[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Woj: Melo & Rockets discussing role and future (11/15 update: Melo out)
Author Thread
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

11/13/2018  11:02 AM
Gudris wrote:
martin wrote:

Come back to Knicks :D

I actually wouldn’t mind this if he were to retire, he gave everything to this city... it’s just ashame we gave up everything to get him ! If he just waited to sign in the off season we’d probably be singing a different tune on melo.

AUTOADVERT
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
11/13/2018  12:22 PM
he didn't care about the knicks. he just wanted to be in new york city.

he woulda been cool with the nets that off season.

that's why dolan went nuts and traded for him.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/13/2018  12:32 PM
The issues had to be deeper than what was on the court for them to cut him 10 games into the season after signing him for vet min. There was no risk for waiting it out and hoping he broke out of the slump if not for outside issues. The only thing that makes sense out of cutting him is either he wanted to start. Or they felt he was hurting the club in some capacity.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
11/13/2018  12:44 PM
Statistically, Anthony replaced Ryan Anderson's production, including matador D. Of course, and Anthony had bad chemistry on the Knicks so that plays a factor.

The big loss on the court was Ariza. While Tucker is still on the team, Ariza was like the glue guy on defense. Now Ariza is enjoying his $15/yr with the Suns (though it can't be fun going from a 60+ win juggernaut to a struggling group).

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/13/2018  12:56 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:The issues had to be deeper than what was on the court for them to cut him 10 games into the season after signing him for vet min. There was no risk for waiting it out and hoping he broke out of the slump if not for outside issues. The only thing that makes sense out of cutting him is either he wanted to start. Or they felt he was hurting the club in some capacity.

i'm in this camp

normally if a guy is just not fitting he goes to the end of the bench. One might thing the Rockets thought that would be too undignified or create a distraction (Free Melo! campaign)

I have a suspicion that no team wants him at this point

(5)(5)
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/13/2018  1:23 PM
Chandler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:The issues had to be deeper than what was on the court for them to cut him 10 games into the season after signing him for vet min. There was no risk for waiting it out and hoping he broke out of the slump if not for outside issues. The only thing that makes sense out of cutting him is either he wanted to start. Or they felt he was hurting the club in some capacity.

i'm in this camp

normally if a guy is just not fitting he goes to the end of the bench. One might thing the Rockets thought that would be too undignified or create a distraction (Free Melo! campaign)

That is the best explaination. They feel he is shot. Don't want the distraction created by not playing him.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
smackeddog
Member: #883
11/13/2018  1:43 PM
Chandler wrote:

i'm in this camp

I think Morey only signed him because he told CP3 he'd try to land him last year when they got CP3 to sign with them (he failed because we ended up doing the trade with OKC), and so had to sign him this offseason. Made no sense that Morey would be genuinely enthusiastic about signing Melo, at least this way he can tell CP3- I got him like I promised, but it just didn't work out.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/13/2018  3:17 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Chandler wrote:

i'm in this camp

I think Morey only signed him because he told CP3 he'd try to land him last year when they got CP3 to sign with them (he failed because we ended up doing the trade with OKC), and so had to sign him this offseason. Made no sense that Morey would be genuinely enthusiastic about signing Melo, at least this way he can tell CP3- I got him like I promised, but it just didn't work out.

I can see that.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/13/2018  3:41 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Chandler wrote:

i'm in this camp

I can see that.

I just figured Morey was gambling on ways to maintain the talent level while curtailing luxury tax costs. Melo cost them nothing. I'm sure he would've just kept Ariza if he could. But unless you have guys who are willing to take less like the Warriors top guys, then it's tough to be a title contender for an extended period of time.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/13/2018  10:42 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:So Morey claims Melo did everything they asked of him and it confirms he is a cancer? Agree that he is nowhere near the player he was but think the Rockets have a lot of problems.

Watching Melo in OKC, it was clear he is at the end of his career. And that he cannot play a supporting role. He is/has always been a volume shooter that needs the ball in his hands......

But lets not get it twisted, yes the Rockets are not playing well but Melo has showed he cannot be a supporting role.

That's all a bunch of bull****.

What is Morey going to say when a mic is shoved in his face?

Melo is/was offensively complete. It's a testament to his offensive prowess and raw skill set. It is rare to see a player walk into the league with that kind of complete skill set.

If Melo simply chose to do it and work at it relentlessly, he could be an elite long range three point shooter at plus range. He's always been that talented as a gunner from a skill standpoint. Melo is suited for catch and shoot situations. Three point shooting is a skill that can age very well. Wade is shooting threes right now at a rate no one has ever seen before.

All Melo had to do was get in the best shape of his life, sit behind the arc offensively to space the floor, keep the ball moving and work as a 4th option bail out shooter.

He chooses NOT to play a supporting role.

Paul and Harden also draw coverage off of him. He has been getting clean looks, he's just missing them. His legs are shot, but maybe that's also a part of just not being in elite physical condition.

You and jrodmc cannot have it both ways. You can't spend YEARS talking about Melo's offensive gifts without now accepting that means he could fill any offensive role with effort and hard work and sacrifice, he simply chooses not to do it.

CAN NOT is the not the same as WILL NOT.

Again you and jrodmc pump up the same narrative - If you can't blame Melo for EVERYTHING, then you can't hold him accountable for ANYTHING. You see this kind of strategy used all the time in real life. By children. Usually when they are caught doing something dumb. It's interesting, as Melo shows less and less, the excuses you and jrodmc come up with become more and more desperate.

Melo WILL NOT play a supporting role. Guy owns all these gyms and can't pick up a ****ing kettlebell in the offseason?

Melo won't even raise his arms/hands to close out a shooter on the defensive end. I mean how ****ing lazy do you have to be to not even get your hands in the air?

Is this what is has come down to in the end? Rationalizing Melo like a 9 year old child would after getting caught stealing a candy bar at the grocery store?

The hate is deep with you. We both know why. But ok, lets talk, yet again, about someone who is not a Knick. Like gentlemen.
Whats bull****? I said Melo is not the ONLY problem Houston is having? You claim you watched all the Melo wide open jumpers missed? But somehow missed Gordon, Ennis, Harden and Pauls shooting woes? Oh but wait, a guy coming off the bench who didn't exactly chalk up MAJOR minutes with the starters, was to blame? Btw I said Melo clearly showed he was at the end of his career last year in OKC? You disagree? I Said he cannot be a supporting role type of player? Disagree? Problem is that Haters cant read context. May be your issue all along. If someone brings in some context that may actually include a reality showing Melo is not a mass murderer and you guys freak the **** out. Why? We both know. Haters got their panties in a wad whenever some mentioned Melo was the only star who actually wanted to come here in the last 25 years, that wasn't coming off double knee surgery. Fact? Oh yeah, lets blame Melo for not waiting during the offseason to sign him and avoid losing assets. I mean Dolan had nothing to do with that. Haters had an aneurysm when some mentioned that the support players brought in, except for 2012, where worth less than a bag of Berman donuts. Wrong? Probably, all those gems went on to become all stars with other teams. Melo haters freaked out when we suggested the Triangle was an old piece of ****. (Like its number one supporter, Dolans FO savior) Wrong? Did I miss what current front running team took on the Triangle or Uncle Phil. Or was it some mentioning that Melo is a future HOF and one of the best scorers in league history. Wrong? (Put that last one in so that meloshouldgo can freak the **** out and do his daily triple head twitch). So which one of those points do you consider bull****? My point has always been Melo is not the best player in the league but definitely not the cause of the **** show we call the Knciks. Difference between a hater and a real Knick fans is that a Knick fan recognizes the broader picture/ real problems and is not focused on what ONE player, he does not like, is doing.

But as true Knick fans lets keep wishing Melo breaks a leg and wife leaves him. Cuz that will help the Knicks as much as Jeremy Lin being traded and laying an egg with yet another NBA team.

Tmac said it. Dude should retire and stop this Melo-drama from tarnishing his legacy whatever it is.
He is a businessman, entertainer, and philanthropist.
He can stay around bbal also supporting kids who want to play and such.
Sometimes the best thing is to walk away. It is good for everybody.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/14/2018  8:35 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:So Morey claims Melo did everything they asked of him and it confirms he is a cancer? Agree that he is nowhere near the player he was but think the Rockets have a lot of problems.

Watching Melo in OKC, it was clear he is at the end of his career. And that he cannot play a supporting role. He is/has always been a volume shooter that needs the ball in his hands......

But lets not get it twisted, yes the Rockets are not playing well but Melo has showed he cannot be a supporting role.

Melo is/was offensively complete. It's a testament to his offensive prowess and raw skill set. It is rare to see a player walk into the league with that kind of complete skill set.

If Melo simply chose to do it and work at it relentlessly, he could be an elite long range three point shooter at plus range. He's always been that talented as a gunner from a skill standpoint. Melo is suited for catch and shoot situations. Three point shooting is a skill that can age very well. Wade is shooting threes right now at a rate no one has ever seen before.

All Melo had to do was get in the best shape of his life, sit behind the arc offensively to space the floor, keep the ball moving and work as a 4th option bail out shooter.

Paul and Harden also draw coverage off of him. He has been getting clean looks, he's just missing them. His legs are shot, but maybe that's also a part of just not being in elite physical condition.

You and jrodmc cannot have it both ways. You can't spend YEARS talking about Melo's offensive gifts without now accepting that means he could fill any offensive role with effort and hard work and sacrifice, he simply chooses not to do it.

Again you and jrodmc pump up the same narrative - If you can't blame Melo for EVERYTHING, then you can't hold him accountable for ANYTHING. You see this kind of strategy used all the time in real life. By children. Usually when they are caught doing something dumb. It's interesting, as Melo shows less and less, the excuses you and jrodmc come up with become more and more desperate.

Melo WILL NOT play a supporting role. Guy owns all these gyms and can't pick up a ****ing kettlebell in the offseason?

Melo won't even raise his arms/hands to close out a shooter on the defensive end. I mean how ****ing lazy do you have to be to not even get your hands in the air?

Is this what is has come down to in the end? Rationalizing Melo like a 9 year old child would after getting caught stealing a candy bar at the grocery store?

Ummm, dude, you got too much strawberry douche up your nose again from that fat money-grubbing beeyatch with the fake tits? I haven't posted in this meloshouldgo clusterdump HateMelorgasm until now.

I've pointed out with statistics in the past when Melo was called non-clutch by the blind and mentally maladjusted, who would rather jerk off over a bloated hemorrhoid like Paul Pierce than admit their personal pariah ranks in the top 10 all time for clutch shooting.

I've continually shown that LinLove is some sort of sad manifestation of little man issues that approximates ED over a flash in the pan. Especially by those who post other brilliance like "Well at least Marbury was a real New Yorker..."

I've pointed out to the same dumbazz blind humps that the cancer who hardly ever seldomly NEVER shares the ball led the team in assists FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON, and his teammates write glowing praise of him and his malignancies AFTER HE'S GONE. And to your obvious response to EVERYTHING "well what are they going to say?" What skin is KP getting for saying he liked playing with an iso-ball-hog-dinosaur-no-D-cancer? What misogynistic analogy are you going to share with us that gives irrefutable, first hand evidence that Lance Thomas was getting CAA money to post some teary-eyed farewell piece to Melodrama, once the cancer was gone?

I've posted, ad nauseum, the difference in our record and results pre-Melo and for the first 3 years Melo was here. Which, of course, you're going to attribute to the brilliant play of league luminaries like Tyson Chandler, JR Smith, and the ghost of JKidd. Or maybe like an overly vocal few of the other mental giants on the board, you'll mention Camby, who never really played.

I watch or listen to the games, review the clips. Melo's effort on the defensive end sucks compared to what it could have been. Always has. Is he Bargs jr? I don't think so. A few blips on the radar where he's diving into chairs and getting some slap away dunks has never had me justifying anything. That said, he's still been nowhere near the bottom on the NBA's Hustle stats. Maybe that doesn't do anything but make him a sloppy, overpaid 2 dollar ho in your esteemed eyes, but it sure doesn't make him Harden on defense.

So, if he's NEVER raising his hands on defense, what the hell are these NBA statisticians looking at? The dancing hos at halftime, while CAA and the rest of Nike fill in fake numbers for them to keep up the sneaker and jersey money that props up big oil and keeps the polar bears from finding any ice floes?

He's old. He's worn down and had one too many knee and shoulder surgeries. And he wears stupid hats. And he refuses to become a taller, fatter version of Vince Carter.

Now go away.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/14/2018  6:34 PM
jrodmc wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Ummm, dude, you got too much strawberry douche up your nose again from that fat money-grubbing beeyatch with the fake tits? I haven't posted in this meloshouldgo clusterdump HateMelorgasm until now.

I've pointed out with statistics in the past when Melo was called non-clutch by the blind and mentally maladjusted, who would rather jerk off over a bloated hemorrhoid like Paul Pierce than admit their personal pariah ranks in the top 10 all time for clutch shooting.

I've continually shown that LinLove is some sort of sad manifestation of little man issues that approximates ED over a flash in the pan. Especially by those who post other brilliance like "Well at least Marbury was a real New Yorker..."

I've pointed out to the same dumbazz blind humps that the cancer who hardly ever seldomly NEVER shares the ball led the team in assists FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON, and his teammates write glowing praise of him and his malignancies AFTER HE'S GONE. And to your obvious response to EVERYTHING "well what are they going to say?" What skin is KP getting for saying he liked playing with an iso-ball-hog-dinosaur-no-D-cancer? What misogynistic analogy are you going to share with us that gives irrefutable, first hand evidence that Lance Thomas was getting CAA money to post some teary-eyed farewell piece to Melodrama, once the cancer was gone?

I've posted, ad nauseum, the difference in our record and results pre-Melo and for the first 3 years Melo was here. Which, of course, you're going to attribute to the brilliant play of league luminaries like Tyson Chandler, JR Smith, and the ghost of JKidd. Or maybe like an overly vocal few of the other mental giants on the board, you'll mention Camby, who never really played.

I watch or listen to the games, review the clips. Melo's effort on the defensive end sucks compared to what it could have been. Always has. Is he Bargs jr? I don't think so. A few blips on the radar where he's diving into chairs and getting some slap away dunks has never had me justifying anything. That said, he's still been nowhere near the bottom on the NBA's Hustle stats. Maybe that doesn't do anything but make him a sloppy, overpaid 2 dollar ho in your esteemed eyes, but it sure doesn't make him Harden on defense.

So, if he's NEVER raising his hands on defense, what the hell are these NBA statisticians looking at? The dancing hos at halftime, while CAA and the rest of Nike fill in fake numbers for them to keep up the sneaker and jersey money that props up big oil and keeps the polar bears from finding any ice floes?

He's old. He's worn down and had one too many knee and shoulder surgeries. And he wears stupid hats. And he refuses to become a taller, fatter version of Vince Carter.

Now go away.

Einstein, who pissed on your honey nut cheerios?

Don't forget to smile, Einstein.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/14/2018  11:20 PM
Coach Knick with some insight.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
JamesKPolk
Member: #4093

11/14/2018  11:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/14/2018  11:28 PM
My final thoughts on Melo:

Carmelo Anthony is one of the most overrated 'star' players of this generation. The guy was a one-dimensional, iso-heavy player who did not make anyone around him better. He didn't pass, he didn't play defense and he took terrible contested shots. His "clutchness' was severely overrated, as he barely did anything in his time here in NY during late game situations. His overall sour attitude that he brought everywhere with him destroyed the chemistry of franchises and got coaches fired and players traded. The guy is the modern day Stephon Marbury at SF.

I don't feel sorry for Melo at all. Because through it all he has been a huge egomaniac - laughing at the notion of coming off the bench this year and last year - and refusing to fit into a team instead of having the team fit into him. His career is ending the same way Glenn Robinson's (who he most resembles as a player) did - with a whimper. He deserves nothing more. And his supporters deserve to wallow in the misery that is his entire failure of a career.

"Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world." - James K Polk
smackeddog
Member: #883
11/15/2018  5:21 AM
JamesKPolk wrote:My final thoughts on Melo:

Carmelo Anthony is one of the most overrated 'star' players of this generation. The guy was a one-dimensional, iso-heavy player who did not make anyone around him better. He didn't pass, he didn't play defense and he took terrible contested shots. His "clutchness' was severely overrated, as he barely did anything in his time here in NY during late game situations. His overall sour attitude that he brought everywhere with him destroyed the chemistry of franchises and got coaches fired and players traded. The guy is the modern day Stephon Marbury at SF.

I don't feel sorry for Melo at all. Because through it all he has been a huge egomaniac - laughing at the notion of coming off the bench this year and last year - and refusing to fit into a team instead of having the team fit into him. His career is ending the same way Glenn Robinson's (who he most resembles as a player) did - with a whimper. He deserves nothing more. And his supporters deserve to wallow in the misery that is his entire failure of a career.

He was very good in his prime- he pretty much dragged us into the playoffs twice with blistering hot stretches in the last month of the season. But he had his flaws and definitely wasn't elite. That doesn't mean he was trash. I wasn't a huge fan of his, but to be fair I think he could have been more successful than he was- part of that is on him, but definitely with us, part of it was the failure to be able to surround him with a well suited team (though that was partially down to him demanding a trade here). I found him maddening towards the end.

jrodmc
USA
11/15/2018  7:46 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Now go away.

Einstein, who pissed on your honey nut cheerios?

Don't forget to smile, Einstein.

Yet another erudite response.
I forgot to mention the cheerios; excellent point.

Say hi to Mardy Collins next time he's doing you doggie, genius.

Swishfm3
Member: #392
11/15/2018  9:37 AM

This is why I can't take members on this site serious.

Blame Melo for everything wrong with the Knicks since 1974 if you like but to say that man "the most overrated "star" player in this generation" is 100% false. Melo was a beast in Denver and his first couple of years in a Knick uniform.

Chandler
Member: #6197

11/15/2018  10:15 AM
smackeddog wrote:
Chandler wrote:

i'm in this camp

maybe. it could also be the case they genuinely believed they could somehow get some juice out of Melo and hide his weaknesses. They've been successful with stuff like that.

(5)(5)
JamesKPolk
Member: #4093

11/15/2018  11:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/15/2018  11:05 AM
Swishfm3 wrote:

Blame Melo for everything wrong with the Knicks since 1974 if you like but to say that man "the most overrated "star" player in this generation" is 100% false. Melo was a beast in Denver and his first couple of years in a Knick uniform.

You can have your opinion. I have mine.

Nowhere did I blame Melo for "everything wrong" with the Knicks. All I said was he was severely overrated. His ego and his style of play did not allow him to succeed in regards to team success. He forced a trade here. We traded a ton of assets to get him. And then he ended up Marbury 2.0. I don't think a LeBron or a Wade have the same career with NYK that Melo had. I think those guys would have been much better for the Knicks than Melo. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

"Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world." - James K Polk
jrodmc
USA
11/15/2018  11:45 AM
JamesKPolk wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:

You can have your opinion. I have mine.

Nowhere did I blame Melo for "everything wrong" with the Knicks. All I said was he was severely overrated. His ego and his style of play did not allow him to succeed in regards to team success. He forced a trade here. We traded a ton of assets to get him. And then he ended up Marbury 2.0. I don't think a LeBron or a Wade have the same career with NYK that Melo had. I think those guys would have been much better for the Knicks than Melo. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

See, this is where the hate is absolutely insipid.

He forced a trade here. What a dickhead. Imagine, actually wanting to come here. A great problem this franchise has had for so long. Genuine HOF players FORCING THEIR WAY HERE. A ton of assets. Two of those assets ended up being in the top ten list for worst contracts in the NBA. What else makes up the "ton"? Wilson Chandler? Ray Felton? Please stop.

Marbury 2.0? Marbury got us into the playoffs on his back with laughable help three years running, immediately following season after season of pure, stale, back page drama? Oh yeah, I missed those years where Melo got in the truck. Tell me another story about Lin's fabulous two weeks. Or JKidd's ability to air ball layups at the end of his career.

Glenn Robinson? WTF? Yes, Melo is exactly like Glenn Robinson, who's career trajectory compares nicely to people like Robert Reid and Johnny Newman. But of course your opinion is based on something other than Melo actually tracking to people like Rasheed Wallace, AC Green, Alex English, right? Oh wait, those are league flotsam, right?

His clutchness as a Knick of course is overrated. He never did anything here. He had four seasons here where he shot just shy of .44% from the field to tie or win in the last 30 seconds of games.

Enjoy your opinion. Enjoy being wrong.

[meloshouldgo, insert Honey Nut cheerios meme here]

Woj: Melo & Rockets discussing role and future (11/15 update: Melo out)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy