[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The official cap space thread for 2019/20
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/28/2018  4:57 PM
while its a fluid number, the way I see it we are good to do a max contract.
Salary for next year per league is $109mil. We at 60mm.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/NYK.html

I do read we need to clear more to get Durant Max deal at 38mm.
I can't speak for if that's what he is looking for despite the logic that players don't leave money on the table.

perhaps we can clarify before we start dumping contract threads.

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
12/28/2018  5:04 PM
Nalod wrote:while its a fluid number, the way I see it we are good to do a max contract.
Salary for next year per league is $109mil. We at 60mm.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/NYK.html

I do read we need to clear more to get Durant Max deal at 38mm.
I can't speak for if that's what he is looking for despite the logic that players don't leave money on the table.

perhaps we can clarify before we start dumping contract threads.

Is that taking into consideration only $1mil of lance’s contract is guaranteed?

fwk00
Member: #6048

12/28/2018  6:09 PM
Stop calculating this. We shouldn't want to sign anyone but a reasonable contract who fits the team.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/28/2018  6:31 PM
KFS has a really good handle on this. It looks like the Knicks are about 9 mil short for KD.
https://knicksfilmschool.com/salary-cap/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
smackeddog
Member: #883
12/29/2018  5:27 AM
Assuming we intend to sign a max FA, I don't get why we're prioritising Mud over Frank because we won't be able to re-sign him, unless he's willing to take the exemption you get when you spend up to the cap.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

12/29/2018  8:34 AM
smackeddog wrote:Assuming we intend to sign a max FA, I don't get why we're prioritising Mud over Frank because we won't be able to re-sign him, unless he's willing to take the exemption you get when you spend up to the cap.

We should not be trying tuioi sign a max FA. We are not ready.
Agree that we shouldn't prioritize Mudiay over Frank. It's a really stupid thing to do. That's the kat that had me bothered about what Fizdale is trying to prove. We are not going thi win with Mudiay type players. We proved this with Melo, they are not good for a team. But we can't seem to shake off this obsession fir empty stats quoted from 5 game shooting streaks. Sucks to he Knicks fan when you have to put up with people who worship this ****.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/29/2018  8:50 AM
CrushAlot wrote:KFS has a really good handle on this. It looks like the Knicks are about 9 mil short for KD.
https://knicksfilmschool.com/salary-cap/

Anyone know the amount of space gained if Lee were stretched ?

Nalod
USA
12/29/2018  8:55 AM
That KFS thing is very good. Thx for posting.
Can’t teams delay signing their draft picks a bit in a weird computation that allows them to go over? For example we draft a rookie that is due 6mm we sign KD, then sign the rookie?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/31/2018  9:13 AM
Nalod wrote:That KFS thing is very good. Thx for posting.
Can't teams delay signing their draft picks a bit in a weird computation that allows them to go over? For example we draft a rookie that is due 6mm we sign KD, then sign the rookie?

Not their first round picks because they have specific cap holds associated (based on where they are drafted). 2nd round picks aren't guaranteed, but if they were to make the team, they must have a minimum cap hit already on there. But i'm sure there are plenty of loopholes out there.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/31/2018  7:22 PM
We gotta have the bag ready if KD were to really want to sign here. With our rookies and young and players plus the possibility of drafting Zion... KD could see this being alot of fun.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

12/31/2018  10:49 PM
Nalod wrote:That KFS thing is very good. Thx for posting.
Can't teams delay signing their draft picks a bit in a weird computation that allows them to go over? For example we draft a rookie that is due 6mm we sign KD, then sign the rookie?

RSE/Rookie Salary Exception

First round picks and their slotted salary is an exception to the cap. If you are a taxpayer or a repeater taxpayer, you can go over the cap to sign your first round pick(s) at their slotted value.

So let's say the GSW lose Durant to free agency this offseason. And they want to sign someone like Rudy Gay or a center they think can help. In this case, since they own Klay Thompson's Bird Rights, THEN it would make sense to sign the street free agent first then sign Thompson to an extension. This situation is more in line what you are discussing. This is why Bird Rights are so insanely valuable and so neccessary to build a winning team.

Second Round Picks have no slotted money nor any guaranteed money implied. 2nd Round picks are far more interesting in these kind of situations. Jordan Bell was only signed for two years by the GSW because of their cap situation. There is no RSE for 2nd round picks.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/1/2019  8:52 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Assuming we intend to sign a max FA, I don't get why we're prioritising Mud over Frank because we won't be able to re-sign him, unless he's willing to take the exemption you get when you spend up to the cap.

Agree that we shouldn't prioritize Mudiay over Frank. It's a really stupid thing to do. That's the kat that had me bothered about what Fizdale is trying to prove. We are not going thi win with Mudiay type players. We proved this with Melo, they are not good for a team. But we can't seem to shake off this obsession fir empty stats quoted from 5 game shooting streaks. Sucks to he Knicks fan when you have to put up with people who worship this ****.

If KD wants to come here, we are suddenly pretty ready! We've certainly stumbled of late, but for the most part, I think our effort, upside and a healthy KP with a KD makes us a 500+ team, with upside from our youth.

As far as Mudiay, we have to see if there are diamonds in the rough and players worth keeping, Mudiay is one, I think, and with no guarantee that KD is coming, we have to build depth and talent.

And what exactly has Frank done with his time to earn more time?

Now- I don't want to let Mudiay go to sign KD- he is great, but needs help.

I think Lee is a horrible contract that I never liked and if we can dump it-even with the cost of an asset like Frank or Burke, we should do it.

Nalod
USA
1/1/2019  10:47 AM
Burke is not an asset. He is a bench role player on a team at the bottom of the league.
Frank is an asset at which you either love him or hate him. The debate is resolved by time and evidence and one we have exausted. I’m thinking he is a system player on a team void one for now. If ever to contend there will be one. Thus, frank is a keeper.
How that happens?, well that’s just for time to show us.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/1/2019  11:16 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:

The Knicks need to be ready to sign a max guy this offseason. After KP signs his extension it becomes much harder to create max cap space. In regards to prioritizing Frank over Mudiay, I think the Knicks would love to be starting Frank and giving him more minutes. Frank has just not played well. The Melo/Mudiay comparison doesn't fit. Not sure why you keep making it but it shows your bias against Mudiay. The starting point guard job is there for Frank if he plays well. It has always been there since he was drafted.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
The official cap space thread for 2019/20

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy