Current Starters
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
1/5/2019  1:17 PM
Kornet, Vonleh, Knox, Hardaway, Mudiay.

Over the last 6 games (54 minutes) we are Plus-27 with this lineup. It’s interesting because it gives us a blueprint for when Porzingis comes back and replaces Kornet in the lineup. This should actually be a good team next year if we don’t add a major free agent. Upgrading PG should still be a priority, but we can see a formula starting to take form here and a path to success finally with all the mixing and matching that has taken place this season so far.

AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

1/5/2019  4:49 PM
If Rubio is s FA, he should be a priority
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knixkik
USA
1/5/2019  6:14 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:If Rubio is s FA, he should be a priority

He’s scheduled to be a FA.

blkexec
Member: #748
1/5/2019  6:15 PM
I thought KP was a PF... and coming off a major surgery might not be the best time to explore with him. He should play where hes comfortable playing.

Kornet doesn't look like the defender we need guarding the paint....Neither does Kanter.....And KP was being over powered b4 his injury.

On offense that lineup looks legit. What about defense?

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/5/2019  6:59 PM
Knixkik wrote:Kornet, Vonleh, Knox, Hardaway, Mudiay.

Over the last 6 games (54 minutes) we are Plus-27 with this lineup. It’s interesting because it gives us a blueprint for when Porzingis comes back and replaces Kornet in the lineup. This should actually be a good team next year if we don’t add a major free agent. Upgrading PG should still be a priority, but we can see a formula starting to take form here and a path to success finally with all the mixing and matching that has taken place this season so far.

Saw that. Great point about KP moving into KP lite’s spot. It also will be interesting to see who the Knicks get in the draft. Also, if they strike out on big name guys in free agency do they try for rfas like Rozier.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knixkik
USA
1/5/2019  7:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/5/2019  7:23 PM
blkexec wrote:I thought KP was a PF... and coming off a major surgery might not be the best time to explore with him. He should play where hes comfortable playing.

Kornet doesn't look like the defender we need guarding the paint....Neither does Kanter.....And KP was being over powered b4 his injury.

Alongside Vonleh it doesn’t matter. They are both just bigs. Next to Robinson he will play PF but next to Vonleh they can match up as needed. Vonleh has been a great defensive player this season regardless of who he’s guarding.

meloshouldgo

1/6/2019  12:11 AM
Knixkik wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:If Rubio is s FA, he should be a priority

He’s scheduled to be a FA.

This is the type of starting PG the knicks need to get. Maybe after Rose, Jack, Burke and Mudiay we will finally get something right?

meloshouldgo

1/6/2019  12:12 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/6/2019  12:15 AM
Knixkik wrote:
blkexec wrote:I thought KP was a PF... and coming off a major surgery might not be the best time to explore with him. He should play where hes comfortable playing.

Alongside Vonleh it doesn’t matter. They are both just bigs. Next to Robinson he will play PF but next to Vonleh they can match up as needed. Vonleh has been a great defensive player this season regardless of who he’s guarding.

I love Vonleh's defense, but he can't guard really big guys without getting into foul trouble. That's why we need KP defensively.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/6/2019  6:49 AM
I'm not a fan of keeping Mudiay. I don't think he plays winning basketball as a point guard. His decision making and style of play, not going to lead a team to the playoffs IMO.

I like Vonleh, I already made a thread about Kornet. People call him slow, but he can shoot the 3, and is able to bring some unicorn qualities. I think he's a great backup to KP next season.

Hardaway is best served as a sixth man off the bench instant offense type of guy on a good team.

I envision it as hopefully becoming a top 9 rotation like this

Randle (Free agent signing, upgrade to Vonleh)
Porzingis
Knox
Frank (Yes give him a shot to start with a healthy KP, stronger Knox and better unselfish team)
Maront or RJ Barrett (If RJ, Frank is the point, if Maront, Frank is the 2)
------------------
Hardaway - first off the bench
Kornet - replaces Porzingis off the bench
Lee - second wing off the bench
Trier - backup point

Probably need to use some cap money to sign a veteran backup point guard, since Trier is not a proven NBA player on a good team.

Knixkik
USA
1/6/2019  10:35 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:I'm not a fan of keeping Mudiay. I don't think he plays winning basketball as a point guard. His decision making and style of play, not going to lead a team to the playoffs IMO.

I like Vonleh, I already made a thread about Kornet. People call him slow, but he can shoot the 3, and is able to bring some unicorn qualities. I think he's a great backup to KP next season.

Hardaway is best served as a sixth man off the bench instant offense type of guy on a good team.

Porzingis
Knox
Frank (Yes give him a shot to start with a healthy KP, stronger Knox and better unselfish team)
------------------
Trier - backup point

Probably need to use some cap money to sign a veteran backup point guard, since Trier is not a proven NBA player on a good team.

I like Randle but I’m concerned about him defensively. I would like to pair KP with a good defensive big. Robinson will probably be the first big off the bench next year, but I hope we keep Kornet in the roster. Morant Or Rubio are my hope to address the PG. I like Trier and Frank together off the bench. I think they compliment each other as different style combo guards.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

1/6/2019  10:48 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:I'm not a fan of keeping Mudiay. I don't think he plays winning basketball as a point guard. His decision making and style of play, not going to lead a team to the playoffs IMO.

Porzingis
Knox
------------------
Trier - backup point

We can't have the 2nd highest paid player on the team be a 6th man

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

1/6/2019  10:59 AM
Knixkik wrote:

Porzingis
Knox
------------------
Trier - backup point

I like Randle but I’m concerned about him defensively. I would like to pair KP with a good defensive big. Robinson will probably be the first big off the bench next year, but I hope we keep Kornet in the roster. Morant Or Rubio are my hope to address the PG. I like Trier and Frank together off the bench. I think they compliment each other as different style combo guards.

Defensively the Knicks have a problem with KP at PF. He has to play Center. It's absolutely ridiculous to have a 7'3" player with limited lateral agility on the perimeter. He is one of the top rim protectors in the NBA. He needs to play near the basket. The lack of talent on this franchise means we basically have to cater to him. Somehow we have to find a combo PF/C that is athletic enough to guard 3's but is bulky enough to guard 280lb centers. Oh yeah he also has to be able to grab 15 rebounds /48 and hit an open 3. All because KP won't play Center.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Knixkik
USA
1/6/2019  11:00 AM
Jmpasq wrote:

Porzingis
Knox
------------------
Trier - backup point

Yeah Hardaway is starting , at least for the next 2 years I would think.

Knixkik
USA
1/6/2019  11:03 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Porzingis
Knox
------------------
Trier - backup point

Defensively the Knicks have a problem with KP at PF. He has to play Center. It's absolutely ridiculous to have a 7'3" player with limited lateral agility on the perimeter. He is one of the top rim protectors in the NBA. He needs to play near the basket. The lack of talent on this franchise means we basically have to cater to him. Somehow we have to find a combo PF/C that is athletic enough to guard 3's but is bulky enough to guard 280lb centers. Oh yeah he also has to be able to grab 15 rebounds /48 and hit an open 3. All because KP won't play Center.

But doesn’t Vonleh already do most of those things ? He can guard all 3 front court positions and rebounds well, athletic, and hits open threes at 40%. He’s still only 23 too. He’s a combo big who can play PF/C depending on matchup. As far as non-star bigs he’s a pretty perfect fit.

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

1/6/2019  12:20 PM
I think we should look for a backup PF next summer in FA. I like Kornet but I think I want to see more consistency from him before that. Dragon Bender and Marquees Chriss are options I’d take a look at. Both like Vonleh were lottery selections but disappointed with their first teams. Vonleh turned out well and I’d love to have him back starting next to KP. Why not give one of those guys a shot?
The Future is Bright!
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

1/6/2019  12:22 PM
Jmpasq wrote:

Porzingis
Knox
------------------
Trier - backup point

Not sure I support this logic. A player should play wherever he can best serve the team. He would be a terrific option off the bench.
The Future is Bright!
meloshouldgo

1/6/2019  3:32 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Porzingis
Knox
------------------
Trier - backup point

But doesn’t Vonleh already do most of those things ? He can guard all 3 front court positions and rebounds well, athletic, and hits open threes at 40%. He’s still only 23 too. He’s a combo big who can play PF/C depending on matchup. As far as non-star bigs he’s a pretty perfect fit.

You guys know we also have Mitchell Robimson, right? He can guard 4s and 5s with ease. He will need to bulk up a bit but between him and Vonleh we can get two different styles of complimentary players for KP. Vonleh is the best perimeter defender of the 3 right now.

Knixkik
USA
1/6/2019  5:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/6/2019  5:44 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Porzingis
Knox
------------------
Trier - backup point

You guys know we also have Mitchell Robimson, right? He can guard 4s and 5s with ease. He will need to bulk up a bit but between him and Vonleh we can get two different styles of complimentary players for KP. Vonleh is the best perimeter defender of the 3 right now.

I agree. Vonleh and Robinson are both great compliments to KP. Kornet is a decent 4th big. No need to change the bigs really. We need better guard play.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/7/2019  6:06 AM
If Vonleh is legit, and can be relied upon to start the next two to three years. We need to get more start power at the guard spot. Assuming Knox gets stronger and more consistent, and KP gets healthy, you'll probably have enough offense and defense with KP/Vonleh/Knox starting.

But the backcourt, no way you can get away with Frank or Mudiay.
Tim could theoretically start for another two years, but I'd prefer a better defender and more of a playmaker. Knox is very similar to Tim in how he plays as well.

Then you hope to get a pick where you can draft Ja Morant. He's an attacking guard and can pass, but you will need to wait on him as well.

I get the argument to keep Vonleh over going and signing someone like Randle. I would be fine with that. However in this case, to be a competitive playoff team next year, you need a big upgrade at point guard.

Chandler
Member: #6197

1/7/2019  8:31 AM
Interesting thread

I’ve been saying all season I’d like to see thj more at 2. Should only help hi
Get to the line more

Kp’s physical location on court (eg on perimeter) will be largely dictated by the opponent

He’s just going to need to learn what to give away

Don’t want mudiay long term. I can’t think of a single player he is making better or has developed a chemistry with

It’s frightening to think Mario and Enes have more chemistry than any other tandem on our team

(5)(5)
Current Starters

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy