[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Would a Jabari Parker for Tim Hardaway trade make sense
Author Thread
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

12/14/2018  11:31 AM
Does the signing of Trier, who seems to do all of the things we wish Hardaway could do except more efficiently, make Hardaway expendable? Follow me here. Parker would help balance the roster in the short term, and his club option for 2019-20 would give the Knicks much needed cap flexibility to sign a max free agent. While Durant is a long shot, he also has a relationship with Trier as a mentor. We would also have a healthy unicorn to help attract Durant who looks destined for a breakup with GS.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/13/allonzo-triers-charmed-season-may-be-knicks-kevin-durant-key/

AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/14/2018  11:43 AM
you mean bring in a guy who plays Knox, Mario and KP's position plus makes more then THJ.

What exactly does trier do that THJ doesn't, other than chase down blocks?

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/14/2018  11:47 AM
knicks1248 wrote:you mean bring in a guy who plays Knox, Mario and KP's position plus makes more then THJ.

You mean, what does Jabari do that THJr doesn't: No cap space in 2019-2020.

You did catch the BIG FUCKING point of the thread, right?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/14/2018  12:34 PM
Yeah, this deal makes sense for us. Not so much for the bulls, who already have money sunk into Lacine. They would need a sweetner, like a pick, to be interested.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Rookie

12/14/2018  12:37 PM
knicks1248 wrote:you mean bring in a guy who plays Knox, Mario and KP's position plus makes more then THJ.

Better perimeter D, better defensive awareness on switches, doesn't get completely lost and out of position on D leading to easy buckets. Guards both guard positions efficiently.

Better at creating his own shot, shoots more efficient high percentage shots, better at getting to the basket, better at getting to the free throw line. Actually passes the ball 'some times'. Better ball handler, better court awareness, plays under control. Has a plan when he has the ball. Better rebounder, shoots for a higher percentage since he doesn't force bad shots.

Just a few of my observations. I think he has a higher ceiling than Timmy, is younger and on a better contract.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/14/2018  12:47 PM
martin wrote:

You mean, what does Jabari do that THJr doesn't: No cap space in 2019-2020.

You did catch the BIG FUCKING point of the thread, right?

You mad bro?

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

12/14/2018  12:48 PM
I think key is that I believe Jabari deal for next season is a team option.

So they can buy him out or let him go without a cap impact and not sure Hardaway/Levine combo makes any sense.

Listen Timmy is absolutely brain dead and awful —- he is 3x the gunner Melo ever was — his b-ball IQ and shot selection are epically bad.....I am for getting rid of him just don’t think Bulls would do that deal.

Rookie

12/14/2018  1:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2018  1:31 PM
LivingLegend wrote:I think key is that I believe Jabari deal for next season is a team option.

So they can buy him out or let him go without a cap impact and not sure Hardaway/Levine combo makes any sense.

Listen Timmy is absolutely brain dead and awful —- he is 3x the gunner Melo ever was — his b-ball IQ and shot selection are epically bad.....I am for getting rid of him just don’t think Bulls would do that deal.

Maybe Courtney Lee would be a better fit. Veteran locker room guy who is not so much of a defensive liability. A Lee deal would still give us cap flexibility. Could even throw in Lance to make $$ work. Lance has a reasonable buyout next season, also a good locker room guy which they sorely need and a competent defender. Not sexy but it would help both teams

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/14/2018  1:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2018  1:38 PM
I would trade THJ for Parker (and a pick) in a heartbeat. I would let Courtney Lee rehab his value so I could trade him too.
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/14/2018  1:48 PM
Wasn't there a bunch of clips showing how lazy Jabari Parker is on defense? I don't think I want any part of another lazy player
BigDaddyG

12/14/2018  2:00 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Wasn't there a bunch of clips showing how lazy Jabari Parker is on defense? I don't think I want any part of another lazy player

He would just be here for the rest of the season. The key would be the cap space the deal opens for this upcoming free agency. But the Bulls can just cut ties with Parker after the season. Why would they bring Tim on for additional years?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
nykshaknbake
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #492
12/14/2018  2:02 PM
I would do definitely do it just to get rid of THJ. Streaky chucker with no defense. Let the Trier and Dotson get more burn. Would set us up with a good chuck of cap next year too.
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

12/14/2018  2:03 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Wasn't there a bunch of clips showing how lazy Jabari Parker is on defense? I don't think I want any part of another lazy player

Dont matter. Would be a cap clearing move.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
12/14/2018  2:23 PM
If the goal is to clear cap space, I'd entertain a deal for Jabari.

At the same time, the reality of the Knicks is that we're all about contingency plans. There's no way to guarantee that Durant will come here. Wherever he goes (I'd bet he's thinking about how to return to OKC out of loyalty to the fanbase), he'll make them an instant contender (duh).

I know folks here are hit or miss with THJr. His effort as the #1 option on offense has been admirable and he's absolutely improved as a player this year. At the same time, even with the growth, I don't get the sense people trust him as a 2nd or 3rd option on a contender. We also have a glut of young and old SG-sized players (Dotson, Frank, Trier, Lee)

That takes us to Jabari. He's sort of like Carmelo, only less accomplished at the NBA level. His herky-jerky style is known to even throw his teammates off balance. He has surgically repaired knees and seems to be an injury risk. And he has proven to be a sub-par defender. And most importantly, he's having a really hard time earning minutes on a bad Chicago team. (some reports today say he's out of the rotation)

In the event you don't get the free agent you're looking for, will the Knicks be satisfied either letting his cap hold go or, perhaps worse, feel the pressure to re-sign him to make sure they get some value out of losing THJr?

Note that everything changes when KP returns. Presuming he returns to pre-injury form or better...

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/14/2018  2:36 PM
How about sending Hardaway Jr and Burke to Detroit for Ish Smith, Reggie Bullock, Glen Robinson II, Stanley Johnson.

For Detroit would allow them to add an upgrade which I don't see them being able to add otherwise. They bring in 2 players that played for Michigan so they can market that as well.

For the Knicks it's all about the cap savings. Smith(Phoenix) & Bullock(Rockets)are both solid enough to command a couple 2nd rounders in return if forwarded to other teams. Stanley Johnson may as well if not kept to ride out the season with our lack for SF depth.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigDaddyG

12/14/2018  2:40 PM
technomaster wrote:If the goal is to clear cap space, I'd entertain a deal for Jabari.

At the same time, the reality of the Knicks is that we're all about contingency plans. There's no way to guarantee that Durant will come here. Wherever he goes (I'd bet he's thinking about how to return to OKC out of loyalty to the fanbase), he'll make them an instant contender (duh).

I know folks here are hit or miss with THJr. His effort as the #1 option on offense has been admirable and he's absolutely improved as a player this year. At the same time, even with the growth, I don't get the sense people trust him as a 2nd or 3rd option on a contender. We also have a glut of young and old SG-sized players (Dotson, Frank, Trier, Lee)

That takes us to Jabari. He's sort of like Carmelo, only less accomplished at the NBA level. His herky-jerky style is known to even throw his teammates off balance. He has surgically repaired knees and seems to be an injury risk. And he has proven to be a sub-par defender. And most importantly, he's having a really hard time earning minutes on a bad Chicago team. (some reports today say he's out of the rotation)

In the event you don't get the free agent you're looking for, will the Knicks be satisfied either letting his cap hold go or, perhaps worse, feel the pressure to re-sign him to make sure they get some value out of losing THJr?

Note that everything changes when KP returns. Presuming he returns to pre-injury form or better...

Jabari wouldn't really make sense long-term. You want him taking minutes away from Knox. KP will probably get major minutes at 4 and I personally think Vonleh would be a better fit. The only benefit of this move would be the potential cap savings.
Chandler
Member: #6197

12/14/2018  3:15 PM
I get that this is supposed to be a financial move and an interesting idea in that regard, but i'd pass

There was one time a couple of years ago where I thought about him as a Knick. Not now. Now Jabari is a cancer . Bucks let him walk (couldn't flip him for a bag of peanuts). Bulls were foolish (what else is new). Let's steer clear of that

AND, I actually like THJ. He's competitive as hell. He is trying to expand his game -- e.g., drawing charges, many games he's moving the ball. He's getting to the line. He has shown up big time in a number of games and can hit a clutch shot. I read somewhere he's actually right at the top of the league hitting threes when he's trailing a play. I'd prefer he stay here and continue to evolve. Less clear to me where he plays best (2 or 3)

(5)(5)
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

12/14/2018  5:10 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:How about sending Hardaway Jr and Burke to Detroit for Ish Smith, Reggie Bullock, Glen Robinson II, Stanley Johnson.

For Detroit would allow them to add an upgrade which I don't see them being able to add otherwise. They bring in 2 players that played for Michigan so they can market that as well.

For the Knicks it's all about the cap savings. Smith(Phoenix) & Bullock(Rockets)are both solid enough to command a couple 2nd rounders in return if forwarded to other teams. Stanley Johnson may as well if not kept to ride out the season with our lack for SF depth.

Burke has zero trade value on his own. To create a salary match and/or to equalize out roster spots in a moving trade, sure, he has that basic function, but no real value on his own.

I'd make that deal, but Detroit would never take it. I actually like Ish Smith quite a bit, even though he's got limitations.

Knicks would move THJr right now for zero positive return. If they could dump his contract cleanly in a trade, just to dump it, and take an equal expiring back to waive, they'd do it. They wouldn't blink on it.

I give THJr in that he's burning hard. He's 250 percent effort and his contract status means he could get away with dogging it. So that's to his credit. But functionally he's a bad contract. Someone will try to compare him to other bad contracts to justify his contract, but the marketplace forces actual assets to be weighed out by current market correction.

As the value of cost controlled assets increased, the damage done by the Bargs trade increased. In contrast, when rookie scale slotting went up and is still going up, the trade off splits towards tax paying teams versus non tax paying teams. I.E. you can't just take THJrs contract in a snapshot against only a specific year and against a specific set of alternatives. In the NFL, where contracts are non guaranteed, that might a different story, but with NBA long term guaranteed contracts, that's not a viable way to manage your resources.

It's a bad contract. Progressively it will get worse in market value over time. He is trying hard so it makes people not want to criticize him as much.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

12/14/2018  7:22 PM
I would trade THJr just to get Dot mins
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718
Member: #1694

12/14/2018  7:23 PM
Hardaway has been burned on 3 pointers like 3 to 4 times already
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Would a Jabari Parker for Tim Hardaway trade make sense

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy