[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

DSJ/Frank/Mudiay/ Kyrie or Kemba? Something obviously has to give.
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

2/6/2019  2:30 PM

It could well be the case that Mudiay cannot fetch more than late second, as every other team now knows we cannot hold onto him, DSJ and go after any max FAs

Similarly, DSJ will not want to play backup to Kyrie or Kemba. He's too competitive. So do they ship him before the drama

Then you have the issue of Frank and what do you do with him, if you're in love with DSJ or Mud or Kyrie or Kemba

So what will the FO do?

Theory 1: FO made a messy situation messier and we get nothing for Mud, and we piss off DSJ and ship him, if we get one of the K's
Theory 2: FO wants no part of pg K's and is perhaps focused on other Ks, e.g., a Kawhi and Klay pairing, to go with whichever current roster pg they truly like

Other theories?

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/6/2019  2:40 PM
We’ll try to trade mud at the deadline, if we can’t move him, we’ll end up renouncing him in the offseason as we have to to clear up the space for 2 max cats.

Likely if we keep Frank (likely unless we get an intriguing offer for another player on a rookie contract, which I don’t see happening), we spend the rest of the season getting him used to his role for next year- playing back up PG, SG and occasional SF.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/6/2019  3:04 PM
I would try to flip Mudiay. If we can turn a second into a first or two seconds, well hey, I'll take it

Other than that, no sense in planning it out just yet. We needed a point but now I don't really think so, but I'd still take Kyrie. Maybe something crazy happens like Klay and Kawhi decide to come here. Maybe no one comes. Who knows so no sense in tearing it all down just yet

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/6/2019  3:05 PM
I think the front office has lost faith in Mudiay and Frank. Smith is the only priority at PG now, and is essentially the backup plan to Kyrie. If we get Kyrie, it doesn't mean Smith is gone. He would be an excellent 6th man and get his minutes, but long-term i don't think it's realistic to keep him if we have Kyrie. We will see.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/6/2019  3:08 PM
If you must, let him walk.
Good teams don't look for value to cover their asses. Things change Quickly.
Trier happened. Smith Happened.
Mud might have to wait until back end of free agency.
Frank on rookie deal and his skill set might be seen as complementary to smith, kyrie or kemba. More so than Mudiay.
Smith plays well, you have a very good asset to trade.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/6/2019  3:10 PM
Knixkik wrote:I think the front office has lost faith in Mudiay and Frank. Smith is the only priority at PG now, and is essentially the backup plan to Kyrie. If we get Kyrie, it doesn't mean Smith is gone. He would be an excellent 6th man and get his minutes, but long-term i don't think it's realistic to keep him if we have Kyrie. We will see.
Don’t agree. In fact BOTH mills and Fizdale said that playing smith and frank was a real attraction to them
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/6/2019  3:37 PM
Mudiay is done here. He is an expiring and we own his QO. They will need to renounce it for the 2 max slots to happen. Frank and DSJr are both under their rookie contracts. They will try to move one of them if they get Kyrie. One will be a backup.

However, I really want to see DSJr and Frank together in the backcourt. If they click then I am going hard to get KD and Kawhi.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/6/2019  3:46 PM
Nalod wrote:If you must, let him walk.
Good teams don't look for value to cover their asses. Things change Quickly.
Trier happened. Smith Happened.
Mud might have to wait until back end of free agency.
Frank on rookie deal and his skill set might be seen as complementary to smith, kyrie or kemba. More so than Mudiay.
Smith plays well, you have a very good asset to trade.

Exactly. Don't get attached to any of these guys, especially if those rumors come to fruition. We would need to fill out the roster quickly at that point. Honestly, I think Mudiay will have to prove it another year before anyone signs him to a real deal. He might be the one to come back while Frank and DSJ are moved in deals to balance out the roster. My idealized version of Frank's future might make him the better fit. But, even as bad as he's been on offense, Frank has higher trade value than Mudiay. I don't see DSJ wanting to wait behind a vet and I could see him forcing a trade. Plus he has the highest trade value right now. Anyway, there is no need to worry about this now. Too many things have to play out before we even get to that point.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
USA
2/6/2019  3:52 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:I think the front office has lost faith in Mudiay and Frank. Smith is the only priority at PG now, and is essentially the backup plan to Kyrie. If we get Kyrie, it doesn't mean Smith is gone. He would be an excellent 6th man and get his minutes, but long-term i don't think it's realistic to keep him if we have Kyrie. We will see.
Don’t agree. In fact BOTH mills and Fizdale said that playing smith and frank was a real attraction to them

Maybe for some stretches, but it definitely feels like something they are just saying because Frank is still on the roster. Neither player can shoot consistently from the outside, so in today's game they are already a terrible combination just on that alone. And we now know Frank will never start at PG here again. I think they have essentially lost faith in him developing into anything other than a backup combo guard.

Knixkik
USA
2/6/2019  3:53 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Mudiay is done here. He is an expiring and we own his QO. They will need to renounce it for the 2 max slots to happen. Frank and DSJr are both under their rookie contracts. They will try to move one of them if they get Kyrie. One will be a backup.

However, I really want to see DSJr and Frank together in the backcourt. If they click then I am going hard to get KD and Kawhi.

It can't work with the lack of shooting between them. We need at least one of those backcourt spots to have a consistent 3pt threat.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/6/2019  3:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2019  3:59 PM
Knixkik wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Maybe for some stretches, but it definitely feels like something they are just saying because Frank is still on the roster. Neither player can shoot consistently from the outside, so in today's game they are already a terrible combination just on that alone. And we now know Frank will never start at PG here again. I think they have essentially lost faith in him developing into anything other than a backup combo guard.

I don’t think they have lost faith in him. He was starting to play well until the injury. I’m not opposed to trading him if we are getting back something good but they aren’t just dumping him to add a little more salary relief
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/6/2019  4:01 PM
Chandler wrote:
It could well be the case that Mudiay cannot fetch more than late second, as every other team now knows we cannot hold onto him, DSJ and go after any max FAs

Similarly, DSJ will not want to play backup to Kyrie or Kemba. He's too competitive. So do they ship him before the drama

Then you have the issue of Frank and what do you do with him, if you're in love with DSJ or Mud or Kyrie or Kemba

So what will the FO do?

Theory 1: FO made a messy situation messier and we get nothing for Mud, and we piss off DSJ and ship him, if we get one of the K's
Theory 2: FO wants no part of pg K's and is perhaps focused on other Ks, e.g., a Kawhi and Klay pairing, to go with whichever current roster pg they truly like

Other theories?

I disagree with both theories. I am not sure that the Knicks could get anything for Mud because his cap hold next year is 12 mil. No one is keeping him for that despite the improvements in his game. I don’t know that he is worth a second to have for 30 games. I also think the front office decided a long time ago that Frank’s offensive game is very far away from that of a starting point guard. I think the KP trade saved Frank from being moved to save cap space but I also think the long term expectations for Frank are lowered since the draft and he could be moved at anytime. I think the front office really likes Smith. The Knicks were rumored to be pursuing him back in December. I also think that they woukd jump at the chance to get Kyrie and figure out what to do with Smith later. Mudiay will not be back and Frank maybe moved if the right offer to make the team better is there.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/6/2019  4:03 PM
Why does anyone think Mudiay has trade value? Even for like a top 55 protected pick?

Dude is going to be an UFA heading to China soon and do we really think a PLAYOFF team wants him and is will to give up some sort of pick?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Chandler

2/6/2019  4:08 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Mudiay is done here. He is an expiring and we own his QO. They will need to renounce it for the 2 max slots to happen. Frank and DSJr are both under their rookie contracts. They will try to move one of them if they get Kyrie. One will be a backup.

I don't see that happening. Didn't KD talk smack about Kawhi once or twice -- system player etc.

Having said that, that would be a pretty nice set of forwards

(5)(5)
homeskillitprigioni
Member: #4507

2/6/2019  4:13 PM
I guess the best way to put it is nobody on this team is good enough to where we should change any strategy of who to get this summer. We should be trying to get the best duo possible and then we can always mess with the other parts. No way any of those guys should deter from Kyrie/Kemba either.
Chandler

2/6/2019  4:14 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Chandler wrote:

So what will the FO do?

Other theories?

I disagree with both theories. I am not sure that the Knicks could get anything for Mud because his cap hold next year is 12 mil. No one is keeping him for that despite the improvements in his game. I don’t know that he is worth a second to have for 30 games. I also think the front office decided a long time ago that Frank’s offensive game is very far away from that of a starting point guard. I think the KP trade saved Frank from being moved to save cap space but I also think the long term expectations for Frank are lowered since the draft and he could be moved at anytime. I think the front office really likes Smith. The Knicks were rumored to be pursuing him back in December. I also think that they woukd jump at the chance to get Kyrie and figure out what to do with Smith later. Mudiay will not be back and Frank maybe moved if the right offer to make the team better is there.

not to quibble or put words in your mouth, but it seems like you are foreseeing theory 1 perhaps with the caveat that you're on the fence of whether Smith would be a backup??

(5)(5)
Chandler

2/6/2019  4:19 PM
martin wrote:Why does anyone think Mudiay has trade value? Even for like a top 55 protected pick?

Dude is going to be an UFA heading to China soon and do we really think a PLAYOFF team wants him and is will to give up some sort of pick?

I can easily see this happening

Which gets back to something I said way at the beginning of the season: why are we developing a bunch of guys on their last year. If the guys stinks, we wasted our time (opportunity cost over developing guys still under more favorable contracts, e.g., Frank); and if we were successful (e.g., if you thought Mud's improved EFG% qualifies) we get "rewarded" with a higher contract demand.

Having said all of that, we do have quite the logjam now and that doesn't include the notion of drafting a pg

(5)(5)
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/6/2019  4:24 PM
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Chandler wrote:

So what will the FO do?

Other theories?

not to quibble or put words in your mouth, but it seems like you are foreseeing theory 1 perhaps with the caveat that you're on the fence of whether Smith would be a backup??

I dont think it is a messy situation. I think they really wanted Smith. They might see Smith as their guy rather than committing max money to Kemba. I think if KD comes they will sign Kyrie if he is available. I almost think getting a second star would have to be in play for KD to come. I think the job is Smith’s now and maybe the Knicks build up his trade value in the event they get Kyrie. I don’t think the Knicks saw Mud or Frank as the starting point they want to go with in the future. I think Mud is gone after the season and Frank is gone if the right opportunity presents itself.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
2/6/2019  5:35 PM
IMO, everyone on this list can be traded. All have some potential, but I'd part with any for the right price. DSJ and frank are on rookie contracts, so have more value than mudiay. I dont want Kemba for the max. Nice player but he'll be a bad contract we have to get rid of down the road. If you dont get Kyrie, there's room for mudiay and DSJ at point and Frank as a SG among Dot and Trier.
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
2/6/2019  5:39 PM
martin wrote:Why does anyone think Mudiay has trade value? Even for like a top 55 protected pick?

He was worth a 2nd round pick when we got him and has exceeded expectations. He probably won't ever start on a good team but he be good to have as a backup PG for sure

DSJ/Frank/Mudiay/ Kyrie or Kemba? Something obviously has to give.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy