..KP never got injured?

Just wondering

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/9/2019  11:42 AM

Lots of things to consider. Team since the trade deadline, the draft, and all offseason basically with knowledge that he'd be out 12 months and then some perhaps. Knowing your going into this would be ugly and still reboot the coaching staff and reboot some aspects of the team.
So its nearly impossible to think because how would we have finished last season? Perhaps made a trade and sneak to 8th seed? We draft lower so no Knox to have drafted? Might have extended KP and not had the cap space this summer ($10mm) to work with. There is a lot to consider.
The notion of Lebrons comment to Dwade saying "it was here or the garden"........was that even a consideration?
We don't know and might never until Lebron writes his memoirs.
A core of healthy KP and Lebron is a better tandem that anything the Lakers have now. Yes, Lebron would have made KP better. He makes everyone better.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/9/2019  11:52 AM
KP was slowly getting hurt before that anyway so if that didn’t happen then something else would have. If he wasn’t falling apart, LeBron would have considered NY heavily then. KP in beast mode and LeToya would have been a sick pair.

We probably could have made the playoffs too. KP was playing awesome and when he plays awesome, he elevates the entire team. We can only pray he’ll be like that when he returns.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
1/9/2019  11:53 AM
Obviously no Knox, but I think last year we would have just missed the playoffs and this season, with a few more win-now moves, we would be hovering around .500.
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

1/9/2019  1:01 PM
Where would we be by now if Ewing never got traded
Where would we be by now if Ewing never got hurt pre 1999 finals
Where would we be by now if Dolan never loved Isiah Thomas more than any woman on the planet
Where would we be by now if Larry Brown and Phil Jackson didn't pull juice cards all over the place
I mean that list goes on...every season such questions will crop up.
Where would we be by now, if the NBA refs simply called travel more consistently (yes I am looking at you Lebron, Giannis, etc)

Look to the future buddy...it's looking bright.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

1/9/2019  3:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/9/2019  3:59 PM
Gudris wrote:..KP never got injured?

Just wondering

We'd be a threadmill team: too good to ever get the much needed lottery talent to win with KP but too cap-locked to get elite level free agents. It's clear to me that KP being injured offered the opportunity for us to take one step backward, in order to take two forward. I think it remains to be seen if we'll maximize this opportunity though; I still don't have the confidence in our front office to do the right thing. Time will tell.

But hopefully they've figured out the underlying issues with KP that has contributed to a host of knick-knack injuries on the left side of his body. If they haven't, be prepared for him to continue to have his play decline as the season progresses with the possibility of catastrophic injuries occuring.

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/9/2019  4:03 PM
NardDogNation wrote:

Just wondering

We'd be a threadmill team: too good to ever get the much needed lottery talent to win with KP but too cap-locked to get elite level free agents. It's clear to me that KP being injured offered the opportunity for us to take one step backward, in order to take two forward. I think it remains to be seen if we'll maximize this opportunity though; I still don't have the confidence in our front office to do the right thing. Time will tell.

But hopefully they've figured out the underlying issues with KP that has contributed to a host of knick-knack injuries on the left side of his body. If they haven't, be prepared for him to continue to have his play decline as the season progresses with the possibility of catastrophic injuries occuring.

That’s the ONLY reason I would be willing to trade him and even that’s really risky. Now you are blowing away that one sure sexy reason for free agents to come here because it’s not a sure thing that Zion comes.

Then what? It’s just another rebuilding year next year unless you struck gold in the KP trade... which is doubtful.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

1/9/2019  5:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/9/2019  6:07 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

Just wondering

That’s the ONLY reason I would be willing to trade him and even that’s really risky. Now you are blowing away that one sure sexy reason for free agents to come here because it’s not a sure thing that Zion comes.

Then what? It’s just another rebuilding year next year unless you struck gold in the KP trade... which is doubtful.

I was a proponent of trading KP for the right deal, ever since the 2017 draft due to his filmsy health.

My target would've been the Celtics who were on the cusps of trading for Kyrie, signing Gordon Hayward and were (and still are) targeting a 3rd star using their remaining draft assets. My ask back then was the no.1 overall pick, Jaylen Brown, Terry Rozier and a pick swap with the Lakers' 2018 first round pick, which they had possession of. I think that would've been reasonable for them considering how close to a finished product they were (Eastern Conference finalists the year before) and because they still had the means to improve their team after the fact.

Whereas the worst case scenario from our perspective would've been us losing a generational talent (KP) for a bunch of complimentary role players. But the lottery pedigree of the proposed talent involved was enough of a hedge for me to take the chance and be confident they'd be good enough to be a perennial 6th-8th seed. And at the end of the day, that- and the oodles of cap space we'd have by having so many rotation-level players on their rookie contracts- is all we'd really need to attract a star via free agency to then push us over the top. Considering how attractive MSG and NYC has been to superstars in the past, I've never understood why the Knicks have not been more willing to build their team through this approach. Teams like the Pelicans and Grizzlies have to tank for the right draft to get a superstar; all we've really had to do is have a halfway competent team and some goddamn cap space and yet we continue to tie up resources in THJr's and the Joakim Noah's of the world.

Though I digress....

As we know, those Celtic players have formed the backbone of a franchise that made it all the way to the Eastern Conference Finals (san Kyrie and Hayward). We'd be Finals contenders on the basis of this trade alone, had we not put all our eggs in the Kristaps Porzingis basket....and still have a ridiculous amount of cap space to build around them....

Needless to say, that ship has sailed and the success of our franchise rests entirely on a player that has proven to be brittle and is due a max contract extension. I might be a pessimist but even the optimist amongst us must recognize that KP could become the next Yao or Amar'e at any moment; leaving us capped out with no means to improve the roster around him via free agency or with trade assets.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
1/9/2019  10:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/9/2019  10:39 PM
Past cannot be changed and future cannot be predicted.
KP injury allowed Knicks FO to take a simple clear path to rebuild because it was no other options available any more.
So it was less chance to make mistakes.
His return itself and its timing creates a challenge.
So I believe FO is not interested in him to get back until late March.
What player he will be will define FA season along with ping-pong balls.
We get lucky but how long it will last and how lucky we get is to be seen.
But opportunity to use the luck is there. It's time to use it.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/10/2019  1:00 PM
if we drafted fultz as he was the consensus pick we'd be miserable based on short term results.
But only consolation would been KP being injured all things being the same.
Boston might have made us a good trade but then had some kind of pick swap for our pick. We assume we'd be playoff bound. Knicks have a genetic problem with not protecting the pick.
As for Brown and Rozier? They had a nice run last year but tough to superimpose that on this roster. They would also have to be resigned.
Where would we be by now if..

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy