[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Your favorite/ most hated Knicks trades of all time
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
2/7/2019  12:00 PM
After the KP trade I was trying to think of trades that actually went down well with fans at the time, and how opinions change over time too.

This article had me chuckling:

https://theknickswall.com/most-impactful-trades-knicks-history-pacific-central-northwest-divisions/

Because one of my favorite trades at the time was:

Date: October 4, 2005

Knicks acquire: Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis, 2007 first-round pick (became Wilson Chandler)

Bulls acquire: Jermaine Jackson, Mike Sweetney, Tim Thomas, 2006 first-round pick (became LaMarcus Aldridge), 2007 first-round pick (became Joakim Noah), 2007 second-round pick (became Kyrylo Fesenko), 2009 second-round pick (became Jon Brockman)

This was a tough one. On one hand, the 1988 trade that brought Charles Oakley and Rod Strickland to the Knicks nearly won the Knicks the 1994 championship. There aren’t a lot of deals in team history that can boast that.

On the other hand, the Eddy Curry trade hamstrung the team for years and cost them the chance at a young Aldridge-Noah front court that could have run the East for years. So what do we value more, the opportunity gained by Oak Tree, or the possibilities lost because of Eddy Curry? When it comes to the Knicks, the negatives almost always outweigh the positives.

(I remember a poster freaking out that the picks were unprotected, and I argued that that was irrelevant )

Also I hated the Oakley for Camby trade at the time but ended up loving it further down the line (remember when Camby sat out with an ingrown toe nail while in JVG dog house).

I think the only trade I liked at the time and continued to love were:

Latrell Sprewell's second chance will be with the Golden State Warriors for guard John Starks and forwards Chris Mills and Terry Cummings.
A three-time All-Star with a history of trouble with teammates, coaches and management, Sprewell has not played since he was suspended without pay for the final 68 games of the 1997-98 season for twice attacking Warriors coach P.J. Carlesimo during a practice Dec. 1, 1997.

Knicks management made the trade after meeting face-to-face with Sprewell and conducting extensive background checks, team president and general manager Ernie Grunfeld said Thursday.
"We saw he was upset about what happened in the past and wanted a second opportunity," Grunfeld said in a teleconference. "We're gonna be supportive of him and with him."
Sprewell still has to meet with NBA commissioner David Stern and Players Association executive director Billy Hunter and provide assurances that he will control his temper. Sprewell is expected to join the Knicks in the next several days, Grunfeld said.
"In the new collective bargaining agreement there will be certain behavior issues," Madison Square Garden president and CEO Dave Checketts said.
Sprewell's natural position is shooting guard, where the Knicks already have Allan Houston. With his defensive versatility, Sprewell is expected to shift to small forward, joining a frontcourt that includes star center Patrick Ewing.
"He's an explosive offensive player," Grunfeld said. "He's a fierce competitor. I think he's committed to winning."
Some believed Sprewell simply should have been committed after his attack on Carlesimo, which led to the longest non-drug ban in league history.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/knicks-get-spree-lose-starks/

I hated the Spree for Van Horn trade at the time and even afterwards (when he was growing on people), hated the Melo trade, hated the Camby for Antonio McDyess trade, hated Ariza for Steve Francis

Weirdly I liked most of IT's trades at the time- landing Crawford, landing Marbury, landing Zach Randolph- I thought they were all awesome, ha ha!

There really aren't that many trades I liked at the time, and even fewer that turned out to be good after a few seasons later.

AUTOADVERT
homeskillitprigioni
Member: #4507

2/7/2019  12:06 PM
I can't remember a Knicks trade I liked. Ever.
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/7/2019  12:10 PM
homeskillitprigioni wrote:I can't remember a Knicks trade I liked. Ever.

It's not a great track record!

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/7/2019  12:11 PM
Curry and McDyess are the trades I hated most and lived through it. The Marbury trade was also brutal but at least we got something out of it - get in the truck.
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/7/2019  12:20 PM
Yeah, I can't remember a trade I liked either. Hated the Melo trade then, still do. Hated the Camby trade, but liked it later. The trade I almost liked was the same as yours, the Eddy Curry trade. Totally hated the Stevie Franchise trade because it cost us Ariza.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/7/2019  12:31 PM
The Melo trade.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/7/2019  1:03 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:Yeah, I can't remember a trade I liked either. Hated the Melo trade then, still do. Hated the Camby trade, but liked it later. The trade I almost liked was the same as yours, the Eddy Curry trade. Totally hated the Stevie Franchise trade because it cost us Ariza.

The Melo trade was the wrong deal to make looking back. Just another attempt to circumvent a rebuild. I know you likely don't share the same sentiment, but at least we got to see a HOFer in his prime. While that might only be a silver lining that is the best thing we had access to around here

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/7/2019  1:46 PM
Ariza for Francis sucked ars. Don’t forget picks for Bargs.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Chandler
Member: #6197

2/7/2019  2:26 PM

I hated the KP trade

but then again I loved the McDyess trade at the time (loved him coming out of college) so what the hell do I know

(5)(5)
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/7/2019  2:44 PM
Liked the Oakley for Cartwright trade, worked out well for both teams. Admitedly better for Chicago.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/7/2019  3:18 PM
1. Clyde for Jim Cleammons. I understood the trade but broke my heart. Clyde in Cleveland in that era.
2. Eddy. A guy the Bulls were paying to retire.
3. Starbury. Toxic.
4. Reezy for Francis. Feels bad years later.
5. Melo. Not because of him, because it didn't move the dial. WE went know where.
6. Henderson for the pick that became Pippen. Do we actually draft him? Not sure but its a legacy boo boo.
7. Camby for Oak. Not because it was oak. His time had come and gone but the fact we got the wussy Camby. Not the later version who thrived in Denver and Portland.
9. Wasn't it Tim Thomas for KVH? Marbles had synergy with KVH and his ego could not handle it from their nets experience. MR. "All Alone". I thought Isiah tried too hard.
10. David Lee for Anthony Randolph and what ever. We moved Lee to get Amare. Lee was an allstar. Lee was the first player signed by the new owner at GSW. Not that he would have defined the franchise but he had value, was no expensive, could have signed another player, etc etc.......Or used in Melo trade next year.

That was easy.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/7/2019  3:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2019  3:51 PM
smackeddog wrote:
homeskillitprigioni wrote:I can't remember a Knicks trade I liked. Ever.

It's not a great track record!

you had to like this

Latrell Sprewell's second chance will be with the Golden State Warriors for guard John Starks and forwards Chris Mills and Terry Cummings.

IMO...best trade knicks ever made, and who wasn't a Starks fan

ES
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/7/2019  4:34 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:Yeah, I can't remember a trade I liked either. Hated the Melo trade then, still do. Hated the Camby trade, but liked it later. The trade I almost liked was the same as yours, the Eddy Curry trade. Totally hated the Stevie Franchise trade because it cost us Ariza.

The Melo trade was the wrong deal to make looking back. Just another attempt to circumvent a rebuild. I know you likely don't share the same sentiment, but at least we got to see a HOFer in his prime. While that might only be a silver lining that is the best thing we had access to around here

Sure. People can like or dislike different things. I think the trade even in retrospect did nothing for us.
But I would still put the Francis for Reezy as a worse trade. Isiah Thomas totally ruined the franchise

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/7/2019  5:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/7/2019  5:03 PM
Hated: Every transaction with Houston or the Raptors (Camby trade the exception)
Favorite:....
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
jrodmc
Member: #805
USA
2/7/2019  5:12 PM
Favorite/ Spree - we traded a few end of the career guys and got an endless motor that got us to the Finals.

Most hated/ - Tie between ECurry and trading Spree for KVH and then ending up trading KVH for Tim Thomas who we eventually got back for nothing. So we ended up trading the best player we had on the team since Ewing for nothing.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/7/2019  5:41 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:

Agreed. Has nothing to do with Melo. It probably would of been better for both sides if it never happened. We should of held onto our assets and hell we could of used the amnesty on Amare too and kept building within while also having flexibility. The Eddy Curry Trade was the dumbest. I mean The Bulls must of laughed when they realized what they got for him
Allanfan20
Member: #542
USA
2/7/2019  6:13 PM
The fact that there were a number of people on this board that LOVED the Eddie Curry trade is what eats at my soul.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/7/2019  6:36 PM
Hated, Hated that we traded Rod Strickland for a past his prime Mo Cheeks!! Rod was my favorite Knick at the time and I remember the Dsily News articles on who is gonna get traded between Mark Jackson and Strickland. I was devastated when I heard the news....

Loved the Oakley/Camby and Spree/Starks trade. Both Starks and Oak had seen their better days and we had gone as far as we were going to go with them...Camby and Spree were young and athletic and meant we were getting away from slug ball and joined the rest of the league in the new era.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/7/2019  6:58 PM
Hated the Dyess trade the most because I love draft night and was on my way to a draft party when it was first rumored to be happening.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/7/2019  7:24 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Hated the Dyess trade the most because I love draft night and was on my way to a draft party when it was first rumored to be happening.

Agreed..hated the McDyess trade!!

Your favorite/ most hated Knicks trades of all time

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy