The 2019 Draft
Author Thread
ESOMKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6064

1/31/2019  5:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/31/2019  5:39 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:Zion is at best another Barkley or LJ. Which means he may dazzle us with hops and power for four years, until back problems rob him of his elevation. And at that point, unless he develops a reliable jump shot and some go-to low post moves that take advantage of his bulk and strength, plus leadership and charisma to inspire his teammates, he could quickly fizzle out.

Why exactly do you think getting another Barkley would be a bad thing? He was a league MVP, All-NBA 11 years in a row, and is probably one of the 20 or 25 best players in NBA history. He's probably better than anyone who's ever worn a Knick uniform; we would be extremely lucky to get someone like that with our pick.

Because times change? Barkley was never required to shoot 3s. shoot shoot shoot is the new nba. Zion has been called out for offensive fouls I have noticed in the few games I have watched. With better defenders in the NBA I can see that more often. This is why I like Knox because bad D or not, his outside shooting is sweet. Curry's defensive fallacies are covered by his teammates and it works because they've got good defenders in the post AND he absolutely makes opponents pay at the other end with his outside shooting.

My point was that what you are seeing in Zion today is highly unlikely to last beyond 4-5 years in the NBA. If he does not develop a jump shot, or Barkley's read and feel for the game, or his leadership, then we'd be quickly staring at an over the hill version of LJ or Clarence Weatherspoon.
In any case, if Zion turns out to be as good as Barkley, it won't be on the Knicks. The way we operate, even if we draft him, we'd probably trade him in a couple of years anyway, to Dallas for THJ...

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/31/2019  5:41 PM
ESOMKnicks wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
VCoug wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:Zion is at best another Barkley or LJ. Which means he may dazzle us with hops and power for four years, until back problems rob him of his elevation. And at that point, unless he develops a reliable jump shot and some go-to low post moves that take advantage of his bulk and strength, plus leadership and charisma to inspire his teammates, he could quickly fizzle out.

Why exactly do you think getting another Barkley would be a bad thing? He was a league MVP, All-NBA 11 years in a row, and is probably one of the 20 or 25 best players in NBA history. He's probably better than anyone who's ever worn a Knick uniform; we would be extremely lucky to get someone like that with our pick.

Because times change? Barkley was never required to shoot 3s. shoot shoot shoot is the new nba. Zion has been called out for offensive fouls I have noticed in the few games I have watched. With better defenders in the NBA I can see that more often. This is why I like Knox because bad D or not, his outside shooting is sweet. Curry's defensive fallacies are covered by his teammates and it works because they've got good defenders in the post AND he absolutely makes opponents pay at the other end with his outside shooting.

My point was that what you are seeing in Zion today is highly unlikely to last beyond 4-5 years in the NBA. If he does not develop a jump shot, or Barkley's read and feel for the game, or his leadership, then we'd be quickly staring at an over the hill version of LJ or Clarence Weatherspoon.
In any case, if Zion turns out to be as good as Barkley, it won't be on the Knicks. The way we operate, even if we draft him, we'd probably trade him in a couple of years anyway, to Dallas for THJ...

You haven't seen much of Zion or done much homework on him. Read up

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
1/31/2019  5:52 PM
Getting the top pick became just more crucial.
Knicks_Fan
Cartman718
Member: #1694

1/31/2019  6:27 PM
Knicksfan wrote:Getting the top pick became just more crucial.

the top pick yes and we better have the option of swapping out first round 2019 with first round 2020 with dallas

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
1/31/2019  6:31 PM
Cartman718 wrote:

the top pick yes and we better have the option of swapping out first round 2019 with first round 2020 with dallas

???

We got picks in 2021 and 2023 from Dallas.

Thasit

Knicks_Fan
Cartman718

1/31/2019  6:52 PM
Knicksfan wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

???

We got picks in 2021 and 2023 from Dallas.

Thasit

i mentioned that before details were mentioned in the trade thread... i wish we had the option of swapping between 2019 and 2021 our choice. with THJr and Burke and Lee...they're about to lose a lot of games.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
VCoug
Member: #1406

1/31/2019  10:30 PM
martin wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
VCoug wrote:

It's driving me crazy how many people can't see how good Zion is. It's like back in the 90s when people would call Shaq "just a dunker".

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Cartman718

1/31/2019  10:50 PM
VCoug wrote:
martin wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
VCoug wrote:

It's driving me crazy how many people can't see how good Zion is. It's like back in the 90s when people would call Shaq "just a dunker".

At this point, I have no choice but to hope whoever we pick is that transcendent talent, Zion or otherwise. So here's to getting the overall #1 pick in May.

ESOMKnicks

2/1/2019  12:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  12:11 AM
martin wrote:

I saw most of his college games. There is too much in his game that's predicated on high elevation right now. Not sustainable beyond five years in the NBA and will take a major toll on his back. He will need a broader set of skills yo be like Barkley. And of course he isn't anything like LeBron.
martin
USA
2/1/2019  12:16 AM
ESOMKnicks wrote:
martin wrote:

I saw most of his college games. There is too much in his game that's predicated on high elevation right now. Not sustainable beyond five years in the NBA and will take a major toll on his back. He will need a broader set of skills yo be like Barkley. And of course he isn't anything like LeBron.

take a gander

PhilinLA
Member: #696
2/1/2019  2:21 AM
We need to win the lottery again.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
umbisam
Member: #3796

2/1/2019  9:35 AM
could we trade KK or MR + Dallas first round picks w/ Cleveland or Phoenix for their 2019 first round pick as to increase our odds on Zion ?
H1AND1
Member: #5648

2/1/2019  10:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/1/2019  10:59 AM
ESOMKnicks wrote:
martin wrote:

The system at Duke is not really playing to his strengths, not that it matters as they're still a great team. There was a good article about this at The Ringer the other day...

EDIT: Here-

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/29/18201984/zion-willliamson-point-center

smackeddog
Member: #883
2/1/2019  11:29 AM

Absolutely, the fate of the franchise rests on it- the number 1 not only gets you a new corner stone, it could also help sell free agents on signing here. If we end up with the 4th or 5th, things become much harder

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

2/1/2019  3:00 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Absolutely, the fate of the franchise rests on it- the number 1 not only gets you a new corner stone, it could also help sell free agents on signing here. If we end up with the 4th or 5th, things become much harder

as long as we end up in the top 3 we will get a very good player. Obviously with the new rules you can’t say for sure we will get Zion by end up last but we should be in the top 3
ESOMKnicks

2/1/2019  4:01 PM
martin wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:
martin wrote:

take a gander

Thanks for the article, very interesting. Pretty much confirms what I have been saying. His game is predicated on elevation and explosiveness. He needs to develop more of a skill-based game, with low post moves and better jump shooting to have a lasting star career in the NBA when his hops fade.

smackeddog
Member: #883
2/1/2019  4:13 PM
If we did actually land kyrie and KD, we could actually use a SG who can slide to SF (assuming you play KD at PF). I’d prefer to keep Trier off the bench and am not fully convinced Dotson is a starter. So not landing the first pick might not be the end of the world
martin
USA
2/1/2019  4:31 PM
ESOMKnicks wrote:
martin wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:
martin wrote:

take a gander

Thanks for the article, very interesting. Pretty much confirms what I have been saying. His game is predicated on elevation and explosiveness. He needs to develop more of a skill-based game, with low post moves and better jump shooting to have a lasting star career in the NBA when his hops fade.

No actually it wasn't. Here is the conclusion of article:

Potential Full Package

Williamson has backed up the hype over his tools, bounce and quickness, which alone have been highly functional and effective. He ranks in the 89th percentile in transition, the 89th percentile on offensive rebound putbacks and the 87th percentile on cuts.

He'll immediately enter the league as one of its most destructive athletes, with physical abilities that create a special advantage at both ends, regardless of how refined or polished he becomes.

But it's been the evolution of his skill set that's led to elite numbers, a No. 1 overall projection and even greater optimism surrounding his NBA star potential.

At this point it really feels like to me you are holding your breathe and just shaking your head no matter what you see or read

ESOMKnicks

2/1/2019  5:19 PM
martin wrote:

At this point it really feels like to me you are holding your breathe and just shaking your head no matter what you see or read

Not really. The article also says some of the following things:

"Unlike with those bigs, it's rare to see Williamson showcase any traditional hooks, fallaways or elbow rise-and-fire jumpers... Williamson goes about getting buckets differently, often turning over a shoulder and separating by elevating/exploding through and above his defender toward the basket."

"Scouts will have to ask whether he'll still create the same amount of separation against NBA bigs since he lacks positional height at 6'7". However, the force behind Williamson's strength and explosion seems to help compensate for the inch or two. And it seems highly unlikely teams overthink his unorthodox measurements relating to his inside-scoring potential."

"Converting 28.9 percent of his jump shots and 67.5 percent of his free throws, Williamson is far from a shooter, and the eye test suggests even those made threes could be fluky. Some of his misses have been way short or off."

VCoug
Member: #1406

2/1/2019  11:48 PM
umbisam wrote:could we trade KK or MR + Dallas first round picks w/ Cleveland or Phoenix for their 2019 first round pick as to increase our odds on Zion ?

There's zero chance Cleveland or Phoenix would agree to that. Knox hasn't shown anything at all to justify a team trading away a lottery pick and Mitch is raw as ****.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
The 2019 Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy