[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dotson may be odd man out.
Author Thread
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

11/27/2018  8:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/27/2018  8:57 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailyknicks.com/2018/11/27/new-york-knicks-rumors-damyean-dotson-drawing-trade-interest/amp/

Will be dissapointed if he gets traded. Think he was showing the most progress. Good defender and was aggressive on offense. Wondering why he has not been getting any minutes. May be the casualty of a crowded back court.

Hoped Kormet would be the one to go in order to make room for Trier even though it makea more financial sense to trade Dotson.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/27/2018  9:24 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/27/2018  9:26 AM
The 2 and three spots are very crowded. something has to give. Baker's contract is not tradable for any real value. Given he can run the point we need him in the event of injury. He is waivable. Good dude. Good hair. Buh Bye.
Dotson likely won't be signed and thus if we can get something in return that's a sustainable asset like a pick its a plus.
Trier has to be signed which is a given.
As for Dot, I like the guy and his game. Thing is Knox is the future there, Clee is there, Hardaway can be there when we go small, and our very own Frank is there too sometimes.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
11/27/2018  9:36 AM
I like DD and hope he stays and flourishes.
But if not can the Knicks FO manage a legitimate trade for another young player that might stick instead of the usual dump type trades we've seen in recent years?
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

11/27/2018  10:06 AM
I dont think Dot's going to get traded. But THJr might! Perry is not letting go of a 1.6 mill deal for a productive player just like that.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/27/2018  10:26 AM
Dotson has always had upside as a 3 and D guy, but he isn't shooting the 3-ball well enough and gets routinely beat off the dribble, so it's more theory than actual production. I see him getting moved for a 2nd round pick.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
11/27/2018  11:03 AM
TH Jr is looking like a borderline all-star. He’s not a bargain, but probably fair market value what what he is.

Dotson... well, it depends on what he projects as. At age 24, he’s shown less at the NBA level than Trier (22). If other teams see him as a 3D player and want to give us assets for him (preferably more than just a 2nd round pick!) we can let him go. Well have maximized his value as a project.

For the same size, we have Mudiay and Ntilikina - both of whom have more complete games, albeit both with holes.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

11/27/2018  11:16 AM
I think this would be a massive mistake. Trevor Ariza pt II
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/27/2018  11:26 AM
I dont get Dotson being the odd man out. Dude plays great defense, moves the ball and rebounds like its his job. He's locked in next year for cheap ($1.6mm)

Only reason I would move Dotson is if he's attached to another player with an asset coming back. He strikes me as everything we want to have hear. Good, tough young guy locked up cheap

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/27/2018  11:28 AM
You keep Dotson until his rookie contract runs out and see what he develops into. He is only in his 2nd season. And his contract lines up parallel to Courtney Lee and maybe even Thjr if he opts out for a bigger deal.

Jimmy Butler turned into Jimmy Butler his 4th season in the NBA while entering the league at 22. Not saying that Dotson will turn into Jimmy Butler but with Dotson making a cheap contract, his relative low NBA experience, and his solid production given his experience and contract. Unless a team is offering an equal prospect at a different position or an offer that we cant refuse. Would be poor management to trade Dotson.

This article also doesn't really provide any real news other than team inquiring about Dotson to see if he can be stolen. But if the deal is only a 2nd rounder or 2 future 2nd rounders then its not worth it imo.

Dotson could end up being a bargain who was retained when his contract was up who by his 4th-5th season becomes a high quality player. Muck like the Will Barton, Joel Ingles, Jae Crowder types.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
11/27/2018  11:32 AM
Dotson averaged 4pts his rookie yr, 10pts so far this season. Look across the league and you see these are common gradual raises in production.

Claris Levert 8, 12, 18pts per game.

When its time to extend Hardaway jr. Dotson may be the replacement allowing that 20mil that Hardaway will command to be used on other needs. Even if not and Hardaway is retained. Keeping Dotson in the fold gives the Knicks more options.

Nalod
USA
11/27/2018  11:58 AM
Me thinks fans like us tend to over value our players. Kid is 24 and doing well, but really where are the minutes.
Also look at our roster year over year, who would have thought we'd have infused as much yoot and upside in one year? We the knicks, we NEVER develop this!!!
But low and behold looky at what has happened. Are we better? Not now. If we can get a decent second rounder we perpetuated the asset. Is he worth more? Likely not, but I sure would like to be wrong!!!
Reezy was 19 or 20 and showed a real knack for the ball. His outside shooting needed work and when that happened he really blossomed!
sound familiar folks??
Dot is a very complete player and on a good team he might do really well. Problem is that's not us.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/27/2018  11:59 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:Dotson averaged 4pts his rookie yr, 10pts so far this season. Look across the league and you see these are common gradual raises in production.

Claris Levert 8, 12, 18pts per game.

When its time to extend Hardaway jr. Dotson may be the replacement allowing that 20mil that Hardaway will command to be used on other needs. Even if not and Hardaway is retained. Keeping Dotson in the fold gives the Knicks more options.

I agree, if we are able to keep Dotson for cheap.

newyorknewyork
11/27/2018  12:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/27/2018  12:42 PM
Nalod wrote:Me thinks fans like us tend to over value our players. Kid is 24 and doing well, but really where are the minutes.
Also look at our roster year over year, who would have thought we'd have infused as much yoot and upside in one year? We the knicks, we NEVER develop this!!!
But low and behold looky at what has happened. Are we better? Not now. If we can get a decent second rounder we perpetuated the asset. Is he worth more? Likely not, but I sure would like to be wrong!!!
Reezy was 19 or 20 and showed a real knack for the ball. His outside shooting needed work and when that happened he really blossomed!
sound familiar folks??
Dot is a very complete player and on a good team he might do really well. Problem is that's not us.

There is really minimal risk in keeping him and seeing what he develops into. The potential reward is greater then when we can command back in a trade today. Knicks also will have his rights and could match any offer. Even if he didn't play much over the rest of this season and the following. All this will drop his price tag which we could match while at the same time he will probably have developed even further along as a player.

There is still a lot of time left for the Trier vs Dotson comp to play out with them both being locked under contract. And that's if they both don't end up being the future rotation replacing Thjr and Lee.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/27/2018  12:59 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I think this would be a massive mistake. Trevor Ariza pt II
I agree
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
11/27/2018  1:09 PM
The way I see it:

* If you're able to squeeze out 2 future second round picks out of 1, you've done pretty well. Let's not fall in love here, if we can upgrade, do it, otherwise continue to develop and hope he continues to improve.
* Dotson has room to improve - like others here I was impressed by his college highlights and his 1 killer game this season. Otherwise he's been sort of meh. He didn't set the world on fire. Seems a bit passive. (Trier has set the world on fire a whole bunch of times and he's younger and less experienced...)
* So 6'7" is too small for a SF these days? What the heck!
* He looks the part (he's shredded like Lebron or Wiggins), but as others noted as a defender his assignments get around him. So his defensive potential may be overrated. As we say, some guys just have it (Ntilikina), others don't. That doesn't mean he can't carve out a solid NBA career, but it means he has to produce more in other areas to earn his keep if he's just an average defender.
* Ariza showed a LOT as a 19 year old. Demonstrated the makings of a lock down defender in the NBA. He's a different case. People were already talking about him developing into a Pippen-like player. Then we dumped him. (we traded him along with Penny Hardaway for STEVIE FRANCHISE FRANCIS - a player that SHOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME FOR the KNICKS... but wasn't)
* Dotson is probably seen by the Knicks as maybe a Courtney Lee sort of player one day. (let's not forget Lee has been on 7 teams - people don't want to pay players like this because they always think they can get something better)

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
blkexec
Member: #748
11/27/2018  2:15 PM
fishmike wrote:I dont get Dotson being the odd man out. Dude plays great defense, moves the ball and rebounds like its his job. He's locked in next year for cheap ($1.6mm)

Only reason I would move Dotson is if he's attached to another player with an asset coming back. He strikes me as everything we want to have hear. Good, tough young guy locked up cheap

One thing I've learned about the NBA is how political it is. Which is why the dude from Orlando is starting and playing, because of political pressure from Perry. And why Dotson is in these trade talk articles, is because Dotson was a Phil Jackson pick.

So I don't believe this decision is purely basketball, but rather political pressure to play others ahead of him. Personally, I wouldn't mind replacing THj with an up and coming 2-way star, at a position of need. And keep Dotson since he's contract friendly and hungry. Keeping Dotson and trading THj give us cap flexibility or the ability to pay a 2-way that impacts the game on both ends.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/27/2018  4:17 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I think this would be a massive mistake. Trevor Ariza pt II
I agree. Also, Dot's rebounding is so needed when KP comes back.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
USA
11/27/2018  4:24 PM
We drafted Dotson, Mario came as a free agent. At his salary he is not really tradable. You want to take on a replacement salary longer term? Also Mario is being given a opportunity like Mudiay. Might not work out, but it still might.
Also in the future its not a good idea to make promises and then break them. We promised Mario the minutes.

Who said Timmy is even desired to be traded by knicks? And what do you take back? Replace him with an coming 2-way star? Like Who?
Dotson is not being jettisoned because he is tainted with Phil's scent. He has a very friendly contract and we are locked up at that position. CLee has another year on his deal and again, what do you take back?
I like your ideas but they are open ended. Timmy is not a "dump". His value? Put him on a better team he is could be viewed much different. Where are with when KP gets back? I don't know either.

I get the jest of the article and agree could be the best trade option we have.

blkexec
Member: #748
11/27/2018  4:26 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

I like how Dotson impacts the offense, without isolating his teammates or over dribbling. He scores within the flow of the game.

Dotson is bigger and stronger than I thought. His only problem is hes too small to play SF and we have a glut of players at the SG spot. He doesn't the PG IQ to run a team on offense. But I love his 2-way potential.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/27/2018  4:43 PM
blkexec wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I like how Dotson impacts the offense, without isolating his teammates or over dribbling. He scores within the flow of the game.

Dotson is bigger and stronger than I thought. His only problem is hes too small to play SF and we have a glut of players at the SG spot. He doesn't the PG IQ to run a team on offense. But I love his 2-way potential.

I wouldn't say he's too small to play SF unless he's guarding LeBron or Durant. Kawhi might be the prototypical SF in terms of physical dimensions, and Dot held his own.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Dotson may be odd man out.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy