Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/19/2004  8:37 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~90~2407551,00.html

Drexler ponders possible return

By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

The usual route from the NBA to the Hall of Fame is a one-way ticket, not round trip. But Hall of Famer Clyde Drexler is considering getting back on the court.

Drexler, 42, said Thursday he might consider returning to the NBA and lists the Nuggets as a possibility. The 10-time all-star who retired in 1998 was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame last weekend.

"If someone with a chance to win a championship would call, I'd consider it," Drexler said. "The Nuggets are certainly one of those teams. If you look at their young talent, they are phenomenal on paper.

"I know I could do it."

Thursday evening on ESPN radio, Drexler toned down his comments, saying he would likely stay retired but would listen to offers.

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe, a former teammate of Drexler's at Portland from 1984-89, is intrigued by the idea. He also has a roster spot available for a backup shooting guard and money available under the salary cap.

"You don't realize how unbelievable an athlete and mentally tough he is," Vandeweghe said. "If anyone can do it, he can do it."

Drexler said he believes he can be effective and stay healthy by playing about 20 minutes a game coming off the bench.

"The whole key is you can't be depended on to be a starter like Karl Malone was with the Lakers," Drexler said. "You're going to have some injuries if you're playing big minutes. But if you can come in and do what (Nuggets guard) Earl Boykins does and provide a spark for six to eight minutes a half, you can do that on one leg.

"It would be fun because it's been so long and it would be like the second part of my career."

While Drexler said money isn't an issue, the Nuggets have $2.4 million left under the salary cap. Denver has one shooting guard under contract, veteran Voshon Lenard. They are expected to sign free-agent swingman Greg Buckner.

Drexler was a special assistant to the general manager under Vandeweghe from Sept. 27-Dec. 30, 2001, and was an assistant coach during the 2001-02 season. After retiring from the NBA, he was the head coach at the University of Houston for two seasons.

Drexler said he runs about 5 miles a day and could be ready to play by training camp, which starts Oct. 5.

AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/19/2004  8:59 AM
This is a bad idea. Not only is he old, he has also been out of the game for a long time. He could be a good influence in the locker room or in motivating people but I dont think he will be able to contribute anything on the floor himself.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/19/2004  9:11 AM
I'm sorry, I'm just not used to seeing the term "NBA comeback" without being associated with the name "Michael Jordan".
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/19/2004  9:52 AM
It's gonna be ugly. I hope he gets over it. He flamed out as a coach, and I don't think this is a good way to make up for it.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/19/2004  11:02 AM
He was still on top of his game when he retired.

MJ is just a jerk....he's all ego and he wanted to totally take the team over from the inside out.

I think Drexler just has a itch to strech and he is probably board with destroying wannabe "Semi-Pro" guys that hang around local gyms.

I say do it....get it out of your system.
Besides he was one of my favorite players growing up.
Drexler and Terry Porter were awesome back in the say.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/19/2004  11:11 AM
To me if you could descibe Drexler's game in on word it would be "smooth".He had a power game when he needed to but the way he would finish a drive was like butta

If they limit his minutes he could help the team and "scratch that itch" like EnySpree said and lord knows Melo could use all the mentoring he can get.If he disrespected Clyde,Kiki would be on him
like white on rice as he should.
nykfan4life
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #742
USA
9/19/2004  1:21 PM
to any and all of the NBA retirees that wanna get that bug out of there butts by coming back to play in the NBA.

I say give it up, don't embarrass yourself, move on you are in a better place, don't mess it up!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/19/2004  1:22 PM
ego

waits for Hall of Fame induction then wants to come back.

He does not know what to do with himself.

Wants to be a gm cuz it don't "look to hard".

He should stay home and wait for old timers day.
vinzie27
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #129
9/19/2004  1:51 PM
hey he could be huge just like how kerr was for the spurs. well kerr didnt make a comeback but clyde could do the same for the nuggets. plus it helps the team just to have his presence and experience. nuggets cant lose from signing him.
Could Clyde Drexler play again?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy