Nylon Calculus On Mitch
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
12/6/2018  5:14 PM
Mitchell Robinson, from the air up there
I’ve written about a few rookies already and how they’ve lived up to their draft hype, but I should talk about a second-round steal who’s a dark horse to the Rookie of the Year/Luka Doncic runner-up award: Mitchell Robinson. Taken by the Knicks early in the second round, he was actually a higher-level recruit back in high school but was deemed ineligible to play in the NCAA because he enrolled at Western Kentucky and left early in the summer before the fall program started. Thus, he ended up not playing in any organized league for an entire year — it was a tough situation to judge and slipped in the draft.

After setting records in the summer league for blocks and offensive boards, we should have all been prepared for a solid rookie season, however. He’s leading the league in blocks per possession, and he’s hitting a high percentage of his shots. He’s the prototypical high-flying, rim-running big man in the mold of Tyson Chandler. But he does have a few unique qualities.

First of all, Robinson is an inevitable dunk contest entrant. He can get up as high as anyone, and he’s a nimble runner who can pick up speed quickly and has dunked from just inside the free-throw line with one dribble from half-court. But he’s an extremely low usage player who can only score close to the rim. His offensive rebounding is merely okay for someone of his type, and he can’t hit his free throws either. However, his vertical threat — lobs can be thrown over a defender’s head — does put stress on the defense.

Embedded video

NBA TV

@NBATV
The reverse alley-oop from the rook! 😲@23savage____ | #NewYorkForever

9:28 PM - Nov 2, 2018
202 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Embedded video

MSG Networks

@MSGNetworks
Just how high above the rim does @23savage____ get on his huge dunks? We busted out the #Knicks (measuring) tape.

6:48 PM - Oct 31, 2018
65 people are talking about this
On the other side of the court, Robinson is an impressive shot-blocker. That’s the obvious part; dude blocked nine shots earlier this season, and that included poor defenders away from the rim too. And look at the clip below. It’s not the amount of blocks that’s necessarily impressive but the amount of ground he can cover. For the negatives, he has a high foul rate, which is common for both rookies and defenders of his ilk. He has a tiny defensive rebound rate too. That’s mainly caused by his tendency to chase shots and playing next to rebound gobblers in Enes Kanter and Noah Vonleh. Remember that not grabbing a rebound doesn’t always translate to poor team rebounding — and so far the Knicks have been a little better with him on the court.

Embedded video

Kevin O'Connor

@KevinOConnorNBA
This block by Mitchell Robinson is nuts. Look at the amount of ground he covers after defending the pick-and-roll.

3:11 PM - Jul 11, 2018
396 people are talking about this
Overall, Mitchell Robinson is a player of extremes but he’s the type of role player who could become very valuable for a contender. He’s a dangerous finishing option off a pick-and-roll or a loose board, and his speed and vertical leaping ability combine for a tremendous defensive potential. For someone who never played in college or a professional league for a season, his progress has been amazing and it will be fascinating to see how he could fit in with a future Knicks squad with a healthy Kristaps Porzingis.

https://fansided.com/2018/12/06/nylon-calculus-houston-rose-mitchell-robinson/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
12/6/2018  5:51 PM
He could be perfect next to Porzingis. He can challenge shots Way outside the paint- this, i think, might become a thing in the NBA. Strech bigs on O are to bigs without an outside shot what Mitch is to bigs without the East-West speed to challenge shots behind the arc. They play in different ares on O. On D we have our version of the twin towers blocking everything in sight(two top 5 blockers in the NBA on the same team?drool) only problem would be the defensive glass. If we can solve that riddle we could sport a top defense in the league.
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

12/6/2018  6:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/6/2018  6:02 PM
Thanks Crush

i've mentioned this in several game threads. there are times when you see him go up that are simply phenomenal. Way over Andre Jordan for example. We need to exploit that more. AND he's very quick to go up

(5)(5)
Nylon Calculus On Mitch

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy