Ron Baker appreaciation thread
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/14/2018  9:15 AM
arkrud wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:Baker's NBA career was going to be based on his ability to hit the 3. He shot 27%. That pretty much sums it up. Sorry dude. You only get to swing and miss so many times before someone else gets to come to bat.

Dude was trash, and it was a horrible way to spend 8 mill. Remember the BAKER BAKER thread i started before the season and I told you he will end up getting cut, and some of ya'll were talking it would be mudiay...smh

concern yourself with the people who paid him the money, and look forward to more signings like this.

Always keep in mind this

On September 26, 2013, the New York Knicks announced Mills would be the executive vice president and general manager of the organization.[7]

The yr we miss the playoffs by 1 game and we have had the worst luck ever since...with 1 or 2 occasional bright spots,it's been all bad for those involve...

Not sure what negative impact Baker has on the Knicks... Actually non.
As far as superstition about Mills its just silly.
He may not be a great bbal mind (or any mind for that matter) but who cares.
He brought in great GM and coach and keeps Dolan from getting back into it.
This is all that is needed from the dude.
He is not picking the players just because he has no idea how.

I thought in order to be considered great, you would have to accomplish great things in the past.. Perry is a good guy, but great(with his track record) no way

Dolan...smh, he hired the guy that has currently constructed a BS roster that has 8 wins and is throwing his money around to g league talented players..

ES
AUTOADVERT
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

12/14/2018  10:46 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:You need more than hard work to play in the NBA. I always wanted him to succeed, he played defense. But he clearly didn't have the talent level to succeed long term. If the coaches told him to focus on defense only that would be bad coaching. But he has been through multiple coaches

I've always liked Ron Baker. I like him still today. He has no produced the way anyone has hoped but I still believe in him as a player.

He needs a league average three point shot, but the modern game has proven with hard work/attrition, a player can better develop that skill over time.

High BBIQ, good decision maker, understands pace and game flow, struggles now to execute. Much of what can offer won't translate into a stat sheet or in counting stats.

He might end up a Danny Woodhead type. Westhoff wanted to keep Woodhead, but the Jets moved on ( and they had reasons to do so) and Woody carved out a nice little career for himself.

Hope Baker goes to the Nets, Heat or Mavericks. Good coaches there that have some pedigree in helping limited players do better.

He's also a reminder about every ****head in the league who falls out of the league for not working hard enough.

Still kills me the Jets gave up on Danny Woodhead.

meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

12/14/2018  4:21 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:You need more than hard work to play in the NBA. I always wanted him to succeed, he played defense. But he clearly didn't have the talent level to succeed long term. If the coaches told him to focus on defense only that would be bad coaching. But he has been through multiple coaches

I've always liked Ron Baker. I like him still today. He has no produced the way anyone has hoped but I still believe in him as a player.

He needs a league average three point shot, but the modern game has proven with hard work/attrition, a player can better develop that skill over time.

High BBIQ, good decision maker, understands pace and game flow, struggles now to execute. Much of what can offer won't translate into a stat sheet or in counting stats.

He might end up a Danny Woodhead type. Westhoff wanted to keep Woodhead, but the Jets moved on ( and they had reasons to do so) and Woody carved out a nice little career for himself.

Hope Baker goes to the Nets, Heat or Mavericks. Good coaches there that have some pedigree in helping limited players do better.

He's also a reminder about every ****head in the league who falls out of the league for not working hard enough.

He has high IQ, but he also seems to play out of control at times. I would have cut Kornet first.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/14/2018  4:41 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
arkrud wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
fishmike wrote:Baker's NBA career was going to be based on his ability to hit the 3. He shot 27%. That pretty much sums it up. Sorry dude. You only get to swing and miss so many times before someone else gets to come to bat.

Dude was trash, and it was a horrible way to spend 8 mill. Remember the BAKER BAKER thread i started before the season and I told you he will end up getting cut, and some of ya'll were talking it would be mudiay...smh

concern yourself with the people who paid him the money, and look forward to more signings like this.

Always keep in mind this

On September 26, 2013, the New York Knicks announced Mills would be the executive vice president and general manager of the organization.[7]

The yr we miss the playoffs by 1 game and we have had the worst luck ever since...with 1 or 2 occasional bright spots,it's been all bad for those involve...

Not sure what negative impact Baker has on the Knicks... Actually non.
As far as superstition about Mills its just silly.
He may not be a great bbal mind (or any mind for that matter) but who cares.
He brought in great GM and coach and keeps Dolan from getting back into it.
This is all that is needed from the dude.
He is not picking the players just because he has no idea how.

I thought in order to be considered great, you would have to accomplish great things in the past.. Perry is a good guy, but great(with his track record) no way

Dolan...smh, he hired the guy that has currently constructed a BS roster that has 8 wins and is throwing his money around to g league talented players..

What g league players is Perry spending Dolan's money on? I liked Baker but his contract was ridiculous. The Knicks chose Kornet for depth at center and possibly potential that they see in him. Perry didn't give Ron his deal.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Welpee
Member: #6239

12/14/2018  9:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/14/2018  9:39 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

He has high IQ, but he also seems to play out of control at times. I would have cut Kornet first.

Say what? lol!
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
12/16/2018  8:41 AM
Baker gives maximum effort, but he just doesn't have the talent to be in the NBA. People are so down on no hustle, no D scorers that they've knee jerk embraced hustle guys who have no talent and can't score. Fact is neither is useful for a competitive team.
knicks1248
12/19/2018  9:00 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:Baker gives maximum effort, but he just doesn't have the talent to be in the NBA. People are so down on no hustle, no D scorers that they've knee jerk embraced hustle guys who have no talent and can't score. Fact is neither is useful for a competitive team.

would have easily cut baker for crawford who was only paid the vet min 1.5 mill, would have been a better locker room guy, better mentor for trier, and still plays point better than frank, trey, and Trier..Plus NY still got love for him

ES
Welpee
Member: #6239

12/19/2018  9:10 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:Baker gives maximum effort, but he just doesn't have the talent to be in the NBA. People are so down on no hustle, no D scorers that they've knee jerk embraced hustle guys who have no talent and can't score. Fact is neither is useful for a competitive team.
+1. People loved his hustle and grit and conveniently ignored all of the pgs constantly blowing by him on defense.
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
12/19/2018  9:27 AM
Welpee wrote:
+1. People loved his hustle and grit and conveniently ignored all of the pgs constantly blowing by him on defense.

A lot of it was fake hustle. The knicks would be over the limit and Baker would be fighting over a screen 30 ft from the basket and get a foul, sending the other team to the ft line. People think "what great hustle", yet its a stupid foul. Clyde would call him out on that , saying "no need for that"

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/19/2018  9:44 AM
he showed up white
he grabbed cash from old white guys
go Ron Baker
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/19/2018  10:22 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:he showed up white
go Ron Baker

Wow. I'm so glad we all live happily on the one way racism street.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/19/2018  11:25 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

would have easily cut baker for crawford who was only paid the vet min 1.5 mill, would have been a better locker room guy, better mentor for trier, and still plays point better than frank, trey, and Trier..Plus NY still got love for him

Did anyone ask Craw?

Nalod
USA
12/19/2018  11:31 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

Always keep in mind this

By march of 2014, the same very season that Mills "took over" the knicks had signed Phil Jax.
Mills was made GM. Do you really think that was what was happening with the roster moves and trades?
It stands to reason that Mills was the defacto president of the team by title and handed the business side of things while Phil was the GM but in fact had final say on all matters.

My point is Mills and Baker are on Mills watch, that is true, but they were moves made before Perry joined.

I hold the knicks current front office accountable under Perry's tenure with Mills. To me Mills has never been the architect of the team. There were timetables that things had to get done when Mills was "solo" but for the most part Knicks roster was driven by Phil and now by Perry. Mills has final say with Perry.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/19/2018  1:56 PM
jrodmc wrote:
go Ron Baker

Wow. I'm so glad we all live happily on the one way racism street.

I'm kinda kidding and kinda serious
All jokes aside he did absolutely nothing to justify that contract. But good for him

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/19/2018  8:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/19/2018  8:28 PM
Signed by Wizards
Totally a NBA level player
May not have been a rotation player on a good team

Guys like Rob will not put up the numbers but bring forward intangibles and certain on court attributes that are worth having as a fourth or fifth guard on your roster.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/19/2018  9:16 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:Signed by Wizards
Totally a NBA level player
May not have been a rotation player on a good team

Guys like Rob will not put up the numbers but bring forward intangibles and certain on court attributes that are worth having as a fourth or fifth guard on your roster.

He definitely will be good for their locker room. Not a bad guy to have on the roster but with Frank, Mudiay, Burke, Trier, Tim, Dot and Lee in the back court and only 3 centers he had to go. His deal was one that would have fit in a lot of trade scenarios.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Swishfm3
Member: #392
12/19/2018  10:26 PM
go Ron Baker

That's it right

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
12/20/2018  12:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/20/2018  12:07 AM
Out of the league in 2 years. Will be on a different team next year.
knicks1248
12/20/2018  8:59 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/20/2018  9:04 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:Out of the league in 2 years. Will be on a different team next year.

It was his contract and the current situation we were in that made signing him stupid, We needed a PG desperately, and we signed Baker to a ridiculous contract

It was like signing JR smiths brother, when we needed a back up center desperately, then watching tyson chandler break his leg a month in.

ES
Nalod
USA
12/20/2018  9:04 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:Out of the league in 2 years. Will be on a different team next year.

It was his contract and the current situation we were in that made signing him stupid, We needed a PG desperately, and we signed Baker to a ridiculous contract

It was like signing JR smiths brother, when we needed a back up center desperately, then watching tyson chandler break his leg a month in.

We needed a PG desperately, and we signed Bakers to a ridiculous contract

Your brilliant in hindsight. You must look at the moment and then the thinking by which he was signed. He played great, had upside and perhaps other teams were ready to sign him.
You just assume you know all the facts. I’m not saying it was a good signing because obviously the kid never got it going last year and this year a new coach and other roster changes. Did his signing prevent another? Did he ruin our cap? His play ruin the season? He was a non factor.
Trier has taken his spot. Mills is here so is Trier.
What player did Baker block because of his signing?

Ron Baker appreaciation thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy