Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/14/2019  7:02 PM
Cartman718 wrote:

Good one.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

2/14/2019  10:22 PM
Morant has some hops
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Chandler
Member: #6197

2/15/2019  11:21 AM
Cartman718 wrote:Morant has some hops

I watched some of that game last night. there were several things to like.

Lots of respect for the true pro scouts who can find the wheat from the chafe. there are so many college guys I could be duped into thinking will be stars or duds. (same is true but more so for baseball scouts IMO)

(5)(5)
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
2/17/2019  8:53 AM
How badly will it suck when Chicago drafts ZW?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/17/2019  10:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/17/2019  10:24 AM
Panos wrote:How badly will it suck when Chicago drafts ZW?

If we're top 3, I can live with that. Perry is making the call, Knicks can still draft a game changing player with a high pick. Someone might move up a few spots after the tournament. Zion is the first choice (of most anyway) Doncic was at available 4 though, and most knew how good he was.

He was even involved in a deal that put him in Dallas. A high pick (other than #1) will still give us great options. Confident Perry will make the most of them.

VCoug
Member: #1406

2/17/2019  2:47 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

If we're top 3, I can live with that. Perry is making the call, Knicks can still draft a game changing player with a high pick. Someone might move up a few spots after the tournament. Zion is the first choice (of most anyway) Doncic was at available 4 though, and most knew how good he was.

He was even involved in a deal that put him in Dallas. A high pick (other than #1) will still give us great options. Confident Perry will make the most of them.

Doncic was available at 3 and this year's draft isn't last year's. Last year's draft went about 7 deep with high end prospects, this one goes 1 deep and everyone else has major question marks.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
GustavBahler

2/17/2019  4:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/17/2019  4:13 PM
VCoug wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Doncic was available at 3 and this year's draft isn't last year's. Last year's draft went about 7 deep with high end prospects, this one goes 1 deep and everyone else has major question marks.

You're right. My point still stands that Doncic should be remembered as the best player in the draft, Still didnt stop ATL from passing on him for Young. Trae was my pick, figured Doncic would be gone. After Zion another team might pass on a game changer, if we're at 3, for need.

We need help everywhere. A top 3 pick who pans out, in addition to our recent draft picks, would give us a very strong youth movement. A couple of elite players (in their prime) to fill out the roster. Thats a team that can start on the road to contention. If we dont land Zion.

Thats not a bad consolation prize after decades of futility. Not worth putting all our hopes in hitting the lotto. Other good things happening with this franchise.

Dont believe this draft will only produce one success story.

smackeddog
Member: #883
2/18/2019  4:05 AM
VCoug wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

History indicates that the basketball gods formula is:

Knicks draft position= number of high end prospects + 1

so, I expect us to land the 2nd pick this year

VCoug

2/18/2019  9:14 AM
smackeddog wrote:
VCoug wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
GustavBahler

2/18/2019  10:23 AM
VCoug wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
VCoug wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Smith jr
Barrett
Knox
Vonleh
Mitch

Not saying this would be the lineup going forward. Smith jr still has to make his case to be the starting PG. To be able to put that lineup on the court, and still have the space to sign a couple of elite players, is not something from this century. Usually we have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

The two drawbacks to the Zion sweepstakes IMO are losing out on a generational (if not multi-generational) talent, and some Knicks fans letting that get in the way of enjoying a much better run franchise.

Perry/Mills are pulling out all the stops in the Zion sweepstakes, but they're not neglecting other areas, other ways to build.

Whatever happens in the draft, its a crap shoot. The only way Perry/Mills could F this up is to pass on Zion with the number one pick.

VCoug

2/18/2019  2:54 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
VCoug wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
VCoug wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Smith jr
Barrett
Knox
Vonleh
Mitch

Not saying this would be the lineup going forward. Smith jr still has to make his case to be the starting PG. To be able to put that lineup on the court, and still have the space to sign a couple of elite players, is not something from this century. Usually we have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

The two drawbacks to the Zion sweepstakes IMO are losing out on a generational (if not multi-generational) talent, and some Knicks fans letting that get in the way of enjoying a much better run franchise.

Perry/Mills are pulling out all the stops in the Zion sweepstakes, but they're not neglecting other areas, other ways to build.

Whatever happens in the draft, its a crap shoot. The only way Perry/Mills could F this up is to pass on Zion with the number one pick.

The problem is, other than Mitch, I don't like any of those players that much. DSJr is ok as a prospect but I'm not sure what his ceiling is, Knox is terrible, and Vonleh's play has basically nosedived since the new year and he isn't signed past this year.

Barrett I have major concerns with as a prospect. People keep on talking about Zion's shot as a liability, and it is, but Barrett's shot isn't any better. FT% is very predictive for shooting ability in the NBA and Barrett's only sitting around 68%. I'm not impressed by his passing and playmaking abilities and his assist and shot numbers suggest he's a chucker and a ballhog. And I'm unimpressed by his defense.

smackeddog
Member: #883
2/18/2019  3:05 PM
What’s the opinion on Cam Reddish and Rui Hachimura?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/18/2019  4:18 PM
smackeddog wrote:What’s the opinion on Cam Reddish and Rui Hachimura?

I can't get quite a feel for Cam. I wish he'd stay another year so we could get a better feel of his shot creation abilities, but that ain't happening lol Rui looks real solid as a combo forward at the next level. I like his pull-up ability and he seems to be increasing his range over time. He also looks like a hard worker. His athleticism looks solid, but that's harder to guage at the college level. You could sell me on him in the mid to late lottery.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
VCoug

2/18/2019  5:19 PM
smackeddog wrote:What’s the opinion on Cam Reddish and Rui Hachimura?

Cam Reddish is bad, really bad. He's been an ok shooter, a pretty good defender, and a total non-entity in every other facet of the game. His drives to the basket are some of the worst things I've ever seen on a basketball court. Some people have been arguing that the reason he's been so bad is because he's the 3rd option (barely, he takes 1/2 a shot/game less than Zion). But that doesn't make sense to me and, even if it is true, that mean you have to hope that he's good enough to be a 1st or 2nd option otherwise you don't get any value from him.

Rui's fine, seems like a high floor low ceiling guy. Normally, someone like him would get picked late in the 1st round but this draft is so bad he might still end up in the top 14. Reminds me a bit of Rondae Hollis Jefferson.

GustavBahler

2/18/2019  5:53 PM
VCoug wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
VCoug wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
VCoug wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Smith jr
Barrett
Knox
Vonleh
Mitch

The problem is, other than Mitch, I don't like any of those players that much. DSJr is ok as a prospect but I'm not sure what his ceiling is, Knox is terrible, and Vonleh's play has basically nosedived since the new year and he isn't signed past this year.

Barrett I have major concerns with as a prospect. People keep on talking about Zion's shot as a liability, and it is, but Barrett's shot isn't any better. FT% is very predictive for shooting ability in the NBA and Barrett's only sitting around 68%. I'm not impressed by his passing and playmaking abilities and his assist and shot numbers suggest he's a chucker and a ballhog. And I'm unimpressed by his defense.

Seen enough from Knox in half a season to say its way too early to be calling him terrible. Has accomplished enough to be given the benefit of the doubt. Knox has a real facility around the rim, as far as attacking from tough angles. That takes practice more than anything. Its not a circus shot if you practice it. Knox is getting better at attacking the rim, when he becomes a more reliable shooter, look out. Also one of the youngest players in the draft, and still growing. Not easy to take vets off the dribble consistently, under those circumstances. Needs time.

I would hold off until after the tournament to say there are no other quality picks out there other than Zion. Someone who might turn into more than a role player.

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
2/18/2019  6:22 PM
smackeddog wrote:
VCoug wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I’m cool with that. Pick #2 might prove to be the better player.

Knicks_Fan
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
2/18/2019  6:30 PM
VCoug wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
VCoug wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
VCoug wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Smith jr
Barrett
Knox
Vonleh
Mitch

You are evaluating rookies and young players like they are finished products. Easy to praise Mitch with his few nice games, but he is still inconsistent. Still a good prospect. Knox has had his many struggles, but has had his share of good games even with more pressure as the lotto pick. Vonleh might or might not be back but there is still potential there. Smith Jr. is definitely a wild card but the talent is also there. What about Trier? Frank? This is what rebuilding is all about! Lots of young players with a world of potential and lots of upcoming struggles to overcome to reach their potential.

Knicks_Fan
VCoug

2/18/2019  8:09 PM
I understand that these guys are young players and are not finished products. That doesn't mean we can't evaluate their play and judge what they're doing on the court. Being young doesn't mean that they aren't currently terrible and need to make major leaps just to be average. Knox has been terrible, one of the worst players in the NBA. He's not shooting well from any area of the floor and is terrible on drives to the basket only shooting 38.6% on layups: https://stats.nba.com/player/1628995/shooting/. And, until he gets that FT% up from a mediocre 71% his outside shot should be considered very suspect.

Even more concerning is that shooting/scoring is his best skill by far. He does absolutely nothing else on the court. His defense is basically non-existent, his rebounding is terrible for a guy his size, and his passing/playmaking is atrocious averaging 0.9 assists to 1.5 TOs per game.

GustavBahler

2/18/2019  8:37 PM
VCoug wrote:I understand that these guys are young players and are not finished products. That doesn't mean we can't evaluate their play and judge what they're doing on the court. Being young doesn't mean that they aren't currently terrible and need to make major leaps just to be average. Knox has been terrible, one of the worst players in the NBA. He's not shooting well from any area of the floor and is terrible on drives to the basket only shooting 38.6% on layups: https://stats.nba.com/player/1628995/shooting/. And, until he gets that FT% up from a mediocre 71% his outside shot should be considered very suspect.

Even more concerning is that shooting/scoring is his best skill by far. He does absolutely nothing else on the court. His defense is basically non-existent, his rebounding is terrible for a guy his size, and his passing/playmaking is atrocious averaging 0.9 assists to 1.5 TOs per game.

Knox is trying high difficulty takes to the rim. He has the green light, thats how you get good at it. Repetition. During a season made for players like Knox to work on being a threat.

Knox is trying to beat smaller,faster,defenders off the dribble. Was good enough to win Rookie of the month. Has apparently been on the top 5 rookie ladder 5 times this half season.

Is showing enough to make a case that Knox isnt one of the worst players in the NBA. He's a tall kid (growing) who is trying to play like a smaller player. Knox is learning. Maybe not as fast as you'd like.

VCoug

2/18/2019  9:17 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
VCoug wrote:I understand that these guys are young players and are not finished products. That doesn't mean we can't evaluate their play and judge what they're doing on the court. Being young doesn't mean that they aren't currently terrible and need to make major leaps just to be average. Knox has been terrible, one of the worst players in the NBA. He's not shooting well from any area of the floor and is terrible on drives to the basket only shooting 38.6% on layups: https://stats.nba.com/player/1628995/shooting/. And, until he gets that FT% up from a mediocre 71% his outside shot should be considered very suspect.

Knox is trying high difficulty takes to the rim. He has the green light, thats how you get good at it. Repetition. During a season made for players like Knox to work on being a threat.

Knox is trying to beat smaller,faster,defenders off the dribble. Was good enough to win Rookie of the month. Has apparently been on the top 5 rookie ladder 5 times this half season.

Is showing enough to make a case that Knox isnt one of the worst players in the NBA. He's a tall kid (growing) who is trying to play like a smaller player. Knox is learning. Maybe not as fast as you'd like.

Anyone can take high difficulty shots, let me know when he starts making them. Rookie of the month and being on the rookie ladder are completely meaningless.

The 2019 Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy