Inside Dish: The Knicks need Houston to thrive
Author Thread
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/20/2004  9:58 AM

By Sean Deveney - SportingNews

There's optimism in New York, despite the Knicks' failed attempt to land a big man. After all, New York finished 25-22 following the trade for PG Stephon Marbury -- even though it lost SG Allan Houston for much of the second half of the season. But there are concerns, too. Houston, who had right knee surgery last offseason, is working his way back from a left knee injury that was exacerbated by a bad back and a quadriceps injury. When healthy, Houston is one of the most reliable shooters in the league. His contributions to the Knicks often are overshadowed by his too-rich contract (he will be paid $17 million this season). But Houston might not be 100 percent when the team opens camp -- and at 33, he might be on the decline. If Houston is limited, G Jamal Crawford will have to pick up the long-distance shooting slack. Coming off a season in which Crawford made only 31.7 percent of his 3-pointers, that's not an ideal situation for the Knicks. . . .

With contracts such as Houston's, the Knicks are well ahead in the race for biggest payroll, especially with the Trail Blazers trimming salaries in the past year. New York will have more than $100 million in payroll, which is not as bad as it sounds. The Knicks are owned by the same group that owns Madison Square Garden and have a lucrative television deal. Plus, a source says, the Knicks aren't afraid of being $60 million over the salary cap because, "There's a feeling that there won't be a luxury tax next season." . . .

AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/20/2004  10:12 AM
The Knicks need Crwaford and Tim Thomas to thrive more than Houston. I dont think Houston will last more than half the season anyway.
His contributions to the Knicks often are overshadowed by his too-rich contract (he will be paid $17 million this season).
This is a very popular misconception. Most people have a problem with Houston because he REFUSES to do anything other than jump shoot not because of his contract. Maybe if he tried to do other stuff like, DEFEND, REBOUND, GET ASSISTS OR DRIVE, RUN WITHOUT THE BALL he would not be so annoying. If he made an effort to shed his 1-dimensional style, people would respect his game more.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Kwazimodal
9/20/2004  10:23 AM
I agree Silverfuel,although its not his fault that he was given such a ridiculous contract it his his fault for not trying hard enough to show that he was worth it.Every season he would come back and Id wonder why the hell didnt he work on another aspect of his game?He has had his moments but not enough IMO.
Silverfuel
USA
9/20/2004  10:30 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I agree Silverfuel,although its not his fault that he was given such a ridiculous contract it his his fault for not trying hard enough to show that he was worth it.Every season he would come back and Id wonder why the hell didnt he work on another aspect of his game?He has had his moments but not enough IMO.
You are a very intelligent person. I am glad you are a Knick fan. I wish there were more like you.
Kwazimodal
9/20/2004  10:37 AM
Wait till you hear my trade idea to get eisley back!
Silverfuel
USA
9/20/2004  10:43 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Wait till you hear my trade idea to get eisley back!
nykfan4life
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #742
USA
9/20/2004  11:15 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

The Knicks need Crwaford and Tim Thomas to thrive more than Houston. I dont think Houston will last more than half the season anyway.
His contributions to the Knicks often are overshadowed by his too-rich contract (he will be paid $17 million this season).
This is a very popular misconception. Most people have a problem with Houston because he REFUSES to do anything other than jump shoot not because of his contract. Maybe if he tried to do other stuff like, DEFEND, REBOUND, GET ASSISTS OR DRIVE, RUN WITHOUT THE BALL he would not be so annoying. If he made an effort to shed his 1-dimensional style, people would respect his game more.

How people soon forget Houston does all those things your comments are biased and unsupported BS. If you remember during last season and the season before he was taking charges and giving hard fouls before he had his knee problems. Houston was getting more aggressive, but you only seem to remember the games that he wasn't.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/20/2004  11:34 AM
Yeah I also think Houston's a much better player than he's often given credit for and I think alot of lhis performances for the Knicks go uncredited. If he pulls his health together he's gonna have a very valuable place on this team. And Crawford's presence means less minutes and wear on his knee plus more of a role for his instant offense.
Kwazimodal
9/20/2004  11:49 AM
Houston wasnt even the best SG on the team when Spree was here.Lucky for Houston that Spree was asked to play SF instead of him.His improvement over the last couple of seasons wasnt as dramatic as you guys make it out to be.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/20/2004  11:56 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

i think the misconception here is when you say that Allan Houston "refuses" to do those things, when it's clear that he's simply not a good defender, rebounder or ball distributor as much as he is an excellent shooter...why ask him to do things he's not good at doing & go away from the things that he IS good at doing?

when he was younger, he used to drive to the hoop plenty...if you don't believe me, watch some tapes of the playoff games against the Pacers & Heat when Houston scored some of his most memorable shots driving into the lane...his advancing age & his injured knees & sore back have limited his mobility recently, which has had an adverse effect on his athleticism, driving the lane & defensive skills (which were not all that great to begin with anyway), but he's still got a helluva jumpshot...i think it's unfair for people to EXPECT him to become a different player than he obviously is because he's making what he's making.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
9/20/2004  12:00 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

You are a very intelligent person. I am glad you are a Knick fan. I wish there were more like you.

Wow he said exactly what you've been saying using the same words

wow lol
Kwazimodal
9/20/2004  12:05 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Wow he said exactly what you've been saying using the same words

wow lol

That time of the month?
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
9/20/2004  12:18 PM
Maybe this is why we hear all the Wally rumors, since they'll need an outside threat.
#Knickstaps
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/20/2004  12:22 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Maybe this is why we hear all the Wally rumors, since they'll need an outside threat.

And then AH forces Spree to SF again? THat would be way too funny for words!!
Silverfuel
USA
9/20/2004  12:29 PM
Posted by TMS:

i think the misconception here is when you say that Allan Houston "refuses" to do those things, when it's clear that he's simply not a good defender, rebounder or ball distributor as much as he is an excellent shooter...
There is no misconception there. Houston, when asked why he does not rebound more in 2001-2002 said that was not his game. He said his game was to stand on the perimiter and shoot. If you dont want to believe me, fine, dont.
why ask him to do things he's not good at doing & go away from the things that he IS good at doing?
BECUASE HE WILL HELP THE TEAM MORE IF WE ASK HIM TO TRY AND DO THINGS HE DOES NOT DO BUT CAN DO!
when he was younger, he used to drive to the hoop plenty...if you don't believe me, watch some tapes of the playoff games against the Pacers & Heat when Houston scored some of his most memorable shots driving into the lane...his advancing age & his injured knees & sore back have limited his mobility recently, which has had an adverse effect on his athleticism, driving the lane & defensive skills (which were not all that great to begin with anyway), but he's still got a helluva jumpshot...
NO! He was never good at driving the ball. He might get in the lane once or twice for a 'memorable' shot and I give him credit for that, but if he can do it once, why can he not do it more often? Wouldn't it help the team more if he does more than just fake a drive, fake another drive, pump fake and shoot? How about him driving and getting to the foul line more often to use his amazing FT%!?
i think it's unfair for people to EXPECT him to become a different player than he obviously is because he's making what he's making.
NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Making what he making justifies us asking him to do more than what he is doing!! Are you saying we should lock up 50% of the cap space and not ask a player to do more than just jump shoot!? You can expect more from someone when they make more money. Why else do you think we give him a max-contract if he is not expected to be a max-contract player?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/20/2004  12:39 PM
again... its amazing how money changes people's perceptions. Maybe if we maxed out Kurt we could expect him to be more athletic and taller.

Nobody was offering Houston $70mm and Layden gave him $100mm. Yet this makes Allan a lousy player and people question his effort. When Knick games we worth going to I used to watch Houston play a lot. He works very hard away from the ball, he fought through screens, he worked hard on D. He doesnt board because he's always away from the basket but I have seen him work for rebounds in key spots. He's not quick, doesnt handle well for a guard and has slow feet on D. Yet despite that he always worked harded to be a better player for the Knicks. He got stronger every year and before he hurt his he missed 10 games in 7 years. Yet people saw he's got no heart because he doesnt make an angry face after he buries game winning shots.

People have such short memories.. if he can come back 80% healthy people we be amazed at how good he can be, and what a weapon he is.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Silverfuel
USA
9/20/2004  12:46 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Maybe if we maxed out Kurt we could expect him to be more athletic and taller.
Thats insulting. When have I ever made a statement like that? If Kurt got maxed out, I would expect him to rebound more and play better defense against premier forwards! I would also expect him to TRY and do things he can do but does not do like, TRY to get more blocks or TRY to get more offensive rebounds etc. As long as the effort is there, it is a lot less annoying.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/20/2004  12:46 PM
first of all, TAKE A FREAKIN CHILL PILL!

now then, to address your reply...Houston has a career shooting average of 44% & 3 pt. shooting percentage of 40%, along w/a 17 ppg scoring average...you are blaming Allan Houston for making what he's making when the Knicks signed him to that ridiculous contract after they knew just what type of player he was & what his game was all about...i think you should be directing that anger & bitterness towards Knicks' management rather than the player...Allan Houston will continue to do what he does best, which is SHOOTING the ball...all the b!tching & moaning you do about him not being the type of player you want him to be isn't going to change a thing, so you mine as well stop wasting your breath...the contract is what it is.

Allan Houston is a SHOOTER, & a damn good one...i just got done explaining to you why he isn't driving the ball as much as he used to earlier on in his career...it's called AGE & INJURIES...what's the difference how he gets you the points, as long as he gets you those points? it's not as if he shoots for such a low percentage that would require him to be more of a driving the lane type player, like a Jamal Crawford for example...it also helps to be 23 years old & athletic with healthy knees & back too...

on a team like the Knicks, which has so many scoring options on the team, you don't need Allan Houston to dominate the ball anyway...his job is to fill his role, & right now, that is to provide the perimeter shooting threat that will keep the defenses honest & open up the lanes for guys like Marbury, TT & Crawford to drive & penetrate...

stop harping on the bad contract, because it's not Allan Houston's fault that the Knicks were dumb enough to sign him to that much money when they could have had him for half that amount.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Silverfuel
USA
9/20/2004  12:56 PM
TMS: I am not harping on his contract, I am harping on his refusal to do anything other than jump shoot. How can that not bother you that he doesnt try to do anything else? I know his contract is not going to change, I hope for his style of play to change!!

I dont remember him driving to the hoop much even when he was younger! I want him to try and do that. I dont need to break out the tapes but you should. Yes it is managements fault for giving him a big contract but its his fault for not trying to do anything else. I dont need a 'CHILL PILL' I needed a better SG on the Knicks and I thank god that we have Jamal Crawford. I am even more thankful that the offense does not run around Houston anymore.

If you think u are wasting your breath, dont. I am not going to stop arguing about how bad Houston is for the Knicks. I am not going to cheer against him but I hope he does more to justify the orange and blue.

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 09/20/2004 12:57:47]
Kwazimodal
9/20/2004  1:00 PM
Posted by fishmike:

again... its amazing how money changes people's perceptions. Maybe if we maxed out Kurt we could expect him to be more athletic and taller.

Well he should have grown taller,he could have bought a rack!
Seriously,Houston isnt totally passive on the court.If thats the impression that some of us critics have of him then its the wrong one as far as Im concerned.But for me its a question of picking his moments,too many times they would do an iso with Allan and he would just pump fake,pump fake and his man wouldnt give him any space because he knew that he wouldnt drive and Id screaming at the TV for him to drive and he would either take the shot with someone right up on him or wait for someone to bail him out.Thats what would get me upset.Even when he was healthy he would do this.

Like I said in my previous post,its not his fault he got such a big payday,I just dont think he worked hard enough to show that their faith in him was justified.It isnt rocket science to improve your first step quickness to the rim.Its something I believe he could have improved on a while back.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy