[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

KP About to go to Dallas
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/4/2019  8:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/4/2019  8:54 AM
http://si.com/nba/2019/02/01/knicks-trade-kristaps-porzingis-free-agency-kevin-durant-rumors

Thought the writer was being premature on Knox, but overall brings up some very good points.

AUTOADVERT
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/4/2019  10:07 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
ankurk wrote:The mavericks are happy because they have a marketable duo
The media is criticizing the knicks because of all of the IF'S that we are setting ourselves up for
But its only fair to look at what the mavericks are doing too. There are two sides to this

What IF Porzingis leaves after the Qualifying offer
What IF Porzingis isn't happy playing second fiddle to Luka
What IF Porzingis gets injured again

KP when healthy can't get past mid season without feeling "tired". Even when rested he is absolutely shut down by draymond green. He has to match up against bigs like aldridge, gasol, capela, jokic, adams, nurkic, gobert, KAT way more often in the west.

They also only have three first round picks in the next 6 years and are capped out until 2020 and then I am not sure where they will be at if they resign KP to a max.
Getting off 40 mil in salary, moving an injury prone player that doesn't want to be here before giving him a max deal, getting two first round picks and a lottery talent that the team wanted was a huge get. Media criticizing the Knicks are taking the easy route of, Same old Knicks, this is so KNicksy etc. This was a great trade by the front office.

Not only is it *not* the easy route but it is also *not* Knicksy. A Knicksy trade would be giving up young assets and picks for Antonio McDyess. That's the same old Knicks. This was using a young asset whose cap friendliness was about to go bye-bye to improve our financial flexibility and the future. Everyone whose opinion I respect on the matter likes the trade. Michael Wilbon, who for my money is the best NBA reporter, loved the deal for us. NEgative press works on Knicks fans so I think a lot of what's out there is just clickbait

DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
2/4/2019  2:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/4/2019  2:47 PM
mavs KP presser

https://www.foxsportsgo.com/event/529336/dallas-mavericks-press-conference

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
2/4/2019  3:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/4/2019  3:02 PM
would you rather

kawai & kemba

or

KD & Kryie

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

2/4/2019  3:18 PM
KD & Kyrie -- all day
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/4/2019  3:24 PM
anrst wrote:would you rather

kawai & kemba

or

KD & Kryie

depends on if we get Zion or not. There is no question we could use Kyrie badly but he had injury issues as we know
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/4/2019  3:59 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
The media is criticizing the knicks because of all of the IF'S that we are setting ourselves up for
But its only fair to look at what the mavericks are doing too. There are two sides to this

KP when healthy can't get past mid season without feeling "tired". Even when rested he is absolutely shut down by draymond green. He has to match up against bigs like aldridge, gasol, capela, jokic, adams, nurkic, gobert, KAT way more often in the west.

They also only have three first round picks in the next 6 years and are capped out until 2020 and then I am not sure where they will be at if they resign KP to a max.
Getting off 40 mil in salary, moving an injury prone player that doesn't want to be here before giving him a max deal, getting two first round picks and a lottery talent that the team wanted was a huge get. Media criticizing the Knicks are taking the easy route of, Same old Knicks, this is so KNicksy etc. This was a great trade by the front office.

Not only is it *not* the easy route but it is also *not* Knicksy. A Knicksy trade would be giving up young assets and picks for Antonio McDyess. That's the same old Knicks. This was using a young asset whose cap friendliness was about to go bye-bye to improve our financial flexibility and the future. Everyone whose opinion I respect on the matter likes the trade. Michael Wilbon, who for my money is the best NBA reporter, loved the deal for us. NEgative press works on Knicks fans so I think a lot of what's out there is just clickbait

What sucks is the Knicks had a 21 year old all star 2-way player with franchise caliber potential and now we dont. These things do happen. I am not super interested in blame, but these things do happen. Players have their own agendas and front offices poorly manage players. Often its a combo of both.

I would not have made this trade. I am not convinced this was the best trade out there for the Knicks, but in this situation its not a bad trade. We lose out on the hardest things to acquire... top tier talent and Dallas is looking a Luka/Doncic/THjr core and they could certainly add a max player after next year when everyone but those 3 are pretty much off the books (assuming they resign KP) so Dallas looks like they did a great job of rebuilding some star talent and flexibility to then build around it.

For the Knicks... as always its wait and see. This could very well be a few years before we get our own mix of guys really worth keeping.

Do you trust this management to make good decisions on free agents? In the draft? I mean flexibility is only as good as the GM and his vision

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
StarksEwing1

2/4/2019  4:03 PM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

What sucks is the Knicks had a 21 year old all star 2-way player with franchise caliber potential and now we dont. These things do happen. I am not super interested in blame, but these things do happen. Players have their own agendas and front offices poorly manage players. Often its a combo of both.

I would not have made this trade. I am not convinced this was the best trade out there for the Knicks, but in this situation its not a bad trade. We lose out on the hardest things to acquire... top tier talent and Dallas is looking a Luka/Doncic/THjr core and they could certainly add a max player after next year when everyone but those 3 are pretty much off the books (assuming they resign KP) so Dallas looks like they did a great job of rebuilding some star talent and flexibility to then build around it.

For the Knicks... as always its wait and see. This could very well be a few years before we get our own mix of guys really worth keeping.

Do you trust this management to make good decisions on free agents? In the draft? I mean flexibility is only as good as the GM and his vision

Fish I usually agree with you but this had to be done. KP all but said he would of walked for nothing next year
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/4/2019  4:15 PM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I'll tell you what, Rick Carlisle just took time at the opening press conference for KP to recognize Janis. I think this is a great trade on its own but when you consider KP's health, his brother, not wanting to be here and his getting a max deal, I think the Knicks dodged a bullet. This will be an interesting situation to watch. It certainly could turn out very well for Dallas but the potential for this to not work out leaving them with nothing is there as well. Is next year, coming off an acl and playing a tougher schedule the year KP doesn't tire in mid December? Is it the year he finally stays healthy? This trade checked all the boxes for the Knicks. Cap space, draft picks and a young lottery pick player that they like. Has Rick Carlisle ever had to praise a player agent at a press conference before?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/4/2019  4:20 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Fish I usually agree with you but this had to be done. KP all but said he would of walked for nothing next year

yeah this is my stance too. It had to be done and it was better to get it done quietly and quickly. I'd rather KP be here (without Janis). But look what's happening to NOLA. AD said who he'd resign with. The Pelicans just got neutered. Janis tipped his hand, management was prepared, and we got back pieces that contribute to our future.

The other thing is and I say this all the time, is great team's assets have the same duration. Case in point the core four Yankees. The core of your team has the same trajectory. Yeah you make room for some Canos and yeah you grab Wade Boggs or Darryl Strawberry when you can too. But the core of the team is at teh same point at the same time.

If we resigned KP -- and we would've -- that's it. Unless we drafted another star (given our history, I wouldn't bank on it) or another Jeremy Lin falls from the heavens we're good for getting our asses kicked in the first round. Look, I hate the circumstances and I loved watching KP but this is where we're at and compared to NOLA we're in fantastic shape. NOLA is gonna get less than us and they have the better player

DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
Chandler
Member: #6197

2/4/2019  4:20 PM
fishmike wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Well stated

I too think there's plenty of blame for both sides.

Now KP is going to have to eat galumoki (or whatever they eat in Latvia) BBQ-style

I still have a tough time picturing 30 year old KD playing next to a bunch of 19-20 year olds who have shown no ability to play professional level basketball this season

(5)(5)
Chandler
Member: #6197

2/4/2019  4:24 PM
in 2-4 years the basketball universe will be revolving around KP, KAT, Giannis, Joel, Jokic, maybe Tatum. Those will be the "bad men"
(5)(5)
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/4/2019  5:36 PM

StarksEwing1

2/4/2019  5:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/4/2019  5:44 PM
Chandler wrote:in 2-4 years the basketball universe will be revolving around KP, KAT, Giannis, Joel, Jokic, maybe Tatum. Those will be the "bad men"
Ironically all those guys destroy KP when they face him especially Jokic. Lets see if he can actually last a full season without getting tired or getting hurt before annointing him as a "bad man". It would be nice if he could actually rebound too lol
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

2/4/2019  6:08 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Lol

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/4/2019  6:11 PM
smackeddog wrote:

haha that was awesome

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
StarksEwing1

2/4/2019  6:16 PM
I hate Paul Pierce. Look its fine to question the probability of us getting All 3 ,thats fair but he clearly hates the Knicks always has. Also he is hoping against hope that Kyrie stays in Boston
Cartman718
Member: #1694

2/4/2019  6:56 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I hate Paul Pierce. Look its fine to question the probability of us getting All 3 ,thats fair but he clearly hates the Knicks always has. Also he is hoping against hope that Kyrie stays in Boston

in the espn game on friday that's what he said. even jalen rose opposed him on that.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
JamesKPolk
Member: #4093

2/4/2019  7:16 PM
The trade is terrible because you used Porzingis in a salary dump and some middling future picks.

Dennis Smith Jr is irrelevant. He's garbage.

Bill Simmons brought up a good point. A team like the Kings probably would have offered Bagley and a pick + take back Hardaway for expirings, which would have been a way smarter. The fact that you trade this guy and get zero players back with potential is what makes the trade bad. Regardless of how you want to talk about Porzingis, his health, his attitude, his brother, etc, he still was a 23 year old All Star player.

"Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world." - James K Polk
Cartman718
Member: #1694

2/4/2019  7:19 PM
JamesKPolk wrote:The trade is terrible because you used Porzingis in a salary dump and some middling future picks.

Dennis Smith Jr is irrelevant. He's garbage.

Bill Simmons brought up a good point. A team like the Kings probably would have offered Bagley and a pick + take back Hardaway for expirings, which would have been a way smarter. The fact that you trade this guy and get zero players back with potential is what makes the trade bad. Regardless of how you want to talk about Porzingis, his health, his attitude, his brother, etc, he still was a 23 year old All Star player.

janis timed it perfectly though, so the knicks FO didn't have a choice. if KP had walked in beginning of the season and said that, Knicks would have had all season to find the best deal.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
KP About to go to Dallas

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy