Dennis Smith Jr
Author Thread
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/5/2019  10:17 PM
JamesKPolk wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Saw a dynamic PG tonight, who got teammates involved. Multi-dimensional.

He's done these things with Dallas.

He doesn't have good vision for a guard and he's a bad shooter and defender. He can have a career as a good backup/6th man but don't expect anything more and don't be fooled by big numbers on the worst team in the NBA.

And here is kinda why I would love to see Mudiay and Smith in the back court together - I think Mudiay has better vision, a better sense of how to run the offense. DSjr is a scoring guard- we should use him as such.

And then have Frank and Dotson sub in for both.

I'd be happy with those 4 heading into next season if we can add scoring punch in FA, and a top 4 talent in the draft.

AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/5/2019  10:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/5/2019  10:31 PM
JamesKPolk wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Saw a dynamic PG tonight, who got teammates involved. Multi-dimensional.

He doesn't have good vision for a guard and he's a bad shooter and defender. He can have a career as a good backup/6th man but don't expect anything more and don't be fooled by big numbers on the worst team in the NBA.

Posted a link a few pages back that brought up a couple.of good pts. Dallas.wasnt better defensively when DSJ wasnt on the floor. And he hasn never had the kind of 3pt shooting teammates (or in college) who would stretch the floor, would register more assists.

Cant really tell where Smith jr. is headed until he has more reliable players to pass to, and has been part of a more stable roster. Lots of turnover, lots of teamates who cant shoot. Too early to call it. Has shown enough to be patient.

Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

2/5/2019  10:20 PM
franco12 wrote:
JamesKPolk wrote:

And here is kinda why I would love to see Mudiay and Smith in the back court together - I think Mudiay has better vision, a better sense of how to run the offense. DSjr is a scoring guard- we should use him as such.

I'd be happy with those 4 heading into next season if we can add scoring punch in FA, and a top 4 talent in the draft.

Mudiay and DSJr in the backcourt is asking for trouble defensively. Can have one bad defender, not two
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/5/2019  10:54 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/5/2019  11:55 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Didn't watch the game, but 11-25 shooting is ugly. I'm missing a lot of context, but was it case where he was the only who could get off and the game dictated he throw up all kinds of crazy shots? Knox, Matthews and Dot also had putrid lines as well, so that very well could've been the case. How did Iso-Zo look next to DSJ?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Juliano
Member: #7589

2/6/2019  4:54 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:Didn't watch the game, but 11-25 shooting is ugly.

It's not great, but not that bad. 9-16 for 2s is 56.25% which is rather good, it's the 3pts that let him down with 2-9 so 22.22%. I didn't watch the game, he may have taken too many contested 3s?

Juliano
Member: #7589

2/6/2019  5:06 AM
EDIT - Just watched some highlights and he mostly scored layups so yes, lots of room for improvement on his shoot.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
2/6/2019  6:36 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Didn't watch the game, but 11-25 shooting is ugly. I'm missing a lot of context, but was it case where he was the only who could get off and the game dictated he throw up all kinds of crazy shots? Knox, Matthews and Dot also had putrid lines as well, so that very well could've been the case. How did Iso-Zo look next to DSJ?

He was 10-20 until around the 4th.

He is gonna be the featured player go to guy for the rest of the season as expected. Which is great in terms of building his value(just in case things happen).

We will have the rest of the season to evaluate him.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/6/2019  6:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2019  6:55 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
franco12 wrote:
JamesKPolk wrote:

Mudiay and DSJr in the backcourt is asking for trouble defensively. Can have one bad defender, not two

If Frank gets an elite jump shot he would be the ideal backcourt partner for one of these ball dominant combo guards. The problem is right now its putrid.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/6/2019  7:21 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
franco12 wrote:
JamesKPolk wrote:

If Frank gets an elite jump shot he would be the ideal backcourt partner for one of these ball dominant combo guards. The problem is right now its putrid.

Elite = Steph Curry. That’s asking a lot out of just about everyone. Lets aim for reliable for starters.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/6/2019  8:00 AM
LEts extrapolate his career in one night? He was tired maybe, nervous? NEw team? New players? Kid is 20 freaking years old and starting for a new team yet alone in MSG?

Defense when athletically gifted can be taught. Fiz should focus on trying a chemistry with Frank and Smith the rest of the year.

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/6/2019  8:14 AM
I actually agree with knicks1248 that it’s not good to let players develop bad habits but I watched a good portion of the game and Dennis was not jacking up shots. He just needs to develop consistency on his shot. Otherwise, ge didn’t play bad at all. Don’t be scared off by the 11-25. Let him be the focal point the next 29, 30, 31 games. I care about that and I care about Jordan being a great mwntor to Mitch. I think those two things will make the rest of this season tolerable. Hopefully it doesn’t add extra wins. 😢
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
knicks1248
Member: #582
2/6/2019  9:03 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:I actually agree with knicks1248 that it’s not good to let players develop bad habits but I watched a good portion of the game and Dennis was not jacking up shots. He just needs to develop consistency on his shot. Otherwise, ge didn’t play bad at all. Don’t be scared off by the 11-25. Let him be the focal point the next 29, 30, 31 games. I care about that and I care about Jordan being a great mwntor to Mitch. I think those two things will make the rest of this season tolerable. Hopefully it doesn’t add extra wins. 😢

I like a scoring PG, but 25 shots is a bit much for any position unless your on fire. Fiz gives guys the freedom to them, and that's fine if you have discipline, High IQ, experience players.

I see the bad habits from everyone that just won't go away, and they won't until you put a slew of discipline, High IQ, experience players around tthe DSJ, knox, trier, mitch, frank. THATS WHY THE SPURS YOUNG PLAYERS DEVELOP FASTER THAN MOST

The losing takes an extreme toll on young players, and those bad habits become harder and harder to break(SEE MARIO, MUDIAY, FRANk), especially when you have a coach that lets you play through them for the most part.

Now, would you feel about a Back court of kyrie/DSJ?

ES
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/6/2019  9:25 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:I actually agree with knicks1248 that it’s not good to let players develop bad habits but I watched a good portion of the game and Dennis was not jacking up shots. He just needs to develop consistency on his shot. Otherwise, ge didn’t play bad at all. Don’t be scared off by the 11-25. Let him be the focal point the next 29, 30, 31 games. I care about that and I care about Jordan being a great mwntor to Mitch. I think those two things will make the rest of this season tolerable. Hopefully it doesn’t add extra wins. 😢
I think its fair that Fiz may give too much freedom when it comes to shot selection. On the other hand I think him showing confidence in them is a big plus going forward. I think Fiz just needs to find a balance
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/6/2019  9:52 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

I like a scoring PG, but 25 shots is a bit much for any position unless your on fire. Fiz gives guys the freedom to them, and that's fine if you have discipline, High IQ, experience players.

I see the bad habits from everyone that just won't go away, and they won't until you put a slew of discipline, High IQ, experience players around tthe DSJ, knox, trier, mitch, frank. THATS WHY THE SPURS YOUNG PLAYERS DEVELOP FASTER THAN MOST

The losing takes an extreme toll on young players, and those bad habits become harder and harder to break(SEE MARIO, MUDIAY, FRANk), especially when you have a coach that lets you play through them for the most part.

Now, would you feel about a Back court of kyrie/DSJ?

You may not agree with the plan. But I believe they have gone into the season locked in on tanking for Zion or Barret. With Zion emerging as that cream of the crop.l prospect.

Right now they are more focused on preseving cap, high lotto pick, and getting young players as much time as possible. Only time will tell if this will have long term effects on the players. But personally I don't believe so. I've seen to many player change locations and become contributors where their "bad habits" became less obvious.

I believe there will be a change in mentality next season with no real desire to tank. They will be opportunistic to aquire young proven veteran players. This whole season was mostly about putting the Knicks in position to do so. And going forward anyone of these young players could be moved. Next season will be focused on actually building the team they want to be.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
2/6/2019  9:53 AM
As with Frank, lets be patient. SMith is 20 years old. Frank is 19. Wall did not develop a jumper for 5 years in the NBA and it is still not the best. Both of these kids show enough, IMO that we don't need or want KYRIE. Yes, he is good and yes he is better than both of them BUT I'd rather see NY get the talent at the 2/3/4/ positions in the FA and draft.

The draft is the wild card right now. UNtil we know who the pick is, I dont think you can focus your FA on any particular player beside KD. I think he is a given no mattter who is chosen. If NY gets JA do we really need Kyrie? No. Maybe DSjr is a 2 not a 1. Maybe Frank is the PG needed for a team full of guys who need the ball.

Accumulating talent is a good thing via the draft but FA should be about filling needs. This team is well positioned but the exact direction cannot be set yet.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/6/2019  9:59 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He is gonna be the featured player go to guy for the rest of the season as expected. Which is great in terms of building his value(just in case things happen).

Which included a half court shot with half running out and 3 blocked shots. Weird how the same guys that touted a 5 and 5 game from Frank all of sudden have higher expectations for Smith?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/6/2019  10:04 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Which included a half court shot with half running out and 3 blocked shots. Weird how the same guys that touted a 5 and 5 game from Frank all of sudden have higher expectations for Smith?

Thank you for posting this. At work and can’t respond but that was my same reaction. That half court shot was almost good.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/6/2019  10:05 AM

Agree. Kid took like 3 bad shots. Don't consider driving to the basket aggressively and getting blocked or missing the lay up as a bad shot. His straight up defense was quite good. Moved his feet well and made it hard for a direct drive on most of them. He does need to learn when to go under and over picks. But this can be learned. His outside shot has a hitch at the top and ruins fluidity. That can be worked on as well. Think what everyone is missing is how this kid, at such a young age, has loads of physical ability and confidence. Things you cant teach. The hyenas with there own agenda will make it seem as he is already a washed up Starbury.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/6/2019  10:12 AM
Kid just got traded, big start in MSG a few bad shots and we jumping on his shyt already?
God awful injury depleted team and kid is labeled already?
Fiz develops these guys individually and is letting them play. I agree it can't go on for years on end as it won't add up but we just traded Burke,Hardaway and Clee, Frank and Mud are out. That's 5 back court players. Fiz didn't enable smith based on trust and faith! His bench is short!!!!
Dennis Smith Jr

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy