knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/6/2019  10:13 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Didn't watch the game, but 11-25 shooting is ugly. I'm missing a lot of context, but was it case where he was the only who could get off and the game dictated he throw up all kinds of crazy shots? Knox, Matthews and Dot also had putrid lines as well, so that very well could've been the case. How did Iso-Zo look next to DSJ?

He was 10-20 until around the 4th.

He is gonna be the featured player go to guy for the rest of the season as expected. Which is great in terms of building his value(just in case things happen).

We will have the rest of the season to evaluate him.

Which included a half court shot with half running out and 3 blocked shots. Weird how the same guys that touted a 5 and 5 game from Frank all of sudden have higher expectations for Smith?

What do you think will happen with frank, he is clearly expendable now.

First it was Burke, then Mudiay, Now DSJ, and their #1 target is Kyrie...

clearly I don't think they see frank as their future PG..

I know the knicks prefer to nab a first rounder if he's traded, but they way we shoot bricks, i would be looking at trying to get some shooters,

ES
AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/6/2019  10:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2019  11:18 AM
Welpee wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platform/amp/2019/2/2/18206290/the-unexpected-path-of-dennis-smith-jr-kristaps-porzingis-mavericks-nba-trade-deadline

Chemistry was an issue. Sometimes it just doesnt work out. Dont believe this is a situation where one side is to blame. Doncic is already one of the best P&R players in the league. Not that big a surprise that the focus had shifted to Doncic. Wether or not Smith jr. was pitch perfect, the lack of chemistry on the court made a change inevitable.

If Smith jr doesnt stick, dont believe its going to be because of his personality. More about what he does to round out his game. Im pretty sure he's got a huge chip on his shoulder at this point over this. Lets see how he responds.

You could be right about chemistry. Look ive made it known that im not a huge DSJ fan but there is no question he has offensive ability and is still very young. If we can somehow get him to work more on distribution and at least a little defense it could be a lot of fun.

I think this will turn out badly, but I'll still take Smith Jr's cost controlled contract over Mudiay. If we have to have one dimensional chuckers then I would want the least expensive and youngest one. Hoping he can be taught to play the right way but ZERO confidence in Fiz's ability to do so especially after a great caoch like Carlisle couldn't.

Carlisle was tough on Smith jr. characteristically tough. Never read anything about Carlisle suggesting that he was a problem. Believe Carlisle is too proud to apologize to Smith jr, if he didnt believe he could have handled the transition to Doncic better.

Smith jr was starting from day one, didnt get to ease into learning how to be a starting PG in the NBA.

NY will give Smithjr a great opportunity to run a team. Already has some experience to learn from. Not predicting anything, just glad he's here for the opportunity.

The idea that an accomplished coach has to apologize to an entitled 19 yr old, is why the NBA is falling apart at the seams. Opportunity wasn't lacking discipline was. Discipline more than talent is needed to succeed in the NBA. You can make it to the NBA on talent alone, because you now play only one year in college and may not have major weaknesses in your game exposed. Once you get here it's a different game and everyone elese is also faster, stronger and in a few cases smarter. A coach like Carlisle would have made him great if he had put in the effort sincerely opn both ends of teh floor. Fiz won't make him better, but may lead him to more highlight reels and short term foolishness.

Who says Carlisle didnt want to apologize? Who says Carlisle didnt do anything worth apologizing for? You are putting whatever happened on a kid, and giving mgmt, coaching, a complete pass. Carlisle took responsibility for not handling the situation the best way he could. Players dont respect coaches, organizations who pass the buck. Shows a lack of character to let a kid believe its all on him.

Carlisle is one of the toughest coaches to play for in NBA history. He's admitted that sometimes he doesnt get it right. Remember that huge dustup he got into with Rondo? Championship winning PG? Dont remember Carlisle apologizing for that.

Im old school as well. Never did buy into the idea that if a coach f's up somehow, he's supposed to act like he did nothing wrong, pin it on his players. Treating players with respect doesnt make them "entitled".

Frank was brought along gradually, which was the right thing to do. If he had been thrust into the starting job from day one, I doubt he would have performed as well. Wasnt ready. Just because Smith jr. didnt figure it all out his rookie year, doesnt mean he cant excel. You are writing the kid's epitath before he has played game one for the Knicks.

He was supplanted by one of the best rookies to come around in years, with a very brief chance to make it work. Glad that Dallas isnt the last opportunity that he will ever get in this league. Smith is an amazing athlete who has to learn to combine his athleticism, with a more well rounded game.

Glad he's getting the chance in NY to prove he can run a team long term. Havent seen anyone on the Knicks yet wbo has shown he can for more than a handful of games. You should welcome the competition.

Wait what?

Ok so why don't you explain what happened and how Carlisle ****ed up? And what he did that required apologizing? Do you realize Dennis Smith intentionally ignored plays that were being called for him because he was upset at losing his starting job to a player light years better than him? That's not entitled behavior from a fukking 19 or old?

Keep off the hyperbole.

When was this? The second they saw what they had with Doncic, it looks like they were falling over themselves to turn the team over to him. Making a transition to Doncic as the focal point of the offense, was the right thing to do. The way the way they went about doing that might have been badly handled. Smith jr. a few months earlier was being groomed as the PG/Floor general of the future, and like that its gone. Dont believe its hyperbole to say that Carlisle may have been too business like about it, and not factoring in Smith jr's age, and what he was told not long ago.

As far as hyperbole "one dimensional chucker" isnt exactly in depth analysis. Believe you're being a bit hasty here. And I cant get a refund on the DSJ uniform I bought you!

Everybody he doesn't like gets labeled "one dimensional chucker."

No just that the Knicks are the rehabilitation center for the ones that actually are one dimensional chuckers. Melo, Rose, THJR, Mudiay, Burke, Smith is an endless list of them. It's a disease

Which is a list similar to one you can probably formulate with any team not named the Warriors.

Eraser boy/Linshouldcum with the agenda. Pushing the "he ignored plays" like it came from the coaches mouth. It came from a blogger who mentioned a scout he was interviewing that thought this may have happened. But yeah, eraser boy makes it so. Carlisle apologized for not handling the transition of Doncic as main ball handler better. Dumbass also claims Smith Jr. lost his starting job. Yet doesn't realize this never happened (as Smith went out due to injury) nor does Doncic play the point guard position. So how did he lose his job to Doncic. If your gonna post 24/7 and use up moms data, at least post some truth.

This was a case of a franchise changing directions. They touted Smith the previous year as the face of the franchise. They then lucked out and got essentially the number ONE pick who they think is a better player. Smith saw and probably was told he would no longer be the focal point. But people blame him for wanting a better situation? GTFOH. Same people that make all the excuses for KP and how the team did everything for him only to have him want to move on.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

2/6/2019  12:22 PM
Im skeptical about DSJ (and still like Frank) but have to agree the stats were a bit misleading. He was quite efficient until he started to press in an effort to catch up

There were a number of plays where the game looked real easy for him, to the rim under control etc. Those were nice to see

There were a handful of shots which were just downright fugly, where I was like, is this the same player

Big question for the front office: this kid will not want to play back-up. If Kyrie is the guy, they need to get rid of him at some point

(5)(5)
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
2/6/2019  12:42 PM
In any case, 11/25 is still a solid 44% FG%. It's a lot of shots and ideally he'd have gotten to the line more... but you know... ref's. Can't make 'em blow whistles.

One of things I haven't seen mentioned much is that we have an instant contender for the dunking contest during all star weekend. Very cool.

Maybe we'll go after one of the players in the 3pt shooting contest too.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
2/6/2019  12:46 PM
There is no room for Mudiay on this team when we have a younger, better version
Cartman718
Member: #1694

2/6/2019  12:52 PM
technomaster wrote:In any case, 11/25 is still a solid 44% FG%. It's a lot of shots and ideally he'd have gotten to the line more... but you know... ref's. Can't make 'em blow whistles.

One of things I haven't seen mentioned much is that we have an instant contender for the dunking contest during all star weekend. Very cool.

Sure blame the refs. Click on points on this table and then look at FGM/FGA.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5467/gamelog
Last time Mudiay hit 25 pts, it was on 18 shots, not 25 pts on 25 shots. i.e....when Mudiay saw he's having a bad shooting game, he didn't just continue jacking it up for the most part.

for the season, DSJr is still less than Mudiay in shooting percentage, and he didn't have the pressure of running the offense....that was Doncic. If Mudiay started jacking up 25 shots to get to 25 points, people here would be singing his praises...much like DSJr.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/6/2019  1:11 PM
anrst wrote:There is no room for Mudiay on this team when we have a younger, better version
plus mudiay is up for a pay raise
knicks1248
2/6/2019  1:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2019  1:34 PM
anrst wrote:There is no room for Mudiay on this team when we have a younger, better version

mudiay is like 14 months older, you mind as well be honest and just say you don't like him, instead of reaching for some irrelevant stat.

Mudiay who be a nice back up to DSJ or kyrie..DSJ is going to bitch if he's not starting

ES
homeskillitprigioni
Member: #4507

2/6/2019  1:39 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Didn't watch the game, but 11-25 shooting is ugly. I'm missing a lot of context, but was it case where he was the only who could get off and the game dictated he throw up all kinds of crazy shots? Knox, Matthews and Dot also had putrid lines as well, so that very well could've been the case. How did Iso-Zo look next to DSJ?

He is gonna be the featured player go to guy for the rest of the season as expected. Which is great in terms of building his value(just in case things happen).

I think that's the key. Build that value if we can by making him the feature guy and hope somebody bites this summer.

knicks1248
2/6/2019  1:53 PM
homeskillitprigioni wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I think that's the key. Build that value if we can by making him the feature guy and hope somebody bites this summer.

In other words, hope he plays really well, then get rid of him..

but i gotta asked...why would you get rid of a guy playing really well for you?

ES
homeskillitprigioni
Member: #4507

2/6/2019  2:07 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

It depends on the context. Is he playing "well" in a role that's not going to be there for him if we sign 2 max's and have our top draft pick and Knox in his 2nd year? We already saw it's a problem when that's taken away from him, even if it's done by a better player. And really even if we don't get the max's...is he the kind of player you can go far with if he's the featured player offensively?

Those are the kinds of things I'd be looking at with him. My thoughts on his first 1.5+ years based on what's happened is this isn't going to be a long-term fit if we have designs on becoming an actual championship contender. To me that's always the endgame when I look at a fit for a player.

smackeddog
Member: #883
2/6/2019  2:33 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
plus mudiay is up for a pay raise

Correct, we can’t afford him (need to renounce to free up the 2 max spots), unless we have him the room exception, which would make no sense as that’s the only thing we have to fill out the roster.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/6/2019  3:04 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Kyrie.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/6/2019  4:13 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Which included a half court shot with half running out and 3 blocked shots. Weird how the same guys that touted a 5 and 5 game from Frank all of sudden have higher expectations for Smith?

What do you think will happen with frank, he is clearly expendable now.

First it was Burke, then Mudiay, Now DSJ, and their #1 target is Kyrie...

clearly I don't think they see frank as their future PG..

I know the knicks prefer to nab a first rounder if he's traded, but they way we shoot bricks, i would be looking at trying to get some shooters,

It sounds like he was close to being traded to the Magic with Lee before KP made his trade demand. I think the expectations for him on offense are low and that he will be a Knick unless an offer comes along that improves the team. I don’t think the front office is committed to Frank.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
2/6/2019  5:29 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
technomaster wrote:In any case, 11/25 is still a solid 44% FG%. It's a lot of shots and ideally he'd have gotten to the line more... but you know... ref's. Can't make 'em blow whistles.

Sure blame the refs. Click on points on this table and then look at FGM/FGA.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5467/gamelog
Last time Mudiay hit 25 pts, it was on 18 shots, not 25 pts on 25 shots. i.e....when Mudiay saw he's having a bad shooting game, he didn't just continue jacking it up for the most part.

for the season, DSJr is still less than Mudiay in shooting percentage, and he didn't have the pressure of running the offense....that was Doncic. If Mudiay started jacking up 25 shots to get to 25 points, people here would be singing his praises...much like DSJr.

DSJ is a teenager. And his shooting has improved and probably will continue to. 44% isn't bad. We've certainly tolerated less from tim Hardaway. At one point he was like 11 for 22. Fact is he looked good and had some sharp passes. Encouraging for a prospect, but if you hate him you hold him to the standard of a 10 year starter.

CrushAlot
USA
2/6/2019  7:01 PM

Smith penetrates and gets the ball out to shooters. If the Knicks add shooters he will be getting a lot more assists.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/6/2019  7:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2019  7:54 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

mudiay is like 14 months older, you mind as well be honest and just say you don't like him, instead of reaching for some irrelevant stat.

Mudiay who be a nice back up to DSJ or kyrie..DSJ is going to bitch if he's not starting

We need to get rid of both these idiots. Don't need someone who is too good to come off the bench. And they couldn't guard anyone if their lives depend on it.

6 assists and 4 turnovers - And people are jumping up and down.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
USA
2/6/2019  8:00 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

We need to get rid of both these idiots. Don't need someone who is too good to come off the bench. And they couldn't guard anyone if their lives depend on it.

6 assists and 4 turnovers - And people are jumping up and down.

If you watched the game you would know Smith was setting guys up for open shots. He should have had more assists. It was a game that definitely needs to be judged by the eye test. Surprised by some of the box score observations I have read.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/6/2019  11:57 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

It could mean many things. It could mean a high quality player back for Smith if Durant wanted to come here with Kyrie. Or Smith could be a player that Durant or Kwahi acknowledge (if he balls out for the rest of the season) and decide they are comfortable playing with him.

Either way he needs to ball out for the rest of the season for the Knicks to potentially reap either reward.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
2/7/2019  12:14 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:As with Frank, lets be patient. SMith is 20 years old. Frank is 19. Wall did not develop a jumper for 5 years in the NBA and it is still not the best. Both of these kids show enough, IMO that we don't need or want KYRIE. Yes, he is good and yes he is better than both of them BUT I'd rather see NY get the talent at the 2/3/4/ positions in the FA and draft.

The draft is the wild card right now. UNtil we know who the pick is, I dont think you can focus your FA on any particular player beside KD. I think he is a given no mattter who is chosen. If NY gets JA do we really need Kyrie? No. Maybe DSjr is a 2 not a 1. Maybe Frank is the PG needed for a team full of guys who need the ball.

Accumulating talent is a good thing via the draft but FA should be about filling needs. This team is well positioned but the exact direction cannot be set yet.

I believe the bolded part. While 25 shots is a bit much, We need to get used to the fact that new breed PG's are scoring alot. We arent used to seeing it because this team has really tried to stay true to the old fashioned PG position since Steph left, but guys like Lillard, Steph, Wall, Rose, hell even Donovan Mitchell (who came into the league as PG), they score a lot, which means they shoot alot.

~You can't run from who you are.~
Dennis Smith Jr

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy