[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Bateer signed?
Author Thread
metra
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #473
9/22/2004  4:59 PM
I, too, have to reply to the 1st grade, 6-feet tall comment. HOLY (*^@! Thats insanse. God... damn............ thats .......... im speechless. Really.
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/22/2004  7:44 PM
He can play but he plays like he is still learning. He doesn't move like a stiff but he plays like he has no clue what to do. I think it's the speed of the NBA game.

I'm telling you guys he's like Jason Collier physically which isn't something to brag but Jason Collier is a decent player.

Neither Sundov or Bateer are better than Nazr but if anything having all these guys are gonna make training camp and pre-season as compeditive you need it to be.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/22/2004  8:58 PM
Not as talented as Wang Zhizhi
I didn't know Wang Zhizhi was talented
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/22/2004  9:00 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Not as talented as Wang Zhizhi
I didn't know Wang Zhizhi was talented

That quote was the only thing that worries me about Bateer.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/22/2004  10:39 PM
From a friend of mine in Denver:

"I will not say that Mengke is a total nothing. He has skills. If he
could get into NBA shape, he could be a decent backup center. But, I
doubt that he can. With the Nuggets, he was not able to get upcourt
quickly and he was beaten too often on defense. He does shoot well and
can pass very well."

SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
9/23/2004  8:39 AM
http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix0923,0,7082819.story?coll=nyc-sports-headlines','271'

BY GREG LOGAN
STAFF WRITER

September 23, 2004

In keeping with his leave-no-stone-unturned policy, Knicks president Isiah Thomas has reached an agreement on a non-guaranteed contract with Chinese free-agent center Mengke Bateer. Although the Knicks have the maximum 15 players with guaranteed deals, the 6-11, 290-pound Bateer could stick with a good showing in training camp because the Knicks need another big body at backup center.

Bateer played only 86 minutes in 19 games in the past two seasons with Toronto and San Antonio, but he averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds in 15 minutes a game in the 2001-02 season with Denver. According to Jim McDowell, Bateer's U.S. agent, the 28-year-old player had comparable offers from two Western Conference teams but chose the Knicks because of the opportunity they offered.

After trading Dikembe Mutombo, the Knicks have only power forward Vin Baker and Bruno Sundov, who was released after playing only two games with them last season, to play behind starting center Nazr Mohammed. Bateer spent the past summer with China's Olympic team but saw little action behind Houston center Yao Ming.

"People are intrigued by Mengke's size and strength," McDowell said. "For him, it's a quickness issue whether he can play at the NBA level."

Knicks player personnel consultant Brendan Suhr recommended Bateer to Thomas. "The Knicks made a pretty good case for Mengke to sign with them," McDowell said. "Brendan Suhr has seen him play a lot in China and knows him well."

Bateer is expected to arrive in New York this weekend, sign a contract and begin informal workouts with the team next week before training camp opens Oct. 4. He's not a shotblocker, but could fortify their inside presence simply by virtue of his bulk.

Notes & quotes: Allan Houston, who missed 32 games last season because of problems related to surgery on his right knee, has been working out at the Knicks' training center and shoots nearly every day, but there has been no indication as to whether he will be ready for training-camp scrimmages ... Single-game tickets for home games will go on sale next Thursday at 9 a.m. at the Madison Square Garden box office, online at nyknicks.com, nba.com, thegarden.com and ticketmaster.com or by calling 1-800-4NBA-TIX.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
9/23/2004  2:27 PM
Posted by NumberTwoPencil:

Okay, he's a rocking Mongolian Dudley with all the good looks of Herb Williams!

I'm starting to really like the Knicks bench. Remember back, I guess in JvG's first and second year, when then bench was boss? Herb! Buck! Brunson! Now: Bateer!

I can't wait to hear "And at center, from the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, Menk-ghhhheeeee BA-TEEEER!" Maybe on fan appreciation day, everyone will get a tiny model yurt.

LOL
PURE KNICKS LOVE
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/23/2004  3:24 PM
Notes & quotes: Allan Houston, who missed 32 games last season because of problems related to surgery on his right knee, has been working out at the Knicks' training center and shoots nearly every day, but there has been no indication as to whether he will be ready for training-camp scrimmages ...

Still a good sign.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/23/2004  3:30 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Notes & quotes: Allan Houston, who missed 32 games last season because of problems related to surgery on his right knee, has been working out at the Knicks' training center and shoots nearly every day, but there has been no indication as to whether he will be ready for training-camp scrimmages ...

Still a good sign.
LMAO
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Bateer signed?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy