
2/8/2019  11:10 AM
MS wrote:It’s literally amazing how bad this team has been executing trades.

Outside of the 1999 offseason you could make the case we have lost every single trade we have made badly. Melo for Kanter and Doug was probably the only other time where we made a trade that made sense.

The Biggest Losers

1. Eddy Curry
2. Dice
3. Ewing
4. Andrea
5. Q Rich

Virtually every trade ever made by Thomas belongs on the list.

Ha, true, though I'd say the Curry trade and the Camby & 1st for Dice (which was pre-IT) are the two that sunk the franchise for 10+ years.

Also, to be fair, I don't think the Marbury trade was that awful, but it kind of snowballed from there with horrific follow up trade, followed by horrific follow up trade- in itself it was okay but it set us off on a disastrous path, and by the time we got to trading for that fat guy from the Rockets Ewing vouched for (Mo something?) it was wearing thin, then we got to the horrific Steve Francis trade and the Jalen Rose trade, that we even all knew at the time were ridiculous- it's like IT couldn't help himself.

Remember when Vince Carter wanted out of Boston and wanted to come here, and we made the best offer, but the Craptors sent him to New Jersey for nothing out of spite- I wonder how things would have gone with him and Marbury...

smackeddog
2/8/2019  3:16 PM
Almost forgot- loved the Mase for LJ trade (as much as I liked Mase), and it worked out great for us (in an unexpected way)
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
2/8/2019  4:25 PM
trading away camby

a dark dark sad sad day

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/8/2019  4:37 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Spot on, thats what I thought at the time as well. Didnt care if it was working, wanted to put his owm stamp on the team. I "hated" KVH, like some here feel about Melo. Always thought KVH was talented but very, very, soft. Was genuinely surprised to see him be more aggressive, responded to playing at the Garden.

JesseDark wrote:Yeah I agree...Doleac may have been the one on the pick and pop more than KVH. Either way they should have kept that together longer.

3. Starbury. Toxic.

That was easy.

I though the TIm Thomas for KHV was almost a racist trade, i mean their couldn't have been a more lateral trade ever..But steph and KVH had just starting getting a nice little chemistry going, then you trade him for TT, because he was slightly more athletic

ES
Kemet
Member: #6148

2/8/2019  5:11 PM
1) Ewing
2) Camby for Mcdyess
3) Marbury
4) KVH
5) Ariza
6) Melo for team n picks
7) And not resigning LinSanity
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/8/2019  5:31 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Spot on, thats what I thought at the time as well. Didnt care if it was working, wanted to put his owm stamp on the team. I "hated" KVH, like some here feel about Melo. Always thought KVH was talented but very, very, soft. Was genuinely surprised to see him be more aggressive, responded to playing at the Garden.

3. Starbury. Toxic.

That was easy.

I though the TIm Thomas for KHV was almost a racist trade, i mean their couldn't have been a more lateral trade ever..But steph and KVH had just starting getting a nice little chemistry going, then you trade him for TT, because he was slightly more athletic

I recall Isiah defending him saying "a guy averages 8rebs a game and he's called Soft?"
Mr. "Fugacy" had very cut build at all the tools but he was "soft".

But the racist thing I sort of remember being part of it as if Marbury just had it in for the guy. He looked soft, awful hair, lilly white but funny he went to college in Utah but was not from there!!
Truth is he was traded by the Nets to Philly when Nets lost to Lakers in the finals (post Marbles nets, remember kidd did what he could not. Lead)
and Keynon Martin had made a comment that "insinuated that White guys just did not have it". Kenyon was known to be a bit aggressive to white guys on the court. KVH was to be the next "Larry bird". His salary might have been a bit of a problem regarding Envy. Kmart rough antics and tough fouls were loved by fans but he was seen as selfish as the flagrents could change a games momentum. It was about him.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/8/2019  5:49 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

3. Starbury. Toxic.

That was easy.

I recall Isiah defending him saying "a guy averages 8rebs a game and he's called Soft?"
Mr. "Fugacy" had very cut build at all the tools but he was "soft".

But the racist thing I sort of remember being part of it as if Marbury just had it in for the guy. He looked soft, awful hair, lilly white but funny he went to college in Utah but was not from there!!
Truth is he was traded by the Nets to Philly when Nets lost to Lakers in the finals (post Marbles nets, remember kidd did what he could not. Lead)
and Keynon Martin had made a comment that "insinuated that White guys just did not have it". Kenyon was known to be a bit aggressive to white guys on the court. KVH was to be the next "Larry bird". His salary might have been a bit of a problem regarding Envy. Kmart rough antics and tough fouls were loved by fans but he was seen as selfish as the flagrents could change a games momentum. It was about him.

The crazy thing was that KVH had better rebound, steal and block numbers than Thomas. Those numbers indicate that there probably wasn't that big difference between athletically. Thomas was probably the better three point shooter. I think stereotypes definitely shaped the media narrative around this two players.
As an aside, Thomas reminds me alot of of Hezonia. Two guys who seemingly check off every box for functional NBA athleticism, but are unable to make it translate on the court.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
JoeyBagadonuts
Member: #3161

2/9/2019  12:57 PM
Top 3 trades:

Walt Bellamy & Howard Komives for DAVE DEBUSSCHERE

Mike Riordan & Dave Stallworth for EARL MONROE

Cazzie Russell for JERRY LUCAS

Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
2/16/2019  1:50 AM
The McDyse trade was the worst to me and I knew it at the time.

Dice game was predicated on athelticism and he hadn't even been back healthy when we made the trade.
We gave up Camby & Nene (who i really wanted us to draft btw) and yes a healthy Dice is probably better than both, but not a unhealthy Dice and that was the dice we got. It never made any sense at all, I wanted to scream.

smackeddog
2/16/2019  3:00 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/16/2019  3:28 AM
Killa4luv wrote:The McDyse trade was the worst to me and I knew it at the time.

Dice game was predicated on athelticism and he hadn't even been back healthy when we made the trade.
We gave up Camby & Nene (who i really wanted us to draft btw) and yes a healthy Dice is probably better than both, but not a unhealthy Dice and that was the dice we got. It never made any sense at all, I wanted to scream.

I hated that trade right away, when he got injured in that preseason game after Don Chaney played him a ridiculous amount of minutes, I was mad at Chaney, but also not surprised. Crazy the media gave it a good response at the time:

The charge was to create hope, to maximize a seventh pick in a draft high on hype but low on proven commodities and give Knicks fans a reason to expect more than another lottery pick next year. That was the demand on Scott Layden, the Knicks' president and general manager, in last night's N.B.A. draft.

In one fell swoop, Layden was supposed to return a small, aging team to playoff contention. He did just that.

In the biggest trade since Latrell Sprewell joined the Knicks in 1999, the Knicks brought the All-Star power forward Antonio McDyess to the Knicks. Layden sent Marcus Camby, Mark Jackson and the Knicks' seventh pick, Maybyner (Nenê) Hilário, to Denver in exchange for McDyess, the 25th pick this year and a second-round pick in 2003. With the 25th pick, the Knicks selected Frank Williams, a 6-foot-3 point guard from Illinois rated by many scouts as the second-best point guard in the draft behind Duke's Jay Williams.

McDyess is a star, and Frank Williams is an undisputed talent who averaged 16.2 points, 4.4 assists and 2.0 steals as a junior last season. By many accounts, it was a good night for the Knicks.

But not by all accounts. After the Knicks selected Milos Vujanic of Yugoslavia with the 36th pick, fans at the Theater at Madison Square Garden resumed chants of ''Fi-re Lay-den!'' They had chanted the same thing after the Knicks had selected Hilário with the seventh pick but before the trade was made official. The crowd's hostility implied that some fans were not pleased with the Knicks' deal.

Layden believes those contrary minds will be changed.

''Knowing New York fans, I think they'll embrace Antonio McDyess,'' Layden said. ''He's a great rebounder, a rugged guy, he can score and he's somebody who can demand a double team. Our fans love players who play hard and they'll love Antonio McDyess.''

The 6-9, 245-pound McDyess is one of the best frontcourt players in the league, and he becomes arguably the best big man in the East. McDyess, 27, has averaged 17.6 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.67 blocks while shooting 49.4 percent from the field in seven seasons.

In the 2000-1 season, his last healthy one, McDyess was a powerhouse, averaging 20.8 points and 12.1 rebounds a game in earning his only trip to the All-Star Game.

The one red flag to the deal is that after undergoing surgery on both knees on Oct. 12, 2001, McDyess played only 10 games last season. He was a part-timer in those 10 games, averaging 11.3 points and 5.5 rebounds in just 23.6 minutes per game.

The surgeries were to repair the patella tendon in his left knee and to clean out his right knee. He was expected to be back on the court by last February, but he did not return until March 1. Never able to grow comfortable upon his return, McDyess ended his season after a game on March 20. He is expected to be ready for training camp in October.

Layden said that the Knicks received all of Denver's medical information regarding McDyess and that they will put him through a physical examination. McDyess, along with Williams, will arrive in New York tomorrow, and the players have until July 5 to complete their physicals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/27/sports/pro-basketball-knicks-get-mcdyess-for-camby-and-jackson.html

Ha "the one red flag" was just that he had surgery in both knees and failed to return when he was meant to!

Then a few months later, you could tell it was the end of an era, and something bad was coming:

But in yet another cruel twist for a suddenly forlorn franchise, one of those spectacular dunks and rebounds -- done in one motion -- has, in all likelihood, ended McDyess's season and the Knicks' chances of success after only three preseason games.

McDyess, the All-Star power forward the Knicks were expecting to lead them back into playoff contention, fractured his left kneecap during the final minutes of Saturday's 94-87 exhibition loss to the Phoenix Suns at Madison Square Garden. After a magnetic resonance imaging test revealed the fracture yesterday, doctors said McDyess would be out indefinitely.

''This is a devastating blow for Antonio, knowing how hard he has worked up to this point,'' said Scott Layden, the Knicks' president and general manager. ''Knick fans had only seen a glimmer of his superior skills, and knowing Antonio, we are confident he will overcome this setback.''

McDyess, who was injured on a putback dunk with 1 minute 55 seconds left in the game, will get a second opinion within the next week. Whether he will undergo surgery has yet to be decided, but Layden said it was likely. Either way, McDyess will be out for several months...

...This is the third injury the 6-foot-9, 245-pound McDyess has had to his left knee, and all have had some connection to the patella area. Exactly one year to the day before reinjuring himself Saturday, McDyess underwent surgery to repair a partly torn patellar tendon that he sustained while playing for the Denver Nuggets. The injury kept McDyess out of all but 10 games last season. His knee problems began on March 3, 2001, when he dislocated his left kneecap in a game and missed 11 of the final 12 games of the season.

It was the uncertainty about McDyess's health that led to Denver's willingness to trade him, and many Knicks fans were skeptical when the club traded for him. McDyess and the 25th draft pick, Frank Williams, were acquired for Marcus Camby, Mark Jackson and Maybyner Hilário, the Knicks' first lottery pick in 16 years, in a draft-night trade on June 26....

After a pain-free summer, McDyess played well in the preseason. With a blend of power and athleticism, he averaged 17.7 points and 13.0 rebounds in 29 minutes a game. He had posted 23 points and 15 rebounds against Phoenix before the injury. McDyess played 38 minutes Saturday, but Coach Don Chaney said he was not second-guessing himself about still having McDyess on the floor.

''We felt that Antonio McDyess had endured one week of two-a-days and worked exceptionally hard,'' Chaney said. ''He felt great, and I have no reservations about putting him in the game at that time.''....

....The situation concerning McDyess is just the latest in a series of distressing events that have plagued the Knicks recently. On Sept. 30, Sprewell arrived at media day with a broken right hand, stunning Knicks management and leading to a surgery that will cause him to miss the start of the season.

The front office, upset because Sprewell did not inform the team of the injury before training camp, fined him $250,000 and banned him from all practices and games until further notice. Sprewell, contending that he did not know how seriously he was hurt, appealed the fine, and last week he said the front office was trying to make him a scapegoat and that his relationship with it would never be the same.

The Knicks had another problem on media day when Kurt Thomas was arrested on charges of third-degree assault against his wife and endangering the welfare of the couple's child.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/14/sports/pro-basketball-mcdyess-s-knee-injury-buckles-the-knicks.html

Welpee
Member: #6239

2/16/2019  11:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/16/2019  11:37 AM
Favorites:

October 22, 1982: Bernard King for Micheal Ray Richardson and a 1984 5th round draft pick (Scott McCollum was later selected). Got a future HOFer for a formerly great player with a drug problem.

June 27, 1988: Oakley and a 1988 1st round draft pick (Rod Strickland was later selected) and a 1988 3rd round draft pick (Phil Stinnie was later selected) for Bill Cartwright, a 1988 1st round draft pick (Will Perdue was later selected) and a 1988 3rd round draft pick (Derrick Lewis was later selected). Trade that helped both teams but I think it was first step in taking us to the next level during the Ewing era.

June 25, 1998: Camby for Sean Marks, Charles Oakley and cash. Hated it at the time, loved it during the 1999 playoffs.

January 21, 1999: Traded by the Golden State Warriors to the New York Knicks for Terry Cummings, Chris Mills and John Starks. Knicks rolled the dice and finally had it work out for us.

Hated:

October 4, 2005: Eddy Curry with Antonio Davis and a 2007 1st round draft pick (Wilson Chandler was later selected) for Jermaine Jackson, Mike Sweetney, Tim Thomas, a 2006 1st round draft pick (LaMarcus Aldridge was later selected), a 2007 1st round draft pick (Joakim Noah was later selected), a 2007 2nd round draft pick (Kyrylo Fesenko was later selected) and a 2009 2nd round draft pick (Jon Brockman was later selected). Not only was the trade horrible, didn't we also give Curry a huge contract? Possibly the worst trade in Knicks history.

February 21, 1990: Rod Strickland to the San Antonio Spurs for Maurice Cheeks. So we trade a 23 year old 2nd year potential stud point guard for a 33 year old over the hill Mo Cheeks. Brilliant.

September 20, 2000: Ewing as part of a 4-team trade, traded by the New York Knicks to the Seattle SuperSonics; the Los Angeles Lakers traded Travis Knight, Glen Rice and a 2001 1st round draft pick (Jamaal Tinsley was later selected) to the New York Knicks; the New York Knicks traded Chris Dudley and a 2001 1st round draft pick (Jason Collins was later selected) to the Phoenix Suns; the Phoenix Suns traded Luc Longley to the New York Knicks; the Seattle SuperSonics traded Emanual Davis, Greg Foster, Horace Grant and Chuck Person to the Los Angeles Lakers; and the Seattle SuperSonics traded Lazaro Borrell, Vernon Maxwell, Vladimir Stepania, a 2001 2nd round draft pick (Eric Chenowith was later selected), a 2001 2nd round draft pick (Michael Wright was later selected) and a 2002 1st round draft pick (Kareem Rush was later selected) to the New York Knicks. Mainly because it makes me sick seeing photos of Ewing in those ugly Seattle and that cartoonish Orlando uniforms. There shouldn't be any images of Ewing other than in a Knick uniform. Plus we acquired a player (Rice) who we had no use for nor had a position for him to play with Houston and Spree already on the roster.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/16/2019  1:13 PM
The McDyess trade is the worst for me. I loved Camby and to throw in the pick too for an injured player. I mean what the f were you thinking. First I was pissed we took Nene over Amare and the trade drove me further towards insanity . We could of had Amare and Camby for a decade.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/16/2019  1:22 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

3. Starbury. Toxic.

That was easy.

Van Horn was actually playing pretty well
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Your favorite/ most hated Knicks trades of all time

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy