Ron Baker appreaciation thread
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/20/2018  10:33 AM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:Out of the league in 2 years. Will be on a different team next year.

It was his contract and the current situation we were in that made signing him stupid, We needed a PG desperately, and we signed Baker to a ridiculous contract

It was like signing JR smiths brother, when we needed a back up center desperately, then watching tyson chandler break his leg a month in.

We needed a PG desperately, and we signed Bakers to a ridiculous contract

Your brilliant in hindsight. You must look at the moment and then the thinking by which he was signed. He played great, had upside and perhaps other teams were ready to sign him.
You just assume you know all the facts. I’m not saying it was a good signing because obviously the kid never got it going last year and this year a new coach and other roster changes. Did his signing prevent another? Did he ruin our cap? His play ruin the season? He was a non factor.
Trier has taken his spot. Mills is here so is Trier.
What player did Baker block because of his signing?

who would you rather have rondo mentoring frank or baker.

ES
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

12/20/2018  10:55 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Signed by Wizards
Totally a NBA level player
May not have been a rotation player on a good team

Guys like Rob will not put up the numbers but bring forward intangibles and certain on court attributes that are worth having as a fourth or fifth guard on your roster.

He definitely will be good for their locker room. Not a bad guy to have on the roster but with Frank, Mudiay, Burke, Trier, Tim, Dot and Lee in the back court and only 3 centers he had to go. His deal was one that would have fit in a lot of trade scenarios.

Good points. I would add that it's not only locker room. a good team knows you need good guys for your practice and scrimmage. Do you think any Knick developed by having Beasley guard him in practice? Do you think Knicks developed having pesky Ron guard him? (Answers: no; yes)

I wish him the best and hope he prospers. Right now are team is such a mess and in search for talent we apparently cannot justify good locker room and practice guys.

(5)(5)
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
12/20/2018  11:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/20/2018  11:40 AM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:Out of the league in 2 years. Will be on a different team next year.

It was his contract and the current situation we were in that made signing him stupid, We needed a PG desperately, and we signed Baker to a ridiculous contract

It was like signing JR smiths brother, when we needed a back up center desperately, then watching tyson chandler break his leg a month in.

Your brilliant in hindsight. You must look at the moment and then the thinking by which he was signed. He played great, had upside and perhaps other teams were ready to sign him.
You just assume you know all the facts. I’m not saying it was a good signing because obviously the kid never got it going last year and this year a new coach and other roster changes. Did his signing prevent another? Did he ruin our cap? His play ruin the season? He was a non factor.

You are asking an unanswerable question. Obviously, we wouldn't have left a roster spot open, so someone was blocked. As far as who we dont know because Ron was there with us. Knowing Rin Baker sucks doesn't take hindsight. I and others said it when the deal was signed. No it wasn't a huge impact, but it was dumb in that we got no value out of it and any sane person knew we wouldn't.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/20/2018  12:23 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

who would you rather have rondo mentoring frank or baker.

Baker. https://nypost.com/2018/12/13/david-fizdale-has-an-idea-what-the-future-holds-for-ron-baker/

Basically Fizdale, an assistant on Miami's championship teams and hired by Pat Riley thinks Baker will make a fine coach one day. So basically I'll take Fizdale's cred over yours.
Rondo's personality is well documented as being "difficult". If you don't know what I am talking about then you obviously are not informed to make this suggestion. You need to know why Rondo is not like most other players. I doubt a career in coaching or effective mentoring is in his skill set.

Nalod
USA
12/20/2018  12:38 PM
nykshaknbake wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

You are asking an unanswerable question. Obviously, we wouldn't have left a roster spot open, so someone was blocked. As far as who we dont know because Ron was there with us. Knowing Rin Baker sucks doesn't take hindsight. I and others said it when the deal was signed. No it wasn't a huge impact, but it was dumb in that we got no value out of it and any sane person knew we wouldn't.

I did not find him being signed for two years objectionable based on his first year play.
I don't think that his contract has been problematic for us.
Noahs size and length of his contract was.
It is answerable because there has to be contrast. Its not like you or other fans are offended by the money. Its not like your upset Dolan over spent. if he was signed for half I'd be just as disappointed. Perhaps you might not have been vocal about it if not the amount? Hornacek loved the kid and saw himself in his play. Fizdale will have his favorites also. No big deal.
And we don't know if knicks knew there were to be other offers for baker.
Me, Im disappointed in his play. I won't comment on others money. Since it didn't co*kblock another signing then and he Trier has been a nice surprise I say: "Good for the team for being prepared to seize an opportunity on Trier and creating LUCK". This year was about doing that and begin forging some players to keep going forward.
All teams make mistakes.

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
12/22/2018  1:47 PM
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:Signed by Wizards
Totally a NBA level player
May not have been a rotation player on a good team

Guys like Rob will not put up the numbers but bring forward intangibles and certain on court attributes that are worth having as a fourth or fifth guard on your roster.

He definitely will be good for their locker room. Not a bad guy to have on the roster but with Frank, Mudiay, Burke, Trier, Tim, Dot and Lee in the back court and only 3 centers he had to go. His deal was one that would have fit in a lot of trade scenarios.

Good points. I would add that it's not only locker room. a good team knows you need good guys for your practice and scrimmage. Do you think any Knick developed by having Beasley guard him in practice? Do you think Knicks developed having pesky Ron guard him? (Answers: no; yes)

I wish him the best and hope he prospers. Right now are team is such a mess and in search for talent we apparently cannot justify good locker room and practice guys.

Ron Baker regularly hit torched in games. So if they did develop with him guarding them it was just developing over confidence. Additionally you know what wasn't being developed playing against B as ker? Defense.

This isn't football. You need guys that can contribute in games. There are few to no spots for guys that are there to cheerlead or mentor who cant play.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/22/2018  9:07 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/23/2018  7:20 AM
Perry is looking simply for most talent at cheap price.
Ron wasn't that. Ron is a guy you want around a team already having it's rotation and talent to compete in place.
Mudiay isn't helping the team win, but he is talented and could improve. That's why they invest in him. Same with Trier and even Burke to an extent.

It's ugly to watch us play, but in the longrun, I hope this horrible ugly season helps us out.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

12/23/2018  5:01 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Perry is looking simply for most talent at cheap price.

Mudiay isn't helping the team win, but he is talented and could improve. That's why they invest in him. Same with Trier and even Burke to an extent.

It's ugly to watch us play, but in the longrun, I hope this horrible ugly season helps us out.

Perry HAS/HAD NO CHOICE

He walked into a team that was caplocked and had contracts/players that no other team wanted without losing positive assets to shed those contracts/players.

No one was going out of their way to "invest" in Burke and Mudiay. The Knicks were gutted at the PG position and those two were the cheapest/most available options with some actual starting experience. You are right about the cheap price situation but I question the idea of any "investment" in Burke/Mudiay.

Trier can be seen as an investment.

With Zinger hurt and MRob looking iffy at times and Kanter in semi-revolt mode, the team needed to hold onto Kornet. Barring that, it could have easily be Kornet cut and Baker left on the roster. Baker's contract could have helped at the deadline in a trade. Cut Kornet, decent chance you can still get him back later , not so with Baker ( as he's on a new team already) Was a positional crunch more than anything.

Nalod
USA
12/23/2018  5:12 PM
If Baker was a chick, she’d be that wholesome kinda midwestern chick you hook up in the dorm drunk. Kind of cute in a softball pitcher kind of way with very strong legs. Very enthusiastic in the sack but not much in common outside of slamming vodka and talking about how good the Baseball Cardinals are going to be and if you can get her Kenny Chesney tickets and take her.
But you don’t marry her.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/24/2018  9:48 AM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/25/2021  11:38 AM
END OF AN ERA

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/25/2021  12:05 PM
martin wrote:END OF AN ERA

Three points per game during his Euroleague run Man, his style of play burned him out physically, I'm guessing. Or maybe his talent was sapped away when he cut his hair? Anyway, best of luck to Ron. Guy gave it his all.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler
Member: #6197

8/25/2021  12:31 PM
his hairdo screamed lacrosse. I wonder if he knew that
(5)(5)
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

8/25/2021  3:02 PM
martin wrote:END OF AN ERA

Thats not Ron, this is Ron ....... The Bowl Cut Lives!

Fixed

Playing issues force Ron Baker to end his playing career prompting him to an unrelated fresh new start

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/25/2021  9:07 PM
I hope he was smart enough to save some of that loot he got paid by the knicks
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
8/25/2021  9:09 PM
Does he need a nurse, cuz I hear Frankie Smokes needs a J.O.B.
Oh, wait, maybe Ron is the nurse...
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/26/2021  8:47 AM
The good news for former basketball players: The NBA offers one of the most generous pension plans of any major sports league. In order to qualify, a player must spend a minimum of three years in the NBA. The yearly pension depends on both the length of time spent in the league and the age the player chooses to start receiving benefits.

A three-year player who opts into the pension at age 62 will receive $56,998 per year. The maximum possible amount is $195,000 per year, reserved for players who spent 11 or more years in the league. In addition, the NBA offers players a league-sponsored 401(k), matching a player’s contributions by as much as 140%.

I remember hearing about this when I was playing pick up with John (Pat Riley's Band-Aid) Crotty years ago. Looks like Baker just barely qualifies.
Good for him.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
8/26/2021  10:01 AM
jrodmc wrote:
The good news for former basketball players: The NBA offers one of the most generous pension plans of any major sports league. In order to qualify, a player must spend a minimum of three years in the NBA. The yearly pension depends on both the length of time spent in the league and the age the player chooses to start receiving benefits.

A three-year player who opts into the pension at age 62 will receive $56,998 per year. The maximum possible amount is $195,000 per year, reserved for players who spent 11 or more years in the league. In addition, the NBA offers players a league-sponsored 401(k), matching a player’s contributions by as much as 140%.

I remember hearing about this when I was playing pick up with John (Pat Riley's Band-Aid) Crotty years ago. Looks like Baker just barely qualifies.
Good for him.

nice humblebrag

did you crush crotty?

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/26/2021  1:31 PM
Marv wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

Good for him.

nice humblebrag

did you crush crotty?

We played on the same team the whole morning. From what I can remember, I crushed it setting picks and rebounding, and passing off. Alot. Which is all I could, or would do. I learned early in life that real NBA players are a different species.

This was back when he had just got done playing in Miami, or maybe one off-season later.

I thought it was awesome that he had a decent retirement plan already. He was the one who mentioned it. "Got my three years in..."

Ron Baker appreaciation thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy