Dotson or Frank
Author Thread
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/29/2018  5:00 PM
blkexec wrote:
Vmart wrote:There is no place for a team player like Frank in a team less system. This team Fiz has and is being coached is to be ball hogs. Hence no assists. What we are witnessing is a coach who has no concept of team basketball. You will not win much with Fiz.

That's an extreme over blown statement.

He coached 3 NBA teams....1 as an assistant in Miami. He also was a PG in college. I understand if you don't like the guy, but he clearly understands the fundamentals of team basketball.

What we are seeing is that we don't have players with a high skill set to create for others. That's a reflection on the team dynamics, not the coach.

Frank is an unselfish passing guard....Probably the only one on the team. But he continues to get pressured into being more selfish. Trier on the other hand, is more advanced than Frank on offense, because Trier's playing style is iso ball....Put Trier on a system type team, he will not look good.

Frank probably has more value now than what he will have in the future.

I'm on record saying we missed on Dennis Smith Jr....Similar to Trier, he's the type of selfish guard NYer's appreciate. Frank is more old school unselfish type, which is not todays NBA. But Franks game style fits the current Euro league games. They play more system ball and less Iso Ball.

NY has had the most successful years when the point guard wasn’t selfish. Marbury was as aggressive as they came but NYK played terribly. The best years were with Harper, Childs and Ward. With some Jackson. The lastest pass first PG to do well were Kidd and Billups. See the trend here.

AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
11/29/2018  5:09 PM
Vmart wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Vmart wrote:There is no place for a team player like Frank in a team less system. This team Fiz has and is being coached is to be ball hogs. Hence no assists. What we are witnessing is a coach who has no concept of team basketball. You will not win much with Fiz.

He coached 3 NBA teams....1 as an assistant in Miami. He also was a PG in college. I understand if you don't like the guy, but he clearly understands the fundamentals of team basketball.

What we are seeing is that we don't have players with a high skill set to create for others. That's a reflection on the team dynamics, not the coach.

Frank is an unselfish passing guard....Probably the only one on the team. But he continues to get pressured into being more selfish. Trier on the other hand, is more advanced than Frank on offense, because Trier's playing style is iso ball....Put Trier on a system type team, he will not look good.

I'm on record saying we missed on Dennis Smith Jr....Similar to Trier, he's the type of selfish guard NYer's appreciate. Frank is more old school unselfish type, which is not todays NBA. But Franks game style fits the current Euro league games. They play more system ball and less Iso Ball.

NY has had the most successful years when the point guard wasn’t selfish. Marbury was as aggressive as they came but NYK played terribly. The best years were with Harper, Childs and Ward. With some Jackson. The lastest pass first PG to do well were Kidd and Billups. See the trend here.

Yep...I agree. But just like Flip phones are more durable than this glass phones that shatters easy. But you don't see any flip phones anymore. Cassette tapes are more durable than CD's, but guess what? Times have changed, and the game has changed.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/29/2018  5:18 PM
blkexec wrote:
Vmart wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Yep...I agree. But just like Flip phones are more durable than this glass phones that shatters easy. But you don't see any flip phones anymore. Cassette tapes are more durable than CD's, but guess what? Times have changed, and the game has changed.

The game hasn’t changed much. Just see the trend and you will see that still the teams with better records have PGs that look to move the ball first. Right now Smith Jr isn’t even running the team Doncic is.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/29/2018  5:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/29/2018  5:23 PM
blkexec wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
blkexec wrote:

honestly I was never a dennis smith fan. The fact that we got Trier makes it a non issue. Id rather have Trier and Frank

Dennis Smith may not be a winner right now....He probably doesn't make his players better YET.

But his natural scoring abilities (just like Trier) would've had the Garden rocking. We would probably lose the same amount of games, but at least you will be entertained.

BTW....I live in Dallas, so I see and hear all the Dennis Smith talks. And every highlight play, I'm thinking man, the Garden fans would've loved him. Just like Trier is starting to grow on everybody. But are scoring guards. Smith is a few inches smaller than Trier, but jumps a few inches higher.

Frank is not even in the same ball park, on offense. And the way the game is going, with the rule changes....The value of defensive players are slowly dropping. Offense is starting to take over. That's why it's now ok to take 3 steps on layups....It's ok to jump, then land, then shoot and get an And-1 call. You breath on somebody, it's a foul.

It's unfortunate, but Frank came to NY a decade too late. He would've been the perfect backup PG (backing up Charlie Ward) back in the day, when centers ruled the NBA. Now its the guard play! And that's where Frank is behind the curve(right now). The rules don't allow him to be a lock down defender like we thought he could be.

It's a gamble to trade Frank, but now is the best time to do it, while his potential is still there. I just have a feeling he's going to be a similar player 5 years from now, if he stays in this system. Frank needs the Spurs system and coach to flourish.

I guess im not as fascinated with players who are simply just scorers. You still have to play defense in todays NBA otherwise you arent going far. I mean Golden State has offensive firepower but they also have guys who can bring it defensively like Draymond who is one of the best and klay. Same applies to Lebrons teams. That might make me "old school" but its pretty accurate. I mean we have had plenty of offensive minded player for 15 years and it amounted to jack **** because we couldnt stop anyone. Im not saying Frank will ever be close to those guys but he is the type of player you keep. He is still practically a baby and will get better. Despite what the OP says this is a rebuilding team so no need to get rid of youngsters at this time
blkexec
11/29/2018  5:34 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
blkexec wrote:

honestly I was never a dennis smith fan. The fact that we got Trier makes it a non issue. Id rather have Trier and Frank

Dennis Smith may not be a winner right now....He probably doesn't make his players better YET.

But his natural scoring abilities (just like Trier) would've had the Garden rocking. We would probably lose the same amount of games, but at least you will be entertained.

BTW....I live in Dallas, so I see and hear all the Dennis Smith talks. And every highlight play, I'm thinking man, the Garden fans would've loved him. Just like Trier is starting to grow on everybody. But are scoring guards. Smith is a few inches smaller than Trier, but jumps a few inches higher.

Frank is not even in the same ball park, on offense. And the way the game is going, with the rule changes....The value of defensive players are slowly dropping. Offense is starting to take over. That's why it's now ok to take 3 steps on layups....It's ok to jump, then land, then shoot and get an And-1 call. You breath on somebody, it's a foul.

It's unfortunate, but Frank came to NY a decade too late. He would've been the perfect backup PG (backing up Charlie Ward) back in the day, when centers ruled the NBA. Now its the guard play! And that's where Frank is behind the curve(right now). The rules don't allow him to be a lock down defender like we thought he could be.

It's a gamble to trade Frank, but now is the best time to do it, while his potential is still there. I just have a feeling he's going to be a similar player 5 years from now, if he stays in this system. Frank needs the Spurs system and coach to flourish.

I guess im not as fascinated with players who are simply just scorers. You still have to play defense in todays NBA otherwise you arent going far. I mean Golden State has offensive firepower but they also have guys who can bring it defensively like Draymond who is one of the best and klay. Same applies to Lebrons teams. That might make me "old school" but its pretty accurate. I mean we have had plenty of offensive minded player for 15 years and it amounted to jack **** because we couldnt stop anyone. Im not saying Frank will ever be close to those guys but he is the type of player you keep. He is still practically a baby and will get better. Despite what the OP says this is a rebuilding team so no need to get rid of youngsters at this time

Agree....And BTW, I'm also oldschool (at least that's what my age says). But I understand where the NBA is moving towards. More points and more scorers. This is why I use the term 2 way players. To me, a 2 way player has a little old school defense and new school offense.

Dotson is a 2-way player. That extremely valuable in todays game.

Draymond and Klay are 2-way players, that play multiple positions...in todays positionless basketball.

We continue to be behind the curve with this....And I thought Frank was a pick in the right direction. Unfortunately, he still doesn't have that offensive confidence yet.

Maybe Frank is like a wife, IT'S CHEAPER TO KEEP HER.

Even when Frank improves his offense, he will never be on Dennis Smith or even Trier's level....or Burke. But a small improvement on offense will go a long way for Frank. And we will have an opportunity to keep in on a cheap contract, because of his lack of offense....Which is a good thing for knicks fans. So I'm starting to turn the corner on trading Frank. But somebody has to get cut or traded. Too many redundant parts at similar positions.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/29/2018  7:52 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Dude goes games without scoring or even looking at the basket.

This 2 way player you envision is a pipe dream or a very long process.(like i prefer to drive from NY to LA instead of flying) This system that he is in, this way that fiz wants to play...... a complete detriment to his development, it's making him look worse every game.

When you start using age as the reason he doesn't play uptempo or shoot, you discredit yourself as being bias, because we have all seen 1000's of kids his age 100x more aggressive, and can shoot better (15% on 3's for the month of Nov, that's just stupid).

Watching this 30 for 30 on BoB Knight, I'm thinking that's the kind of coach Frank needs.

DoTson can flat out give us more than frank(base on KP's timeline) and he's cheaper to keep.

ES
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/29/2018  8:05 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:If we had a play making attack point guard start level on the roster...this speculation with Frank would not exist. Someone posted the scouting report on Frank during the draft process...it said that he was several years away and would benefit from a system a culture that was patient(ala San Antonio). This place has been a dumpster fire for years and Jeff did the Frenchman no solids with the way he played him...When I look at Frank I see it all being confidence...he is not the most athletic, does not have that burst on his first step....but there are many players like that and they find ways to score and finish....I believe Frank is truly learning the nuances of not just ssoring in the NBA game...but the scoring in any game itself....I hope Fiz is in his ear telling him we will believe in you...because I see all this speculation killing his confidence even more....when he is on the court his teammates do not even look for him because a) he is slumping and b) he is not scream give me the fing ball.

I truly believe that if Frank gets moved depending on the situation he would flourish... particularly a winning situation....Frank brings intangibles that are not evident when you are down by 25 or if you are losing 6 straight...he can be a great asset for any team if developed properly....a lot of this stuff is in his head. You can tell because he does not even look like the same player a month ago....no one forgets how to play...this is a confidence thing

Also as well as Mudiay is playing...I would not give him a deal longer than 2 years...a prove it deal 1 guaranteed + 1 team opt.

which means good teams picking in the 20's

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

11/30/2018  2:36 AM
blkexec wrote:

The terms selfish/unselfish are just pedantic terms to justify raw ballhoggery.

You don't need "selfish" players that NYers would appreciate.

What you need are players who simply will take good shots based on what the defense is giving them at the time and place. It means a player can take 30 shots or 4 shots, and in either scenario, if it's what the defense is giving you, and it's good shot selection, than that's going to help you win versus lose.

Frank N is not being pressured to be more "selfish", he's being pressured to take shots when it's clear the defense is shaded in a way where his shot would be the best high percentage situation at the time and place.

It doesn't help that guys gunning for a new contract like Trier, Burke and Kanter are freezing Frank N out.

There is nothing efficient about constant ball hoggery. The modern game is SPACE AND PACE. Also free flowing ball movement and stretching the floor with the three point shot.

You are suggesting a style of play that no actual contender level team uses for long term success. (LBJ does not utilize the modern space and pace game, and while he could drag teams into the Finals in a gutted East, he often lost in the Finals to teams who actually played real team basketball. )

shinmen
Member: #6029
France
11/30/2018  4:37 AM
I'm not a basket ball guru like some of you but I feel like Frank's struggles are in part due to his system bball background.
We are running an iso heavy system and I often see Frank trying to balance the floor to provide spacing for the likes of Trier, Burke and co. The result is him waiting on the 3 point line without any rythm in his game. He probably needs it more than others.

He would benefit from more passing and cutting but he can't. Paradoxically, I think we played better when we were losing at the beginning of the season. Mario benefited from a few nice back door cuts like McBuckets last year.
We haven't seen much of these these last few games. I don't think we are building winning basketball these days. We are gonna win some games when 1 or 2 players have good games and the opponent shoot poorly but it doesn't feel sustainable.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

11/30/2018  6:24 AM
shinmen wrote:I'm not a basket ball guru like some of you but I feel like Frank's struggles are in part due to his system bball background.
We are running an iso heavy system and I often see Frank trying to balance the floor to provide spacing for the likes of Trier, Burke and co. The result is him waiting on the 3 point line without any rythm in his game. He probably needs it more than others.

He would benefit from more passing and cutting but he can't. Paradoxically, I think we played better when we were losing at the beginning of the season. Mario benefited from a few nice back door cuts like McBuckets last year.
We haven't seen much of these these last few games. I don't think we are building winning basketball these days. We are gonna win some games when 1 or 2 players have good games and the opponent shoot poorly but it doesn't feel sustainable.

100%

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/30/2018  8:10 AM
shinmen wrote:I'm not a basket ball guru like some of you but I feel like Frank's struggles are in part due to his system bball background.

We playing like March madness, we need a backcourt on fire to win games.
The game we playing now vs the start is different. Little pick an rol and less kick outs now.
I can see KP settling for easy shots on the wing in this configuration.
Is it permanent? If so then Frank won’t fair well.
Bottom line is Frank has to hit open looks to start. once he is respected he then penetrate. Right now he is dysfunctional. But that can change tomorrow.
As long as he is a knick I will hope and root. It dont matter what I think, because I’m not making decisions.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

11/30/2018  9:43 AM
Nalod wrote:

The game we playing now vs the start is different. Little pick an rol and less kick outs now.
Bottom line is Frank has to hit open looks to start. once he is respected he then penetrate. Right now he is dysfunctional. But that can change tomorrow.
As long as he is a knick I will hope and root. It dont matter what I think, because I’m not making decisions.

1000%

blkexec
11/30/2018  10:31 AM
ekstarks94 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

1000%

Agree with almost everything except that last statement.

Playing GM is the fun part. We all get to role play as a coach, owner, player.....That's how I vent. But I understand your point.

Question. If we are playing like its March madness...depending on the guards to lead us to win or hit big shots (I'm assuming that's what you mean).....Isnt that a good thing? Add a hungry KP looking to get paid, with 2or3 confident offensive guards, not afraid of the moment...

We will have the ability to put offensive pressure on every team at all 5 positions....with a healthy KP and confident March Madness get your own bucket type guards.....THj, Trier, Burke, now Mudiay, 2way Dotson.

I'm just waiting for Knox and Money Mitch to mature their games and body...That's when we become a serious contender in the east....in my humble opinion.

knicks1248
Member: #582
11/30/2018  10:56 AM
ppl put so much stock in draft picks like its a guaranteed jack pot..

We had so many opportunities to nab an above avg pg via trade...Bledsoe, Kyrie, rubio, lowry, proven players that can move the needle, instead we opt to grab 18 yr olds that are half a decade away from maybe being decent...I hope they are learning form this

ES
Cartman718
Member: #1694

11/30/2018  10:58 AM
knicks1248 wrote:ppl put so much stock in draft picks like its a guaranteed jack pot..

We had so many opportunities to nab an above avg pg via trade...Bledsoe, Kyrie, rubio, lowry, proven players that can move the needle, instead we opt to grab 18 yr olds that are half a decade away from maybe being decent...I hope they are learning form this

you mean like philly did with okafor and fultz?

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/30/2018  12:30 PM
blkexec wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

1000%

Agree with almost everything except that last statement.

Playing GM is the fun part. We all get to role play as a coach, owner, player.....That's how I vent. But I understand your point.

Question. If we are playing like its March madness...depending on the guards to lead us to win or hit big shots (I'm assuming that's what you mean).....Isnt that a good thing? Add a hungry KP looking to get paid, with 2or3 confident offensive guards, not afraid of the moment...

We will have the ability to put offensive pressure on every team at all 5 positions....with a healthy KP and confident March Madness get your own bucket type guards.....THj, Trier, Burke, now Mudiay, 2way Dotson.

I'm just waiting for Knox and Money Mitch to mature their games and body...That's when we become a serious contender in the east....in my humble opinion.

Kp can be hungry but we just need him to return to form and stay on the court. We know what he can do. His body was measured before and after so knicks will know if he is a good investment. There are odds to consider. I think he gets paid. Be silly for him to prove something and then crumble again.
but to your point KP on the wing "Playing like a Pu@@y" hoisting up shots won't get it done either. For that we can have kept Melo. Maybe Melo is laughing at us if he is watching.
What is and what can be are two different things.
As for venting as GM, yeah I get it and we all do it. I think Knicks1248 is pushing back harder and harder as if we are delusional crack heads with all kinds of dreams and he is here to save us.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

11/30/2018  5:37 PM
shinmen wrote:We are running an iso heavy system

It's not a system.

Trier has the excuse that he's a raw rookie.

Burke and Kanter truly do not give a ****. Both are lame ducks who know they won't be back next year and with injuries and a thin roster, that no one can really bench them for long. Both are going to be black holes and chuck it. Both are abandoning their defensive assignments to try to drive up their counting stats.

A lot of the roster can't read the floor. The younger guys get a pass here. But lots of the veterans just can't do it.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/30/2018  5:56 PM
knicks1248 wrote:ppl put so much stock in draft picks like its a guaranteed jack pot..

Luckily we can grab one of them via free agency.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/30/2018  6:41 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Having seen Bledsoe and Rubio play this season, I can say I doubt they move the needle much. Maybe we draft picks 10-12 instead 7 or lower this season. I'm not sure even Lowry could pull us out of the lottery this season. Maybe Kyrie...if he were to stay healthy for most of the season. You need to collect assets first.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/30/2018  7:20 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Having seen Bledsoe and Rubio play this season, I can say I doubt they move the needle much. Maybe we draft picks 10-12 instead 7 or lower this season. I'm not sure even Lowry could pull us out of the lottery this season. Maybe Kyrie...if he were to stay healthy for most of the season. You need to collect assets first.

They would maybe move the needle to mediocrity before it needs to be torn down and rebuilt again or in Knicks case trade more future picks in order to make up for trading the pick(s) to aquire said player while barley hanging on to the playoffs bubble. All to build a team good enough to lose in the first round of the playoffs. While not having the picks to fall back on over the next 3 years.

Gotta build up the talent level first and foremost by drafting. Then with enough assets to fall back on you make plays for the Bledsoes and Rubios etc. This way you have takent to fall back on as well as maintain the ability to improve by not mortaging the future.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Dotson or Frank

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy