[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2019 Draft
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
3/11/2019  3:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/11/2019  3:59 AM
Problem is the draft after the third spot seems overloaded with Sg's- are any of those options really much better than what we have (dotson, Frank and trier). Meanwhile it seems pretty light at PF, which is the position we seem to need if KD and Kyrie sign. If we land the third spot and take Ja Morant, can he play next to Kyrie? In that scenario we might then also be able to move dsj or Frank for some sort of PF.

I do think we're in trouble if we fall to 4th or 5th (which would be maddening after all this losing) but it is the most likely scenario (both statistically and history wise- we always seem to land the pick after the number of top players)

I still think if we land 1st we draft and keep Zion.

If we land 2 or 3 we try to trade for AD (though double check if Morant or Barrett could be worth keeping)

4th or 5th screws us because aside from there not being a great option for us, it also rules out an AD trade because it wouldn't be an attractive enough pick for new Orleans to want to deal with us.

It's going to be a stressful couple of months until the lottery...

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/11/2019  1:26 PM
Simulator

Ran it 10 times. Remember the first one is the natural alignment of teams via record. So you have to press "Sim" to register it.

Remember 1st three odds of landing no. 1 is the same. Its how far you can drop that matters via the Tank.

10times

3 times came up 5th.
2 times came up 4th
1 time came up 3rd
3 times came up 2nd
1 time came up 1st

I'd suggest fans prepare themselves that 59.9% chance we land 4th or 5th.
Here is the odds. http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds Look at it, learn it. Remember it.

14th, 18th, 23rd. fooking Bostons picks this year. I suspect they use some of that for currency.

Nalod
USA
3/11/2019  4:30 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Problem is the draft after the third spot seems overloaded with Sg's- are any of those options really much better than what we have (dotson, Frank and trier). Meanwhile it seems pretty light at PF, which is the position we seem to need if KD and Kyrie sign. ...

I do think we're in trouble if we fall to 4th or 5th ...

4th or 5th screws us

You approach each situation as it comes and do the best you can given the time and place.

Sam Hinkie wanted Zinger. His ownership overruled him and told him to take Jahlil Okafor. He said Zinger will be something special. They said so will Okafor. If Hinkie got to actually do what he wanted, the Knicks would have probably taken Okafor.

You can't control where you pick ( Unless you buy a franchise for a record price, then you'll be gifted a top overall pick at some point) and you can't control who gets picked in front of you.

Wing has the highest positional value in the entire league. If the Jets had 4 elite cornerbacks, they'd still be drafting cornerback projects in the drafts later rounds. If the Mets had 7 good starting pitchers, they'd still be working hard to mine more SP prospects on all levels. You can never have too much good pitching. You can never have too many good cornerbacks. You can never have too many wings/wing prospects in the NBA.

You can find a serviceable stretch 4 on the open market in the lower tiers of FA. If you want to find a functional wing, it will cost you dearly.

The Knicks just need to take the Best Player Available when they pick. That's it. Need based drafting matters in a situation like the Warriors or the Kobe/Shaq Lakers or a team already in the top 3 team/contention window in the entire league. You pick the guy you believe in and that you feel will be the most productive in the NBA.

Get as much talent as you can in the draft, worry about the rest later. This is a common criticism of Hinkie when he picked Noel, Okafor and Embiid. Too many big men. If he felt they were the best on the board ( sans Okafor who was pushed onto him), then so be it.

If the player has talent, you can find something to do with him or trade him later.

Good take. "Draft best player". Logical. Too many

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

3/13/2019  10:09 AM
Surprised not to see Jarrett Culver on these lists..
The Future is Bright!
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/13/2019  12:48 PM
Here's the most detailed analysis I could find on Culver:

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/02/06/draft-notes-realistic-jarrett-culver/

Some comps: Khris Middleton, Steve Smith, Joe Johnson, Jalen Rose, Jim Jackson... Evan Turner.
Summary: Versatile player. Sophomore. Not an elite athlete (ie not Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill)

The gist is there are lots of draft value questions - much of his upside is based on him 1) improving his perimeter shot (can't predict) OR 2) growing to 6'8"-6'10".

Banking on a player growing a few inches after the draft is not a draft strategy. :) However if he measures in the 6'8" range, it'd certainly boost his stock a bit.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/14/2019  12:13 PM
Zion is back tonight.....hide your Nikes!!!
Cartman718
Member: #1694

3/14/2019  7:41 PM
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Nalod
USA
3/14/2019  9:31 PM
Texas Tech lost, upset, but Culver was impressive the last few minutes of the game.
Delusional college game ending attempt as typical, but the kid is smooth.
Cartman718

3/14/2019  11:21 PM
I mean seriously? 13 for 13?
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
VCoug
Member: #1406

3/15/2019  12:58 AM
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
smackeddog
3/15/2019  8:43 AM
Cartman718 wrote:I mean seriously? 13 for 13?

After a few weeks of tankathon, I no longer have hope that we'll land the number 1 pick so it pains me to see how good Zion is

Nalod
USA
3/15/2019  10:22 AM
keddog wrote:

After a few weeks of tankathon, I no longer have hope that we'll land the number 1 pick so it pains me to see how good Zion is

Its something we all have to live with. While what we witnessed last nite was super impressive we look at that body and power and thinking "never seen a basketball player look like that".....and thus doubts.
Is possible this draft is a one pony show or others in his shadow pale in comparison but are undervalued hype because of it.
Nalod does not know.
Reddish looks lost when Zion is on the floor. Zion just eats everthing in front of him. He steals the ball, rebounds, and scores.
Losing has its benefits but little is apparent when it happens. Losing sucks. If we had a team of vets and were tuned out, I'd be very concerned.
For sure it would be preferable to NOT lose but with the youth we have its palatable. If our youth was better we'd not lose as much.
Since we tend to extrapolate the present into the future, and media sells anger we get doses of negativity which repeats itself.
Winning cures that. Winning is not the current order. the only thing that validates success is winning. The rest is conjecture.
Nalod is full of conjecture.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/15/2019  1:24 PM
smackeddog wrote:

There is only now. Our yoots really are not that good, the house, for all intents and purposes, with the exception of a few extraneous parts and our problem child owner, is clean. No real starphuchs, no "face of the franchise" no savior. nothing but upper echelon G-league rookies and sophs. We got picks and cash. This leads to hope, and is a good thing, but that's all there is for the future.

To me, it feels strangely alot like 1985. But it just as well may not be.
If we get Zion, good. Can't live life hoping to win the lottery. 268 million people will be whining along with you, what's the point.

Play the games. Watch, if you can stand it. If you can't stand it, go outside and play some ball. I'm 56. It's never too late.

Nalod
USA
3/15/2019  4:23 PM
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

There is only now. Our yoots really are not that good, the house, for all intents and purposes, with the exception of a few extraneous parts and our problem child owner, is clean. No real starphuchs, no "face of the franchise" no savior. nothing but upper echelon G-league rookies and sophs. We got picks and cash. This leads to hope, and is a good thing, but that's all there is for the future.

To me, it feels strangely alot like 1985. But it just as well may not be.
If we get Zion, good. Can't live life hoping to win the lottery. 268 million people will be whining along with you, what's the point.

Play the games. Watch, if you can stand it. If you can't stand it, go outside and play some ball. I'm 56. It's never too late.

We starphuch free and its stripped down to the studs.
We finally hit rock bottom.
Maybe.......

Cartman718

3/15/2019  5:52 PM
1985 was 34 years ago. We are due #1
Cartman718

3/15/2019  5:54 PM
By the way do we need a dual game thread tonight so we can chat about both games in the same thread?
VCoug
Member: #1406

3/15/2019  8:53 PM
Nalod wrote:
keddog wrote:

Its something we all have to live with. While what we witnessed last nite was super impressive we look at that body and power and thinking "never seen a basketball player look like that".....and thus doubts.
Is possible this draft is a one pony show or others in his shadow pale in comparison but are undervalued hype because of it.
Nalod does not know.
Reddish looks lost when Zion is on the floor. Zion just eats everthing in front of him. He steals the ball, rebounds, and scores.
Losing has its benefits but little is apparent when it happens. Losing sucks. If we had a team of vets and were tuned out, I'd be very concerned.
For sure it would be preferable to NOT lose but with the youth we have its palatable. If our youth was better we'd not lose as much.
Since we tend to extrapolate the present into the future, and media sells anger we get doses of negativity which repeats itself.
Winning cures that. Winning is not the current order. the only thing that validates success is winning. The rest is conjecture.
Nalod is full of conjecture.

I don't know why you're saying he looks lost when Zion is on the floor. Cam's also terrible when Zion isn't on the floor.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
smackeddog
3/16/2019  6:48 AM
Cartman718 wrote:1985 was 34 years ago. We are due #1

I'm still stung by that year we drafted KP- we were the only team to drop in the lottery. At the time it was a considered a 3 man draft, and we ended up with the 4th!

Nalod
USA
3/16/2019  7:56 AM
Feeling entitled after years of suffering does not change the odds as they are presented.
The lotto gods might be saying “I gave you Ewing, don’t test me”.
WE dropped and at least did not have Okafor!
Cartman718

3/16/2019  1:05 PM
Nalod wrote:Feeling entitled after years of suffering does not change the odds as they are presented.
The lotto gods might be saying “I gave you Ewing, don’t test me”.
WE dropped and at least did not have Okafor!

It doesn't change the odds but we are due. law of averages?

The 2019 Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy