[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Swift given many offers; Pau update too
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/19/2004  7:37 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_3193680,00.html

Griz boss West says slow offseason not a bad sign
Status of Gasol, Swift remains to be decided

By Ronald Tillery,
Contact
September 19, 2004

Grizzlies president Jerry West remains convinced that his team can continue to make noise despite a relatively quiet offseason.

NBA training camps begin in less than three weeks, and the Griz are expected to prepare for the 2004-05 campaign with a group almost identical to the one that won 50 games last season.

"Our question is still, are we going to be able to rebound enough?" West said. "We think we're going to be a competitive team. There will be a different expectation level here. And there are teams behind us that helped themselves. But I'll tell you that we don't have many bad players on our team."

The Griz are preparing to play in a modern arena without a new center. And while West clearly is ecstatic about FedExForum, he isn't necessarily dwelling on a perceived hole in the Grizzlies' on-court foundation. West conceded that the search for a beefy big man is all but dead.

"It's never completely over. But sometimes you just can't get things done," West said. "We tried very hard to do a trade and we just couldn't get anything done."

That's not to say the Griz will remain inactive before camp begins Oct. 5.

West said he must deal with several unresolved issues in the coming weeks.

As much as the center position has been in the forefront of the Grizzlies' summer dealings, West is now faced with the team's future at power forward.

Pau Gasol recently hired agent Arn Tellem to negotiate a long-term, lucrative contract extension with the Grizzlies. Insiders believe Gasol could receive a six-year deal worth the maximum amount allowed, but no less than $70 million.
"We've started negotiating with him, and we've made him a very hefty offer," West said. "I do anticipate that it will be done sooner than later."

Teams have until Oct. 29 to extend first-round picks from Gasol's draft class of 2001. West said the Grizzlies have no desire to play hardball with Gasol.

Gasol is under contract for the coming season, and would become a restricted free agent next summer if he doesn't agree to an extension before November.

Stromile Swift, meanwhile, appears ready to voluntarily take a similar route.

The Grizzlies have offered Swift, a restricted free agent, several deals. Swift and his agent, Mason Ashe, haven't agreed to those terms apparently because of multiple incentive clauses.

"I'm going to talk to his people again (this week)," West said, "but it would not surprise me if he would sign his one-year tender and become (an unrestricted) free agent next summer."

Asked if Swift would be in a Grizzly uniform this season, West replied: "Yes. Absolutely," before adding the team had no desire to trade Swift. In the same vein, West scoffed at the notion that the Griz made a mistake by matching Cleveland's ante for restricted free agent Jake Tsakalidis. The 7-2 center re-signed with the Griz for three years and nearly $9 million.

"We have no size," West said. "And I'd say that Jake helped us in a bunch of games last year. To me, it was a no-brainer."

West said he isn't worried about the possibility that Griz will have 17 players under contract when training camp starts. NBA rules prohibit teams from employing more than 15 players during the season.

"Those things take care of themselves," West said. "We'll keep the best 15 players. We're trying to get as many assets as we can."

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 09/19/2004 19:41:07]
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/19/2004  7:45 PM
Sounds like Swift won't stay in Memphis after this coming season.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
9/19/2004  7:49 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

If he signs the one year tender offer, the Grizzlies cannot trade him, unless it's a sign and trade after July 1, 2005.
¿ △ ?
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/19/2004  7:57 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by MaTT4281:

If he signs the one year tender offer, the Grizzlies cannot trade him, unless it's a sign and trade after July 1, 2005.

All I meant was, it sounds like he will stay there for the 1 year, but he will end up signing somewhere else after the year.
Bonn1997
USA
9/19/2004  8:05 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by MaTT4281:

All I meant was, it sounds like he will stay there for the 1 year, but he will end up signing somewhere else after the year.
It sounds like he at least wants the freedom and bargaining power that come with being an UNrestricted free agent. He might end up re-signing in Memphis anyway, but he'll probably get better competing offers elsewhere. And he can then come back to Jerry West in Memphis and say something like "Team X, Y, and Z have given me $60 mil contracts. I'll stay here if you beat those offers." Teams are probably staying away from even making offers now because he's an RFA and they expect West to match any offers.
crzymdups
USA
9/19/2004  8:07 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

Yeah, I know, I wasn't trying to disagree. I should have added that Jerry is probably trying like hell to trade him. I bet he was trying that Curry trade all summer. But I didn't want to add that because I didn't want to see a bunch of 'how we can trade Shandon for Swift' threads popping up.

Does anyone know if there's a deadline for sign and trades? Is it before camp?

Also, I think if the Grizzlies don't make any changes, they may miss the playoffs...
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
9/19/2004  8:15 PM
Jerry is probably trying like hell to trade him.
He should be trying like hell to sign him to a long-term contract. When you have a young kid with that much ability, you've gotta keep him on your team. And once/if he signs him to a long-term contract, he should give him more minutes and Lorenzen Wright fewer minutes

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 09/19/2004 20:16:34]
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/19/2004  11:43 PM
Yeah, Jerry is an idiot! The dude is clueless!
Bonn1997
USA
9/19/2004  11:49 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Yeah, Jerry is an idiot! The dude is clueless!
Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I don't think he took the right steps necessary to get his team deeper in the playoffs than it got last season (a sweep in the 1st rd)
crzymdups
USA
9/20/2004  8:24 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
He should be trying like hell to sign him to a long-term contract. When you have a young kid with that much ability, you've gotta keep him on your team. And once/if he signs him to a long-term contract, he should give him more minutes and Lorenzen Wright fewer minutes

Wasn't the point of the article that he'd already tried that all summer and that the sides were light years apart? And that Swift would be taking the one-year qualifier which makes him a lock to leave in Free Agency, with the Grizzlies getting nothing? Wouldn't that make you want to trade him? He obviously doesn't want to be in Memphis.
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
9/20/2004  8:33 AM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Wasn't the point of the article that he'd already tried that all summer and that the sides were light years apart? And that Swift would be taking the one-year qualifier which makes him a lock to leave in Free Agency, with the Grizzlies getting nothing? Wouldn't that make you want to trade him? He obviously doesn't want to be in Memphis.
Maybe he just hasn't given Swift an attractive enough offer. He also hasn't played Swift enough minutes to be happy in Memphis. Those are things he would/should have done differently if he wanted Swift in the organization for the long-term
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/20/2004  8:36 AM
Not all players are worth keeping. Sometimes you let players go for nothing. They got Brian Cardinal for nothing. Let swift go and let his salary fall off. Swift is athletic, but average in a lot of ways. He did not have a break out season and they might not think all that much of him. They may just yet try to trade him.

They let the market judge his worth. Face it, The grizz said they would match, but were never tested for it. Nor was any team else willing to step up and even make an offer, or try (at least publically) initiate a sign and trade.

West has done a great job with that team in two years. HE does not have Isiahs unrestrcited budget.
Swift given many offers; Pau update too

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy