[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: What Happens If the Celtics Don't Get Anthony Davis?
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

1/4/2019  12:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2019  12:50 AM
They are teeming with talent and won't have any worthy players left to pool those assets for. So what do they do?

I think there is a 50-50 shot they re-sign Kyrie Irving and if they do, that effectively leaves them with two max contracts (including Gordon Hayward). Should they re-sign Al Horford to market value, both he AND Marcus Smart would likely combine to equal a max contract as well with Jayson Tatum's max coming due, too. Considering how punitive the luxury tax has become, there is no viable path for the Celtics to afford the rough equivalent of those 4 max contracts and the 10 roster spots left to fill.

That conundrum makes me wonder what they intend to do with Jaylen Brown and (to a lesser extent) Terry Rozier. Will they actually allow those guys to get to free agency? If so, the cap space we really should be saving ourselves for are the Celtics' castaways, while fleshing out the rest of our roster via the draft.

What do you guys think?

AUTOADVERT
fwk00
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6048

1/4/2019  12:53 AM
Ainge's magic formula is to trade the most likely damaged goods for picks. Then sign FAs based on the reputation of the team to contend. They also draft impeccably.

Ainge would trade his mother.

NardDogNation

1/4/2019  12:58 AM
fwk00 wrote:Ainge's magic formula is to trade the most likely damaged goods for picks. Then sign FAs based on the reputation of the team to contend. They also draft impeccably.

Ainge would trade his mother.

But the depth on their team is helping to depreciate the value of those players. Those draft picks won't be as good as they should be. What do they do then?

And Ainge's draft history is checkered. Everyone remembers Jayson Tatum but people conveniently forget the James Young, Gershon Yabulsala, RJ Hunter's of yesteryear.

fwk00
Member: #6048

1/4/2019  1:03 AM
Ainge's secret is the volume of draft picks he accumulates. You need only one hit a year of the three, four, or five you've stashed away.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/4/2019  3:10 AM
Key is to drafting is a game not of percentages but frequency. If you only hit 40% of your picks make sure you have a lot of them. Teams whiff on picks, even the best evaluation of talent does.
NardDogNation

1/4/2019  7:58 AM
Nalod wrote:Key is to drafting is a game not of percentages but frequency. If you only hit 40% of your picks make sure you have a lot of them. Teams whiff on picks, even the best evaluation of talent does.

I wholeheartedly agree with that point. It's what I've advocated the Knicks do for a decade with the vast resources they have at their disposal but that is never going to happen. We're a micowave culture and think success can happen overnight through (enter impending free agent susperstar here) every year.

That being said, let's not pretend that Ainge is Sam Presti, Bob Meyers, or the Spurs and is getting value across the draft. Save Terry Rozier, his only draft picks of significance have been high lottery picks courtesy of Billy King. The balance haven't/won't even made/make it past their rookie contracts, which isn't exactly a success story.

NardDogNation

1/4/2019  8:02 AM
...the point is that the Celtics might be forced to surrender some of the current talent on their roster and we should position ourselves to get them. I still think Jaylen Brown is a star in this league with the right opportunity despite a real-plus/minus close to the bottom of the league. If we're patient, can we realistically wait for him to become a free agent and make him an offer the Celtics can't match?
NardDogNation

1/4/2019  8:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2019  8:06 AM
If you're the Knicks, would you give away our pick this year OR heavily protected future picks for those Celtic stragglers?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/4/2019  8:41 AM
I think that Hayward deal may come back to haunt them a little bit. A lot of guys need to be paid. Kyrie returning at the max might not be a foregone conclusion.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
1/4/2019  10:22 AM
NardDogNation wrote:...the point is that the Celtics might be forced to surrender some of the current talent on their roster and we should position ourselves to get them. I still think Jaylen Brown is a star in this league with the right opportunity despite a real-plus/minus close to the bottom of the league. If we're patient, can we realistically wait for him to become a free agent and make him an offer the Celtics can't match?

This is similar to Frank situation.
But we can be patient with Frank like to forever but Celts are already up to roster decisions.
So Jaylen Brown may be the victim of this.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
1/4/2019  10:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2019  10:25 AM
Knixkik wrote:I think that Hayward deal may come back to haunt them a little bit. A lot of guys need to be paid. Kyrie returning at the max might not be a foregone conclusion.

If they are hunting for the chip they should let Kyrie go.
The max to him will be the end of their championship plan.
But I hope they will be stupid enough to give him the max and go down in flames.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/4/2019  10:50 AM
they'll get him. If he's walking away, how do you say no to something like Terry Rozier and Jaylen Brown?
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
1/4/2019  10:58 AM
Celtics have possibly 4 1st rnd picks this year with 2 of them possible lottery picks.
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
NardDogNation

1/4/2019  12:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2019  3:31 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:they'll get him. If he's walking away, how do you say no to something like Terry Rozier and Jaylen Brown?

The Lakers with Brandon Ingram and assets say "hello"

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/4/2019  1:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2019  1:06 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:they'll get him. If he's walking away, how do you say no to something like Terry Rozier and Jaylen Brown?

The Laker and Brandon Ingram and assets say "hello"

I think Tatum would be included. Also, who do the Lakers really have? I don't think Ingram is that highly regarded anymore. Not like Tatum at least. Kuzma is good but that's really all they have right now.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/4/2019  1:26 PM
NardDogNation wrote:...the point is that the Celtics might be forced to surrender some of the current talent on their roster and we should position ourselves to get them. I still think Jaylen Brown is a star in this league with the right opportunity despite a real-plus/minus close to the bottom of the league. If we're patient, can we realistically wait for him to become a free agent and make him an offer the Celtics can't match?

Nah I wouldn't give up a pick for Rozier or Brown at the moment. I don't feel we should look to move future picks until after or during the draft. With the target of adding a Zion, Barrett, Morant in the draft. Then using the future pick to land another piece if Hardaway can be packaged in that deal. Then we preserve enough cap to add a FA as well. Meaning top 3 pick, trade for proven player, and FA signing.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
NardDogNation

1/4/2019  3:50 PM
Knixkik wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

The Laker and Brandon Ingram and assets say "hello"

I think Tatum would be included. Also, who do the Lakers really have? I don't think Ingram is that highly regarded anymore. Not like Tatum at least. Kuzma is good but that's really all they have right now.

I think the situation is a little more complex. I agree that the Celtics have more to offer BUT it comes down to where Anthony Davis wants to re-sign. And I personally don't think it's a coincidence he's signed with Rich Paul AFTER LeBron went to L.A. or have publicized meeting with each other in public. So do the Celtics include Tatum if Davis is committed to going to LAL?

And if the Pelicans decide to move him this season, the Celtics could not acquire him in a deal without finding a destination for Kyrie Irving? Would Davis want to be there without Kyrie? Doubtful. All these converging factors make the Lakers the most likely destination in my opinion. I think Ball and Ingram gets the deal done.

NardDogNation

1/4/2019  4:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/4/2019  4:41 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Nah I wouldn't give up a pick for Rozier or Brown at the moment. I don't feel we should look to move future picks until after or during the draft. With the target of adding a Zion, Barrett, Morant in the draft. Then using the future pick to land another piece if Hardaway can be packaged in that deal. Then we preserve enough cap to add a FA as well. Meaning top 3 pick, trade for proven player, and FA signing.

I tend to be a hardliner when it comes to giving up picks. We've had so many boneheaded decisions involving them that we could have built and re-built a perennial playoff team had we just kept them in the first place. But if I could get Terry Rozier and Jaylen Brown for our pick this year, I'd definitely do it. Outside of Zion, you're basically hoping the rest of the draft could develop what a Jaylen Brown already is. And then there is the obvious fact that both players better fit the timeline of Kristaps Porzingis, especially if Kevin Durant is really in play. Whatever the case, those two would round out our starting lineup nicely and we would still have the ability to add talent around them....

G: Terry Rozier
G: Frank Ntilikina
F: Jaylen Brown
F: Kevin Knox
C: Kristaps Porzingis

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
1/5/2019  12:02 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

I tend to be a hardliner when it comes to giving up picks. We've had so many boneheaded decisions involving them that we could have built and re-built a perennial playoff team had we just kept them in the first place. But if I could get Terry Rozier and Jaylen Brown for our pick this year, I'd definitely do it. Outside of Zion, you're basically hoping the rest of the draft could develop what a Jaylen Brown already is. And then there is the obvious fact that both players better fit the timeline of Kristaps Porzingis, especially if Kevin Durant is really in play. Whatever the case, those two would round out our starting lineup nicely and we would still have the ability to add talent around them....

No way do I think this happens, don't think Ainge would do it but if I can't get Zion( esp) and probably Barrett, then I would definitely trade the #1 for Brown and Rozier. That is a steal. Like I said Boston probably has 4 #1 draft picks this year. They aren't looking to get another pick.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/5/2019  2:24 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Not really high on Rozier, especially with his upcoming free agency. I do like Brown. Not sure I'd make that deal. I might consider it if a couple of Boston first rounders are tossed in lieu of Rozier and our pick is protected 1-7, or something like that.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
OT: What Happens If the Celtics Don't Get Anthony Davis?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy