12/25/2018  3:28 PM
fitzfarm wrote:Sign Vonleh for a bargain before its to late

It's already too late.

technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
12/25/2018  4:17 PM
The NBA is a strange place for big men in the age of 3s and positionless basketball. Seriously talented and skilled big men like Greg Monroe (capable of being a double double guy a excellent passing) sign for $2 mil contracts.

The excellent Julius Randle just scored a 2 year $18m deal. I don’t think Vonleh is quite as a good (yet) but perhaps if he demonstrates he could be a 40% 3pt shooter he might be worth more than that.

In this climate what would it take to lock him up for a years? I’m also presuming Kanter would be willing to take significantly less money to stay in NY after the season, so Vonleh would also be in competition for money with his own big man teammate.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

12/25/2018  4:50 PM
technomaster wrote:The NBA is a strange place for big men in the age of 3s and positionless basketball. Seriously talented and skilled big men like Greg Monroe (capable of being a double double guy a excellent passing) sign for $2 mil contracts.

The excellent Julius Randle just scored a 2 year $18m deal. I don’t think Vonleh is quite as a good (yet) but perhaps if he demonstrates he could be a 40% 3pt shooter he might be worth more than that.

In this climate what would it take to lock him up for a years? I’m also presuming Kanter would be willing to take significantly less money to stay in NY after the season, so Vonleh would also be in competition for money with his own big man teammate.

I would be furious if we signed no defense Kanter over the much better Vonleh... Kanter’s defense is so bad He’s only worth the Vet minimal. He’s like a better rebounding John Wallace with less range.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

12/25/2018  4:51 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:Sign Vonleh for a bargain before its to late

It's already too late.

I hope not. Unless Perry already has a promise from Durant or KL, Vonleh deserves NY.

ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
12/25/2018  6:10 PM
Vonleh has been a revelation this year. The most complete player on the team outside of KP. Now that Trier is signed we just need to lock up Vonleh and Dotson both being big pieces moving forward. Vonleh even more so as big men with his skills are more valuable in todays NBA. Kanter can sign for a bag of cheetos if he so desires but nothing more. I doubt he will because he thinks he can be an all-star. Vonley is a keeper
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/25/2018  7:32 PM
Sign him now and it eats cap. Sign him later, we can go over a bit.
Something not right about Frank. Looks too thin.
KP out for year? Not terrible. My take is he gets a max deal if he sits. He gets hurt prior no deal.
But what about “the itch to play” I read about? We’ll see.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/26/2018  9:10 AM
I love him next to KP next year (if we don't get KD.) He rebounds, runs the floor, and stretches the floor. I'm hoping we can reserve the room exception for him. About 2 years 10 mil.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

12/26/2018  10:23 AM
Knixkik wrote:I love him next to KP next year (if we don't get KD.) He rebounds, runs the floor, and stretches the floor. I'm hoping we can reserve the room exception for him. About 2 years 10 mil.

It wouldn't shock me at all if he got more then $5 mil per, as a matter of fact i think he will and could get much closer to $10 mil. Maybe like $8 mil per. What did KOQ get from the Pacers? I think Vonleh showed himself to be better then KOQ and i'm a KOQ fan.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/26/2018  10:54 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
Knixkik wrote:I love him next to KP next year (if we don't get KD.) He rebounds, runs the floor, and stretches the floor. I'm hoping we can reserve the room exception for him. About 2 years 10 mil.

It wouldn't shock me at all if he got more then $5 mil per, as a matter of fact i think he will and could get much closer to $10 mil. Maybe like $8 mil per. What did KOQ get from the Pacers? I think Vonleh showed himself to be better then KOQ and i'm a KOQ fan.

Yeah i can see him getting more, but big men are tough to predict. KOQ got about 5 mil from the pacers, but i think he will only get minimum next year. Obviously Vonleh is younger and still with upside, but the big man market is really volatile. Vonleh is a nice role player who is starting to space the floor which really helps. I love him though, and hope we retain him.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

12/26/2018  12:10 PM
Knixkik wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Yeah i can see him getting more, but big men are tough to predict. KOQ got about 5 mil from the pacers, but i think he will only get minimum next year. Obviously Vonleh is younger and still with upside, but the big man market is really volatile. Vonleh is a nice role player who is starting to space the floor which really helps. I love him though, and hope we retain him.

I forgot that KOQ only got $5 mil from the Pacers and thought he got more for some reason. I think Vonleh is a better player then KOQ is though. He's got that crazy long wingspan and he can shoot the 3 ball better then KOQ can and plays better defense then KOQ. KOQ's best work was his passing and his work around the basket. I would hope that Perry and Mills have already spoken to the agents of each one of our young guys to get a feel on if we're gonna be able to bring that back at a reasonable cost next year and if not then they need to trade Vonleh and any other player they know they won't be able to bring back. I'd absolutely hate to see Vonleh get traded but if we aren't gonna be able to re-sign him then we need to get what we can for him.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/26/2018  12:23 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

I forgot that KOQ only got $5 mil from the Pacers and thought he got more for some reason. I think Vonleh is a better player then KOQ is though. He's got that crazy long wingspan and he can shoot the 3 ball better then KOQ can and plays better defense then KOQ. KOQ's best work was his passing and his work around the basket. I would hope that Perry and Mills have already spoken to the agents of each one of our young guys to get a feel on if we're gonna be able to bring that back at a reasonable cost next year and if not then they need to trade Vonleh and any other player they know they won't be able to bring back. I'd absolutely hate to see Vonleh get traded but if we aren't gonna be able to re-sign him then we need to get what we can for him.

Why would another team trade for a player that is going to be a free agent at seasons end unless he can help them now contend?
And if they did, do we take back a longer contract? I want picks.
Vonleh is not that consistent yet and also gets that working in this environment helps his value.
We knew this going in. We can't keep all the good ones.
If the system works there will be other "Vonleh's to work with also. It might be better to keep attracting players on very favorable deals still knowing some will pan out better than others.
Vonleh has some good games and some that are not so. I sense your high on the kid at the moment and I do like what he has done. Im not convinced he is a keeper nor am I extending him and eating cap space.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/26/2018  2:34 PM
Nalod wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Why would another team trade for a player that is going to be a free agent at seasons end unless he can help them now contend?
And if they did, do we take back a longer contract? I want picks.
Vonleh is not that consistent yet and also gets that working in this environment helps his value.
We knew this going in. We can't keep all the good ones.
If the system works there will be other "Vonleh's to work with also. It might be better to keep attracting players on very favorable deals still knowing some will pan out better than others.
Vonleh has some good games and some that are not so. I sense your high on the kid at the moment and I do like what he has done. Im not convinced he is a keeper nor am I extending him and eating cap space.

I actually agree with you here

You can't really judge players in this environment, because everyone is playing for their next contract, showing they got talent, they put the team 2nd, and you can see that by the low assists as a team, the inconsistent play on both ends..

KOQ had a few solid games last season, but on a playoff team he's not even in the rotatio, same fro BEASLY..

ES
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
12/26/2018  11:48 PM
I like Vonleh, but we are going to have to preserve cap space for the first few days of FA. If Vonleh is willing to wait a week, we probably could resign him to a reasonable deal of $4-5 mill per season for 2-3 years. I doubt he gets more than that on the open market unless some team sees him as a starter. He has played fairly well, but he mans the same spot as KP and he is a bit undersized for a center (though centers are getting smaller, so he probably would be fine against most teams). If we strike out on KD or Leonard, I think we probably save our FA money and wait until 2020. We could resign a guy like Kanter to a one-year deal and then Lee's contract will expire in 2020, which should create enough cap space (with some small maneuvers) for a max FA, even after we resign KP this summer.
Trust the Process
Sign Vonleh to a multi year contract now

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy