[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dennis Smith Jr
Author Thread
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

2/3/2019  4:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/3/2019  4:10 PM
homeskillitprigioni wrote:This guy is the classic losing team starter. Terrible defensively even though he's an explosive athlete, does the old pound the rock for 10 seconds and chucks a contested long jumper, doesn't have great court vision, and doesn't look to have an adaptable game to potentially being a quality supporting player to 2 star players.

I think his ceiling is a quality 6th man but I don't think he's going to be amenable to that role for a few years.

I'd deal him after the season. I'm in the camp of trading for AD if possible and would want him to be a piece in that trade.

Davis wants the Lakers so giving up a King’s ransom for a rental is counterproductive
AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/3/2019  4:10 PM
homeskillitprigioni wrote:This guy is the classic losing team starter. Terrible defensively even though he's an explosive athlete, does the old pound the rock for 10 seconds and chucks a contested long jumper, doesn't have great court vision, and doesn't look to have an adaptable game to potentially being a quality supporting player to 2 star players.

I think his ceiling is a quality 6th man but I don't think he's going to be amenable to that role for a few years.

I'd deal him after the season. I'm in the camp of trading for AD if possible and would want him to be a piece in that trade.

Agree.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/3/2019  4:17 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Davis wants the Lakers so giving up a King’s ransom for a rental is counterproductive
DAvis is supposed to be very good friends with Kyrie. I think if the Knicks get Kyrie they have a shot at Davis.

Not sure why judgement is being passed on Smith after one game as a Knick without even having a practice. Fiz and his staff helped Mudiay a lot. Lets see what happens. Obviously the front office really likes Smith. They have been linked to him in trade rumors since December.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1

2/3/2019  4:20 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

DAvis is supposed to be very good friends with Kyrie. I think if the Knicks get Kyrie they have a shot at Davis.

Not sure why judgement is being passed on Smith after one game as a Knick without even having a practice. Fiz and his staff helped Mudiay a lot. Lets see what happens. Obviously the front office really likes Smith. They have been linked to him in trade rumors since December.

Maybe. I’m not passing judgment on Smith. I liked what I saw and said after the trade he gets a clean slate here
homeskillitprigioni
Member: #4507

2/3/2019  4:23 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Obviously a conversation about staying here would be part of it. The same rumor mills have the Knicks being a team he'd consider. And obviously that would help us a ton with Kyrie or any free agent. A tandem is the only way this is going to work, regardless. No single free agent is going to come here with this idea that "well, we might be able to get AD in FA next year". If you have AD in, that makes this so much easier. It's worth it to take that risk.

I thought the Thunder took the right risk with George even if he didn't come back and I think Toronto did the right thing with Kawhi, even if he doesn't come back. You've gotta take risks like that.

StarksEwing1

2/3/2019  4:24 PM
homeskillitprigioni wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Obviously a conversation about staying here would be part of it. The same rumor mills have the Knicks being a team he'd consider. And obviously that would help us a ton with Kyrie or any free agent. A tandem is the only way this is going to work, regardless. No single free agent is going to come here with this idea that "well, we might be able to get AD in FA next year". If you have AD in, that makes this so much easier. It's worth it to take that risk.

I thought the Thunder took the right risk with George even if he didn't come back and I think Toronto did the right thing with Kawhi, even if he doesn't come back. You've gotta take risks like that.

You can’t take risks that will cost 2-3 unprotected picks as well as other pieces for a rental
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
2/3/2019  4:43 PM

Let him get a practice in.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/3/2019  4:47 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Maybe. I’m not passing judgment on Smith. I liked what I saw and said after the trade he gets a clean slate here
I was responding to the poster ypu quoted.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1

2/3/2019  4:50 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

I was responding to the poster ypu quoted.
I know I just wanted to put it out there.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/3/2019  4:54 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

This!!! At the press conference, he said it was tough trying to run the show without a practice and not knowing the plays...He did mention Mudiay and Frank trying to help him out tell him what to look for on certain plays during the game.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/3/2019  5:07 PM
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

This!!! At the press conference, he said it was tough trying to run the show without a practice and not knowing the plays...He did mention Mudiay and Frank trying to help him out tell him what to look for on certain plays during the game.

Whats fair is fair. Putting any type of judgment toward him off this game wouldn't be. He didn't jock and he didn't do to much to impose his will. No real extremes one way or another for any lasting impressions

On the positive though he had that nice reverse layup to start the game and beautiful set up for Knox for the corner 3. Negative side got in foul trouble early and never found any rhythm or flow within the game.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/3/2019  5:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/3/2019  5:24 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Whats fair is fair. Putting any type of judgment toward him off this game wouldn't be. He didn't jock and he didn't do to much to impose his will. No real extremes one way or another for any lasting impressions

On the positive though he had that nice reverse layup to start the game and beautiful set up for Knox for the corner 3. Negative side got in foul trouble early and never found any rhythm or flow within the game.

Agree with your take. The times he was hesitating, Smith looked a little lost. Looked good in an uptempo offense. When he knows where his teammates will be, he makes some nice passes in transition. Can put some zip on the ball as well. Some encouraging things. Just one game.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/3/2019  7:06 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/platform/amp/2019/2/2/18206290/the-unexpected-path-of-dennis-smith-jr-kristaps-porzingis-mavericks-nba-trade-deadline

Chemistry was an issue. Sometimes it just doesnt work out. Dont believe this is a situation where one side is to blame. Doncic is already one of the best P&R players in the league. Not that big a surprise that the focus had shifted to Doncic. Wether or not Smith jr. was pitch perfect, the lack of chemistry on the court made a change inevitable.

If Smith jr doesnt stick, dont believe its going to be because of his personality. More about what he does to round out his game. Im pretty sure he's got a huge chip on his shoulder at this point over this. Lets see how he responds.

You could be right about chemistry. Look ive made it known that im not a huge DSJ fan but there is no question he has offensive ability and is still very young. If we can somehow get him to work more on distribution and at least a little defense it could be a lot of fun.

I think this will turn out badly, but I'll still take Smith Jr's cost controlled contract over Mudiay. If we have to have one dimensional chuckers then I would want the least expensive and youngest one. Hoping he can be taught to play the right way but ZERO confidence in Fiz's ability to do so especially after a great caoch like Carlisle couldn't.

Carlisle was tough on Smith jr. characteristically tough. Never read anything about Carlisle suggesting that he was a problem. Believe Carlisle is too proud to apologize to Smith jr, if he didnt believe he could have handled the transition to Doncic better.

Smith jr was starting from day one, didnt get to ease into learning how to be a starting PG in the NBA.

NY will give Smithjr a great opportunity to run a team. Already has some experience to learn from. Not predicting anything, just glad he's here for the opportunity.

The idea that an accomplished coach has to apologize to an entitled 19 yr old, is why the NBA is falling apart at the seams. Opportunity wasn't lacking discipline was. Discipline more than talent is needed to succeed in the NBA. You can make it to the NBA on talent alone, because you now play only one year in college and may not have major weaknesses in your game exposed. Once you get here it's a different game and everyone elese is also faster, stronger and in a few cases smarter. A coach like Carlisle would have made him great if he had put in the effort sincerely opn both ends of teh floor. Fiz won't make him better, but may lead him to more highlight reels and short term foolishness.

Who says Carlisle didnt want to apologize? Who says Carlisle didnt do anything worth apologizing for? You are putting whatever happened on a kid, and giving mgmt, coaching, a complete pass. Carlisle took responsibility for not handling the situation the best way he could. Players dont respect coaches, organizations who pass the buck. Shows a lack of character to let a kid believe its all on him.

Carlisle is one of the toughest coaches to play for in NBA history. He's admitted that sometimes he doesnt get it right. Remember that huge dustup he got into with Rondo? Championship winning PG? Dont remember Carlisle apologizing for that.

Im old school as well. Never did buy into the idea that if a coach f's up somehow, he's supposed to act like he did nothing wrong, pin it on his players. Treating players with respect doesnt make them "entitled".

Frank was brought along gradually, which was the right thing to do. If he had been thrust into the starting job from day one, I doubt he would have performed as well. Wasnt ready. Just because Smith jr. didnt figure it all out his rookie year, doesnt mean he cant excel. You are writing the kid's epitath before he has played game one for the Knicks.

He was supplanted by one of the best rookies to come around in years, with a very brief chance to make it work. Glad that Dallas isnt the last opportunity that he will ever get in this league. Smith is an amazing athlete who has to learn to combine his athleticism, with a more well rounded game.

Glad he's getting the chance in NY to prove he can run a team long term. Havent seen anyone on the Knicks yet wbo has shown he can for more than a handful of games. You should welcome the competition.

Wait what?

Ok so why don't you explain what happened and how Carlisle ****ed up? And what he did that required apologizing? Do you realize Dennis Smith intentionally ignored plays that were being called for him because he was upset at losing his starting job to a player light years better than him? That's not entitled behavior from a fukking 19 or old?

Keep off the hyperbole.

When was this? The second they saw what they had with Doncic, it looks like they were falling over themselves to turn the team over to him. Making a transition to Doncic as the focal point of the offense, was the right thing to do. The way the way they went about doing that might have been badly handledSmith jr. a few months earlier was being groomed as the PG/Floor general of the future, and like that its gone. Dont believe its hyperbole to say that Carlisle may have been too business like about it, and not factoring in Smith jr's age, and what he was told not long ago.
As far as hyperbole "one dimensional chucker" isnt exactly in depth analysis. Believe you're being a bit hasty here. And I cant get a refund on the DSJ uniform I bought you!

I asked you what did Carlisle do that needed apologizing for. Simple question. No answer. Why is handing the offense over to the better player considered ****ing up? You got nothing. He had a full season to show he could be a PG and he didn't. So yes he should accept taking a back seat till he is already able to show that he had the goods.And no shooting 14ppg isn't the criteria for being a PG, it requires passing and setting up the offense.

"He is very athletic, but he’s not a playmaker and not a great shooter," one front office executive told SN. "If you have money under the cap this offseason (the Suns and Magic will), there are other guys you can pursue who fit better, who can pass and score."

The third challenge is a very unusual one. It’s the situation itself, the very fact that a player just one-and-a-half years into his NBA career is already at a standstill with his organization. Smith has been sitting out for the last four games, with what’s being called a back issue, but he is clearly healthy.

The problem centers on Smith’s change in role with the addition of rookie Luka Doncic. Smith’s field-goal attempts have dropped from 14.8 per game to 10.6, and his usage rate has gone from 28.9 to 22.8. He has butted heads with Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle along the way.

A 21 year old whose best season was scoring 14 PPG and 4 assists with 3 TOs can't accept a lesser role in the team or lesser shot attempts. And you are happy he is here? Sounds about right.

I should welcome the competition????? You mean like this-

Smith jr. a few months earlier was being groomed as the PG/Floor general of the future, and like that its gone. Dont believe its hyperbole to say that Carlisle may have been too business like about it, and not factoring in Smith jr's age, and what he was told not long ago.

Keep the Jersey slick, you'll need something to wipe the stupid off your face in a season or two.

You want to carry on a conversation like a 12 year old, have at it. You always go there, no one insulted you. Not worth my time.

I said you would look stupid in 2 years. That was insulting like a 12 year old?
LMAO

Eraser boy. Guess Gustav has not figured out that you ARE not actually 12 years old but just have the intelect and temper of one. The Eraser boy hate begins. Eraser boy already using the limited brain power, selective sampling amd repetive tag lines to justify his hate. The ole "he cant play defense ". Never heard you say that before. Dumbass doesn't realize that one can say that about 90% of the players in the NBA. Smith did just fine today. Was quick as hell. Had very good court vision. Shot needs lots of work. His defense was better than expected. Not as bad as the hyenas are saying. Agree that he is no Frank but think that is a good thing as Frank has so many other issues., areas that need improvement. Smith showed more in one game, with a new team. than most of our other poimt guard tryouts showed this year. Including Frank. But eraser boy and his other alter egos trying to push the hate with same simple minded narrative. But Keep trying troll. Like your boy Trump knows, if you say something often enough, someone will eventually believe you. (Dont worry, I believe you about the thing you had with Lin)

Eraser boy Gonna have a tough time. Either we keep Smith or he gets replaced by Irving. Another guy who cant play defense. Maybe we EVEN get KD, and we all know he is horrible on D. I love it.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/3/2019  8:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/3/2019  8:37 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Even without a practice he was much better than Mudiay.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/3/2019  9:55 PM
Pairing of Frank and DSJr is very intriguing
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
2/4/2019  12:44 AM
DSJ Strengths:
Obviously the hops, but not just that the all around athleticism, he is super fast, his first step
is ridiculously fast. He gets into the lane easily, finishes well in a variety of ways around the rim, with contact and with either hand. Kicks out Strong passes to open shooters, and can find bigs for the lob. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. Just to be clear, he is already the best PG on our team, its not a discussion. His had a nice jump in 2p & 3p field goals over his rookie season.

DSJ weaknesses:
Jumpshot is inconsistent, can over dribble, and has too many turnovers, and can take bad shots. Alot of that comes from jumping in the air and making decisions while he floats. Defensive intensity is inconsistent, but has the tools to be a good defender. He played decent defense his first year.

Bottom line is if Fiz is the player development coach, DSJ should become an all-star talent because he has all of the tools. Decision making shooting and defense are his areas that need improvement.

GustavBahler

2/4/2019  3:40 PM
https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2019/2/4/18207553/know-the-new-knick-dennis-smith-jr

Thorough look at DSJ from college until now.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/4/2019  4:21 PM
DSjr is not a bad add. He looks like Marbury to me (young version). Really can get to the basket at will. His moves around the basket will improve. He doesnt show a lot of court vision but he could certainly be a drive and dish guy like Steph was (minus the vaseline)

There is plenty to like about having him for the next 30ish games. He should do really well under Fiz. At the very worst he could be a great pump and dump. He looks great and we move him for a complimentary piece next to Kyrie and KD.

Or maybe he actually blossoms into a better player here and is a key to the team getting better. Dude is 21 years old and has some pretty wild hops and skills. He's as unproven as Knox, Frank and Mitch but I think all 4 could be also be very good. Time will tell.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/4/2019  4:24 PM
fishmike wrote:DSjr is not a bad add. He looks like Marbury to me (young version). Really can get to the basket at will. His moves around the basket will improve. He doesnt show a lot of court vision but he could certainly be a drive and dish guy like Steph was (minus the vaseline)

There is plenty to like about having him for the next 30ish games. He should do really well under Fiz. At the very worst he could be a great pump and dump. He looks great and we move him for a complimentary piece next to Kyrie and KD.

Or maybe he actually blossoms into a better player here and is a key to the team getting better. Dude is 21 years old and has some pretty wild hops and skills. He's as unproven as Knox, Frank and Mitch but I think all 4 could be also be very good. Time will tell.

I think DSJ is an upgrade from Mudiay. DSJ is on his rookie deal. Mudiay is up for a raise and I think it's probably better to let him get paid elsewhere

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
GustavBahler

2/4/2019  4:42 PM
fishmike wrote:DSjr is not a bad add. He looks like Marbury to me (young version). Really can get to the basket at will. His moves around the basket will improve. He doesnt show a lot of court vision but he could certainly be a drive and dish guy like Steph was (minus the vaseline)

Might not see the floor like an elite PG right now, not predicting anything beyond that.
Smith jr. does know how to find an open teammate in a hurry, if he gets jammed up. Was doing that in transition against the Knicks, his last game. He knew his teammates.

When Smith jr learns where his teammates like the ball, we should see DSJ help push the tempo more. What you want to see in a young team. If Frank can start hitting his threes, Smith jr should find him, and Frank should have an easier time getting to the rim. Because they have to respect his perimeter game.

Dennis Smith Jr

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy