[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2019 Draft
Author Thread
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/15/2018  6:27 PM
Marv wrote:this kid's catching crazy props.

our best shot since lampe (btw tattooed on fish's calf).

Lmao

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
12/19/2018  3:36 AM
Nice night- Hawks win, Cavs win. Latest tank standings:

1. Suns: 7-24 14% chance of the top pick

2. Bulls: 7-24 14% chance of the top pick

3. Hawks: 7-23 14% chance of the top pick

4. cavs: 8-23 12.5% chance of the top pick

5. Knicks: 9-23 10.5% chance of the top pick

6. Wiz: 12-19 9% chance of the top pick

To be honest, it's hard to see us finishing with a worse record than any of the teams who currently have a worse record than us, but I definitely don't want to finish in a worse slot than we currently are. The main worry is that the odds of a team overtaking you in the draft are much higher this year, so I'd probably expect to fall at least 2 spots when it comes to the draft (so if we finish 5th, prepare to pick 7th or 8th).

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/19/2018  6:44 AM
Suns looked pretty good the other night! It is baffling they are as bad as they are considering they have young talent.
BUlls are getting healthy and Boylen could still get them in line. ALso on paper they are not god awful.
Cav’s are on the rise? Hawks suck.
I see us 3rd potentially. KP could come back and make us respectable. Im counting on two teams crawling out a bit and KP having little effect. I’m hopeful.
Shame on the Wiz with that roster. They have Reezy now.
VCoug
Member: #1406

12/22/2018  1:32 PM
Huge week for the tank this past week! Hate getting my hopes up but

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
NotInMyHouse
Member: #6433

12/22/2018  1:44 PM
Thus far I am liking Ja Morant should we pick around 4-6. Who knows, maybe he keeps getting better and rises to 3 or so.
I wonder, is no one worried about Zion since he can't shoot? Yeah, NBA has lots of space, but...
I just want us to finish in the top 3 because of those new rules.
“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/22/2018  2:57 PM
https://www.thestepien.com/2018/06/29/2019-draft-primer-ja-morant-the-ultimate-sleeper/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
VCoug
Member: #1406

12/22/2018  3:37 PM
You don't need 3-point shooting at every position, not even Golden State does that.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
smackeddog
12/24/2018  3:20 AM
Bulls win, Hawks win:

1. cavs: 8-26

2. Suns: 8-26

3. Knicks: 9-25

4. Bulls: 9-25

5. Hawks: 9-23

6. Wiz: 13-21

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
12/24/2018  1:44 PM
smackeddog wrote:Bulls win, Hawks win:

The January schedule is brutal. May very well have the worst record in the league by Feb.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

12/24/2018  3:02 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Bulls win, Hawks win:

The January schedule is brutal. May very well have the worst record in the league by Feb.

Was looking at the "last 10 games" stat in the standings -- we are 1 - 9 and next up was a few 3 - 7 teams like Chicago and Phoenix. We are clearly heading for the bottom for better or worse.

BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
12/25/2018  9:49 PM
We should lose the next 8 games. Tough schedule
Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/26/2018  1:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/26/2018  1:42 PM
smackeddog wrote:Nice night- Hawks win, Cavs win. Latest tank standings:

To be honest, it's hard to see us finishing with a worse record than any of the teams who currently have a worse record than us, but I definitely don't want to finish in a worse slot than we currently are. The main worry is that the odds of a team overtaking you in the draft are much higher this year, so I'd probably expect to fall at least 2 spots when it comes to the draft (so if we finish 5th, prepare to pick 7th or 8th).

For me, it's easy to see us finishing with the worst record. Who do we have that's actively playing that's better than Ayton or Booker? Who do we have that's active and better than Markkanen or LaVine? How about Nance Jr, Thompson, or Love? The Hawks are the only team I would expect to finish worse than us but John Collins looks pretty damned good and I could see Trae Young hitting 100 40' 3pt'ers in a week, so I could see a scenario where they top our record

Funny we finally decide to tank after they shaved the odds

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
smackeddog
12/27/2018  3:24 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Nice night- Hawks win, Cavs win. Latest tank standings:

For me, it's easy to see us finishing with the worst record. Who do we have that's actively playing that's better than Ayton or Booker? Who do we have that's active and better than Markkanen or LaVine? How about Nance Jr, Thompson, or Love? The Hawks are the only team I would expect to finish worse than us but John Collins looks pretty damned good and I could see Trae Young hitting 100 40' 3pt'ers in a week, so I could see a scenario where they top our record

Funny we finally decide to tank after they shaved the odds

I'm sceptical because at the end of the day, when the chips are down and we're heading into the last stretch of the season, those teams will all tank shamelessly, while we won't

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/27/2018  10:50 AM
Interesting article on Jarrett Culver who has climbed as high as#3 in some prospect ratings.
https://www.thestepien.com/2018/12/03/draft-notes-thing-jarrett-culver/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Chandler
Member: #6197

12/27/2018  11:27 AM
not trying to be a debbie downer about the tank, but it's not a panacea by a long shot! if you look at the top 5 teams in the east and west the only candidates who tanked were the sixers and if you have a thumb on the scale the lakers (though my view is without Lebron as FA that team would stink and thus be off the list). Indeed even if you expand to top 10 east and west the only other tank candidate is the Kings.

So while it's nice to think about a shiny-new top of the lottery pick, it's far short of being magic. Personally I'm super conflicted about it because i think it creates conflicted message to the team

Trying to be an optimist, I'll stick to the notion that there is some secret system and plan for our team and that Fizdale is either somehow developing individual skills or doing some Karate Kid-**** waiting for a more opportune time (e.g., next season) to reveal that he actually has an offensive and defensive system and strategy (sorry I'm disqualifying a zone defense).

Also I hope people disillusion themselves about a big FA signing. While everyone would be psyched with a prime FA we all have to consider that the top guys will make max money wherever they go. Unless KP comes back this season and shows he is a big deal still, there is very little incentive for a top FA to join this hot mess. NY will have higher taxes and at least a historically dysfunctional chain of command (with the current FO probably rated as unclear). (FWIW this is perfectly fine by me. I think were at least a few years away from reasonably thinking a big FA will push us to where we all want to be)

If the Knicks wanted my advice it would be to focus on winning ways moreso than wins. If for example they honestly feel having Kanter and Mudiay playing starting minutes is teaching the rest of the team to play the right way then so be it. If they think it will add to wins but not the development of the other team members then it's a bad choice.

right now i find a huge number of their decisions so perplexing i think we have actually regressed from Hornacek and Fisher. The only thing that gives me real hope is a number of their players who i just think play with the right professionalism or passion: KP, Frank [though he's been disappointing, i think he would thrive with a better coach], Knox, Mitch, Trier, dotson, Vonleh, even Kornet to a certain degree. Everyone else i think is too old for our time line or simply does not play "winning" basketball.

(5)(5)
fwk00
Member: #6048

12/28/2018  5:58 PM
Chandler wrote:not trying to be a debbie downer about the tank, but it's not a panacea by a long shot! -snip-

So while it's nice to think about a shiny-new top of the lottery pick, it's far short of being magic. Personally I'm super conflicted about it because i think it creates conflicted message to the team

Not by a long - long shot! True. But I don't think its sending any adverse messages per se.

I think the Knicks view it this way. The team already has a handful of very talented, too young to compete players on its hands. We aren't winning anything anyway and developing these kids is the only thing worth doing. Winning games is masochistic. So the default by-product of this development year is a potential draft position that yields yet another talented kid - no harm done. AND! maybe, just maybe, we are lucky enough to land one more franchise-esque long term keeper.

In reality, this is the only sane way to approach this basketball season.

Chandler wrote:Trying to be an optimist, I'll stick to the notion that there is some secret system and plan for our team and that Fizdale is either somehow developing individual skills or doing some Karate Kid-**** waiting for a more opportune time (e.g., next season) to reveal that he actually has an offensive and defensive system and strategy (sorry I'm disqualifying a zone defense).

I'm frustrated as well. Its one thing to lose but its another not to play the kids systematically while instilling a philosophical and pragmatic system in their DNA. Play the aces until they drop. One of Geno Auriemma's players was interviewed about how she felt about so much redundant practice. She answered, "We don't practice to avoid making mistakes, we practice to always do it right." or something to that effect.

The benching of Frankie has me concerned. Benching players for not getting it right doesn't add up for me. Make him play and get it right every time his number is called. The kid's a unicorn. Next year is meaningless without him playing right. This is a simple priority and as a team the coach has to coach to play the right combinations - not play musical chairs.

Chandler wrote:
Also I hope people disillusion themselves about a big FA signing. While everyone would be psyched with a prime FA we all have to consider that the top guys will make max money wherever they go. Unless KP comes back this season and shows he is a big deal still, there is very little incentive for a top FA to join this hot mess. NY will have higher taxes and at least a historically dysfunctional chain of command (with the current FO probably rated as unclear). (FWIW this is perfectly fine by me. I think were at least a few years away from reasonably thinking a big FA will push us to where we all want to be)

I agree. This nonsensical talk about MAX signings makes less than ZERO sense. First it means we spent this year developing players we'll need to jettison next year to fiscal constraints. And what will we have? A max player or two who will need to be surrounded by aging vets hungry for a ring. And any youngster who is kept on the roster will be on a very short leash if the team is winning to keep Max Dollars happy. These kids are too young for that. We'd be back in mediocrity hell by mid-season.

I can only hope the FO realizes this and is discreetly letting people speculate as they choose. I think the rebuild is real. Frankie, Porky [assuming he's healthy], and Knox are blue chip futures. Trier, Mitchell, and Kornet - diamonds in the rough. And Vonleh, Mudiay, and Dotson are found gold.

The rest of the team doesn't matter in the big picture. You play these guys, you pay these guys - FIRST THINGS FIRST. They are developing a chemistry.

Signing a MAX FA to disrupt this is a good idea -- WHY?

I don't see it.

Chandler wrote:
If the Knicks wanted my advice it would be to focus on winning ways moreso than wins. If for example they honestly feel having Kanter and Mudiay playing starting minutes is teaching the rest of the team to play the right way then so be it. If they think it will add to wins but not the development of the other team members then it's a bad choice.

right now i find a huge number of their decisions so perplexing i think we have actually regressed from Hornacek and Fisher. The only thing that gives me real hope is a number of their players who i just think play with the right professionalism or passion: KP, Frank [though he's been disappointing, i think he would thrive with a better coach], Knox, Mitch, Trier, dotson, Vonleh, even Kornet to a certain degree. Everyone else i think is too old for our time line or simply does not play "winning" basketball.

I pretty much agree. OTOH, I want to see Mitchell and Kornet playing the lion's share of center minutes, Kanter needs to go by Feb.

Chandler
Member: #6197

12/28/2018  9:10 PM
I’m all for Luke and Mitch getting the minutes

Also think consistency is key. Whether that’s based on minutes. Time of the game or even the criteria to go to the dog house. I feel all of that is as helter skelter as the lineups

Our philosophy if any seems to be like Miami’s in short effort and iso. We’ll do as well as they do (ie meh) unless and until we get a team stacked w me don and wade level talent

John wooden used to begin a season teaching guys how to put their socks on and tie their shoes — the idea being if you don’t do that right you get blisters. You get blisters and you don’t move right or miss practice and so on

The great ones think about that stuff.

(5)(5)
smackeddog
12/29/2018  5:23 AM
Hawks win, Bulls win- rejoice!

We're now tied with the Suns for the second worst record in the league

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
12/31/2018  1:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/31/2018  2:06 PM
Chandler wrote:not trying to be a debbie downer about the tank, but it's not a panacea by a long shot! if you look at the top 5 teams in the east and west the only candidates who tanked were the sixers and if you have a thumb on the scale the lakers (though my view is without Lebron as FA that team would stink and thus be off the list). Indeed even if you expand to top 10 east and west the only other tank candidate is the Kings.

Trying to be an optimist, I'll stick to the notion that there is some secret system and plan for our team and that Fizdale is either somehow developing individual skills or doing some Karate Kid-**** waiting for a more opportune time (e.g., next season) to reveal that he actually has an offensive and defensive system and strategy (sorry I'm disqualifying a zone defense).

Knicks present day circumstances make tanking the logical choice. With KP set to miss the season with injury. Philly traded Jrue Holiday when he was up and coming and Andre Igoudala in his prime in order to start the tank. Knicks aren't giving away stud pieces to tank. The potential upside of landing a Zion, Barrett, Morant etc... is greater than the downside.

Also as for max cap slots. All the young pieces are pretty much locked in Knicks control except Mudiay and Vonleh who can possibly be retained through exceptions.

Knicks want to start winning they need KP back and to hit on their lotto pick in the form of a play maker that can create easy shots for the team. I'm wondering if they should also target Vooch from Orlando. He is just a good all around player that pretty much does everything on the court pretty well. And will probably come cheaper due to how the league is gravitating to. But would depend on if Zion was drafted or not.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

1/3/2019  10:14 PM
I’m leaning towards a kp, bol front court !

The 2019 Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy